Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure the title is the best, but I'm trying to put my thoughts down.

1. I have come to believe the Catholic and Orthodox Apostolic Succession Priesthood is a developed by man thing, not ordained by God. I don't see anyone ordained a Christian priest in the New Testament, and all the early church writings I have seen it seems Apostolic Succession was about following a chain of teaching, not some "power and authority" transfer. Would Lutheranism agree with this? If not we all need a priest with Apostolic Succession or our church service is false.

All the early church being either Catholic or Orthodox, was literally dominated by priesthood with supposed Apostolic Succession. I believe this was an error.

2. Given the above - how do I know the idea of real presence isn't a similar error that spread? Reading Scripture I could understand Jesus' teaching as symbolic just as easily as literal.

Reactions: JM

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than I will respond to this:
However Luther and Lutherans take their belief of the Real Presence straight from Scripture: " This IS my Body, this IS my Blood." Take and eat, drink, for the forgiveness of sins.
Not "this represents my Body and Blood", etc.
Also it is in the Didache, which is very early Christian document.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That part I can see - I actually struggle with that less.

The idea of a sacerdotal priesthood that is still offering sacrifices for our sins, and must be in apostolic succession the way Rome and EO teach - I am almost 100% sure is false. And that idea spread like wildfire and seems to have consumed the church for centuries.

Reactions: David Kent
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Great questions. I do not have a concrete response to offer but maybe I can direct you toward a few resources that may help.

The conservative Reformation and its theology:

Schaff on the sacerdotal system rejected:

Anglican studies deals with the different types and reasons why succession became a key factor in the early church.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not sure the title is the best, but I'm trying to put my thoughts down.

1. I have come to believe the Catholic and Orthodox Apostolic Succession Priesthood is a developed by man thing, not ordained by God. I don't see anyone ordained a Christian priest in the New Testament, and all the early church writings I have seen it seems Apostolic Succession was about following a chain of teaching, not some "power and authority" transfer. Would Lutheranism agree with this? If not we all need a priest with Apostolic Succession or our church service is false.

All the early church being either Catholic or Orthodox, was literally dominated by priesthood with supposed Apostolic Succession. I believe this was an error.

2. Given the above - how do I know the idea of real presence isn't a similar error that spread? Reading Scripture I could understand Jesus' teaching as symbolic just as easily as literal.

Hey, great questions! There's a lot that can be said about all of this because it touches on so many things! However, if I were to put it briefly-ish, I would perhaps summarise it in this way:

1. The doctrine of Apostolic Succession is something that comes from church history and not from the Scriptures themselves. That is, only church bodies that hold to some form of Holy Tradition can reasonably make this argument. This would mainly be our friends the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic, and to a lesser degree Anglicans. But the main issue with this idea is that it forces the question: which tradition constitutes Holy Tradition and how can we know? The more we reflect on this, the more clearly we start to see the different theological systems. To our main point, though, the Lutheran Church values tradition, but tradition is always governed by God's Word. So, we can make a distinction between Apostolic Succession and Apostolicity proper, which is to believe, teach, and confess the apostolic doctrine found in God's written Word.

To emphasise this a bit: The Church is called apostolic because it’s built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus as the Cornerstone. It’s also apostolic given its doctrinal and historical connection with the apostles, and that it continually sets forth the doctrine of the apostles, remains steadfast in the teachings, and carries the apostolic mission of preaching the Gospel to the whole world. So Apostolicity has to do with a doctrinal standard, fidelity to God's Word, and not a mystical transmitting of supposedly divinely instituted authority or hierarchy.

2. The doctrine of the real presence is simply the near-universal and historical position of all churches, despite all their other differences. It's not like Apostolic Succession where we can see a development of doctrine. But more than that, the Bible itself teaches it, and in a multifaceted way.

