HisEagle

Senior Veteran
Feb 26, 2004
✟10,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Quick question for anyone who may know...

Is there any sure-fire way to keep pets free of fleas? I always thought that if your pet is on flea medications (meaning the skin treatments, pills, shampoos and powder, etc...) that it was pretty much reasonable to assume that the treatments would repel the fleas and keep them off your pet. But I found out today that my niece's dog got a flea infestation after the preventative measures were in place. She said all the treatment really does is prevent new eggs from hatching, but that the pet can still be bitten by fleas and if they are allergic, they will still scratch.

Silly me, I thought the whole point of treating for fleas was to keep the poor animal from being miserable by scratching itself all the time. So what exactly is the point in having those treatments?

Sabina41

Oct 27, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟944.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It depends greatly on the type of treatments used. Two products, Frontline and Advantage, work very well at KILLING fleas (Frontline takes care of ticks also) but they have to bite the animal first. Each is applied to the skin of the animal, absorbed into the bloodstream, and distributed evenly throughout the animal's body. The main objective of those medications is not so much to keep the animal from scratching but to prevent disease- they kill the flea or tick within 24 hours of the initial bite and it takes longer than that for either to transmit disease. You are correct in stating that if your animal has a flea allergy (not all do, so be sure to make a distinction between your pet scratching because fleas in general are itching or because it's an allergy, there's a difference) these products won't stop the pet scratching. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use them though because household or yard repelents (which many people with flea allergic animals also use) are not 100% and you need to protect your animal against disease, and not just flea bites. Hope this helps.

Oh, and please don't use products like Hartz, BioSpot, Zodiac, or other generic OTC flea products. They don't work very well and can actually be dangerous for some animals- they have a much much higher incidence of severe allergic shock than do Frontline and Advantage which are very safe.

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

sunshiinedays

Oct 18, 2005
✟8,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I moved into my home it was infested with fleas. The previous owners had four cats. Anyway, I have both a cat and a dog and tried all sorts of products to get rid of the fleas for good, but nothing seemed to work except Revolution. I spent hundreds of dollars on other products, but one dose of Revolution got rid of the problem.

Upvote 0

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
My little cat was a stray and infested with fleas. The only thing that worked was Frontline Plus. I couldn't believe it - one application and whola! No scratching, no fleas, nothing. They were all gone. And she's been fine ever since.

I think there are treatments that are ongoing, you can put on your cat whether she has fleas or not.

Upvote 0

DyingAsylum

May 14, 2006
New York
✟15,152.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Lugus said:
I've heard that garlic, as a suppliement, is great for getting rid of fleas.

I've heard the same thing about garlic getting rid of fleas but I don't know anyone who's tried it. I'd like to be able to recomend it to my customers as an alternative to chemicals. Does anyone know if garlic really does work?

Upvote 0

Bernergirl

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
✟16,161.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Politics
US-Democrat
You can also just add the Dawn to the shampoo. Let the suds sit on your dog for about five minutes or so before rinsing and voila!

I've heard soem who use garlic say it does work, I've heard some say it doesn't. <shrugs>

I personally am looking at using Adams flea & tick mist. I know a vet tech who swears by the stuff and even uses it on herself. :eek: I have used Advantage and Frontline in the past and they seemed to work fine, but we're not in a flea heavy area, so...

Chemical flea shampoos are not very good for a dog's skin or coat and, as an aspiring groomer, I would not recommend them. Natural flea shampoos, however, are fine.

You can also buy boric acid to treat your house if you have experienced an infestation. It requires a lot of sprinkling and vacuuming, but flea infestations are a pain to get rid of, so I imagine it would be worth it.

Upvote 0

HisEagle

Senior Veteran
Feb 26, 2004
✟10,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I knew about dish soap solutions, but I simply didn't understand why flea treatments wouldn't prevent the fleas from jumping on the animal. I've actually used a spray solution consisting of lavendar and eucalyptus oils on myself, and found they won't jump on you if you spray it on your clothes. So I wonder if it could be used on dogs. Would it be harmful to them?

Thanks for your responses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reilly said:
You can bathe your pet in Dawn dish liquid and that is said to kill the fleas. This is safe and is actually recommened by a lot of vets.
and they won't be so greasey either...LOL it does work!!

Upvote 0

Bernergirl

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
✟16,161.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are trying to prevent a flea infestation and you stay on top of it, Dawn works great. If you are trying to rid yourself of an infestation, Dawn is like tin foil armor.

What you use for preventative/pesticide also depends heavily on how flea-heavy your geographic location is. You can check this with your vet (I remember seeing a map of danger zones for fleas and I tried to Google it for you, but I couldn't find it...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.