Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I dont see where it said the kid didn't do other things.... Just because a picture was taken of him doesn't mean he was doing it for brownie points either. I get that some people don't like prayer or see how it helps but sometimes it is the little things...When my mom says she will pray for me, it feels nice that she has me in her thoughts. Like idk somewhere out there people actually putting some thought into my situation. I'm not gonna say it solves anything but I'm not going to dismiss it. I mean lots of other stuff gets thrown on the internet, lots of nasty stuff, I think just this one time I will be happy it was something nice for once too.

Also maybe he did volunteer at shelters, we don't know that. I don't like assuming this kid is being self serving but again this is just a knee jerk post and I haven't read the rest of the thread. Idk..

Upvote 0

PsychoeDial

God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
^^
I agree with this.

I find this verse relevant:

James 2:16: And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

This isn't supposed to be a "holier than thou" race, and I don't know about @civilwarbuff , but I can personally say that I have, in fact, donated money out of my pocket to homeless people. Not directly, but through a nonprofit ministry. I live in a rural area and I don't encounter homeless people in my life.
Direct your comments to civil war buff why don't you? They're the one that implied TB doesn't give to the homeless in her area. Or that their church doesn't.

Government spends millions on people that take advantage of government services now. Why aren't there laws that help the homeless more?
Callous disregard for the least of these is a sin. However, I don't doubt one bit there are those who hold homeless in contempt and even openly rebuke them if they are approached by one who asks for help.
I know I've seen people do that. I never have. Any one of us could fall on hard times and what then? Would we want to be treated as we treat less fortunate?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What do you and your church do for the homeless out of your own pockets?
Last fall we shipped 400,000 meals to western Honduras. Some of the people there will walk 2-3 hours just to get a meal. Those in need aren't always on the nearest street corner. Personally, as far as giving money to individuals, I let the Holy Spirit lead me in that. Last summer I saw a woman with a baby digging through a trash can on the Corner of E. Main and Livingston Ave in Cols, OH. The HS laid it on me that I needed to do something so I turned my car around and gave her what I had in my wallet....$22. Wasn't much, but I don't think I could have stood my self if I hadn't.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Last fall we shipped 400,000 meals to western Honduras. Some of the people there will walk 2-3 hours just to get a meal. Those in need aren't always on the nearest street corner. Personally, as far as giving money to individuals, I let the Holy Spirit lead me in that. Last summer I saw a woman with a baby digging through a trash can on the Corner of E. Main and Livingston Ave in Cols, OH. The HS laid it on me that I needed to do something so I turned my car around and gave her what I had in my wallet....$22. Wasn't much, but I don't think I could have stood my self if I hadn't.
Good for you and may God bless you for it.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,100.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
He didn't say anything about JUST praying out in the open. He said don't put on a show, don't be filled with your own self righteousness as you pray in public for the purpose of attracting attention to yourself. Jesus was calling out the boisterous street corner preachers. To quietly have a moment of prayer (as this boy does) in public for someone, does NOT fall under that purvue. Jesus does say to pray in secret, but frankly, I'd consider this moment private and the picture being taken an intrusion on that privacy.

I feel like I should ask you the same question since it is clearly a leading question.
What do you believe Jesus says about praying in public Nithavela?
I think that it can be summed up as "don't make a spectacle out of your prayer".

And I think that this can be extended to "don't make a spectacle out of other people's prayer, too."

So yeah, I'm with you on the whole "breach of privacy" thing. I wonder what this kid thinks about all of this.[/QUOTE]im not sure I necessarily agree with the exception but Ido appreciate that he seems keen to remain fairly unknown

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,100.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Actually, that IS pretty much how wellfare works in Germany. Nobody can be denied wellfare over here. They can only not accept it, for whatever reasons.

I don't think that you get what you give. The things you just wrote only underscore the need for good publicity, not for good deeds.

Also, I'd really like for this thread to stop being about me. Can we do that? Please? It's off topic and I don't desire to defend my actions, any more. I think I've laid them out well enough.
1) that sounds like mental health.
2) I agree. Civilwarbuff, xalith, pschoedial, y'all need to get off his back. And I don't think talking about (boasting) about your own giving is appropriate either. As I alluded to earlier, Christians should be holding each other to account not nonbelievers
Rather than just depending on government, how about digging into your own pocket?.....and encouraging your friends and fellow church members to do the same?
1) why not both? Seriously, it's not like the needs will ever be met

Last edited:
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
2) I agree. Civilwarbuff, xalith, pschoedial, y'all need to get off his back. And I don't think talking about (boasting) about your own giving is appropriate either. As I alluded to earlier, Christians should be holding each other to account not nonbelievers
And that is a good point....the poor will always be with us.....