Regarding the Eucharist, Paul says: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord." — From this alone we can understand that the Eucharist is more than a mere memorial meal; it's most serious and it involves our Lord's body and blood. But to better understand what Paul is saying, it's good to reflect on Christ's institution in light of the Passover, and the Biblical concept of sacramental meals. This is something that I think is easily missed: From Genesis to Revelation, the Bible teaches sacramental eating, which is to say that, throughout the Bible, God gives promises in connection to food, which are very profound and real, and Jesus is the culmination of all of those promises. It's not accidental that Jesus instituted the Eucharist on Passover, for He is our true Passover Lamb who takes away the sin of the world. And the more we meditate on how all of this hangs together, the more profound we understand this mystery to be, and the more we rejoice in our Lord's kindness and mercy!

If anyone's interested, I touched on some of this in a speech a few months ago. I did a recording of the same talk for YouTube here:

I'd be glad to elaborate on any of this in a more systematic way if that's helpful.

God bless!

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll have to listen to this video when i have time. Yes 1 Corinthians and the Real Presence were dealbreakers for me and why I had to leave my non-denominational church( As much as I liked it) and come back to the Lutheran Church of my youth and even had me looking at both the EO and the RCC. It's in the Bible, as you say, and not just a representation or memorial.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So in Rome, they claim at the Last Supper when Jesus said "Do this in memory of Me" - that was Him ordaining them as priests. Now that's a pretty huge interpretation (or reverse engineering) to me. So I think we agree, there are no Christian priests other than priesthood of all believers and Jesus our high priest.

Now here is a stumbling block, as Jesus taught us to look for fruit, and a tree is know by it's fruit. All of the churches I have been to that teach real presence - multiple Catholic ones and one Lutheran - are literally deader than a door nail! Congregations are super old, pastors are not good preachers, not much community and not very welcoming or evangelistic.

How can these people be consuming our Lord, and look like this? While at the same time the non-Denom churches in town are growing, have more youth, better preaching, even prison ministry that is changing lives. I saw a guy preach that was in prison not too long ago, and he's amazing, and reached by prison ministry of the non-denominational church.

It's too wide spread of a thing to be coincidence.

So here is my connection. The idea that we need Christian mediator priests saturated the whole church for centuries, yet was wrong - can we agree on that?

Then it seems just as possible, and actually the two were connected - that the idea of physical presence was wrong too. And the Supper is exactly what Jesus said - a memorial.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So in Rome, they claim at the Last Supper when Jesus said "Do this in memory of Me" - that was Him ordaining them as priests. Now that's a pretty huge interpretation (or reverse engineering) to me. So I think we agree, there are no Christian priests other than priesthood of all believers and Jesus our high priest.

Now here is a stumbling block, as Jesus taught us to look for fruit, and a tree is know by it's fruit. All of the churches I have been to that teach real presence - multiple Catholic ones and one Lutheran - are literally deader than a door nail! Congregations are super old, pastors are not good preachers, not much community and not very welcoming or evangelistic.

How can these people be consuming our Lord, and look like this? While at the same time the non-Denom churches in town are growing, have more youth, better preaching, even prison ministry that is changing lives. I saw a guy preach that was in prison not too long ago, and he's amazing, and reached by prison ministry of the non-denominational church.

So here is my connection. The idea that we need Christian mediator priests saturated the whole church for centuries, yet was wrong - can we agree on that?

Then it seems just as possible, and actually the two were connected - that the idea of physical presence was wrong too. And the Supper is exactly what Jesus said - a memorial.

Well, it's a lot more complex than this. But if we were to simply look at the words of institution, we can see that they do in fact teach the real presence. That is, when Jesus said: "This is my body" and "this is my blood", we cannot take this figuratively according to the grammar that's being used, and as I mentioned in my previous post, the broader context also demands it. Now, if we were to restrain ourselves to only the words of institution, I can appreciate that the grammatical point is not easy for us to grasp in our time, as we tend to be very influenced by rationalism and Zwinglian doctrine, which is what Baptist and charismatic churches have inherited, and they wield a lot of influence in our day.

