Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
So, just as a heads up, this is going to sound like an unusual relationship. LOL So, I am going to try and only give a short run-down of my story before getting to my question so my question will make a little more sense. LOL

So, I am about 5 months into being divorced. For the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been talking to this good christian guy that I like. (he has mutual feelings) We met each other thru some mutual friends. We were both at this friends for a holiday celebration. (and we both are pretty sure these friends of ours are trying to set us up to become a couple)

Anyway, we met for the first time this past May 2023. We had some good conversations that day with each other. But then we didn't see each other again till June or July. For that we went on a motorcycle ride to a city about 1.5 hours away (I rode with him on his bike). We both had a great time...even tho it rained soooo hard that day. :relieved:. Then again, we didn't see each other again until August to a fair then on another motorcycle ride that same day. That day we did exchange numbers. (all of these get-togethers were with our mutual friends)

When we got together for our first hang out with each other, we both decided that since we barely know each other, we will NOT date each other until we have been friends for a while first. Yes it is unusual to do it this way, but we also both agreed that I am still too knew into my divorce. So we want to make sure I am healed more before getting into a new relationship. Also, if things don't work out to even date, then it wont be as heartbreaking for us to just say this isn't going to work for us to move to the next step in the relationship but we can continue being friends.

As of right now, we have been talking pretty much every day by text and a couple times by phone. He has told me early on he is not a fan of being on the phone but he is ok with talking to me :relieved:, With that, I have come to realize through these conversations we have been having, that he is a really shy person. I am a shy as well but not as much as he is...which is fine. BUT I also doesn't like to start conversations or come up with things to do together while talking on the phone via text or talk. I have always been the one to do so....which again, I am ok with because I have also noticed that when we get together in person (which has been several times now since switching numbers and talking) that He asks A LOT more questions about me. So that to me showed how much he hates talking on phones. LOL

Anyway, now that you have general idea on where our relationship stands, now to the question...
I am running out of things to talk to him about on the phone. I do have things I want to talk to him when we meet in person again because some things are just better to ask in person. :) But I am going longer and longer without talking to him because a lot of the questions I ask don't continue as conversations. He just gives short answers. I try to get more out of it but I have not found it easy. I know this is not a typical relationship (I don't even know what name to put to this...Pre-dating? LOL) but when you have been thru a marriage like mine (I'm sure there's been worse) that your standards for finding someone makes you pretty cautious on your next relationship. I do NOT want another divorce...and he doesn't want one either. So w want to make sure that my next marriage will be my last and will only be the one that GOD has chosen for me. We do meet up again this weekend for another bike ride and the weekend after for dinner and a christian concert. So I know there will be quite a bit of talking then. But what can we do over the phone now and thereafter? THANKS!

• Prayers
Reactions: Paul4JC

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My thoughts:
1. Five months is not a very long time, especially if you were married for a decent length of time (more than a year). Of course, everyone heals at their own pace, but I'd be very cautious here. Putting the "just friends" label on something when you're already talking and thinking about whether you might marry this other guy...well, that's not friends. That's dating.

2. If you don't like talking on the phone, then don't talk on the phone? There's no rule that you HAVE to have phone conversations in between your hangouts. You could also try texting or emails if you'd rather just exchange short messages without the pressure of having to keep a conversation going in real time.

Upvote 0