Detroit area
✟22,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do any of you deal with parents who want to control your life? It only seems like it's getting worse and worse for me. They bother me when I stay up late, and they are purposely waking me up at 9 o'clock every morning in the summer against my wishes. I live under their roof, and I understand that. But where do you draw the line this issue? Obviously, I have no problem with waking up about at about 9:30 on a Sunday morning and getting out for church. I just think it is unreasonable to force me to get up early everyday when I have no reason to wake up. Normally, I don't work until 1 on the days I work, so there is little to get up at 9. I am so frustrated!!!

JOYfulbeliever

Oct 10, 2002
✟3,922.00
Faith
Baptist
:D Sounds all too familiar! My parents can be very controlling.

The reason for them waking you up could have something to do with them trying to prepare you for the "real world." Most likely, you won't always be able to wait until 1:00 to go into work - so they may be trying to get you into a routine of getting up earlier? I dunno. Honestly, I'd kill to be able to sleep UNTIL 9:00! :D At any rate, your parents need to have a little more trust in you to take responsibility for yourself. You are, after all, an adult.

Why don't you sit down and talk with them and try to make some compromises. Find out WHY they control certain areas. Maybe if you understand their reasons, it won't seem as much like they are controlling? And maybe if they understand how much it bothers you, they will back off some?

Just a suggestion. ;)

Upvote 0

jeepgirl1

Jan 4, 2004
✟310.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Motor City,
Have you tried sitting down and talking to 'em about it? Do it calmly and rationally ... if you feel yourself getting overly emotional or raising your voice, end the conversation b/c when you reach this point nothing will get solved. If this still doesn't work, you've pretty much got two options: 1. resign yourself to your 9 am wake-up calls
or 2. move out.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I had controlling parents when I was younger, and in many ways they still try to control me, if I would let them. My solution, at your age, was to become extremely rebellious. It is a course that I do not recommend, as it cost me twenty years of my life and a good relationship with my parents. What would I recommend for you now? I'll give it a try.

First, sitting down and talking with your parents is most likely going to be very frustrating for you. Why? because they already know, and probably got their own reasons for why they are purposely doing this to you. Explaining how it annoys you or cramps your style won't work, because they already know this. Parents generaly do not deliberately annoy their children, without having a plan in mind. Figure out what their plan is. Yes, you may ask them, and they should tell you. If they give you the canned response like, "its our house, live by our rules", this is code that they do not approve of your lifestyle and want you to change and become, in their view, a responsible adult. Why? because they love you, and do not want you to sleep your life away.

What are your options?

1) do nothing and put up with their annoyances

2) shape up to their rules, and like it

3) This is the hard one.....................Dude, you are 21 and have a job, why are you still at home? Did you ever think of living on your own? The excuse that you can't afford it is lame; this just means that you can't afford what your parents give you for free. Look around and see what you can afford, and go for it. Your only alternative to this is option #1 or #2 above

Sorry, BWAP

dude that has been there,

good luck

ps my last summer vacation (3 months off) was in 1979, and I now get up at 5:30AM to go to work. the only consolation is that I make a great deal of money, but at this point I think that I would rather be in your position and get up at 9:00AM and go to work at 1:00PM. There are more important things in life than money, enjoy them while they last;) just to give the perspective of what lies ahead in life:D

Upvote 0

Raanan

Titles make me queasy
May 29, 2004
Alaska
Visit site
✟15,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Eh, he could be like my buddy and going to college and therefore trying to save as much as possible over the summer

Then there's me. Going off to college but not bothering to find a job or save money because God has other plans for my summer. I tell ya, parents do NOT undertand that one...

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Raanan said:
Eh, he could be like my buddy and going to college and therefore trying to save as much as possible over the summer

Then there's me. Going off to college but not bothering to find a job or save money because God has other plans for my summer. I tell ya, parents do NOT undertand that one...

like I said, I would rather have the time, than the money...........parents do understand...............all too well;) ...............just don't know any sane parents that would buy the God excuse:D ............that is unless you could prove it, hehehe

Wait a minute, he's 21, he should have graduated by now:p

Upvote 0

Raanan

Titles make me queasy
May 29, 2004
Alaska
Visit site
✟15,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Beh, I'm 20 and just going in.