But consider the sentence: "This is my body". If this is merely figurative, which word exactly is the figurative one? Our Lord does not say "This represents my body" or "This is like my body", but "This is my body."

It can be helpful to contrast the sentence with a different example: Suppose we could say: “Caiaphas is a snake.” (Matthew 3:7, Matthew 26:57-68). The meaning being that, because he is a Pharisee, he is characterised as a snake. So we can deduce from the expression that he is deceptive and harmful, and that his doctrine is poisonous. But the figurative element in this sentence is not the word “is”, nor “Caiaphas”. Rather, it’s the word “snake”. “Is” can’t be “represents”. The sentence “Caiaphas is a snake” is not interchangeable with “Caiaphas represents a snake”. That becomes “X symbolises something symbolical”, and that’s not intelligible. That’s not how parables are arranged.

And suppose you translate “is” into “is like”, so from “Caiaphas is a snake” to “Caiaphas is like a snake”, there’s still a grammatical problem. You can say “A tiger is like a lion”, and you can reverse it by saying “a lion is like a tiger.” The meaning could be the same. But you can’t reverse “Caiaphas is like a snake” to “A snake is like Caiaphas”, because the word “snake” is figurative. This is to say that in ordinary parabolic speech, the metaphor should be in the predicate, in this case, “snake”, not in the subject, in this case, “Caiaphas”.

Even in a parabolic expression where the subject is figurative, the word “is” cannot be “symbolises”. An example of this could be Luke 8:11, where it reads: “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.” The word “seed” here is not a physical thing that represents anything — it doesn’t represent God’s Word, it is God’s Word.

Or some may argue, for example, looking at a crucifix and say: “This is Jesus”, when it’s actually just an artistic representation of Him. But as Luther points out — to say “this is my body” is not interchangeable with “this is a likeness of my body”.

Still, perhaps the most common argument against the real presence is that the words of institution — “this is my body; this is my blood” are comparable to the “I AM” statements in John. But that’s not true, because while our Lord uses expressions, those statements are literal. For example:

"So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep." (John 10:7)

Jesus does not symbolise the door. Nor is He like a door. No, He truly is the door; the door of salvation. He’s not a symbol of a door, nor is He a symbol of the door of salvation, as if salvation was through some other thing, of which He’s merely a symbol of.

This point gets clearer with the other I AM statements, and particularly this:

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)

Is Jesus saying that He is not the way, but only like the way? Is He just a symbol of the real way? Again, does Jesus claim to merely represent the truth? Is He like the truth, but not actually the truth? Again, does Jesus merely signify life? Is life found through some other person or means? No, these statements are all literal. Jesus IS the way, He IS the truth, and He IS the life.

Now, I can go on, but I'm mindful of how wordy this post is already. But hopefully this can help illustrate some of the complexity regarding the Eucharist, and that it's not as simple as many would have it.

I'd like to finish with a bit of history that I think may be helpful: This grammatical point I've expressed above presents a great problem for those who hold to memorialism, for this was recognised even by Zwingli himself, who, in some ways, is the first to deny the real presence. Although he tried to find ways around this problem, he finally admitted that he was unable to draw his conclusion from the Bible, but instead resorted to philosophy, namely, the idea: "That which is finite cannot contain that which is infinite." And while that seems logical, it's a deeply problematic statement when applied to Jesus, because Jesus is fully man and fully God. "For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily." (Colossians 2:9)

The words of institution and the context demands the real presence, and this is also why the early church believed and taught the same. Now, how Apostolic Succession comes into that has no bearing on what the Bible teaches, because Apostolic Succession is clearly from tradition and not Scripture.

Hopefully that can help shed some light on the complexity of all of this!

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I’m a huge theology nerd, but will admit right off the hop to being blind to the traditional manner in which Christianity has survived and thrived for 2,000 years. Local churches with an emphasis on 'community' are a revolving door. It has been my experience that where the Sacraments are not offered or valued people rely on the ‘pump’ so to speak. These congregations rely on entertainment, men’s groups, women’s groups, groups for widows, recovery groups, small group Bible studies, sports after evening service, Wednesday night kids club, etc. you get the point.

