Polystrate Fossils

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Cool! Getting to start early with field experience is neat!

I also started out as a geology major at the start of my Freshman year. I diversified into chemistry but kept in geology to the end.

My wife (whom I met in geology grad school) was much more of a field person than I was. I was a lab monkey (hence the chemistry stuff). She ultimately ended up working in environmental. Did her time sitting rigs and collecting samples.

Crystalline, rocks, eh? You igneous pet or metamorphic pet?

Any particular type of rock?

I wish I would have spent more time in the hardrock petrology end of things. The chemistry there is pretty cool. But I was taken with organic geochem and avoided the inorganic until I could no longer.
I was actually a chem minor as well, but I preferred inorganic (PChem was one of my favorite classes). I considered doing ig pet for a while - metamorphics are cool, but painful to look at under the scope - but I ended up in isotope geochemistry. I've spent the last six months or so riding a mass spec, dating zircons. Interesting, but I'm ready to get back out in the field this summer.

As for what kind of rocks I like, I'm a big fan of granites, granodiorites, and all related crystalline ingeous rocks :D

I'm also into structural geology, which is unfortunate because massive crystalline rocks aren't the best for showing cool structures...

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Crystalline rocks, to me, is much better than those sand and mud.
Heh, that reminds me of a shirt my undergrad volcanology professor had - it had the limestone "bricks" symbol crossed out, with "SAY NO TO BORING ROCKS" underneath. Always made me chuckle.

What kind of crystalline rock are you working on?
My thesis project involves granites, granodiorites, an alaskite, and a set of mafic dikes. There's probably a few more that I'm forgetting, but those are the major types.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Heh, that reminds me of a shirt my undergrad volcanology professor had - it had the limestone "bricks" symbol crossed out, with "SAY NO TO BORING ROCKS" underneath. Always made me chuckle.

My thesis project involves granites, granodiorites, an alaskite, and a set of mafic dikes. There's probably a few more that I'm forgetting, but those are the major types.

So, would your Ph.D. work be the zircon dating on plutons? Where?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Among other things, yes. And I'm working in Eastern California.

Interesting. I thought you would say Appalachian.

So, zircon age would only be part of the supporting data in your work, right?
If so, what else are you planning to look? Field relationship on contacts?

Upvote 0

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Polystrate Fossils is a creationist term used to describe the geologic term "in situ" or "upright" fossils. In situ fossils are single organisms (objects) that appear to span one or more layers of geologic strata.

Creationists claim that these types of formations disprove an old earth stating that geologists claim layers of strata take thousands and millions of years to form, so objects that span strata formations cannot have formed over such long periods.

To the layman who knows noting about geology and geologic processes this sounds reasonable. However, the formation of these upright/in situ fossils is well known and even observable in the present. It is true that most stratigraphic formations do form over thousands and millions of years, however, some form quite rapidly.

In situ fossils occur in subsiding coastal plains, swamps, river deltas and flood plains where rapid sedimentation can take place. Volcanic ash can also cause local rapid sedimentation, especially from periodically erupting stratovocanoes.

800px-Lycopsid_joggins_mcr1.JPG

(Rygel, M.C) Specimen is from the Joggins Formation (Pennsylvanian), Cumberland Basin, Nova Scotia.

snip...... Interestingly, the polystrate plants here are giant hollow reeds, not trees. The Lycopods and the Calamites are the polystrate plants.

There are trees here, from the class called Cordaitales. While also numerous, essentially none are polystrate. In four years of personal studies, Ian Juby has only documented one polystrate cordaitales stump, which was exceptionally small and cut through approximately 15 inches of sediments.

It is the weaker, hollow reeds which have remained standing.

snip.......... The polystrate position of the giant reeds is a mystery to both uniformitarians and catastrophists. Clearly they are not buried in situ, yet why would they remain upright during burial, whilst the trees themselves remained prostrate?

