Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So I've heard plenty of people tell me that over in Greece and Cyprus, the Church will pay for your education as they are in need of Priests. However, here in America, the Church doesn't do that.

I've had a few people say that's a bit wrong in a way. What do you guys think?

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Actually, I believe the Antiochians will pay for your seminary tuition, but you have to attend which seminary they tell you to attend.

Other than that the GOA only has scholarships and I'm not sure about the OCA.

Im pretty sure if you commit to being a priest in the GOARCH, Holy Cross Seminary is free. Have you looked on their website?

The thing in Greece is that most higher education is free, one reason why there so broke

I've looked on Holy Cross's website, and I've never seen that.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It would be handled through your Metropolis.
How so? I ask because one of the guys I served in the Altar with is going to the seminary at Holy Cross, and he was able to get scholarships and various "hookups" through our priest.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
OCA does have scholarships. I remember one of the priests back home got through seminary many moons ago that way.

As for Greece... the thing to remember about traditional Greek culture is that back in the day if one of the sons could not become a doctor, lawyer, engineer or anything else than he was the one who became the priest. I'm not sure if it is like that anymore, but that would not surprise me if it's part of the priest shortage.

Personally, I don't think that the state should pay for seminary because if the priest ends up being a pedophile than one could hypothetically sue the state. Also attending a seminary does not guarantee priesthood; sorry, but I'd rather get a guaranteed result out of my investment ;)
That being said there should also be things like scholarships and the like. Adopting a seminarian is a great thing since that's one way the parish could get exposed to somebody not from their immediate area. We hosted a seminarian for a couple years back in Washington state. The seminarian in question was from Uganda and, in my opinion, a bit of a living saint. We learned a lot from him and became his home parish. If not for that program than we would have never met the man.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Good points, thanks for posting.

Pretty much after calculating it all up, I'd be looking at paying at least $60-70K for Seminary, which is what brought up this question.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
How so? I ask because one of the guys I served in the Altar with is going to the seminary at Holy Cross, and he was able to get scholarships and various "hookups" through our priest.

Your priest should be familiar with the process or know who to speak to in your Metropolis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Good points, thanks for posting.

Pretty much after calculating it all up, I'd be looking at paying at least $60-70K for Seminary, which is what brought up this question.

not if you rock the St. Tikhon's or Jordanville scene.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I'm Greek Orthodox, but I've looked at that. Probably a stupid question, but would the GOA still ordain me if I went to a RO seminary?

it's certainly happened before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the other seminaries are anything like St. Vladimir's no, you can't work and do classes. There's no way to get it all done (unless someone paid you to study as a job, I suppose).

I don't know a lot about Holy Cross, my bishop doesn't send people there and my priest doesn't recommend it. We're not in the Greek jurisdiction though. Some of my friends who are here at St. Vlad's and are in the Greek jurisdiction were basically told to go elsewhere, however, because they weren't Greek. If you're not ethnically Greek you might look at going to Seminary through a different jurisdiction.

From what I've gathered, Holy Cross is very expensive and requires more time than other seminaries (I believe if you're pursuing ordination they require you to spend an academic year in Greece). There are ways of paying for it, but the first step in thinking about going to seminary is always to talk to your priest. Of course seminary is grad school, so you need an undergraduate degree first. Holy Cross Sem is attached to an undergraduate university, but the other seminaries aren't. The most useful degrees I've seen here have been in music, foreign languages, and philosophy, in that order.

If you end up thinking about St. Vlad's I can tell you what that process is like!

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm Greek Orthodox, but I've looked at that. Probably a stupid question, but would the GOA still ordain me if I went to a RO seminary?

It is tough to say. I know of one Metropolitan in the GOA who will only allow men interested in priesthood in his diocese to go to Holy Cross. So it really depends on the bishop.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If the other seminaries are anything like St. Vladimir's no, you can't work and do classes. There's no way to get it all done (unless someone paid you to study as a job, I suppose).

I don't know a lot about Holy Cross, my bishop doesn't send people there and my priest doesn't recommend it. We're not in the Greek jurisdiction though. Some of my friends who are here at St. Vlad's and are in the Greek jurisdiction were basically told to go elsewhere, however, because they weren't Greek. If you're not ethnically Greek you might look at going to Seminary through a different jurisdiction.

From what I've gathered, Holy Cross is very expensive and requires more time than other seminaries (I believe if you're pursuing ordination they require you to spend an academic year in Greece). There are ways of paying for it, but the first step in thinking about going to seminary is always to talk to your priest. Of course seminary is grad school, so you need an undergraduate degree first. Holy Cross Sem is attached to an undergraduate university, but the other seminaries aren't. The most useful degrees I've seen here have been in music, foreign languages, and philosophy, in that order.

If you end up thinking about St. Vlad's I can tell you what that process is like!

I'm ethnically Greek as well. Holy Cross is really expensive indeed, which is why the seminarian got the hook up on Holy Cross as far as paying for it(Long story that isn't the best) since the priest was Alumni President of HC.

It is tough to say. I know of one Metropolitan in the GOA who will only allow men interested in priesthood in his diocese to go to Holy Cross. So it really depends on the bishop.

I'm from the GOA Metropolis of New Jersey. Bishop Evangelos is one who isn't the friendliest bishop, so I'm not sure how he is with his priests. :D

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Or if you're an extreme Hellenophile than Holy Cross works well too. There was a kid in my old parish who wanted to become Greek and Orthodox, so to Holy Cross he went.

From what I've gathered, Holy Cross is very expensive and requires more time than other seminaries (I believe if you're pursuing ordination they require you to spend an academic year in Greece). There are ways of paying for it, but the first step in thinking about going to seminary is always to talk to your priest. Of course seminary is grad school, so you need an undergraduate degree first. Holy Cross Sem is attached to an undergraduate university, but the other seminaries aren't.
Yes.

Upvote 0