The church, in appearance, seems to be thriving.

They have the numbers, they have the money, their parking lots are full of brand-new vehicles… None of these things in and of themselves are bad but if that’s all they offer they are entertaining goats instead of feeding Christ’s sheep with the Sacraments. For many years I struggled to maintain the ‘pump’ in one of these congregations, leading Bible study, small groups, even running two sports programs to draw people in. Notice, we were drawing people in with ‘stuff’ and kept them busy with a ‘pump’ of community. The ‘pump’ is the emotional connect each person has based on shared experiences in these extra biblical groups. Very few people experience real spiritual growth including me! Now that I sit in a Lutheran pew I’m being confronted with Law & Gospel every Sunday, I’m being fed Christ in the Supper and I’m dealing with thoughts and emotions I’ve never had to deal with in the past. The congregation is tiny, very grey…but also very spiritually mature. This is the difference! Christ is no doubt working in every congregation where the Word if faithfully proclaimed but the fullness is in Word and Sacrament rightly administered.

I would dare to say you are looking at the revivalism and pietism taught in other non-Sacramental churches as spiritual life, which is a product of the 1700’s by the way, when they are only evidences of that emotional pump one gets from the experiences they have in the congregation. I need to point out that a tree does not choose to bare fruit and that Matthew 7 is actually speaking directly to judging false prophets and their prophecies, not churches or people. In Matthew 12 and Luke 6 the fruit is what you say not actions.

Got to run!

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Help reading:

The Way of Salvation in the Lutheran Church, by Rev. G.H. Gerberding, A.M.
https://www.amazon.ca/American-Christianity-Failed-Bryan-Wolfmueller/dp/075864941X
Amazon.ca
Protestantism - Revival, Pietism, Reformation

“Pietism sought to transcend church and sacraments. In that sense, it was a true predecessor of the revival movements in the 18th and 19th centuries and of modern evangelicalism but it was a reaction, in part, to the theology, piety, and practice of the Reformation as much as to the state churches of Europe.” Anti-Scholasticism, Revival(ism), Pietism, Or The Reformed Theology, Piety, And Practice? - The Heidelblog.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I would caution you to be highly careful of conflating a good speaker or motivator with either having or not having the Spirit. First, consuming the Eucharist in itself is not a magic action that imbibes one with the ability to speak well. Second, being a good speaker is not necessarily of the Spirit either. There are a myriad of fantastic motivational speakers that are entirely secular, and even some amazing Atheist speakers.

I am not saying that non-denominational, denominational, RCC, EO, whatever have or don't have the Spirit, I am just saying that the measure of their speakers seeming "alive" is not right. That said, a church should not be dying but churches die for a number of reasons.

I have been in RCC and Protestant churches that both had fantastic speakers - and also ones that had terrible speakers. The difference is that the Eucharist and real presence of Christ is the center of RCC and Lutheran worship, whereas that is not the case in non-denominational churches.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would caution you to be highly careful of conflating a good speaker or motivator with either having or not having the Spirit. First, consuming the Eucharist in itself is not a magic action that imbibes one with the ability to speak well. Second, being a good speaker is not necessarily of the Spirit either. There are a myriad of fantastic motivational speakers that are entirely secular, and even some amazing Atheist speakers.

I am not saying that non-denominational, denominational, RCC, EO, whatever have or don't have the Spirit, I am just saying that the measure of their speakers seeming "alive" is not right. That said, a church should not be dying but churches die for a number of reasons.

I have been in RCC and Protestant churches that both had fantastic speakers - and also ones that had terrible speakers. The difference is that the Eucharist and real presence of Christ is the center of RCC and Lutheran worship, whereas that is not the case in non-denominational churches.

It's a struggle for me. I like churches that take history more into consideration. I struggle with some of the non-denom approaches.

