Reasons for divorce!!!

Private Poll.. Has your family ever encountered Domestic Violence?

• Nope

• Yes I wish it would stop.

• It use to, but not anymore

• Sometimes, very rare.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Now the Bible indicates (as far as i know) 1 reason for divorce and thats infidelity.

But in taking a Police Science class called Family and Initmate Violence, we talk alot about domestic violence whether it be physical, verbal or psychological abuse, can a woman rightly leave her husband if he is extremely abusive?

Sad Question to ask, cuz it does happen. :(

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Infidelity has a larger definition than that of being unfaithful to a woman sexually...

1 : lack of belief in a religion
2 a : unfaithfulness to a moral obligation : [size=-1]DISLOYALTY[/size] b : marital unfaithfulness or an instance of it

Though it does involve faithfulness in the bedroom, it also included moral obligations such as loving and caring for the wife during the poorest of circumstances. The vows taken at the altar also include staying with the other in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, in good days and bad. Fidelity is loyalty in all aspects of ones life.

A man beating a woman is NOT loyalty and therefore that is concrete ground to stand on for a divorce.

Blessings,

FOMWatts<><

Upvote 0

jayswife29

Jun 26, 2003
n.y.
Visit site
✟454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So do I. Speaking from living through that and chosing to stay anyway, I believe that when you vow in front of God to take care of your wife or husband, you are promising God and everyone else that you will love your wife as Christ loves the church. Last I checked, Jesus never beat the h*ll out of me or my kids when we got too loud. I believe that when someone is destroying the unity of marriage, when your spouse is breaking your spirit, when the person who says they love you hurts you instead, when you can't trust the person you married for better or worse, it's time to get out.

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
FOMWatts<>< said:
Infidelity has a larger definition than that of being unfaithful to a woman sexually...

1 : lack of belief in a religion
2 a : unfaithfulness to a moral obligation : [size=-1]DISLOYALTY[/size] b : marital unfaithfulness or an instance of it

Though it does involve faithfulness in the bedroom, it also included moral obligations such as loving and caring for the wife during the poorest of circumstances. The vows taken at the altar also include staying with the other in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, in good days and bad. Fidelity is loyalty in all aspects of ones life.

A man beating a woman is NOT loyalty and therefore that is concrete ground to stand on for a divorce.

Blessings,

FOMWatts<><
The Greek term for "fornication" (inappropriate contenteia)
has to do with sexual activity, not brutality, lack of care, etc.
While these latter abuses are terrible, they are not grounds for
divorce (Mt. 5:32; 19:9). This is the problem with a loose
translation that would render a term of great specificity in a more
general way, e.g., "infidelity"

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.