Pope Francis’ In-Flight Press Conference: God Accompanies People With Same-Sex Attraction

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And those horrors of human injustice therefore justify the equivalence or even superiority of sinful living with normal, righteous living? Francis welcomes into his precious presence such advocates of sin, while marginalizing and ignoring and insulting the righteous. Need I say to you that is wrong? I don't want to use the time to try.
It's not an either/or. Any indiscretions in whom Pope Francis chooses to allow in his presence does not change the fact that these injustices occur, and by their own merits we should oppose them. Our opposition shouldn't be dependent upon liking the Pope's actions; it should be dependent upon the fact that they are wrong and unjust.

And not liking the actions of a pope in no way justifies ignoring him. Read what Jesus said about the scribes and the Pharisees -- "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat; so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice." So yes, you certainly may believe that Pope Francis' actions in those situations are wrong. But that in no way justifies using those actions to ignore him or to ignore true injustices he may choose to bring to light.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
And those horrors of human injustice therefore justify the equivalence or even superiority of sinful living with normal, righteous living? Francis welcomes into his precious presence such advocates of sin, while marginalizing and ignoring and insulting the righteous. Need I say to you that is wrong? I don't want to use the time to try.
Depends on the accuracy of his message. Most often, I just pray for humility and obedience. I admit I do not know the real goings on, but I do know this; the gates of hell shall not prevail.
So He said, so it is.

Anxiety does not come from the Lord.

Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Francis welcomes into his precious presence such advocates of sin, while marginalizing and ignoring and insulting the righteous.

What an interesting thing to say. Almost...familiar. As if I heard it before...

"And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, 'This man receives sinners and eats with them.'" (Lk. 15:2). This is followed by the parable of the Lost Sheep. Not to mention Jesus' "Woes" to the Pharisees in St. Matthew's Gospel.

I understand your frustration, probably more than you think, but tread carefully here. Many a heresy and schism has been created due to rigorism in the Church; perhaps more so than laxity. It is more pernicious in that way.

Frankly, I don't like Pope Francis' approach myself, because I feel it has too much ambiguity. Yet, I am not the Ecumenical Pontiff tasked with pastoring the entire Flock of Christ. I am a mere Lector, and a poor & sinful one at that. I will not presume to suggest that "my way" is superior to St. Peter's Successor.

And even that being said, never once has Pope Francis taught that homosexual acts or other similar sins are permissible. What he seeks to do rather is to integrate weakness with the goal of transforming & redeeming it. The world has changed. It cares little what the Church thinks or says, especially after the abuse crisis. Thus, if the Pope thundered from St. Peter's like a half-drunk, angry Baptist preacher about sin...think you anyone would listen? Of course not. They barely listen as it is. A different approach is needed.

Keep in mind the words of the Apostle St. Paul, an evangelizer "extraordinaire" of the Church:

"To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some." (1 Cor. 9:22 ESV-CE). And: "[A]s I also try to please everyone in all I do. For I am not seeking my own good, but the good of many, that they may be saved." (1 Cor. 10:33). And: "We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves." (Rom. 15:1). Etc.

Would it be pleasing to hear Pope Francis rail against our sinful culture, hurling Papal bulls or anathemas left and right? To some maybe. A kind of smug satisfaction for those of us who are "righteous." But God couldn't give a fig about the satisfaction of the sheep in the fold compared to the dire need of the lost sheep.

Now is the situation perfect here? No, more clarity is needed. But for now I will not raise my hand (or voice) against the Lord's anointed. The prayer of St. Ephrem used in Great Lent by Byzantine Catholics might be good to pray here:

"O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant. Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen."

(The full four prostrations being optional...).

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Reflections on the Church of Francis:

Truth is not perfect if separated from love, and love is not perfect if separated from truth.
“Truth” without love is not truth, and so, hardened rigor for “law” as understood is not the way to life.
“Love” without truth, and so, modern inclusiveness, openness to all, “accompaniment” and “fellowship” in a mutually-agreed-upon silence concerning the awkward realities of truth, is not the way to life either!

A “different approach” to both of the extreme errors above is needed. The obvious need is for the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - a requirement of all witnesses in the court we must honor. AND the equally necessary presence of love - whole and complete love - with our whole heart and mind and soul and strength: we must live, witness and worship “in Spirit and in Truth.”

The seven churches in the Book of Revelation have much to reveal to us today and any day, of the temptations within man as well as those offered to men from the evil one. The evil one would subvert and destroy the witness of His Church: Jesus Christ, even in His Sacred Humanity and for us, IS the way and the truth and the life.

The seven churches include these five:
Ephesus hated the “Nicolaitans” of religious compromise (read, “false irenicism”), but failed to love perfectly.​
Pergamum tolerated “the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, that they might eat food sacrificed to idols and practice immorality. So you also have some who hold the teaching of the Nicolaitans.” (Rev 2:14-15)​
Thyatira tolerated “the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching and beguiling my servants to practice immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols.” (Rev 2:20)​
Sardis had fallen out of perfect love completely, into mortal sin - out of the state of grace - and thus was told, “I know your works; you have the name of being alive, and you are dead.”​
Laodicea, so up-to-date and cosy with the secular world that she was indistinguishable from the world. Thus the Lord would say to her, “I will spew (vomit) you out of my mouth.”​

These five of the seven churches were warned, “repent!” Only two were not so warned: Smyrna and Philadelphia were only consoled and encouraged by the Lord.
Ephesus hated perfectly (Augustine’s term), but failed to love perfectly. Repent!
Pergamum failed to hate perfectly, and thus also failed to love perfectly. Repent!
Thyatira loved notably well, but failed to hate perfectly. Repent!
Sardis was dead without holy love, and weak in what was remaining. Repent!
Laodicea was a failure of a church - become so worldly as to be judged “wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked” before God. Repent!

The world deserves true witnesses of Christ, true witness to Christ: clarity in Truth, purity in Love. Nothing less is worthy. And of His Glorious city: “nothing unclean shall enter it, nor any one who practices abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.” (Rev 21:27)

Upvote 0