Joggins, Nova Scotia - CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science

Upvote 0

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
800px-Lycopsid_joggins_mcr1.JPG

(Rygel, M.C) Specimen is from the Joggins Formation (Pennsylvanian), Cumberland Basin, Nova Scotia.

that one lone broken root is not very convincing evidence for an in situ plant

where's the rest of the root ball?

where's the top?

where are the branches?

where's the bark? maybe this plant didn't have bark ...but trees do and tree bark is rather rare on petrified wood

looks like it was transported n tumbled and then deposited here - just like most petrified wood around the world looks

most petrified wood is from large to very large to humungous trees

hmmm - what breaks off branches and bark and tree tops and tears off root balls and then transports huge tree trunks?

lots of water would

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting. I thought you would say Appalachian.

So, zircon age would only be part of the supporting data in your work, right?
If so, what else are you planning to look? Field relationship on contacts?
Zircon age is largely supporting data, yes, though it is a largely geochemical project. I'll be doing some mapping, but the primary focus of my thesis is determining the source material for a set of dikes.

snip...... Interestingly, the polystrate plants here are giant hollow reeds, not trees. The Lycopods and the Calamites are the polystrate plants.

There are trees here, from the class called Cordaitales. While also numerous, essentially none are polystrate. In four years of personal studies, Ian Juby has only documented one polystrate cordaitales stump, which was exceptionally small and cut through approximately 15 inches of sediments.

It is the weaker, hollow reeds which have remained standing.

snip.......... The polystrate position of the giant reeds is a mystery to both uniformitarians and catastrophists. Clearly they are not buried in situ, yet why would they remain upright during burial, whilst the trees themselves remained prostrate?

Joggins, Nova Scotia - CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science
It would be interesting, if your link was correct. However, Lycopods aren't hollow reeds, and the Calamites are described in scholarly articles as "adpressed," or flattened, not upright. Furthermore, these same articles say that there are numerous examples of Cordaites trees preserved upright.

Here's the article, linked from Dropbox since you normally wouldn't be able to access it from home without a membership: Falcon-Lang et al., 2006, Journal of the Geologic Society

that one lone broken root is not very convincing evidence for an in situ plant

where's the rest of the root ball?

where's the top?

where are the branches?

where's the bark? maybe this plant didn't have bark ...but trees do and tree bark is rather rare on petrified wood

looks like it was transported n tumbled and then deposited here - just like most petrified wood around the world looks

most petrified wood is from large to very large to humungous trees

hmmm - what breaks off branches and bark and tree tops and tears off root balls and then transports huge tree trunks?

lots of water would

1. The presence of any root is pretty convincing evidence for it being in situ. Roots are normally pretty fragile and are easily rotted and/or squished. Plus, you're not thinking in 3D. All you're seeing is one surface. There's the half of the cliff that's been eroded away, as well as whatever might be still buried behind.

2, 3, 4. Flattened, eroded away, not readily apparent in the photo, still buried in the cliff face, broken off before it was buried (in the case of the branches). There are a number of possibilities.

5. You're contradicting yourself. You ask where the bark is, then say that bark is rare in petrified wood...Also, your buddy Juby has given examples of bark himself.

6. Subjective opinion. I disagree. It doesn't look like it's moved much at all.

7. Time, erosion, a local flood, again, many possibilities.

see the pictures at this link for inverted stumps at Joggins Cliffs - interesting situation if this is an in situ deposit

Welcome to Ian Juby's Home Page

The only inverted stump he shows is questionable. Even Juby says that he hasn't verified that there are roots at the top - it just looks like it. Furthermore, no one has discounted the possibility of a local flood occurring at some point along this ancient coastline.

At any rate, a flood in one location does not imply a global flood. We see local, and even regional, floods all the time today.

Upvote 0

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be interesting, if your link was correct. However, Lycopods aren't hollow reeds, and the Calamites are described in scholarly articles as "adpressed," or flattened, not upright. Furthermore, these same articles say that there are numerous examples of Cordaites trees preserved upright.