As for proof, I don't have to prove a thing. My pursuit has been and always will be Jesus. That's taken me quite a few places in this world I would have never been otherwise and has led me to make seemingly "stupid" decisions which my parents have never understood but have always turned out for the best because God is in control, not them.

Upvote 0

superdave

are you super-natural?
May 14, 2002
West Texas
Visit site
✟1,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I concur with boughtwithaprice, Get out of the house man. When you hit 18, I think you need to get out of there. I left my parent's house my senior year in HS. I actually lived with my Great Grandmother, and that was a great experience being 260 miles away from Mom and Dad. And then when I went to ministry school- I was 100 miles and living completly on my own.

Man, Independence is awesome. I mean, you learn so much. You learn how to provide for yourself, you learn how to do things that your mom use to do, and you can eat, sleep, and do whatever you want- at any hour. But-- I do believe you need to be responsible. Waking up at 9 AM is not that bad... and I think your parent's are doing the right thing trying to teach you some responsibility.

Now, if they are putting strict curfews on you- I think they might be stepping the lines a little bit- since you are 21. But, I think your parents are teaching you- to not be a lazy bum. Because there is a lot you can do in the mornings. Like for instances, Pray and Read the word, Go Jogging, Cook a nice breakfast, clean your car, mow the lawn- I mean the list can go on. I am not a morning person- at all- but I am trying to get in a habit at least waking up an hour and a half before I go to work at 8:30 AM. This way it gives me time to get my act together, before I go in full throttle. Get some coffee- read the word, pray a little, maybe take a walk in the park, go to the gym- all of those things are what make or break the day- I suggest that you do them.

Dave.

Upvote 0

tesnusxenos

Apr 17, 2004
Tesnus, Texas
Visit site
✟15,396.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
As a parent of college kids I have a view that is a little different. When you are home durring the summer you are a guest and you need to act like the kind of guest I am going to want to come back again that means being part of the family keeping the same hours and eating together and helping out just as you would if you were visiting someone and wanted to be invited back. If your not doing that then you are either a moocher or you are paying share (rent, food insurance ,utilities, upkeep) and being a border. I wouldnt dream of visiting someone and rattling around in there house all night while they slept(or tried to) and then skipping breakfast and rolling out of bed at noon to go do my own thing.

What atvantage is there for your parents in having you at home unless they get to be with you and enjoy visiting with you. they have no need of a stranger(someone who doesn't want to participate in the family) living with them.

I give my kids two or three days to catch up on their sleep(always sleep deprived after finals) and then they join the family and keep basicly the same hours as my husband and I(we get up an hour earlier and go to bed an hour earlier. Sometimes that means getting up at 5AM if we are moving cows! We go for walks and play games and eat together.We try to enjoy one another while we are together. If tsomeone goes to town to spend time with their friends they can sleep in (happens maybe once a week).
I enjoy having my kids home but I would not enjoy it if they slept all day and stayed up all night .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rkonfire

The Lude.
Apr 1, 2004
Alaska
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You're under their roof. If you want to make your own decisions, etc., then you need to take a leap of faith and set out on your own. I am 19 and living at home till next summer because I'm saving money so I can get out by myself and not be totally broke. However, until I move completely out, I am under my parents rules, basically. Even though my parents have basically "let go" and realized my age, I do understand that if something comes up, it's their rule I've got to abide by or it's time to go!

Your situation is totally up to you, bro. You're old enough to move on but you're not doing so. Thus, you're going to have to abide by your parents' rules till you step out that door.

Upvote 0

Motor City Christian

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Detroit area
✟22,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok, I guess I should have included more about myself. I am a commuting student during the school year, and this issue has just now started. Moving out honestly isn't an option for me as I am trying to save up. I would probably be in debt if I had to move out. Anyways, I appreciate your suggestions and opinions, keep them coming.

Upvote 0

Aimee03

Jul 14, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know exactly how you feel Motor City Christian. I think my mother got 10 times worse since I have started college. She thinks I should be up by 8 o'clock. I only have 2 days to sleep late (between work and school), I rarely get to enjoy them.:cry:

Upvote 0

jeepgirl1

Jan 4, 2004
✟310.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Motor City Christian said:
Ok, I guess I should have included more about myself. I am a commuting student during the school year, and this issue has just now started. Moving out honestly isn't an option for me as I am trying to save up. I would probably be in debt if I had to move out. Anyways, I appreciate your suggestions and opinions, keep them coming.
Motor City,
Sometimes you just have to suck it up. If you've tried talking to them and their still dead-set in their ways, there's really not a whole lot you can do. If you have older siblings, maybe you can get them to put in a good word with the 'rents about sleeping late. Yeah, getting up at 9 sucks, but what time are you going to bed? If its after midnight, a lot of this could be solved by you going to bed earlier. Yeah, I know it sucks, but if its just for the summer, you could learn to live with it.

