On Religion: ‘Demos II’ Takes On Pope Francis And The Future Of Catholicism...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(ANALYSIS) Catholic cyberspace had a meltdown during Lent in 2022 as cardinals circulated a letter from “Demos” — Greek for “people” — an anonymous scribe claiming that “this pontificate is a disaster in many or most respects; a catastrophe.”

The author turned out to be the now-late Cardinal George Pell of Australia, who served Pope Francis as leader of the Vatican's Secretariat of the Economy.

Now, there is a “Demos II” epistle from another anonymous cardinal — criticizing Pope Francis and describing seven tasks facing the next pontiff.

“It is clear,” noted Demos II, on the Italian website Daily Compass, “that the strength of Pope Francis’ pontificate is the added emphasis he has given to compassion toward the weak, outreach to the poor and marginalized, concern for the dignity of creation and the environmental issues that flow from it, and efforts to accompany the suffering and alienated in their burdens.

“Its shortcomings are equally obvious: an autocratic, at times seemingly vindictive, style of governance; a carelessness in matters of law; an intolerance for even respectful disagreement; and — most seriously — a pattern of ambiguity in matters of faith and morals causing confusion among the faithful. ... The result today is a Church more fractured than at any time in her recent history.”

An American Jesuit, one who has influenced journalists for decades, responded in an equally blunt manner.

“In truth, Demos II is a fraud who mourns a church of the past and his own loss of power in it,” noted Father Thomas J. Reese, currently a Religion News Service columnist. “Make no mistake about it, this document is about power and influence in the church.”

Another critic of the cardinals circulating Demos II’s epistle noted that it was released while Pope Francis was hospitalized with a respiratory infection.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: DJWhalen

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sad day when even what is to be an example for the people fights among itself as if it were just another government of man rather than of the Kingdom. Human self interest pervades everything man touches always setting itself ahead of the will of God ever since the Garden.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't suppose we should be too surprised - St. Peter denied Christ three times; they all ran away when Christ was arrested in the Garden, one of them naked; Thomas would not believe unless he could see the resurrected Christ and His wounds; and more to the point two of them were jockeying to sit at the right and left hands of Christ in His kingdom.

So what's new?

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,832.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
An American Jesuit, one who has influenced journalists for decades, responded in an equally blunt manner.

I am reminded of one of the first conversations I ever had with a Catholic early on in my journey of discovery to find the historic Faith. He was a Melkite Catholic. I've long wished I could run into him again. If I remember right he was a former Baptist who had converted and he taught at a small college in the southern US somewhere.

His statement was this...
"Whenever I meet a Jesuit, I assume he is both a homosexual and an atheist until proven otherwise."

It may offend some, but I always found it entertaining. That was around 20 years ago now... how the time flies.

Upvote 0