Psychics

jaybird88

Jan 6, 2015
✟42,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Samuel didn't have the Spirit in him... And he still heard the lord. Back in OT they couldn't have the spirit in them , it could only rest upon them and those who it rested upon were deemed anointed.
whats the difference between the spirit on and in a person? and where is it written the spirit was never in anyone before Jesus?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
whats the difference between the spirit on and in a person? and where is it written the spirit was never in anyone before Jesus?
The event at Pentecost was a unique and new experience that reflected what Jesus had promised; that he would not leave His followers as orphans but that He would be with them at all times.
The earlier records of the OT referred to specific occasions where the Spirit of God came upon a person for a particular purpose but did not generally extend to a life time and was not something that the general population of the faithful could necessarily experience.

Upvote 0

jaybird88

Jan 6, 2015
✟42,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The event at Pentecost was a unique and new experience that reflected what Jesus had promised; that he would not leave His followers as orphans but that He would be with them at all times.
The earlier records of the OT referred to specific occasions where the Spirit of God came upon a person for a particular purpose but did not generally extend to a life time and was not something that the general population of the faithful could necessarily experience.

is this theology or does the bible say this and if so where does it say this? was faith not the same then as it is now. after Elijah passed on his bones could still bring life back to the dead, Enoch walked with the Most High, hard to imagine they did not have the spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Once at the Renaissance festival in Minnesota I was watching all the psychics giving people readings and just for fun I stood there and prayed that all their information would be wrong and the people would doubt the psychic, Ha!
Except on the OP I said that I wasn't talking about people who are professional psychics. I'm talking about normal people who just have a psychic ability.

Upvote 0

PottersHands

Jan 4, 2017
Minnesota
✟24,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but I really wanted to keep the discussing off if professional psychics.

Cool! I'm always interested when anyone tells me they "think" they have some kind of psychic ability. This doesn't happen very often but I did have a lady tell me she was doing some "house-cleaning" for people who thought something evil was in their house. Forgive me if this doesn't fall under your definition of psychic and I mean that sincerely. When I asked her about this I had a hard time finding out what she believed in which was puzzling. If someone tells me they are spiritually cleaning houses I figure I can talk about Jesus without getting the usual reaction. So I said if you're not approaching this with Jesus this can be very dangerous. I honestly think she just saw this as her sort of special gift. At no point did I hear her make a statement about her belief in Jesus. This is concerning.

Upvote 0

PottersHands

Jan 4, 2017
Minnesota
✟24,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a sampling of my own psychic experiences, see my thread "The Spirituality of Premonitions" which can be found under the "Spiritual Gifts" subforum of this site.

Can you please provide a link to this? I couldn't find your thread and want to read this. Thanks

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Once at the Renaissance festival in Minnesota I was watching all the psychics giving people readings and just for fun I stood there and prayed that all their information would be wrong and the people would doubt the psychic, Ha!
No need to pray for that.

Hey, watch my psychic gifts in action: "You are looking at a screen..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Deut 18:10,11 "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead." (So much for Harry Potter!)

Is 8:19 "When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living?" (So much for Catholics and Orthodox!)

But these are not simply issues of applying "intuition". They go beyond that. Even as an engineer I use intuition to diagnose problems. Not the same as witchcraft, but if people are involved with Tarot cards and horoscopes, yes they've crossed the line into witchcraft.

So is the occult and witchcraft the same thing?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
So is the occult and witchcraft the same thing?
Not exactly. Witchcraft is simply one form of the occult. The occult refers to the dark arts: Magic and spells, spiritism and necromancy, divination, demonism and channeling of spirits.

Witchcraft is not occultic because witches make a pact with the devil -- that kind of witchcraft isn't almost nonexistent. Witchcraft is actually an earth religion, or goddess/fertility worship. It is occultic because it uses spells/magic. So do other forms of paganism such as animism, voodoo, etc.

Using symbols to pray is not the same as magic. Praying to the dead without listening to them in return for esoteric knowledge is not the same thing as necromancy.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not exactly. Witchcraft is simply one form of the occult. The occult refers to the dark arts: Magic and spells, spiritism and necromancy, divination, demonism and channeling of spirits.

Witchcraft is not occultic because witches make a pact with the devil -- that kind of witchcraft isn't almost nonexistent. Witchcraft is actually an earth religion, or goddess/fertility worship. It is occultic because it uses spells/magic. So do other forms of paganism such as animism, voodoo, etc.

Using symbols to pray is not the same as magic. Praying to the dead without listening to them in return for esoteric knowledge is not the same thing as necromancy.

Would you agree in essence the occult is all the same thing?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Types of Witchcraft

Whatever type of witchcraft a person may be practicing, it's all of the devil. The Word of God strictly prohibits any involvement with the works of darkness. There are only two sources of spiritual power: God and Satan. Witchcraft can be simply defined as anything that derives it's power, guidance, or advice from Satan. With this Biblical definition in mind, ALL New Age practices should be considered witchcraft. Such inventions as Tarot cards, Ouija boards, Psychic readings, crystal balls, palm readings, Yoga, Astral projection, hypnosis, and horoscopes are total witchcraft because they all derive their power from Satan (NOT the God of the Bible). I plead with you to burn your works of darkness and come to the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
.....and I don't get it.
I just meant "no need to pray for it because it's all lies, cold reading, and nonsense anyway."

And by "you are looking at a screen" I meant I was demonstrating a similar degree of skill by guessing that whoever read my post would be reading it on a screen.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Whether witchcraft and the occult are the same is irrelevant. It is all toying with the powers of the enemy and is forbidden for Christians.
I didn't respond about that. All I meant was that since they have no power, their power isn't "from" anywhere.

It's like asking where my billion-dollar trust fund is "from".

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Would you agree in essence the occult is all the same thing?
Yes and no. As and intuitive, I would say it all has a similar feel, a similar aura, but there are differences in intensity.

Let me explain what I mean in more rational-speak. Ripping off a piece of pizza and embezzling $100K are both stealing, but they differ in degree. In the same way, putting together a stupid love potion that doesn't work, and summoning a real demon to curse someone's life may both be occultic, but they are very very different in degree.

Upvote 0