There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
*edited in* Nevermind. I did not open the thread for more of the same. One thing I think we can all appreciate is we witnessed another historic moment tonight.

Actually, I took a nap. But I look forward to witnessing it soon!

Upvote 0

Sweet Tooth

Jun 3, 2016
Miami, Florida
✟2,642.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Then it kind of goes against his anti-establishment and fighting until the convention drivel. Either be a career politician or be a political martyr.

Anti-establishment does not mean doing whatever fool thing comes into your head. If you're beaten, you're beaten. Try again next time.

The real-world result of becoming a martyr would be a split vote. Only a fool would pursue that.

Upvote 0

Sweet Tooth

Jun 3, 2016
Miami, Florida
✟2,642.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anti-establishment does not mean doing whatever fool thing comes into your head. If you're beaten, you're beaten. Try again next time.

The real-world result of becoming a martyr would be a split vote. Only a fool would pursue that.

There's a difference between being beaten fair and square and having people who are supposed to be impartial clearly side with the other person. The very thing this man set out to be against is the same thing that brought him down.

Some would call that ironic. I'd lump it as Shakespearean.

I'm not sure what your link has to do with Sanders keeping his job in Vermont.

Him saying that some of his stances were going to be backed by Hillary.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I don't really see what the huge disadvantage of a split vote would be for Bernie supporters. Let's take it as granted that they can't ever support Trump (given that Trump and Bernie share nationalism, commitment to the American worker, distaste for open borders among other things I don't think that it would be impossible for a Bernie voter to support Trump, but let's say that it is for the sake of argument).

Even with Trump as unacceptable, its not clear why Hillary should be acceptable. After all, she has greatly benefited from many of the very types of corruption and abuse of power that Bernie railed against and that his supporters hate. What's more, she used the same sort of corrupt means to do everything in her power to minimize Bernie and shut out his supporters. What are the chances that she's going to change her mind and start wooing Bernie's voters now? If she had any intention of doing that she would have done it in the primaries, instead of rigging the election, but at this point she has no reason to since they are assumed to be in the bag for her.

So it looks like an America lead by Hillary or Trump would be a disaster for a Bernie voter. Okay, but if that is the case, there isn't a strong preference for either. So to determine how to vote, they should look at other factors. And the most relevant would seem to be: how to prevent the primaries from being rigged again? The answer is to make sure that the DNC and the Democrats suffer for the rigging that they performed this year. A good way to do that would be to vote for a third party candidate who is closer to their views anyway. That would split the vote and get Trump in office, but so what? The alternative was Hillary. However, doing this they have a strong bargaining chip in the next round of primaries: they can tell the DNC that if they rig things against the will of the people again, then they will lose another presidential election.

Reactions: Sweet Tooth
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't really see what the huge disadvantage of a split vote would be for Bernie supporters. Let's take it as granted that they can't ever support Trump (given that Trump and Bernie share nationalism, commitment to the American worker, distaste for open borders among other things I don't think that it would be impossible for a Bernie voter to support Trump, but let's say that it is for the sake of argument).

Even with Trump as unacceptable, its not clear why Hillary should be acceptable. After all, she has greatly benefited from many of the very types of corruption and abuse of power that Bernie railed against and that his supporters hate. What's more, she used the same sort of corrupt means to do everything in her power to minimize Bernie and shut out his supporters. What are the chances that she's going to change her mind and start wooing Bernie's voters now? If she had any intention of doing that she would have done it in the primaries, instead of rigging the election, but at this point she has no reason to since they are assumed to be in the bag for her.

So it looks like an America lead by Hillary or Trump would be a disaster for a Bernie voter. Okay, but if that is the case, there isn't a strong preference for either. So to determine how to vote, they should look at other factors. And the most relevant would seem to be: how to prevent the primaries from being rigged again? The answer is to make sure that the DNC and the Democrats suffer for the rigging that they performed this year. A good way to do that would be to vote for a third party candidate who is closer to their views anyway. That would split the vote and get Trump in office, but so what? The alternative was Hillary. However, doing this they have a strong bargaining chip in the next round of primaries: they can tell the DNC that if they rig things against the will of the people again, then they will lose another presidential election.
That's a good point. Hillary did more to hurt Bernie Sanders' chances of becoming president than Trump did.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't really see what the huge disadvantage of a split vote would be for Bernie supporters..

Bernie supporters? It's not about his supporters, it's about the election, in general.

As to his supporters, though, splitting the vote means that they have no chance of winning the election. It also hurts Hillary. If your guy can't win, at least your second choice might.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,126,948.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The contrast between conventions couldn't be greater. Positive, uplifting, warm, substantive. So different from the anger and negativity of the other side, appealing to fear and prejudice. Americans you are better than that. Don't fall for the fear card.

