Pope Francis’ In-Flight Press Conference: God Accompanies People With Same-Sex Attraction

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Holy Father emphasized that the Catechism teaches that people with same-sex attraction should not be marginalized.

On his return flight from South Sudan on Sunday, Pope Francis said that God loves and accompanies people with same-sex attraction.

When asked by a journalist what the Pope would say to families in Congo and South Sudan who reject their children because they are homosexual, Pope Francis responded that the Catechism teaches that people with same-sex attraction should not be marginalized.

“People with homosexual tendencies are children of God. God loves them. God accompanies them,” the Pope said during an in-flight press conference on his return from Juba on Feb. 5.

“To condemn someone like this is a sin. Criminalizing people with homosexual tendencies is an injustice,” he added.

In a first for a papal trip, Pope Francis was joined for the in-flight press conference by two other Christian leaders: his Anglican counterpart, Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, and the moderator of the Church of Scotland, Iain Greenshields, who also took part in the “ecumenical pilgrimage of peace” in South Sudan Feb. 3-5.

Together, the three Christian leaders answered questions and spoke about South Sudan’s peace process, the war in Ukraine, and mining in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: St_Worm2

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Michie, could you explain what the Pontiff meant (particularly the extent of his meaning in the parts of text below in bold)? IOW, what did he mean and about whom was he actually speaking?

Is he, for instance, speaking to all LGBTQ++ (as a whole), or is he speaking only to those who have "tendencies" and "attraction", but have chosen not to act on their "tendencies" and/or "attractions"? Also, how are these people, whoever they are, being "marginalized" and/or "criminalized" because of their "tendencies" and "attractions"?

His words come across (to me anyway) like a political "word salad", which is why I want to be sure that I understand what he meant by them!

--David

Pope Francis responded that the Catechism teaches that people with same-sex ~attraction~ should not be ~marginalized~.
“People with homosexual ~tendencies~ are children of God. God loves them. God ~accompanies~ them,” the Pope said during an in-flight press conference on his return from Juba on Feb. 5.
“To condemn someone like this is a sin. Criminalizing people with homosexual ~tendencies~ is an injustice,” he added.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello @Michie, could you explain what the Pontiff meant (particularly the extent of his meaning in the parts of text below in bold)? IOW, what did he mean and about whom was he actually speaking?

Is he, for instance, speaking to all LGBTQ++ (as a whole), or is he speaking only to those who have "tendencies" and "attraction", but have chosen not to act on their "tendencies" and/or "attractions"? Also, how are these people, whoever they are, being "marginalized" and/or "criminalized" because of their "tendencies" and "attractions"?

His words come across (to me anyway) like a political "word salad", which is why I want to be sure that I understand what he meant by them!

--David

Pope Francis responded that the Catechism teaches that people with same-sex ~attraction~ should not be ~marginalized~.
“People with homosexual ~tendencies~ are children of God. God loves them. God ~accompanies~ them,” the Pope said during an in-flight press conference on his return from Juba on Feb. 5.
“To condemn someone like this is a sin. Criminalizing people with homosexual ~tendencies~ is an injustice,” he added.
He means homosexual sex is a sin. But criminalizing it with unjust laws is also a sin. It is not a sin to be homosexual. Acting on those urges is as far as the teachings in RCC. Applying inhumane laws to homosexuals is not just. We are to treat them with same humanity and respect as we would anyone. Laws in certain countries are way over the top when it comes to homosexuality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Pope is correct in what he said. I would be happier if he had followed it up with saying, "But while homosexual people must not be marginalized, active homosexual behavior also cannot be condoned or approved by the Church."

That would have been better than simply leaving it where he did, because the secular media and the militant Left will take what he did say and distort it all out of proportion, and make it sound as if the Pope approves of any and all homosexual behavior, which he certainly did not, nor can he.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Pope is correct in what he said. I would be happier if he had followed it up with saying, "But while homosexual people must not be marginalized, active homosexual behavior also cannot be condoned or approved by the Church."

That would have been better than simply leaving it where he did, because the secular media and the militant Left will take what he did say and distort it all out of proportion, and make it sound as if the Pope approves of any and all homosexual behavior, which he certainly did not, nor can he.
He has before inlcuded in similar statements that to engage in the behavior is sinful. The media just leaves that part out. As does James Martin.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He has before inlcuded in similar statements that to engage in the behavior is sinful. The media just leaves that part out. As does James Martin.
I know. But there's no need to help the media in their distortions. :) As for Mssr. Martin, he should simply be defrocked and excommunicated.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know. But there's no need to help the media in their distortions. :) As for Mssr. Martin, he should simply be defrocked and excommunicated.
I think the only way to not help the media in their distortions would be to not speak at all. And they'd spin that too.