If you don't think you can adjust to your parents' wake up calls, it is probably time for you to start looking around for a place of your own. I'm sure your college has bulletin boards where people post roommate availabilities.

Upvote 0

kca4christ

Feb 16, 2004
Kansas CIty, Missouri
✟7,665.00
Faith
Christian
I guess I look at it this way and as you can see I am 24, was on my own all of my college years and graduated and left in May 2003....and didnt know what I was going to do so I moved back home temporartily. Many of my friends did the same thing once they graduated. No, I am not paying rent, or going by anyone's "rules"

Maybe its because I grew up as one of the few unspoiled kids in my group of friends, but I now have a desire to be spoiled. I odnt think its a bad thing. I have always paid for clothes, shoes etc before college, and during college, I used loans to put myself through school. My parents hardly paid a penny. I paid my own rent, I would never ask for help with bils etc. I even pulled myself out of 4K $$ of credit card debt.

But now I am back home till I find a better paying job and then I will move out...I want the independence back...its such a great thing!! BUT, I still think I should be spoiled....all of my college friends had parents who knew how to save $$$ and pay for their kids colleges, as well as rent, books etc. My parents make 80K and still struggle.....no financial expertise whatsoever.

As my parents oldest kid, I just wanna be spoiled for awhile and so now I am mooching off them, cuz I think i deserve it. Now I know some of you probably think what I am doing is wrong, but your probably the ones who hated the stuck-up kids in high school. Its not that anyone is stuck-up or up-tight its just the way other perceive it.

I will spoil my kids when I get married so bad...I think its great, to heap blessings on your kids, but also to discipline your kids so they know they still have respoinsibilities.....if you do the latter, and not the former, then life is not fun...why do you think so many kids rebel when they hit college campuses?

For once I would like to have things paid for by my parents...a nice car, etc. I mean I know I cant get my school paid for because its already done, but I look at how comfortable my friends are living, its because in college, even though they lived indpendently, their parents paid their way for everything and they are fine now, maybe even better for it.

I know that at 24, all this is probably fantasy, as I will be moving out soon enough and going to create an atmosphere where I spoil myself, since I never got it growing up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
kca4christ said:
I guess I look at it this way and as you can see I am 24, was on my own all of my college years and graduated and left in May 2003....and didnt know what I was going to do so I moved back home temporartily. Many of my friends did the same thing once they graduated. No, I am not paying rent, or going by anyone's "rules"

Maybe its because I grew up as one of the few unspoiled kids in my group of friends, but I now have a desire to be spoiled. I odnt think its a bad thing. I have always paid for clothes, shoes etc before college, and during college, I used loans to put myself through school. My parents hardly paid a penny. I paid my own rent, I would never ask for help with bils etc. I even pulled myself out of 4K $$ of credit card debt.

But now I am back home till I find a better paying job and then I will move out...I want the independence back...its such a great thing!! BUT, I still think I should be spoiled....all of my college friends had parents who knew how to save $$$ and pay for their kids colleges, as well as rent, books etc. My parents make 80K and still struggle.....no financial expertise whatsoever.

As my parents oldest kid, I just wanna be spoiled for awhile and so now I am mooching off them, cuz I think i deserve it. Now I know some of you probably think what I am doing is wrong, but your probably the ones who hated the stuck-up kids in high school. Its not that anyone is stuck-up or up-tight its just the way other perceive it.

I will spoil my kids when I get married so bad...I think its great, to heap blessings on your kids, but also to discipline your kids so they know they still have respoinsibilities.....if you do the latter, and not the former, then life is not fun...why do you think so many kids rebel when they hit college campuses?

For once I would like to have things paid for by my parents...a nice car, etc. I mean I know I cant get my school paid for because its already done, but I look at how comfortable my friends are living, its because in college, even though they lived indpendently, their parents paid their way for everything and they are fine now, maybe even better for it.

