Earth
✟1,467,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you do night classes and work during the day or if seminary is day only work at night?

if you had to go that route because of work, the St Stephen's courses from the Antiochian Archdiocese would probably be best. those courses are designed for folks who cannot make it to an Orthodox Seminary.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is a joke about US Orthodox seminaries that goes like this:

St. Tikhon's will teach you how to swing a censer.
St. Vlad's will teach you why you swing the censer.
Holy Cross will teach you how much it costs.

If I had a choice I would choose St. Tikhon's because of the cost and professors.

If money were not an issue Holy Cross might move up to my top choice, but they are just too expensive especially compared to what's available elsewhere.

Reactions: George95
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd love to go to Holy Cross, but it seems St. Tikhon's would be best I suppose should the whole tuition with the Church not work out.

St. Tikhon's has one great resource, Dr. Christopher Veniamin, who's a spiritual son of Elder Zacharias of St. John the Baptist Monastery of Essex.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,399,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Really?

One thing about Holy Cross is that I met the President of the College years ago as a kid when they had lunch at my family's restaurant. Not sure if that would help. :D

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
St. Tikhon's has one great resource, Dr. Christopher Veniamin, who's a spiritual son of Elder Zacharias of St. John the Baptist Monastery of Essex.

and the Monastery Abbot is the Spirituality professor, and Bp Michael of NY, who is one of the few bishops who has the whole Psalter memorized, is one of the Scripture professors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
and the Monastery Abbot is the Spirituality professor, and Bp Michael of NY, who is one of the few bishops who has the whole Psalter memorized, is one of the Scripture professors.

When I first became Orthodox Holy Cross and St. Vlad's seemed to be no brain-ers, but the more I grow in my Orthodoxy the more appealing St. Tikhon's becomes (not saying the other seminaries are bad).

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
not only is Dr. Christopher now a spiritual son of Fr. Zacharias, he was a spiritual son of Elder Sophrony for many years before that. He grew up in England going to the monastery. Dr. Christopher is the creme de la creme.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
not only is Dr. Christopher now a spiritual son of Fr. Zacharias, he was a spiritual son of Elder Sophrony for many years before that. He grew up in England going to the monastery. Dr. Christopher is the creme de la creme.

and Fr Sergius was tonsured to the great schema in Essex as well.

Upvote 0