But the local Lutheran parishes seem to be fading fast, very old, not much youth or new recruitment. I know there are good people there. But I have a hard time with the robotic liturgies, and they just don't appear to have much life.

Do Methodists have a Real Presence view on communion?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It's a struggle for me. I like churches that take history more into consideration. I struggle with some of the non-denom approaches.

But the local Lutheran parishes seem to be fading fast, very old, not much youth or new recruitment. I know there are good people there. But I have a hard time with the robotic liturgies, and they just don't appear to have much life.

Do Methodists have a Real Presence view on communion?
I believe they hold to a receptionist point of view, that Christ is present in the bread and wine received by faith.

Edited to add:

I have the same concerns. The local LCMS Congregation is tiny and will likely be gone in 30 years. What are we to do? I'm willing to help evangelize but that's not really my calling or vocation. Our Pastor lives an hour away and is 86. I don't believe we will have a Pastor if he decides he's not up for the drive... I'm a Protestant so going East or to Rome is not an option.

Maybe a confessional Presbyterian church with a high view of the Sacraments? Methodists are super liberal even tbe conservative churches. The Anglican Church of Canada has fallen into liberalism.

Our options are few.

I'm going to continue attending the Lutheran church and just trust God while praying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's quite a phenomenon. I am in a small town, and we have an LCMS, Wells, and very conservative NALC, one Presbyterian, and the Roman Catholic church. All of the old, liturgical churches have very aged congregations, and are shrinking. In 5 years they will be really small, 10 years I don't know how they will be open.

But we have a very conservative non-denominational church in town that is growing so much, you have to be early to get a parking spot, and two Baptist churches that are similar.

Here is a major struggle for me. If Jesus is present in the Eucharist in the Lutherans and Catholics, why are they the ones in largest decline? If He is really there physically, He is the bringer of life, so it doesn't make sense.

If consuming His word brings life - that would coincide with what I see more - the places with good preaching have life and growth - the ones that don't so much are in decline. Just trying to figure things out, not passing judgement on anything here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There is always a remnant of believers holding forth true doctrine in every age. This doesn't disqualify Presbyterians or Baptists that use the word of God correctly just that they are missing the understanding of what they are doing. Your struggle was mine and is still something my wife struggles with, but your theology is based in revivalism and pietism, two schools of thought that are abbreviations in church history. What you are calling life is nothing more than an emotional pump which is why you prefer attending - it "feels good." It "feels" alive.

I can understand if you reject the true body and blood being present and desire to worship Christ in a non-demon context but I don't understand how one can believe in the true body and blood yet avoid it at the altar when offered. I honestly can't say I'll join the local LCMS congregation but my beliefs have changed, deepened, and lead me there.

Be convinced of the theology and do not become distracted by the frills.

Read the Fathers, read the Book of Concord, take your time, read scripture daily, add a prayer rule to your living. Heck, I'd even say sign up for the Exodus 90 app - I'd even join you in it if you did.

A simple prayer rule that I follow:

(light incense and candles)​
Sign of the Cross​
Confession of Sin from the Lutheran Service Book​
Apostles Creed​
Our Father​
Personal prayers​
Sign of the Cross, end​

Whatever you decide we are children of the same heavenly Father.

jm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is always a remnant of believers holding forth true doctrine in every age. This doesn't disqualify Presbyterians or Baptists that use the word of God correctly just that they are missing the understanding of what they are doing. Your struggle was mine and is still something my wife struggles with, but your theology is based in revivalism and pietism, two schools of thought that are abbreviations in church history. What you are calling life is nothing more than an emotional pump which is why you prefer attending - it "feels good." It "feels" alive.

I can understand if you reject the true body and blood being present and desire to worship Christ in a non-demon context but I don't understand how one can believe in the true body and blood yet avoid it at the altar when offered. I honestly can't say I'll join the local LCMS congregation but my beliefs have changed, deepened, and lead me there.

Be convinced of the theology and do not become distracted by the frills.

Read the Fathers, read the Book of Concord, take your time, read scripture daily, add a prayer rule to your living. Heck, I'd even say sign up for the Exodus 90 app - I'd even join you in it if you did.

