"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you honestly believe you are not influenced by what you watch on television, all the power to you. I happen to think people are very much influenced and affected by what they watch.
You are right. A person's spirit is affected - negatively or positively - by everything they see & hear.

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't worry Hetta, you can still watch whatever you want. There has always been everything out there on offer. I just want kids to not be able to see it, and certainly not freely in the daytime.
Some people think their right to have easy access to vulgarity is more important than encouraging the production of more wholesome viewing.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people think their right to have easy access to vulgarity is more important than encouraging the production of more wholesome viewing.

...I'm wondering if you could point out 2 posts in this thread that takes the position you describe? :wave:
tulc(doesn't remember seeing any posts that wanted what you're claiming) :)

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...I'm wondering if you could point out 2 posts in this thread that takes the position you describe? :wave:
tulc(doesn't remember seeing any posts that wanted what you're claiming) :)
a game based on definitions ... let readers decide for themselves

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
a game based on definitions ... let readers decide for themselves

That would be a "no you can't" then? All of us understand how sometimes people do create fake positions about what others believe just to try and make their own argument look better, there's no shame in admitting you were wrong. :wave:
tulc(happens to all of us at one time or another) :sigh:

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That would be a "no you can't" then? All of us understand how sometimes people do create fake positions about what others believe just to try and make their own argument look better, there's no shame in admitting you were wrong. :wave:
tulc(happens to all of us at one time or another) :sigh:
that is another game you seem to love to play
all of your posts support what I would call vulgarity

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that is another game you seem to love to play
all of your posts support what I would call vulgarity

Still can't find any posts that would support the fake position you claim people in this thread hold? I see you have however instead moved on to the ad hominem portion of our thread. :D
tulc(is expecting the "too holy to participate in this thread any longer" argument, soon followed by the righteous flounce) ;)

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Christian Spotlight on Entertainment provides reviews of movies from a Christian perspective and is worth consulting before watching something that your family could find morally offensive.

Seeing as I am on the high side of 50, I don't really think I need some "spotlight on entertainment" to tell me what I should or shouldn't watch. Most of those "reviews" I find downright silly. I'm a big girl, and I don't need Big Brother or a nanny to determine what I can or can't watch on TV/movies. Most of the ones I like are probably on the no-no list anyway for some stupid reason or another...

Yup...just as I expected...the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World movies were rated "very offensive"...probably because they talk about evolution...

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still can't find any posts that would support the fake position you claim people in this thread hold? I see you have however instead moved on to the ad hominem portion of our thread. :D
tulc(is expecting the "too holy to participate in this thread any longer" argument, soon followed by the righteous flounce) ;)
Played that game with your before tulc. As soon as posts are identified you then debate the meaning of the words. The snide nature of your posts is the reason people choose the "righteous flounce" ... you seem to enjoy goading people into making personal remarks that attract the attention of moderators.

Are you now denying that all of your posts have been in support of the right to access morally offensive material on tv? You even advanced the argument that the right to access morally offensive (vulgar) material on tv is important because this somehow protects religious freedom ... a taffy stretch if ever I've heard one!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeing as I am on the high side of 50, I don't really think I need some "spotlight on entertainment" to tell me what I should or shouldn't watch. Most of those "reviews" I find downright silly. I'm a big girl, and I don't need Big Brother or a nanny to determine what I can or can't watch on TV/movies. Most of the ones I like are probably on the no-no list anyway for some stupid reason or another...Yup...just as I expected...the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World movies were rated "very offensive"...probably because they talk about evolution...
CSOE is certainly meant for Biblical Christians rather than liberal Christians.

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christian Spotlight on Entertainment provides reviews of movies from a Christian perspective and is worth consulting before watching something that your family could find morally offensive.

