Reading the Bible as a bedtime story to children?

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible is a book without any pictures whatsoever. So... do you actually read it to children? How do they respond? What questions do they ask you? Do you ask you about the nature of God or the existence of God? How do you respond?

If you were mentoring or babysitting another child, and that child is the son or daughter of an atheist/agnostic/irreligious person, then would you really read the Bible to that child or choose some other book, preferably a book with lots of pictures and more understandable and palatable to children? I mean, seriously, you may have to do a lot of explaining with all those concepts. What if the child asks you about God, sin, and salvation? How would you respond? What if the child starts criticizing the Bible? How do you respond to the criticisms?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Absolutely it is read to children. Lots of children respond very well to it. I liked the stories in Judges myself. We asked questions too, and they were answered.

I do not babysit, personally - not unless they're my own nephews, and their parents are Christians.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hestha said:
The Bible is a book without any pictures whatsoever. So... do you actually read it to children? How do they respond? What questions do they ask you? Do you ask you about the nature of God or the existence of God? How do you respond?

If you were mentoring or babysitting another child, and that child is the son or daughter of an atheist/agnostic/irreligious person, then would you really read the Bible to that child or choose some other book, preferably a book with lots of pictures and more understandable and palatable to children? I mean, seriously, you may have to do a lot of explaining with all those concepts. What if the child asks you about God, sin, and salvation? How would you respond? What if the child starts criticizing the Bible? How do you respond to the criticisms?

I wouldn't read it cover to cover, and I would want a children's picture bible. Or better still there's a version with just the pictures of the usual stories and you tell the story at a level appropriate for the child. If I were to read from a "real" bible I'd want a version in accessible language, and I'd stick to the more apporopriate stories or some of the word-picture psalms. (I read psalm 8 from the message over and over to my little girl when she was only hours old).

Anyone sitting there reading Romans or Leviticus to 6 year old needs a major thwack across the head.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Anyone sitting there reading Romans or Leviticus to 6 year old needs a major thwack across the head.

Why do they need a major thwack across the head? Isn't Romans the part where Paul evangelized to the Romans? Don't you think you need to get the message across and tell your children that they are sinners?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are countless stories suitable for a child to enjoy in the Bible. We had a whole set of Bible Story books... Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories.... with pictures (in color!) when I was a child ... I had them all to myself because my 5 brothers and sisters were all older than I and had read them all...

The stories shared the love of God with me, and good morals and ethics. By the time I was 9, though a church member... I went seeking God but didn't find Him until when I was 14 someone pointed repentance and salvation out to me...through Christ Jesus. AHHHH THEN I understood fully about the Love of God! :hug:

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The stories shared the love of God with me, and good morals and ethics.

I learned about good morals and ethics from Aesop's Fables. :)

drjean said:
By the time I was 9, though a church member... I went seeking God but didn't find Him until when I was 14 someone pointed repentance and salvation out to me...through Christ Jesus. AHHHH THEN I understood fully about the Love of God! :hug:

What do you mean by "but didn't find Him until when I was 14 someone pointed repentance and salvation out to me...through Christ Jesus"?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why do they need a major thwack across the head? Isn't Romans the part where Paul evangelized to the Romans? Don't you think you need to get the message across and tell your children that they are sinners?

The intended audience of Romans was to adults. It's really a matter of finding what is age-appropriate for children, and Romans will probably not hold the interest of a six-year-old. An eleven-year-old? Maybe, but by the time they're that age, they don't need bedtime stories read to them - they'll be reading it themselves, all you need to do is guide them. There are plenty of Bible stories which will be much more interesting to younger children, which you can explain the concepts of sin, repentance, and forgiveness from. They will of course include the many stories in the Gospels about Jesus.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hestha said:
What do you mean "no"?

Romans is not evangelising to anyone. It's a complex argument about an aspect of ecclesiology that is well beyond the comprehension of a 6 year old.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hestha said:
So, can you explain the ecclesiology?
Can I explain the issues Romans is dealing with to a 6 year old? No. Why would I want to.

I want children to learn mathematics, but I don't begin by reading them textbooks on calculus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hestha said:
Because I am not sure where you get the idea that the book of Romans is not about evangelism. :p

It's written to a church that is already evangelised. It's not addressing the question "why follow Christ".

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hestha said:
But the Book of Romans is used by modern-day evangelists in evangelizing to a crowd of unevangelized folks, isn't it?

Someone, somewhere, is probably using a bible to prop up a wobbly table.

Upvote 0