Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sure... although I wouldn't say the people fighting against the institution of apartheid have a negative connotation (though not surprised when the Confederate flag is called a symbol of pride, exclusive pride, but pride).
Necklacing and car bombing civilian targets. That's pretty negative in my book.

Also, I never said the Confederate flag is a symbol of pride. I said I doubt it would be able to use that excuse to get out of punishment as these cadets did with the black power salute. Pointing out the double standard that is applied.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
...in a nutshell, for the same reason that many people would assume that white guy with a shaved head, extending his arm straight out in front of him, was affiliated with the Neo-Nazi movement.

***For the record, I'm in no way trying to compare the two groups...just simply using that as an example because it's an example of another group that's also known for striking a certain pose in pictures***

Picture in question
View attachment 174296

Other pictures:
View attachment 174297
images

images

...now, do you REALLY not know why some people might come to that conclusion???

Really???

For the record, I have no issue with them wanting to take that picture or convey any ideas they want...they're free-thinking Americans, they should be allowed. But, let's not try to be intentionally naive and pretend like we don't know why people would make that sort assumption about them having a connection with the BLM movement based on the picture.
Exactly.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Necklacing and car bombing civilian targets. That's pretty negative in my book.

Also, I never said the Confederate flag is a symbol of pride. I said I doubt it would be able to use that excuse to get out of punishment as these cadets did with the black power salute. Pointing out the double standard that is applied.
Fair enough, but unlike Confederate and Nazi imagery, the black power salute has long been a cultural symbol that is not related to any specific movement. The likelihood these girls were raising their fists for the Black Panthers is remote.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Fair enough, but unlike Confederate and Nazi imagery, the black power salute has long been a cultural symbol that is not related to any specific movement. The likelihood these girls were raising their fists for the Black Panthers is remote.
I agree with Nazi imagery. There is basically nothing for it except it's association with the Nazis. The CSA flag is more nuanced, having good meanings, neutral meanings, and bad meanings depending on context and who is using and viewing it.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I agree with Nazi imagery. There is basically nothing for it except it's association with the Nazis. The CSA flag is more nuanced, having good meanings, neutral meanings, and bad meanings depending on context and who is using and viewing it.
I'm not equating the imagery of the two, but they were two political symbols mentioned above. Nazi Germany and the Confederate States of America both represent countries/states, so they can only be political where as the Black power fist may have been been a political statement, but later evolved into a cultural symbol. Can a former nation become a cultural symbol? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I would say it's unlikely.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not equating the imagery of the two, but they were two political symbols mentioned above. Nazi Germany and the Confederate States of America both represent countries/states, so they can only be political where as the Black power fist may have been been a political statement, but later evolved into a cultural symbol. Can a former nation become a cultural symbol? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I would say it's unlikely.
I think a good argument can be made for it. It's pretty pervasive around here and most people are pretty ignorant about their Civil War history. In most contexts it's a regional pride thing, even if others believe that is misguided.

But I'm not actually saying it should be allowed in the context of the photo. Just that the Black Power one is similarly nuanced.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You asked a question, I answered. You didn't specify that you only wanted American examples.

Besides, it's not some obscure reference, it's one of the most widely recognized uses of the symbol by black guerillas in South Africa during Apartheid.
Um, ok. If you think so.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. It is not for those who would infringe on the rights of others to raise their hands.

I realize this is a cosmic waste of time, but in case someone reads this who isn't completely partisan programmed:

Department of Defense
DIRECTIVE

c) DoD Instruction 1334.1, “Wearing of the Uniform,” October 26, 2005

1.1. Reissues Reference (a) to update policies on political activities of members of the Armed Forces.

4.1.1.1. Register, vote, and express a personal opinion on political candidates and issues, but not as a representative of the Armed Forces.

4.1.1.3. Join a partisan or nonpartisan political club and attend its meetings when not in uniform, subject to the restrictions of subparagraph 4.1.2.4. (See DoD Instruction 1334.1 (Reference (c).)

4.1.1.9. Attend partisan and nonpartisan political fundraising activities, meetings, rallies, debates, conventions, or activities as a spectator when not in uniform and when no inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement can reasonably be drawn.

4.1.2. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty shall not:

4.1.2.12. Display a partisan political sign, poster, banner, or similar device visible to the public at one’s residence on a military installation, even if that residence is part of a privatized housing development.

4.1.4. Subject to any other restrictions in law, a member of the Armed Forces not on active duty may take the actions or participate in the activities permitted in subparagraph 4.1.1., and may take the actions and participate in the activities prohibited in subparagraph 4.1.2, provided the member is not in uniform and does not otherwise act in a manner that could reasonably give rise to the inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement.

This isn't about anyone supporting or actually attempting the infringement of the right of someone else to raise their hands. How childish to even make such an ignorant claim. This is about the reasonable inference or appearance of official endorsement by a group of West Point Cadets while in uniform on US Military property.