Plugged In is an app my family uses quite often to help discern which movies or television is appropriate to watch. My family is large and extremely busy so it's difficult for my parents to keep up on what is playing, particularly in the theatres. My parents have come to trust plugged In to give good reviews of the movies (basically they just report the facts)

http://www.pluggedin.ca

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Played that game with your before tulc. As soon as posts are identified you then debate the meaning of the words. The snide nature of your posts is the reason people choose the "righteous flounce" ... you seem to enjoy goading people into making personal remarks that attract the attention of moderators.
Not really, usually what happens is when I point out something some posters don't seem to have considered in the position they hold and when they realize they can't refute it, some of them decide it's easier to attack the poster instead of the post. And when I point that out they usually fall back on the "You MADE me attack you!!" argument. After that fails (let's face it this isn't my first rodeo on CF) they sometimes draw their "CLOAK OF RIGHTEOUSNESS" around themselves and proclaim loudly "I will no longer engage in this discussion because you insist on not bowing to my obviously greater spiritual wisdom!" usually followed by a good flounce. A couple of days after the thread has died down most of them will pop back in and claim they have "Achieved a major victory in their defense of the Gospel and driven the "unrighteous" from this thread!!" like I said, not my first rodeo. So were we going to stop discussing me and my "support of all things vulgar" or my real position: (see below):

Are you now denying that all of your posts have been in support of the right to access morally offensive material on tv? You even advanced the argument that the right to access morally offensive (vulgar) material on tv is important because this somehow protects religious freedom ... a taffy stretch if ever I've heard one!
What I've supported is in this thread is people having first amendment rights. Always has been And a right isn't really a right unless the people you disagree with are free to ignore what you want them to do. I could explain how their being able to watch what they want to watch (without your approval) is the same as your having the freedom to tell them of your disapproval of it. I could even try and explain how it's all tied into you being free to worship how you want, free from them dictating how you should, but I suspect most of this was covered in your history classes while you were growing up. :wave:
tulc(is sipping some excellent coffee right now!) :clap:

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not too crazy about AHS...I'm more of an X-files sort of girl. I'm not a big horror fan, I'm more of a sci-fi and action/adventure type, and documentaries. However, I'm sure there would be some who would be up in arms about the documentaries I watch too...

I've never seen X Files but I've heard about it a lot. :) What else do you watch. Oh yeah well the documentaries about real life stuff prolly upset more ppl than the fantasy stuff on TV.

Yup...just as I expected...the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World movies were rated "very offensive"...probably because they talk about evolution...

For real? That's nuts! I can see it being a problem for little kids because it can be scary but offensive cause of evolution. What's next they don't let their kids play with globes cause they're not flat?

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are right. A person's spirit is affected - negatively or positively - by everything they see & hear.

Yeah but what's positive for one person can be negative for another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
CSOE is certainly meant for Biblical Christians rather than liberal Christians.

And your implication of this is against TOS...your insult is noted. Now...care to back up on that comment?

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Plugged In is an app my family uses quite often to help discern which movies or television is appropriate to watch. My family is large and extremely busy so it's difficult for my parents to keep up on what is playing, particularly in the theatres. My parents have come to trust plugged In to give good reviews of the movies (basically they just report the facts)

http://www.pluggedin.ca

Idk. I looked up the reviews for a couple of shows I watch. I didn't think it just reported the facts for them. The reviews are long, negative & judgy. :( I didn't look up movie reviews so maybe they are better. If your family likes the site more power to them. For little kids & young teens it makes sense to me to just go by the ratings. We had a block on the TV. My parents watched most shows w us when we were young so if there was ever a problem they just turned off the set. Do y'all use that site every time you watch a show or see a movie?

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Idk. I looked up the reviews for a couple of shows I watch. I didn't think it just reported the facts for them. The reviews are long, negative & judgy. :( I didn't look up movie reviews so maybe they are better. If your family likes the site more power to them. For little kids & young teens it makes sense to me to just go by the ratings. We had a block on the TV. My parents watched most shows w us when we were young so if there was ever a problem they just turned off the set. Do y'all use that site every time you watch a show or see a movie?

The movie reviews were negative also...it seemed that every movie I liked was considered "highly offensive"...I think it had something to do with concepts that most of the world accepts as fact...like evolution (Jurassic Park/World movies), or movies that are just fun to watch (MIB) that deal with extraterrestrials, or anything else. I watch TV to be entertained...most of the time. The rest it's to maybe learn something, but heck I don't think they even liked the documentaries I like to watch. It must be horrible to be so scared of having your worldview challenged that you can't even conceive that you might be wrong.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And your implication of this is against TOS...your insult is noted. Now...care to back up on that comment?
I'm not sure what your problem is. It is difficult to argue that there is not a significant difference between the views of liberal Christians and those often called evangelical, conservative or Biblical Christians. The latter view is expressed well by Christian Spotlight on Entertainment.

Upvote 0