I know that at 24, all this is probably fantasy, as I will be moving out soon enough and going to create an atmosphere where I spoil myself, since I never got it growing up.

It feels so much better to buy my own nice car, cool house, and then take my parents on vacation:) and spoil them...Yeah I feel ripped off that I never got a car for my birthday from my parents, but I was a rebel and didn't deserve it. You sound like a good kid and probably should be spoiled, but the way to get it is not to blame your parents, but rather to look for opportunities. Life is not fair, but it is what you make it.
Due to your life experiences, you would probably be a much more pleasant person to be around, than one who was spoiled. Oh, and I can tell you that the atmosphere that you dream of is sweet. Your freedom will be that much more enjoyale.

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
EXCUUUUUSE me??? You got cars from your parents? AND you get upset when you didnt and blame it on rebelliousness? :rolls eyes:

I for one am glad my parents didn't bail me out everytime I had financial hassles - frankly I never told them because if I did, the judgement would be too much! I believe that if you are old enough to be responsible for a car, you are responsible enough to buy it yourself - even if it means getting a loan. I got a car via a loan, with my mum as guarantor (because I was still in university), but I paid EVERY single payment on that car. Was it hard? YES. Did I like doing it? YES. Why - it taught me to budget and not rely on others to get me outta strife.

If you have parents that WANT to that's fine, but I add a word of caution. Every one of my friends who had parents buy them cars, pay for them at college, pay their bills when life was hard now is in debt and have no idea how to manage money. I would rather have had to tighten my belt a bit and learn to budget without being helped out than be in the situation with no money sense.

I came from a 'controlling' (as you like to call it) family home. I was 21, still had to be home by 930 on work nights, and 1130 on weekends. I could only have 3 nights out a week. This was non-negotiable. If I knew I was going to be later than 930 or 1130 (depending on night) I had to ring before 9 and tell them. If I didn't I had to SMS them.

I moved out at 21.5 because I needed my space. Yes I have a heck of a lot less in my bank balance, and I had to be responsible for every bill from thereon in (my parents have never loaned me money since I moved out), but it taught me heaps about myself and responsibility.

If you get in the habit in college that your parents will bail you out when money gets tight - don't be surprised if you end up with no clue how to manage money.

If you are responsible enough to get a degree, work part time, own a car, a phone, rent a house or apartment - you should be responsible enough to manage the bills that come with these items BY YOURSELF :D

Sasch

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
you want to know why you should be listening to your parents and doing what they say?

This is why(its going to be long)
EPH 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER (which is the first commandment with a promise),3 SO THAT IT MAY BE WELL WITH YOU, AND THAT YOU MAY LIVE LONG ON THE EARTH.

Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right. Honor your father and mother which is the first commandment with promise that it may be well with you and that you may live long on the earth." By the way, these are the only verses in the Bible that command children. Children should be taught these. They should specifically be taught these things. They should be taught to obey.

Children, by the way, the word "children" is ta tekna, it's the general word for offspring, it doesn't necessarily identify an infant, there's another word for an infant. It's just talking about children in general, no age is in view, from the birth all the way to being young people, as long as they are under parental control and parental care, as soon as they are old enough to know what is right they are to be taught to obey their parents. That strong self-centered depravity has to be harnessed, and obedience is the key to that. They must be taught to obey. The word "obey" is hupakouo, akouo has to do with hearing, hupa, under--to get under and listen. Obedience is the issue, teach your children to obey.

And really that's the issue. And I'll tell you something. As you raise your children and you're consistently doing that, there will be times when they fight against it more aggressively than other times. And those are the battle times, when you have to consistently force the issue of their obedience and make the consequence severe enough so that they get the message. It's not going to be ten years of battle, it will be ten years of teaching with here and there, a few weeks of real warfare as they endeavor to fight to maintain the freedoms of their own evil nature.

This is so serious to God, listen to what it says in Exodus 21 verses 15 and 17, "And he who strikes his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Whoa...that's some serious respect. In the old economy, you hit your mother, you hit your father, you're dead.

And listen to what the rest of it says, verse 17, "He who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Kill those children who don't show their parents respect.