That DOD chose not to pursue the matter is fine. But if you are going attempt to make an argument, at least make an actual attempt.

The black power fist isn't always an expression of racial superiority though.

Then what is it?

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
THEY ARE GRADUATING FROM WEST POINT.

African-Americans have been graduating from West Point for some years now.

As a veteran having served in combat zones I can tell you something about West Point graduates. On deployment the fact they graduated from the trade school by the river doesn't mean squat. I served with and under West Point Officers who were exceptional officers and individuals. I served with and under other West Point Officers who were absolute jokes, incompetent to the point of being dangerous. West Point attempts to make leaders. From my experience it was no more successful than ROTC or OCS. At least ROTC grads were taught how to think for themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They don't do the "Black Power" gesture down under?

Is it a "Black Power gesture" when white West Point Cadets do it?
(about 3:15 seconds in)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,876.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In the photo.

Please. Do go on.

Me: Is it a "Black Power gesture" when white West Point Cadets do it?

ChestertonIf it's a Black Power gesture, then yes.

I'm sorry, but this attempt at a clever rejoinder doesn't make any sense. Is a raised fist a "Black Power gesture" when white (and some black if you watched the video) West Point Cadets do it?

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll just leave this here:
http://www.snopes.com/2016/05/11/west-point-black-lives-matter/
The U.S. Military Academy announced today that no punitive action will be taken after an inquiry concluded that 16 cadets who appeared in a photograph with raised fists did not violate Department of Defense or Army regulations.

The inquiry concluded that the photo was among several taken in the spur-of-the-moment. It was intended to demonstrate “unity” and “pride,” according to the findings of the inquiry.

In addition to concluding there was no violation of DOD Directive 1344.10, the findings state, “that based upon available evidence none of the participants, through their actions, intended to show support for a political movement.”

“As members of the Profession of Arms, we are held to a high standard, where our actions are constantly observed and scrutinized in the public domain,” said Lt. Gen. Robert L. Caslen, Jr., academy superintendent, in a letter. “We all must understand that a symbol or gesture that one group of people may find harmless may offend others. As Army officers, we are not afforded the luxury of a lack of awareness of how we are perceived.”
tulc(is in need of more coffee!) :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,876.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Please. Do go on.
About what?
I'm sorry, but this attempt at a clever rejoinder doesn't make any sense. Is a raised fist a "Black Power gesture" when white (and some black if you watched the video) West Point Cadets do it?
How was that a clever rejoinder? It's a simple "yes".

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I realize this is a cosmic waste of time, but in case someone reads this who isn't completely partisan programmed:

Department of Defense
DIRECTIVE

c) DoD Instruction 1334.1, “Wearing of the Uniform,” October 26, 2005

1.1. Reissues Reference (a) to update policies on political activities of members of the Armed Forces.

4.1.1.1. Register, vote, and express a personal opinion on political candidates and issues, but not as a representative of the Armed Forces.

4.1.1.3. Join a partisan or nonpartisan political club and attend its meetings when not in uniform, subject to the restrictions of subparagraph 4.1.2.4. (See DoD Instruction 1334.1 (Reference (c).)

4.1.1.9. Attend partisan and nonpartisan political fundraising activities, meetings, rallies, debates, conventions, or activities as a spectator when not in uniform and when no inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement can reasonably be drawn.

4.1.2. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty shall not:

4.1.2.12. Display a partisan political sign, poster, banner, or similar device visible to the public at one’s residence on a military installation, even if that residence is part of a privatized housing development.

4.1.4. Subject to any other restrictions in law, a member of the Armed Forces not on active duty may take the actions or participate in the activities permitted in subparagraph 4.1.1., and may take the actions and participate in the activities prohibited in subparagraph 4.1.2, provided the member is not in uniform and does not otherwise act in a manner that could reasonably give rise to the inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement.

This isn't about anyone supporting or actually attempting the infringement of the right of someone else to raise their hands. How childish to even make such an ignorant claim. This is about the reasonable inference or appearance of official endorsement by a group of West Point Cadets while in uniform on US Military property.

That DOD chose not to pursue the matter is fine. But if you are going attempt to make an argument, at least make an actual attempt.

Then what is it?
Being a cadet doesn't mean you're in the military....yet.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being a cadet doesn't mean you're in the military....yet.

802. ART. 2. PERSONS SUBJECT TO THIS CHAPTER

(a) The following persons are subject to this chapter:

(1) Members of a regular component of the armed forces, including those awaiting discharge after expiration of their terms of enlistment; volunteers from the time of their muster or acceptance into the armed forces; inductees from the time of their actual induction into the armed forces; and other persons lawfully called or ordered into, or to duty in or for training in the armed forces, from the dates when they are required by the terms of the call or order to obey it.

(2) Cadets, aviation cadets, and midshipman.

Upvote 0