Reactions: SepiaAndDust
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The contrast between conventions couldn't be greater. Positive, uplifting, warm, substantive. So different from the anger and negativity of the other side, appealing to fear and prejudice. Americans you are better than that. Don't fall for the fear card.
Your side plays the fear card with guns and with race.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Bernie supporters? It's not about his supporters, it's about the election, in general.

I asked how avoiding a split vote would be to the benefit of Bernie's supporters. You reply that they don't matter, all that matters is the election (and presumably you mean Hillary winning the election).

I look forward to Bernie's supporters coming back in droves after they hear that they're concerns are irrelevant, and all that matters is that they vote for Hillary like good dogs.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,126,948.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Obviously you weren't watching the convention. The overwhelming message from every speaker was positive, hopeful, and high on substance. No Chachi's on the stage--A-list celebrities, including Meryl Streep, Elizabeth Banks, and Alicia Keys--a music video with many more.

Real people whom Hillary mentored and supported, and a remarkable speech, filled not only with his trademark charisma but a great deal of heart, by President Clinton. He should have been a tough act to follow, but the most celebrated actress of our century, Meryl Streep, was more than up to the task.

Clinton said Hillary was his "best friend" and she is certainly his most loyal! They may not have had a typical love story, but I have absolutely no doubt that they love and support one another completely.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Obviously you weren't watching the convention. The overwhelming message from every speaker was positive, hopeful, and high on substance. No Chachi's on the stage--A-list celebrities, including Meryl Streep, Elizabeth Banks, and Alicia Keys--a music video with many more.

Real people whom Hillary mentored and supported, and a remarkable speech, filled not only with his trademark charisma but a great deal of heart, by President Clinton. He should have been a tough act to follow, but the most celebrated actress of our century, Meryl Streep, was more than up to the task.

One of the most common insults thrown at Trump by the left is that he is a "reality star" and as such his opinions shouldn't matter in politics.

And yet here we are told that the DNC has so much more substance than the RNC because its full of A-list celebrities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One of the most common insults thrown at Trump by the left is that he is a "reality star" and as such his opinions shouldn't matter in politics.

And yet here we are told that the DNC has so much more substance than the RNC because its full of A-list celebrities.
Yep, it's hypocritical.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,126,948.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You misunderstand.

The Republican convention was characterized by the number of people who were invited and refused to attend--politicians, statesmen, former Presidents, athletes, rabbis and religious leaders, and actors. Well-known people from every walk of life who were embarrassed to say, "I stand with him!" It was sort of like the parable of the wedding feast where no one showed up and the host made his servants scour the streets to fill the seats.

He was only able to fill his list of speakers by calling on all his relatives--and all of them combined didn't deliver a fraction of the endorsement that Bill gave Hillary, so filled with reminiscences and stories that show why he respects her so and considers her to be his best friend.

Upvote 0

Sweet Tooth

Jun 3, 2016
Miami, Florida
✟2,642.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You misunderstand.

The Republican convention was characterized by the number of people who were invited and refused to attend--politicians, statesmen, former Presidents, athletes, rabbis and religious leaders, and actors. Well-known people from every walk of life who were embarrassed to say, "I stand with him!" It was sort of like the parable of the wedding feast where no one showed up and the host made his servants scour the streets to fill the seats.

He was only able to fill his list of speakers by calling on all his relatives--and all of them combined didn't deliver a fraction of the endorsement that Bill gave Hillary, so filled with reminiscences and stories that show why he respects her so and considers her to be his best friend.

Yeah, you also had that predator, child molesting Lena Dunham on stage. Trump should just pack it in at this point.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I asked how avoiding a split vote would be to the benefit of Bernie's supporters. You reply that they don't matter, all that matters is the election (and presumably you mean Hillary winning the election).

I look forward to Bernie's supporters coming back in droves after they hear that they're concerns are irrelevant, and all that matters is that they vote for Hillary like good dogs.

They don't matter. Bernie ran his race. He lost.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,126,948.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, you also had that predator, child molesting Lena Dunham on stage. Trump should just pack it in at this point.

I was out exercising when America Ferrera and Lena Dunham were on, but I saw the FB post about their appearance today. It seemed as if Dunham had something unique and important to say--that Trump only values women for their youth and looks (which is why he keeps trading them in) and that he wouldn't value her--despite her talent, despite her Emmy Awards--because he would rate her body as a "2." That's something that women need to hear--and I do believe that most women have gotten the message.

America Ferrera countered that Donald Trump would call her a "rapist." "But you're not Mexican," Dunham reminded her. "But President Obama's not Kenyan, and that didn't stop him," Ferrera said.

The best humor is always based in the truth.

Upvote 0