Here's the article, linked from Dropbox since you normally wouldn't be able to access it from home without a membership: Falcon-Lang et al., 2006, Journal of the Geologic Society

they are in the same class of plants as the equisetum which is hollow

they had a cellular pith in the center which became hollow w age

Eclectic magazine: foreign literature - John Holmes Agnew, Walter Hilliard Bidwell - Google Books

can't access your link

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
they are in the same class of plants as the equisetum which is hollow

they had a cellular pith in the center which became hollow w age

Eclectic magazine: foreign literature - John Holmes Agnew, Walter Hilliard Bidwell - Google Books
Interesting - never knew that about Lycopods. However, they're still not reeds. More fragile than modern trees perhaps, but hardly as fragile as a horsetail. And Equisetum was in reference to the Calamites, not the Lycopods. Nothing in your link suggests that they are related.

Edit: In fact, do a Google search for "equisetum, lycopods" and you'll see that there's no relationship. I couldn't really give you a specific reference because they're scattered through several books, but the Google results page shows it pretty clearly. Horsetails are of the genus Equisetum, while Lycopods are of Lycopodium (also Lycopodiuni and Lycopodiurri, but I think these might be mistakes with the text translator).

can't access your link

Whoops, used the wrong link. Try this one: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42691446/Falcon-Lang et al., 2006.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. The presence of any root is pretty convincing evidence for it being in situ. Roots are normally pretty fragile and are easily rotted and/or squished. Plus, you're not thinking in 3D. All you're seeing is one surface. There's the half of the cliff that's been eroded away, as well as whatever might be still buried behind.

2, 3, 4. Flattened, eroded away, not readily apparent in the photo, still buried in the cliff face, broken off before it was buried (in the case of the branches). There are a number of possibilities.

5. You're contradicting yourself. You ask where the bark is, then say that bark is rare in petrified wood...Also, your buddy Juby has given examples of bark himself.

6. Subjective opinion. I disagree. It doesn't look like it's moved much at all.

7. Time, erosion, a local flood, again, many possibilities.

The only inverted stump he shows is questionable. Even Juby says that he hasn't verified that there are roots at the top - it just looks like it. Furthermore, no one has discounted the possibility of a local flood occurring at some point along this ancient coastline.

At any rate, a flood in one location does not imply a global flood. We see local, and even regional, floods all the time today.

most petrified wood is from large to gigantic trees - they would still have the root ball and some roots if they were buried in situ

they would have atleast some branches and some tops and some bark still in place

Juby saw pieces of bark within the deposit not on the trees

a tree trunk that fans out at one end is good evidence of the bottom end of the tree where the root ball should be

the vast majority of petrified wood from all over the world shows the same characteristics - they were all transported by a lot of water tons and tons of them breaking off their branches and their tops and their bark

time and erosion have absolutely nothing to do with it

lots of water is what did it

plain as day

Upvote 0

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting - never knew that about Lycopods. However, they're still not reeds. More fragile than modern trees perhaps, but hardly as fragile as a horsetail. And Equisetum was in reference to the Calamites, not the Lycopods. Nothing in your link suggests that they are related.

Whoops, used the wrong link. Try this one: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42691446/Falcon-Lang et al., 2006.pdf

thanks i will look at it

here's one for you - from Hungary - unfossilized in situ tree stumps found in ''miocene'' coal

only the stumps remain - the tops were broken off and disappeared

a mystery to old earthers but not to yec's

http://ipolytarnoc.kvvm.hu/uploads/File/pdf/Kazmer_2011_Bukkabrany_forest_structure_JpJHistBiol.pdf

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
most petrified wood is from large to gigantic trees - they would still have the root ball and some roots if they were buried in situ

Says who? As I said, the root ball could have rotted away or been squished beyond recognition. Or it could have been preserved and was just eroded away or is still not exposed.

they would have atleast some branches and some tops and some bark still in place

Unless they broke off.

Juby saw pieces of bark within the deposit not on the trees

Orly? Directly from his site, right below the picture of the upside down stump:

"It was definitively identified as a lycopod by the bark which was still embedded in the back half of the fossil. The red arrow marks the spot where I photographed one piece of petrified bark . The bark was protruding from the rock face in several areas and one could follow what appeared to be root stems."