Agree about James Martin.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think the only way to not help the media in their distortions would be to not speak at all. And they'd spin that too.

Agree about James Martin.
Uncorrected ambiguity smells like intentional duplicity. Add constant, persistent uncorrected ambiguity and we see "word salad" on the Vatican menu ad nauseam.

Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Holy Father emphasized that the Catechism teaches that people with same-sex attraction should not be marginalized.

Indeed. Marginalization in modern society on the grounds of same-sex attraction or other disorders is not just discrimination. Moreover, when it is done it increases drastically the possibility that the soul will not respond to God or to the Truth, but will rebel further. Even St. Paul understands this in 2 Cor.

On his return flight from South Sudan on Sunday, Pope Francis said that God loves and accompanies people with same-sex attraction.

Yes, He does. I have seen it. It is a truly painful, frustrating, and difficult cross to bear. Yet, it is a unique cross that, if borne for love of God, can blossom into something truly extraordinary in terms of intimacy with Christ. And even for those lost in the disorder, God does not forsake them. No, it seems He is more solicitous even...as though His mercy is drawn by the heaviness of this cross.

When asked by a journalist what the Pope would say to families in Congo and South Sudan who reject their children because they are homosexual, Pope Francis responded that the Catechism teaches that people with same-sex attraction should not be marginalized.

A more diplomatic answer for our current Ecumenical Pontiff...interesting. In any case, he's right again. Moreover, the destruction that can be caused by disowning or shunning a child with homosexual or other disorders can be profound. Certainly, there's room for setting boundaries if the child insists on living a certain way on the part of the parents, and also depending on whether the child is an adult or not. And yet, to reject a child, youth or adult, is not love. God is our example in this (Ps. 27:10).

“People with homosexual tendencies are children of God. God loves them. God accompanies them,” the Pope said during an in-flight press conference on his return from Juba on Feb. 5.

“To condemn someone like this is a sin. Criminalizing people with homosexual tendencies is an injustice,” he added.

It is telling here that the Ecumenical Pontiff uses the phrase "homosexual tendencies," as this is quite different from living in a homosexual or bisexual way. Indeed, homosexual or bisexual tendencies, attractions, etc. are not sinful anymore than any other temptation, however disordered in nature they may be. Hence, condemnation of a person simply on the grounds that they experience this rather mysterious malady is, indeed, sinful. It offends against charity. Criminalizing people with such tendencies is even worse, as it is the sin of holding captive.

The question of criminalizing homosexual behavior is more tricky in my mind. I don't think a generalized approach would be prudent, yet there may be cases where society requires protection from certain forms of especially depraved homosexual sin (e.g. Sodom as described by the Bible). But, of course, this would apply very much in other sins too: if adultery was rampant and had no deterrent, or if stealing was commonplace and there was no repercussion. Yet, I don't quite see the point in using modern criminal justice to penalize adulterers or consensual homosexual partners. Both need the healing of repentance and to be drawn to the Truth. One must balance between deterrent and salvation of souls.

In a first for a papal trip, Pope Francis was joined for the in-flight press conference by two other Christian leaders: his Anglican counterpart, Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, and the moderator of the Church of Scotland, Iain Greenshields, who also took part in the “ecumenical pilgrimage of peace” in South Sudan Feb. 3-5.

Very good to see. I have great respect for Rev. Welby, and recently the Kirk signed a historic agreement of friendship with their once-hated "Papist" Scots. Familiarity with "the other" in human life is a good way to begin effectively spreading the Truth.

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Nobody needs to help the media... they redo everything he says, anyway. :unamused:

Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think it is nice that pope is able to give a good image of the church when speaking about political things like this. Many people have antagonized the church because of homophobia, and in many ways they are right. We historically have been the reason they walked away from God and because of this the Pope is trying to make everybody remember the ever loving reality of God.

Contrary, I sometimes feel that his positive/loving comments makes the church look like a sell out. Sure, we should let them know God loves them nevertheless, I think that sometimes his "God loves them too" responses end up like butt kissing for PR to me. Like how business' would do to damage control so they don't lose followers.

I don't agree with everything about this LGBT stuff, I don't know as to how true the science is. I will never use religion as a reason to argue against it even if I am cornered to do so. I know that I have my own life to work on, I have my own sins to battle, sins that could be worse than many gay people in my area by comparison. I think something like this is what should be used in response.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Uncorrected ambiguity smells like intentional duplicity. Add constant, persistent uncorrected ambiguity and we see "word salad" on the Vatican menu ad nauseam.
It's not being ambiguous to state that homosexual persons should not be unjustly discriminated against.

