Poll on Election

What do you believe about election

• I believe that God choses some to be saved and by default others to go to hell and they have no choi

• I believe God choses people to be saved, but they still have the responsbility to believe.

• I believe that some will be saved even though they are not part of the elect.

• I believe that the elect are those that God knew would be saved.(Arminias)

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am curious what the numbers are in PRE for certain beliefs about election. I have alread expressed my views in "How do you differentiate" and no longer desire to debate them. :sick: http://www.christianforums.com/t83657

I am also curious has to if there is any distinctive arguement or bible verse that helped you decide.:scratch:

II Paradox II

Oracle of the Obvious
Oct 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟860.00
Faith
Calvinist
theseed said:
I am curious what the numbers are in PRE for certain beliefs about election. I have alread expressed my views in "How do you differentiate" and no longer desire to debate them.

I am also curious has to if there is any distinctive arguement or bible verse that supports helped you decide.
I believe election is by God's decree, not depending upon any foreseen merit or decisions. God infallibly brings His elect to salvation by his will.

As for what argument or verse sealed it... there really isn't one. I was just persuaded by the general flow of scripture. IMO - the other explanations of election out there just didn't seem sufficient to me to explain the evidence as I saw it.

ken

Upvote 0

La Bonita Zorilla

Diana's Quiver Bearer
Mar 25, 2003
New York
Visit site
✟2,855.00
Faith
Methodist
I'm for Dean but if he falters I'll switch to Clark.

No, seriously, I didn't respond because none of the options apply. I believe the concept of "election" is not compatible with the concept of a loving God, so, as I believe in a loving God, I do not believe in that sort of Dark Ages Mumbo Jumbo.

Reactions: Michelina
Upvote 0

Arikereba

Nov 4, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟805.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
CA-NDP
None of those options match what I believe--and what I believe depends on whose writing I last read! My temporary theory of the moment, which I feel accords the best with my understanding of a loving God, goes something like this:

God chooses all people to be saved. There may be some people who end up in Hell by deliberately rejecting the grace they've been offered. (Many people who aren't Christians will be saved). Or perhaps everyone will be saved by God's grace.

There is enough real suffering and evil in the world that I'm not comfortable completely being a universalist (though I take comfort in the idea that God's a lot more forgiving than I am); I have enough faith in God that I don't believe He'd let people go to hell through a purely arbitrary choice; being an Arminian exclusivist is mildly untenable to me because we don't really have a free choice when some of us are raised in the Bible Belt and some of us are raised in East Africa, and some of us experience the love of Christ and some of us experience the hatred of people who think they're acting in the name of Christ. So that's where I end up.

Having been 'irresistibly called' through no merit of my own, I can't deny the merits of the Calvinist viewpoint--and I don't think that that grace has been denied to anyone, though we might respond to it in different ways. (The first time I really felt God's grace, I was thirteen or fourteen. And I thought I was being called to be a Buddhist, though I could never get the hang of meditation. And it took a good six years or more for me to work out that I was going to be a Christian--but who can say that I wasn't being called to be a wannabe Buddhist at that point, when it meant that I survived high school psychologically intact? 'Cause, man, if I'd been a Christian during that sexually confusing high school phase, I'd have had a total mental breakdown).

Whoo. Rambling.

Upvote 0

Arikereba

Nov 4, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟805.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
CA-NDP
I'm sorry if this doesn't directly relate--I am still at a point where I'm trying to work out my own theology. This metaphysical crisis is lasting longer than my previous ones have. :) So I tend to ramble a lot.

No religion means anything unless it accounts for the real world--or there is no basis at all for choosing between Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. When I was still unsure about Christianity and found that it was something I wanted to believe, I was haunted by the idea that it doesn't mean anything unless it's true. And it is true, I think.

A Christianity that depends on a literal interpretation of the Bible above all else does not, I think, account for the real world in an objective sense (cf. the Deuteronomy passage that talks about finding proof of a bride's virginity--when a number of women are born without hymens). But that's tangential to the main point; my 'real world' doesn't only consist of those things that are scientifically provable. It also includes my subjective reality--and within my subjective reality, a God who arbitrarily elects some while letting others go to Hell is not a God of love--and therefore not the God I believe in. That's why "the Bible said it, that settles it" can't be enough for me. I cannot believe in exclusivist Calvinism any more than I can believe in Buddhism; it doesn't match what I know and experience of the world.

