Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Also...
images
I've seen those and others. Even ten years ago the Flag wasn't as highly scrutinized. Since last July, it's been pariahed.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Southern white men have been graduating from West Point for quite some time now. Women, let alone black women, have not.
Good for them. I'm not saying they should have been diciplined, just that I can see why there were questions about the jesture.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Does the "black power" fist have a comparable history to the confederate flag?
Ask the people necklaced in South Africa by those giving the Black Power salute.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The issue is that they did it in military uniform. That's potentially a violation of DoD regulations. What they do in civilian clothes isn't nearly as scrutinized, though I suspect KKK membership wouldn't be tolerated since they are a terrorist organization.

This is a side issue which you may know the answer...I know I do not know. Over the years here I know of a few active military people coming here and posting their political views. The question to you is this OK to do under any other name except for their real ones?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is a side issue which you may know the answer...I know I do not know. Over the years here I know of a few active military people coming here and posting their political views. The question to you is this OK to do under any other name except for their real ones?
I've never heard of a regulation against it. The reason political speech is restricted in uniform is to avoid the appearance that the military is endorsing the political speech.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Didn't answer the question, you just brought up an unrelated subject using the wrong assumption that all black people are in the same lot.
The question was if the Black Power gesture had the same negative connotations that the CSA flag does for some people. The answer is "yes".

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I've never heard of a regulation against it. The reason political speech is restricted in uniform is to avoid the appearance that the military is endorsing the political speech.
I understand. Then those here who identified as active military and post their political are in violation of regulations. For all I know they are in uniform by the fact they revealed that they are active military.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I understand. Then those here who identified as active military and post their political are in violation of regulations. For all I know they are in uniform by the fact they revealed that they are active military.
No, identifying yourself as a member of the military is not a violation. It's specific to wearing the uniform. Many people go to political rallies and identify themselves as military members.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
No, identifying yourself as a member of the military is not a violation. It's specific to wearing the uniform. Many people go to political rallies and identify themselves as military members.
I said identifying as active military while stating political views.

If those women in the picture were not in uniform then we would not know they were active military. There is no indication other than the uniform

If a person here did not state they were active military, we would not know they were active military. There is no indication other than their written words.

You just gave all the power to some clothing while ignoring the true active military status is the person, not the uniform. The point is that we know the person is active military.

For all we know the person sitting at their desk is in uniform.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Very enlightening story; who knew an Aussie ever won anything? Not sure how it's relevant though. Also, the writer is confused about the definition of the word "hero".
I believe Australia wins more Olympic medals per capita than any other country. Nobel prizes, too, iirc.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Who are relevant to Americans because...?
You asked a question, I answered. You didn't specify that you only wanted American examples.

Besides, it's not some obscure reference, it's one of the most widely recognized uses of the symbol by black guerillas in South Africa during Apartheid.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I said identifying as active military while stating political views.

If those women in the picture were not in uniform then we would not know they were active military. There is no indication other than the uniform

If a person here did not state they were active military, we would not know they were active military. There is no indication other than their written words.

You just gave all the power to some clothing while ignoring the true active military status is the person, not the uniform. The point is that we know the person is active military.

For all we know the person sitting at their desk is in uniform.
I didn't give anybody any power, just conveying my understanding of the rule. Basically, military members are allowed to express political opinions, they just have to take steps to ensure they are not doing so as a member of the military, but as a citizen.

Here's a good breakdown:

http://www.dodlive.mil/index.php/20...s-for-caution-professionalism-among-military/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
You asked a question, I answered. You didn't specify that you only wanted American examples.

Besides, it's not some obscure reference, it's one of the most widely recognized uses of the symbol by black guerillas in South Africa during Apartheid.
And how would this be connected to American usage? Given these are not South Africans in the picture, it would seem odd to yoke these girls to another culture and/or country.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And how would this be connected to American usage? Given these are not South Africans in the picture, it would seem odd to yoke these girls to another culture and/or country.
I answered the question that was posed. It was about negative connotations. More pertinent would be whether it has political connotations, which it may but the DoD has found not to be the case in this instance.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I answered the question that was posed. It was about negative connotations. More pertinent would be whether it has political connotations, which it may but the DoD has found not to be the case in this instance.
Sure... although I wouldn't say the people fighting against the institution of apartheid have a negative connotation (though not surprised when the Confederate flag is called a symbol of pride, exclusive pride, but pride).

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Raised-Fist Photo by Black Women at West Point Spurs Inquiry
I think it's laughable that people think this is somehow associated with Black Lives Matter. Why? Because they're black?

...in a nutshell, for the same reason that many people would assume that white guy with a shaved head, extending his arm straight out in front of him, was affiliated with the Neo-Nazi movement.

***For the record, I'm in no way trying to compare the two groups...just simply using that as an example because it's an example of another group that's also known for striking a certain pose in pictures***

Picture in question
upload_2016-5-11_15-57-49.png

Other pictures:
upload_2016-5-11_15-58-49.jpeg

images

images

...now, do you REALLY not know why some people might come to that conclusion???

Really???

For the record, I have no issue with them wanting to take that picture or convey any ideas they want...they're free-thinking Americans, they should be allowed. But, let's not try to be intentionally naive and pretend like we don't know why people would make that sort assumption about them having a connection with the BLM movement based on the picture.

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Seriously, this peeves me to no end. Here we have 16 women graduating from West Point. 16 African American women graduating from one of the top military schools in the nation, and all people can do is complain about this picture. Had they raised their arms fully in victory, someone would've complained that they were doing the Nazi salute.

Instead of looking for ways to be offended by this, people should be exuberant over the fact that there's 16 women graduating from the school, when not too long ago the first female cadet didn't even make it the first year.

I would agree with what you said here...per my previous post, my objection was with this stated by the OP:
I think it's laughable that people think this is somehow associated with Black Lives Matter.

I have no issue with them expressing themselves with whatever kind of pose they want...free Americans have that right.

What I was objecting to in my post was this disingenuous attempt at a manufactured outrage sentiment along the lines of "gee, I don't know why people would come to the assumption that this had something to do with BLM in any way, shape, or form... must be because they have preconceived notions about black women"

Upvote 0