The red arrow is pointing to a spot right at the edge of the tree trunk.

a tree trunk that fans out at one end is good evidence of the bottom end of the tree where the root ball should be

It could also be the top of the tree. Just sayin'.

the vast majority of petrified wood from all over the world shows the same characteristics - they were all transported by a lot of water tons and tons of them breaking off their branches and their tops and their bark

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "the vast majority" isn't the same as "all", right?

time and erosion have absolutely nothing to do with it

lots of water is what did it

plain as day

Do you have proof of this? It's possible that lots of water was involved, but there's nothing that proves it definitively. And as I said earlier, a local flood is a possible explanation for the deposition of the sediment in the Joggins Formation.

thanks i will look at it

here's one for you - from Hungary - unfossilized in situ tree stumps found in ''miocene'' coal

only the stumps remain - the tops were broken off and disappeared

a mystery to old earthers but not to yec's

http://ipolytarnoc.kvvm.hu/uploads/File/pdf/Kazmer_2011_Bukkabrany_forest_structure_JpJHistBiol.pdf

Did you actually read the article? It provides a very thorough explanation of the processes that could preserve trees like that. Not a mystery at all.

Upvote 0

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you actually read the article? It provides a very thorough explanation of the processes that could preserve trees like that. Not a mystery at all.

just finished it - thank you for posting

interesting long list of fossils and a good description

a coal basin full of disarticulated bivalves crushed in dense accumulations, gastropods, ostracods, cycads, conifers, disarticulated tetrapods inside sandstone-cast trees, mud layers, fauna embedded in coal layers, all covered in sheets of sand

148 species across the spectrum in a ''short time interval''

i cannot agree it's autochthonous - too much evidence of tumbling and rapid transport and too rich a mixing of species

it's another all too typical basinal flood deposit such as are seen all around the planet

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Says who? As I said, the root ball could have rotted away or been squished beyond recognition. Or it could have been preserved and was just eroded away or is still not exposed.

Unless they broke off.

Orly? Directly from his site, right below the picture of the upside down stump:

"It was definitively identified as a lycopod by the bark which was still embedded in the back half of the fossil. The red arrow marks the spot where I photographed one piece of petrified bark . The bark was protruding from the rock face in several areas and one could follow what appeared to be root stems."

The red arrow is pointing to a spot right at the edge of the tree trunk.

It could also be the top of the tree. Just sayin'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "the vast majority" isn't the same as "all", right?

2 Do you have proof of this? It's possible that lots of water was involved, but there's nothing that proves it definitively. And as I said earlier, a local flood is a possible explanation for the deposition of the sediment in the Joggins Formation.

1 I say so after having made a comparison of petrified wood deposits from all around the globe and the way they are deposited and the sediments they are associated with - it's not just a few that are missing branches tops bark roots and root balls - it is practically all of them - globally

of course I can't say it is true for every single tree trunk but the vast majority globally constitutes strong evidence for transport by a lot of water

2 from a YEC model viewpoint the diversity of species, disarticulated-crushed nature of the fauna, the sediments and the condition of the tree trunks all point to a lot of water - there is nothing else that could have done this

it is not an autochthonous deposit - what mechanism is there for in situ deposits to get so disarticulated and crushed and crammed inside tree casts all in a coal basin - this is exactly where transported deposits of this nature from a big flood would be expected to show up

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
just finished it - thank you for posting

interesting long list of fossils and a good description

a coal basin full of disarticulated bivalves crushed in dense accumulations, gastropods, ostracods, cycads, conifers, disarticulated tetrapods inside sandstone-cast trees, mud layers, fauna embedded in coal layers, all covered in sheets of sand

148 species across the spectrum in a ''short time interval''

i cannot agree it's autochthonous - too much evidence of tumbling and rapid transport and too rich a mixing of species

it's another all too typical basinal flood deposit such as are seen all around the planet
I was referring to the article you posted, about the tree stumps in Hungary. It has a whole section devoted to the mummification process for trees, and yet you claim that "it's a mystery for old-earthers."