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Arikereba said:
I'm sorry if this doesn't directly relate--I am still at a point where I'm trying to work out my own theology. This metaphysical crisis is lasting longer than my previous ones have. :) So I tend to ramble a lot.

No religion means anything unless it accounts for the real world--or there is no basis at all for choosing between Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. When I was still unsure about Christianity and found that it was something I wanted to believe, I was haunted by the idea that it doesn't mean anything unless it's true. And it is true, I think.

A Christianity that depends on a literal interpretation of the Bible above all else does not, I think, account for the real world in an objective sense (cf. the Deuteronomy passage that talks about finding proof of a bride's virginity--when a number of women are born without hymens). But that's tangential to the main point; my 'real world' doesn't only consist of those things that are scientifically provable. It also includes my subjective reality--and within my subjective reality, a God who arbitrarily elects some while letting others go to Hell is not a God of love--and therefore not the God I believe in. That's why "the Bible said it, that settles it" can't be enough for me. I cannot believe in exclusivist Calvinism any more than I can believe in Buddhism; it doesn't match what I know and experience of the world.
That must be because you believe that man is good and deserves to go to heaven.
This is sort of long, but do me a favor and read it :)

The second thought is that all objections to predestination proceed from the wisdom of the flesh, Hence, whoever does not deny himself and does not learn to keep his thoughts in subjection to the divine will, never will find an answer to his questions. And that rightly so, for the foolish wisdom of the flesh exalts itself above God and judges His will, just as though this were of little importance. It should rather let itself be judged by God. For this reason the Apostle refutes all objections with two brief statements. First, he checks our arrogance by asking: "O man, who art thou that thou repliest against God?" (Romans 9:20) Then he defends the divine election by asking: "Hath not the potter power over the clay?" (v. 21)
The first and most flimsy objection against divine election is this, that man has been given a free will by which he can earn for himself either merit or demerit. To this I reply: Man's free will without divine grace has not the least ability to secure righteousness, but is totally corrupt.
The second objection is this: "Who will have all men to be saved" (I Tim. 2:4); that is, God gave His Son into death for us, as He has created us for life eternal. Again: All things exist on account of man; but he himself exists for God's sake to enjoy God. But these and other objections are just as vain as is the first; for all these statements are realized properly in the elect, as the Apostle writes in II Timothy 2:10: "I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory."
A third objection reads: Where there is no sin, there God does not condemn. But whoever is a sinner of necessity is condemned unjustly. To this I reply: We all are sinners of necessity and so under condemnation, but no one is a sinner by coercion, or against his will.
A fourth objection is this: God hardens the will of man so that he desires to transgress the divine Law all the more. Hence, God is the cause why men sin and are condemned. But the Apostle meets it by saying that so it is God's will, and that if God so wills He does not act unjustly, for all things belong to Him as the clay belongs to the potter. He thus establishes His law in order that the elect may obey it, but the reprobates may be caught in it, and so He may show both His wrath and His mercy. Here indeed the wisdom of flesh objects saying: "It is cruel and regrettable that God seeks His glorification in my misery." Ah, it is the voice of the flesh that says: "My, my!" Strike out this "my, my" and say instead: "Glory be to Thee, O Lord!" Then you will be saved. The wisdom of the flesh seeks its own glory and is more afriad of suffering than of desecrating God. Hence it follows its own will rather than the divine will. We must think differently of God than we do of men; for He owes us nothing. That is what the Apostle teaches at the close of the eleventh chapter: "Who hath first given to him, and it shall be the recompensed unto him again?" (Romans 11:35)

-Martin Luther in his commentary on the 8th chapter of Romans

Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
La Bonita Zorilla said:
I believe the concept of "election" is not compatible with the concept of a loving God, so, as I believe in a loving God, I do not believe in that sort of Dark Ages Mumbo Jumbo.

I would have to ask where you get this "concept" of God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Arikereba said:
a God who arbitrarily elects some while letting others go to Hell is not a God of love--and therefore not the God I believe in. .