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I wasn't on anyone's back. Someone (@civilwarbuff ) made a comment (a general comment) that one should be willing to whip out their own wallet to go help the poor when they encounter them, and I agreed with it and provided scriptural support.

And then someone else (@Tiny Bible ) popped up and said "What have YOU done?" and I pointed out that this isn't about a 'holier than thou' race, and I personally have given money to the poor all the same.

I don't see where I was "on anyone's back" and I apologize if anybody is offended by what I said, I simply did not mean it that way.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If you believe it is a mental health issue, maybe you can advise him to not go out a challenge people and their actions and beliefs; that will cause him problems.
And I don't think talking about (boasting) about your own giving is appropriate either.
And since you don't know me or why I conveyed that story, why don't you keep your opinion of "boasting" to yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Rather than just depending on government, how about digging into your own pocket?.....and encouraging your friends and fellow church members to do the same?

Because we keep hearing from our Right-leaning brethren that this is a Christian nation... right up until acting like one would be an inconvenience.

Carter-on-Christian-Charity.jpg

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prayer is good for when you can't do anything about a situation or as a ritual. Action is good for when you can do something.

Maybe the boy in question didn't have any money on him, or maybe the money he had he needed and could not afford to give any of it away, so he instead decided to say a prayer?

Nothing wrong with that. It's a good point, though -- one can always pray in any situation. That's the least one can do, is pray. Just walking past someone who obviously needs help without even a simple "Lord, please help this person" is not a good thing to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the boy in question didn't have any money on him, or maybe the money he had he needed and could not afford to give any of it away, so he instead decided to say a prayer?

Nothing wrong with that. It's a good point, though -- one can always pray in any situation. That's the least one can do, is pray. Just walking past someone who obviously needs help without even a simple "Lord, please help this person" is not a good thing to do.

Nothing at all... if prayer really is all one can do.

There's plenty wrong, however, with so many Christians saying "Lord, help this person... (because you know I won't)."

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing at all... if prayer really is all one can do.

There's plenty wrong, however, with so many Christians saying "Lord, help this person... (because you know I won't)."

That's not yours to judge, though.

Yes it is wrong for a Christian to do that. However, how can you judge what a person is, or is not capable of doing? Does the person know they are capable of more, or does a person truly believe that they are incapable of more?

Let's say for example, I've got car payments and a mortgage and I'm barely lasting paycheck-to-paycheck and I walk past a homeless man and I have $50 in my pocket and my paycheck ain't for another 4 days.

Yes, I have $50 on me. But can I give any of that away and still be able to keep up with my bills? Perhaps. Or perhaps not.

Maybe I'll unexpectedly inherit several thousand dollars tomorrow. Who knows. Or, I might wreck my car tomorrow and be in some serious trouble.

We don't know that. I think it comes more down to the heart -- I'd love to give that guy some of that $50, but I'm afraid that if I do... I won't have enough to continue meeting my own needs.

Now, if I'm a person who has excess money and am in low danger of financial trouble and I walk past the guy because I don't feel like stopping, yeah, that's definitely wrong.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's not yours to judge, though.

It's a free country; I can judge all I want.

Yes it is wrong for a Christian to do that. However, how can you judge what a person is, or is not capable of doing? Does the person know they are capable of more, or does a person truly believe that they are incapable of more?

Well, only they can determine that -- IF, however, they can do more, but choose not to...

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
That is truly touching. Friends and I are currently scouting locations for a homeless shelter in our area. And a food pantry that's far closer to some of the major towns and cities than what is currently available.
I may be Ignostic however, I have to say I would never mock people who commend this young man's praying for this poor soul. I'd actually wonder how they'd treat the homeless were one of us to see them off line and in the streets of their own city.
I'd actually fear for the homeless from the read of some of the remarks here. That's a sad testimony to be sure.

bal-teenage-boy-praying-over-homeless-man-in-baltimore-goes-viral-20160308

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

funny-pictures-kitten-is-tough-and-.jpg

This thread had quite a clean up of off topic and posts that had other violations.

As a reminder, this is not an Apologetics thread. Nor is it the place to flame others or the Christian faith.

The rules include:

Those who do not adhere to the Statement of Faith are welcome as members and participants in discussions, but you are required to respect these beliefs, even if you do not share them.

Blasphemy
It is considered blasphemy to insult or mock Christianity or any part of the Trinity-Father (God), Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. Honest debate about the nature of God and Christian Theology is allowed, but derogatory remarks are not.

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

Keep it on topic and not about each other.

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0