Raised-Fist Photo by Black Women at West Point Spurs Inquiry

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Raised-Fist Photo by Black Women at West Point Spurs Inquiry
A group of young black women poised to graduate from the United States Military Academy gathered on the steps of West Point’s oldest barracks last week in traditional gray dress uniforms, complete with sabers, for a group photo. Known as an "Old Corps" photograph because it mimics historical portraits, it was nearly identical to thousands that cadets have posed for over the decades, with one key difference: The 16 women raised their clenched fists.

The gesture, posted on Facebook and Twitter last week, touched off a barrage of criticism in and out of the armed forces as some commenters accused the women of allying themselves with the Black Lives Matter movement and sowing racial divisions in a military that relies on assimilation.
I think it's laughable that people think this is somehow associated with Black Lives Matter. Why? Because they're black?

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
6a00d8345259a469e200e553bb1ad08834-pi

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
West Point Clears Black Cadets Who Raised Fists in Pre-Graduation Photo
West Point has said that 16 black female cadets did not violate any Department of Defense or Army regulations by posing with their fists raised in a photo taken ahead of their graduation from the academy.

No punitive action will be taken against the women after an inquiry found that their gesture was intended to demonstrate "unity" and "pride," a statement from the institution said.

The statement also said that the inquiry concluded "that based upon available evidence none of the participants, through their actions, intended to show support for a political movement," which would violate DOD Directive 1344.10.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I can never remember when I am supposed to be up in arms anymore, I guess. I would have thought this was something we could have just passed on by. But apparently its a bit issue to the politically correct crowd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, this peeves me to no end. Here we have 16 women graduating from West Point. 16 African American women graduating from one of the top military schools in the nation, and all people can do is complain about this picture. Had they raised their arms fully in victory, someone would've complained that they were doing the Nazi salute.

Instead of looking for ways to be offended by this, people should be exuberant over the fact that there's 16 women graduating from the school, when not too long ago the first female cadet didn't even make it the first year.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Seriously, this peeves me to no end. Here we have 16 women graduating from West Point. 16 African American women graduating from one of the top military schools in the nation, and all people can do is complain about this picture. Had they raised their arms fully in victory, someone would've complained that they were doing the Nazi salute.

Instead of looking for ways to be offended by this, people should be exuberant over the fact that there's 16 women graduating from the school, when not too long ago the first female cadet didn't even make it the first year.
Exactly. Well said.

This is an accomplishment to be celebrated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, this peeves me to no end. Here we have 16 women graduating from West Point. 16 African American women graduating from one of the top military schools in the nation, and all people can do is complain about this picture. Had they raised their arms fully in victory, someone would've complained that they were doing the Nazi salute..
It's easy to say that, but the idea that was offered in defense of this pic--that them all raising the black power salute was nothing more than a quick celebratory gesture signifying success--is almost laughable, it's so unconvincing as an answer.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's easy to say that, but the idea that was offered in defense of this pic--that them all raising the black power salute was nothing more than a quick celebratory gesture signifying success--is almost laughable, it's so unconvincing as an answer.

How about we give these women the benefit of the doubt? They're certainly not stupid...this is West Point. Instead of automatically assuming their stance MUST be political, why not take them at face value and understand that this is a momentous occasion?

I've made it crystal clear how I feel about the Black Lives Matter, and how I felt when Beyonce had her little political halftime power show. This does not fall under that in my opinion.

Upvote 0