And as I said, I don't disagree with the assessment of the Joggins Formation as at least a partial flood deposit. It does have some characteristics of one.

However, some portions can't be explained by a flood:

Coal beds require the formation of peat, which can happen fairly rapidly on a geologic timescale (multiple meters per hundred years, which translates to a few centimeters of actual coal), but couldn't reasonably form in a single flooding event.

Limestone (ignoring coquina) can't form rapidly. Period.

You don't get terrestrial deposits (redbeds and anastamosing stream deposits, for example) in a flood.

I'd like to see wood burn and form charcoal under water.

Trackways are pretty hard to explain in the context of a flood as well.

All of these are mentioned in the Falcon-Lang paper.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1 I say so after having made a comparison of petrified wood deposits from all around the globe and the way they are deposited and the sediments they are associated with - it's not just a few that are missing branches tops bark roots and root balls - it is practically all of them - globally

of course I can't say it is true for every single tree trunk but the vast majority globally constitutes strong evidence for transport by a lot of water

And in most cases, you'd be right. Most petrified wood that I've seen has been in fluvial deposits (i.e. the Chinle Formation). They're not vertical though.

2 from a YEC model viewpoint the diversity of species, disarticulated-crushed nature of the fauna, the sediments and the condition of the tree trunks all point to a lot of water - there is nothing else that could have done this

it is not an autochthonous deposit - what mechanism is there for in situ deposits to get so disarticulated and crushed and crammed inside tree casts all in a coal basin - this is exactly where transported deposits of this nature from a big flood would be expected to show up

See, this is where your problem lies. You start out with the assumption that a global flood occurred and that the Earth is 6,000 years old, so of course all of your conclusions will support this idea. This is known as "Begging the Question" and is a logical fallacy. It's not scientific - you're succumbing to personal bias.

You're also ignoring a significant amount of evidence that doesn't support your conclusion (see my previous post).

Upvote 0

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And in most cases, you'd be right. Most petrified wood that I've seen has been in fluvial deposits (i.e. the Chinle Formation). They're not vertical though.

See, this is where your problem lies. You start out with the assumption that a global flood occurred and that the Earth is 6,000 years old. It's not scientific. You're succumbing to personal bias.

You're also ignoring a significant amount of evidence that doesn't support your conclusion (see my previous post).

I agree not all evidence fits one model to the exclusion of the other

I did not start out as a YEC - not at all - I have the same old-earth uniformitarian background as any geologist and I was an atheist to boot

it was the quality and abundance of missing information that I heard/read from creation geologists after college that forced me to consider their model - if that had not happened I would have never become a Christian

I can no longer accept uniformitarianism and I don't think anyone knows for sure how old the earth is

Upvote 0

valkyree

Jan 11, 2011
California
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to the article you posted, about the tree stumps in Hungary. It has a whole section devoted to the mummification process for trees, and yet you claim that "it's a mystery for old-earthers."

And as I said, I don't disagree with the assessment of the Joggins Formation as at least a partial flood deposit. It does have some characteristics of one.

However, some portions can't be explained by a flood:

Coal beds require the formation of peat, which can happen fairly rapidly on a geologic timescale (multiple meters per hundred years, which translates to a few centimeters of actual coal), but couldn't reasonably form in a single flooding event.

Limestone (ignoring coquina) can't form rapidly. Period.

You don't get terrestrial deposits (redbeds and anastamosing stream deposits, for example) in a flood.

I'd like to see wood burn and form charcoal under water.

Trackways are pretty hard to explain in the context of a flood as well.

All of these are mentioned in the Falcon-Lang paper.

i will re-read it

what about transported limestone mud dumped in great piles?

what about a rapid deposition and deep burial of very large piles of organic matter?

are you really 100% positive those are terrestrial deposits?

Upvote 0