snowpumpkin

Mar 11, 2012
Eastern USA
✟7,816.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
but that's the problem. the whole chrismation vs rebaptism is doctrinal!

How it is exercised is subjective. One would say the form was correct so we'll bring you in through crismation, which we are allowed to do because of economia. Another believes that Grace does not exist outside of the church at all and would rebaptise everyone.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Re Orthodoxinfo & other Christians etc.

My half baked personal opinion is that there is a time & place for defending the faith as one may find in Orthodox info& yet I would probably be regarded as "modernist" for formally believing other Christians have salvation also (not all of course nor all nominal Orthodox either). Some other churches are models of faith & others a wreckage; one must discern carefully. How could I not believe that a Moslem finding Jesus Christ as Lord within a 4 Square Pentecostal church (for ex.) & lives by the commandments will not be saved?

Yet, if the faith is endangered internally & externally & the Eucharist subject to sacramental abuse, it is time to remember those of our hierarchs who proclaim the faith & reject divergence like here:

Letter of Patriarch Diodoros I to the Patriarch of Antioch

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How it is exercised is subjective. One would say the form was correct so we'll bring you in through crismation, which we are allowed to do because of economia. Another believes that Grace does not exist outside of the church at all and would rebaptise everyone.

If the visible side of the sacrament was correct, the Church can fulfill the invisible element. Meaning the forms are empty and need to be completed by the Church.

Some mention that Fr. Seraphim Rose was received by chrismation only.
This is proof that eikonomia does not presuppose that the form was a true baptism. This is because the ROCOR has always been adamant that heterodox sacraments impart no grace at all. The First-ever Heirarch of ROCOR Metropolitan Anthony, was a distinguished theologian who wrote extensively on the Orthodox Approach of the reception of converts and the use of economy.

Metropolitan Philaret of ROCOR taught the same thing and his writings on the subject are plentiful as well. Fr. Seraphim Rose believed the same.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to Orthodoxy, Gurney! This is one of my bigger stumbling blocks. We all believe the same doctrine, but when it comes to Orthodox praxis, we live like protestants, each doing our own thing.

Two bishops can say opposite things, but they can both be right, because they're bishops.

This is why I feel like I'm losing my mind inside Orthodoxy. Two bishops can say different things and both opinions are OK. If I listen to my priest, I'm good. But I listen to another priest or bishop, who has a different opinion than mine does, I'm committing a sin by not listening to MY priest, even though both opinions are acceptable to Orthodoxy...

So I feel like I have to blindly listen to my new priest, despite what my old priest said, and check my mind at the door.

Uh, you're thinking about this either too much or not enough. Also, you're not required to 100% listen to your priest.

Upvote 0