A simple prayer rule that I follow:

(light incense and candles)​
Sign of the Cross​
Confession of Sin from the Lutheran Service Book​
Apostles Creed​
Our Father​
Personal prayers​
Sign of the Cross, end​

Whatever you decide we are children of the same heavenly Father.

jm
Great reply, and I'm seeking and open. Have you found a church home where you fit?

Honestly as much as I love the preaching - it's super solid and Spirit filled at the non-denominational, I am not doing back flips over their thoughts on commuion, and possibly baptism.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Great reply, and I'm seeking and open. Have you found a church home where you fit?

Honestly as much as I love the preaching - it's super solid and Spirit filled at the non-denominational, I am not doing back flips over their thoughts on commuion, and possibly baptism.
I've been attending a LCMS congregation since February. Not sure if I'll join but I don't have many options.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

You do realize the concept of priesthood doesn't require apostolic succession? Likewise, the doctrine of the Real Presence does not require a priesthood.

One can be a commited Protestant and yet affirm the presence of Christ in the sacrament.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I’m a huge theology nerd, but will admit right off the hop to being blind to the traditional manner in which Christianity has survived and thrived for 2,000 years. Local churches with an emphasis on 'community' are a revolving door. It has been my experience that where the Sacraments are not offered or valued people rely on the ‘pump’ so to speak. These congregations rely on entertainment, men’s groups, women’s groups, groups for widows, recovery groups, small group Bible studies, sports after evening service, Wednesday night kids club, etc. you get the point.

The church, in appearance, seems to be thriving.

They have the numbers, they have the money, their parking lots are full of brand-new vehicles… None of these things in and of themselves are bad but if that’s all they offer they are entertaining goats instead of feeding Christ’s sheep with the Sacraments. For many years I struggled to maintain the ‘pump’ in one of these congregations, leading Bible study, small groups, even running two sports programs to draw people in. Notice, we were drawing people in with ‘stuff’ and kept them busy with a ‘pump’ of community. The ‘pump’ is the emotional connect each person has based on shared experiences in these extra biblical groups. Very few people experience real spiritual growth including me! Now that I sit in a Lutheran pew I’m being confronted with Law & Gospel every Sunday, I’m being fed Christ in the Supper and I’m dealing with thoughts and emotions I’ve never had to deal with in the past. The congregation is tiny, very grey…but also very spiritually mature. This is the difference! Christ is no doubt working in every congregation where the Word if faithfully proclaimed but the fullness is in Word and Sacrament rightly administered.

I would dare to say you are looking at the revivalism and pietism taught in other non-Sacramental churches as spiritual life, which is a product of the 1700’s by the way, when they are only evidences of that emotional pump one gets from the experiences they have in the congregation. I need to point out that a tree does not choose to bare fruit and that Matthew 7 is actually speaking directly to judging false prophets and their prophecies, not churches or people. In Matthew 12 and Luke 6 the fruit is what you say not actions.

Got to run!

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Help reading:

The Way of Salvation in the Lutheran Church, by Rev. G.H. Gerberding, A.M.
https://www.amazon.ca/American-Christianity-Failed-Bryan-Wolfmueller/dp/075864941X
Amazon.ca
Protestantism - Revival, Pietism, Reformation

“Pietism sought to transcend church and sacraments. In that sense, it was a true predecessor of the revival movements in the 18th and 19th centuries and of modern evangelicalism but it was a reaction, in part, to the theology, piety, and practice of the Reformation as much as to the state churches of Europe.” Anti-Scholasticism, Revival(ism), Pietism, Or The Reformed Theology, Piety, And Practice? - The Heidelblog.

That's a good point. Churches are full of flawed human beings. Flawed human beings make flawed communities, flawed Sunday schools, flawed youth groups, flawed piety... you get the picture...

The one thing about the sacraments that is salient here is that they are not dependent on the worthiness of the minister.

Upvote 0