I don't understand this for the life of me..

Is this the only characteristic of God we see in the Bible? When I read, esp the OT I seem to also see a God of wrath, vengence, and justice.

I just can't put God in a box.....maybe that's not what you are doing but I just see alot more sides to God then only love.

Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anyone is predestined for hell.
I do believe that some are predestined for big things in life.
I believe that the prophets were predestined. I also think John the Baptist was predestined. He was born mostly for the purpose of paving a path for the Christ.I'm sure that there are others, but these are the examples that immediately come to mind.

Upvote 0

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
theseed said:
Calvinist beleive God elected people to heaven (predestined) so if that were true then others would be predestined for hell.
We seem to think that we are objects of privilege. This is not true and I guess it is due to our own pride, even in being His children. We are God's, we belong to Him and He can do with us as He pleases. Read this passage and MAYBE just MAYBE you will at least undertstand my belief and others in election...

Romans 9:
6It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."[2] 8In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring. 9For this was how the promise was stated: "At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son."[3]
10Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. 11Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad--in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12not by works but by him who calls--she was told, "The older will serve the younger."[4] 13Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."[5]
14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."[6] 16It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."[7] 18Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.
19One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' "[8] 21Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?
22What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction? 23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory-- 24even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Blessings,

FOMWatts<><:pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 9 said:
19One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' "[8] 21Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

Some think this is a warning against fatalism, in that it was a propesterous, and that the pottery metaphor is a rebuke against such a concusion. When pottery is on the wheel it can be reshaped again and again. Something to think about.

Upvote 0

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
theseed said:
Some think this is a warning against fatalism, in that it was a propesterous, and that the pottery metaphor is a rebuke against such a concusion. When pottery is on the wheel it can be reshaped again and again. Something to think about.
Yes it can be reshaped, OR it can be shattered on the ground at the potter's feet. Yes I believe that only God's chosen children will be saved...God is all-knowing, why would He NOT choose those that He knew would love Him? I do nto believe it is possible for the UNelect to even love God. You see the mere desire for salvation in a realistic sense is a call to God for a man to be saved. So it is not unfair or objectively mean of God to have objects of wrath and objects of mercy. We are like that clay. His chosen one's are reshaped and remolded until the return of Christ when we shall be permanently made clean so that we may dwell with Him, and the objects of wrath are also used to carry out a certain Will or part of God's plan just as Pharoah did and just as Pontus Pilate (666) did, and in the end they were the shattered clay on the ground.

Blessings,

FOMWatts<><

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FW said:
why would He NOT choose those that He knew would love Him? I do nto believe it is possible for the UNelect to even love God. You see the mere desire for salvation in a realistic sense is a call to God for a man to be saved

This sounds different, then what I've read from Calvin. So God's elect are the ones who can love him? And the unelect are the one's who can not? This would mean that the elect would be those that would love God, and God knowing this ahead--would mean that he elected those that would believe in him. This resembles the Arminian stance that the elect are those God knew would choose him. Calvinist would argue that the elect can not love God on thier own, and that love (or faith) comes from God, meaning that God empowered his elect to beleive in him, and there was nothing special about those he chose, there was nothing different between the elect and non-elect.

Upvote 0

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
theseed said:

This sounds different, then what I've read from Calvin. So God's elect are the ones who can love him? And the unelect are the one's who can not? This would mean that the elect would be those that would love God, and God knowing this ahead--would mean that he elected those that would believe in him. This resembles the Arminian stance that the elect are those God knew would choose him. Calvinist would argue that the elect can not love God on thier own, and that love (or faith) comes from God, meaning that God empowered his elect to beleive in him, and there was nothing special about those he chose, there was nothing different between the elect and non-elect.
The Calvinist and Arminians say the same things in a different way. The Arminians believe some responsibility lies in the hadns of those that are saved and the Calvinist believes it is fully the work of God. They both believe in the powerful and all-knowing God. The Calvinist believes salvationis fully ordained by God through the faith that God gives to them. The elect are special, because God chose them, THAT is the only thing that makes them special. Pretty much we give full glory and credit to God and exclude any part of the merit of mankind.

FOMWatts<><

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.