Catholic teaching is clear that to engage in homosexual behavior is a sin and Pope Francis had confirmed that on numerous occasions.

But if he doesn't say it every single time he mentions unjust treatment of homosexual persons, then some want to claim he's not being clear. He has been clear. But to admit that evidently doesn't meet their agenda.

And even if he does say it, some will choose to ignore it because it doesn't meet their agenda.

And what gets lost in all agenda pushing is the point he's been trying to make -- there are countries who believe it is okay to murder people who engage in homosexual behavior. And that is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's not being ambiguous to state that homosexual persons should not be unjustly discriminated against.

Catholic teaching is clear that to engage in homosexual behavior is a sin and Pope Francis had confirmed that on numerous occasions.

But if he doesn't say it every single time he mentions unjust treatment of homosexual persons, then some want to claim he's not being clear. He has been clear. But to admit that evidently doesn't meet their agenda.

And even if he does say it, some will choose to ignore it because it doesn't meet their agenda.

And what gets lost in all agenda pushing is the point he's been trying to make -- there are countries who believe it is okay to murder people who engage in homosexual behavior. And that is wrong.
I know some who quoted PARTS of what he said, then say it is ok to 'be' gay and do as they please.
Which differs from the same we all face... to live life for the Lord and put away the things of the world, and temptations.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Believe as you will.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know some who quoted PARTS of what he said, then say it is ok to 'be' gay and do as they please.
Which differs from the same we all face... to live life for the Lord and put away the things of the world, and temptations.
People are very big about quoting part of what he says and ignoring what they don't want to hear. On both sides of the fence it seems to me.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Believe as you will.
About what in particular? That it's wrong to murder people because they engage in homosexual behavior?

In the early 80s I went to work in a plant environment. The manager there shared with me one day that he would fire someone if he found out they were homosexual because it would make the other men "uncomfortable." Not because the person had done anything -- simply by knowing the person was a homosexual he would be fired. It would not have been an uncommon view at the time.

That would be an injustice. And injustices like that, and the fact that homosexuals can face the death penalty in this world should be stood against and corrected. I can also remember being in school in the 70s and heaven help if any student was even suspected of being "different" in this regard. They were treated brutally and unmercifully.

The Church is needed to help society correctly discern what is injustice and what is indulgence. At this point in time we are expected to indulge the behavior based upon a skewed sense of equality and justice. But make no mistake about it, one of the reasons society has made a wrong turn here is that people have an accurate sense of injustices that need to be corrected. So it was not difficult to rally good people to the gay cause who wanted to see such injustices ended. But unfortunately society as a whole does not have the spiritual insight to discern between correcting a true injustice and indulging the sinful behavior. As Christians we should help bring light to help distinguish the difference, and we should do so in charity.

So yes, I am quite taken aback when there are Catholic people who think Pope Francis is incorrect in speaking out about countries who want to kill people for being homosexual and find a way to take offense to that.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
About what in particular? That it's wrong to murder people because they engage in homosexual behavior?

In the early 80s I went to work in a plant environment. The manager there shared with me one day that he would fire someone if he found out they were homosexual because it would make the other men "uncomfortable." Not because the person had done anything -- simply by knowing the person was a homosexual he would be fired. It would not have been an uncommon view at the time.

That would be an injustice. And injustices like that, and the fact that homosexuals can face the death penalty in this world should be stood against and corrected. I can also remember being in school in the 70s and heaven help if any student was even suspected of being "different" in this regard. They were treated brutally and unmercifully.

The Church is needed to help society correctly discern what is injustice and what is indulgence. At this point in time we are expected to indulge the behavior based upon a skewed sense of equality and justice. But make no mistake about it, one of the reasons society has made a wrong turn here is that people have an accurate sense of injustices that need to be corrected. So it was not difficult to rally good people to the gay cause who wanted to see such injustices ended. But unfortunately society as a whole does not have the spiritual insight to discern between correcting a true injustice and indulging the sinful behavior. As Christians we should help bring light to help distinguish the difference, and we should do so in charity.

So yes, I am quite taken aback when there are Catholic people who think Pope Francis is incorrect in speaking out about countries who want to kill people for being homosexual and find a way to take offense to that.
And those horrors of human injustice therefore justify the equivalence or even superiority of sinful living with normal, righteous living? Francis welcomes into his precious presence such advocates of sin, while marginalizing and ignoring and insulting the righteous. Need I say to you that is wrong? I don't want to use the time to try.

Upvote 0