You say, "Whoa, is God that serious about it?" God knows that there is no way as He identifies His people in Exodus, as He calls them out to be a witnessing nation in the world, there is no way to perpetuate righteousness in a family unless there is obedience. And it is so serious that that law of God be perpetuated from Israel and spread around the world that He says if you have any child that won't obey, just kill him. Disobedience and disrespect, punishable by death. That is how serious an issue this is. You can't pass on righteousness to a generation. You can't even have a society that controls itself. You can't have anything that is ordered unless you have people who have learned submission, obedience, and the big word, self- control. When you teach your children to obey, you teach them self-control. You teach them how to repress their depravity, how to win the victory over their sinful impulses. You do it by making the consequences severe enough that they won't do it. It's the only hope for society. It's the only hope for the preservation of righteousness. It's the only hope for the truth of God to be passed on, is an obedient generation of children. So serious was God at the start of this that He said kill the ones that won't do it.

You see, children are deficient in four areas. And you can find those areas simply by reminding yourself of Luke 2:52 where it says about our Lord Jesus, "And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man." Jesus as a little child grew. He grew in four areas. Wisdom and stature, that means he grew mentally and physically. In favor with God and man, that means He grew spiritually and socially. Those are the four categories in which children are deficient. They are mentally deficient, what that means is they have limited knowledge and limited wisdom. They are physically deficient, they have limited strength. They are socially deficient, they are selfish and proud. You know, they want what they want when they want it and they show off a lot. And they are spiritually deficient in that they are sinful and do not know God personally.
Obey your parents in the Lord," what does that mean? For the Lord's sake because your parents are teaching you the things that are precious to the Lord. Children, you should obey your parents willingly. You should obey your parents unconditionally. You should obey your parents gladly and joyfully because they are teaching you the truth of God. And all these efforts that go on in our culture, all these efforts that go on to liberate children from parental authority and liberate children from physical punishment are disastrous and violate God's law.

For more info on this check this site (ps, all my info came directly from here)
http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/1948.HTM
http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/1949.HTM

peace

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sascha Fitzpatrick said:
EXCUUUUUSE me??? You got cars from your parents? AND you get upset when you didnt and blame it on rebelliousness? :rolls eyes:

I for one am glad my parents didn't bail me out everytime I had financial hassles - frankly I never told them because if I did, the judgement would be too much! I believe that if you are old enough to be responsible for a car, you are responsible enough to buy it yourself - even if it means getting a loan. I got a car via a loan, with my mum as guarantor (because I was still in university), but I paid EVERY single payment on that car. Was it hard? YES. Did I like doing it? YES. Why - it taught me to budget and not rely on others to get me outta strife.

If you have parents that WANT to that's fine, but I add a word of caution. Every one of my friends who had parents buy them cars, pay for them at college, pay their bills when life was hard now is in debt and have no idea how to manage money. I would rather have had to tighten my belt a bit and learn to budget without being helped out than be in the situation with no money sense.

I came from a 'controlling' (as you like to call it) family home. I was 21, still had to be home by 930 on work nights, and 1130 on weekends. I could only have 3 nights out a week. This was non-negotiable. If I knew I was going to be later than 930 or 1130 (depending on night) I had to ring before 9 and tell them. If I didn't I had to SMS them.

I moved out at 21.5 because I needed my space. Yes I have a heck of a lot less in my bank balance, and I had to be responsible for every bill from thereon in (my parents have never loaned me money since I moved out), but it taught me heaps about myself and responsibility.

If you get in the habit in college that your parents will bail you out when money gets tight - don't be surprised if you end up with no clue how to manage money.

If you are responsible enough to get a degree, work part time, own a car, a phone, rent a house or apartment - you should be responsible enough to manage the bills that come with these items BY YOURSELF :D

Sasch

Your post is so funny:D I didn't say that I got cars. I meant that I was jealous of the ones that did, ok;) I didn't own a car till I was 25, bought it my self; 94,000 miles and 900.00 all I could afford. I also financed my education and am in debt to the tune of 120,000.00 for the next thirty years.
Thankfully, I can manage my finances, where it still feels like I am living paycheck to paycheck, but I do alright. Life is good without help from my parents.

The best advice that I ever heard, came in a rock song from the 1970s by "Cheap Trick", it went

Mommie's alright
Daddy's alright
they just seem a little wierd
surrender, surrender
but don't give yourself away...........hey, ay

life is good, don't make it harder than it has to be:)

Upvote 0