Poster girl for ISIS killed trying to escape ... Teenage Austrian Sabra Kesinovic

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
With all due respect, their names mark them as likely being Bosnian, which is why I commented on it, as the article did not iirc- and I was directly responding to someone's post. Also, Bosnia is a Muslim country and not a city.

Based on some of the Bosnians I've known and met, I'm not at all surprised to hear a story about a Bosnian Muslim girl running away to ISIS and it ending badly for her. I was responding to a comment about the home life of people and making the connection that this particular culture plays a role in that.

Why? Trying to nit pick for a particular reason?
No, I was just wondering sounded like where she was from had something to do with it.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,070.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
There has to be some level of dysfunction in the family model for free young women to willingly seek to join a terrorist group that would imprison them due to their gender.
Well, there was that war and stuff.

Reactions: smaneck
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Agreed. I've met more than a few Bosnians (in particular) that had some seriously messed up home lives- and there was always a correlation between how much of the Islam they followed to how messed up things were. (I'd bet good money this girl and her friend are Bosnian.)

Yes, they are Bosnians. You don't suppose there might be a correlation between how Bosnians were treated by the Serbs and their willingness to participate in a terrorist group?

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Certainly these girls were raised with a very rose colored view of Islam. It wasn't until they got there and witnessed it's application that saw the truth. Then it was too late.

Think again. These girls were raised in the aftermath of a genocide against their people! That is likely what shaped their attitudes. ISIS no more represents the application of Islam than what just happened in Colorado represents the application of Christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Think again. These girls were raised in the aftermath of a genocide against their people! That is likely what shaped their attitudes. ISIS no more represents the application of Islam than what just happened in Colorado represents the application of Christianity.

Here we go again with this comparison. Why do people compare Christian extremism with Islamic extremism? I'm not blaming religion for any type of extremism-but Christian extremism is far more rare. How many news stories do you hear about it?

Reactions: My Shalom
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Here we go again with this comparison. Why do people compare Christian extremism with Islamic extremism? I'm not blaming religion for any type of extremism-but Christian extremism is far more rare. How many news stories do you hear about it?

I'm a historian not a journalist. But granted Christians currently commit fewer acts of violence in the name of their religion than they used to. However, ISIS are as far from Orthodox Islam as the "Christianity" of the Taiping Rebellion was from Catholicism. And the Taiping Rebellion resulted in the lost of 20 million lives.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm a historian not a journalist. But granted Christians currently commit fewer acts of violence in the name of their religion than they used to. However, ISIS are as far from Orthodox Islam as the "Christianity" of the Taiping Rebellion was from Catholicism. And the Taiping Rebellion resulted in the lost of 20 million lives.

Based on what? A lot of people, like Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer, believe that the teachings of Islam are the cause of it.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...and even more sad that they're murdered if they try to leave.

Under such circumstances, what else would you expect?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Based on my PhD in Middle East history and on the best scholarship on ISIS:
http://us.macmillan.com/theisisapocalypse/williammccants

That's like saying the KKK believes black people are inferior. They are both bigots. What do you expect?

How would you reply to people who agree with Pamela Geller and people like her?

There may be some truth to what she says-but there's no way you can blame all the atrocities in the middle east on religion. During wartime, there is always atrocities-for example, Nanking during WW2 and other things the Japanese and German did. Violent atrocities have been going on in war for millennia.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
How would you reply to people who agree with Pamela Geller and people like her?

I hope they are siding with her out of ignorance instead of sharing her hatred and bigotry.

There may be some truth to what she says

Not much.

-but there's no way you can blame all the atrocities in the middle east on religion. During wartime, there is always atrocities-for example, Nanking during WW2 and other things the Japanese and German did. Violent atrocities have been going on in war for millennia.

Exactly. And we can't ignore the West's legacy of imperialism in the Middle East either. This whole mess was originally created by the British who promised the same chunk of land to three different parties.

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Great news, two less ISIS terrorists to kill.

"Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?" - Ezekiel 18:23

"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," - Matthew 5:44

"With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse those who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this ought not to be so." - James 3:9-10

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I can't celebrate this news. This was a kid who succumbed to propaganda and pressure. Having learnt the truth, she tried to run, and was beaten to death. I mean, i'm not crying into my keyboard, but it's sad that 16 year olds can be groomed in this way, and even more sad that they're murdered if they try to leave.

i agree.

speaking of "grooming", would you mind elaborating on what that means?

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope they are siding with her out of ignorance instead of sharing her hatred and bigotry.

If you have never read her work then your opposition is based on ignorance. Radical Islam isn't her only point of concern, preserving First Amendment rights is also a primary. If freedom of speech is a concept you support then you already share common ground with Geller.

Not much.

This is such an easy dispersion to cast, as it requires no support or proof. If you ever actually read into that which you so blithely dismiss you would find she is quite accurate. But again you have to be willing to read what she actually said as opposed to what someone else said she said.

She is exactly correct when she points out that less than a week following the Paris attacks the majority of the American MSM, to include the New York Times and the AP, had moved on and returned to promoting and proselytizing for Islam.

Exactly. And we can't ignore the West's legacy of imperialism in the Middle East either.

Japan would have been the East.

This whole mess was originally created by the British who promised the same chunk of land to three different parties.

This mess has been going on for over a thousand years.

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?" - Ezekiel 18:23

"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," - Matthew 5:44

"With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse those who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this ought not to be so." - James 3:9-10

-CryptoLutheran

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And just when we thought the world was black and white you have to start in with all this perspective stuff.

June 11 - In a belated abandonment of its endless denials and under strong international pressure, the Bosnian Serb government make a landmark admission -- that Serbs indeed massacred thousands of Muslims at in Srebrenica, on Karadzic's orders.

Upvote 0

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ISIS no more represents the application of Islam than what just happened in Colorado represents the application of Christianity.

That would be a pretty good comparison Professor IF…

Hundreds of “Colorados” were being committed by Christians every day all over the world.

Unfortunately the lone shooter who killed three in Colorado was surpassed by the pair of Islamic militants who slaughtered 14 innocents in San Bernardino days later. The religion of peace has a death count that trumps all others.

Upvote 0