South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This whole issue is a perfect example of the sports team political mentality that really mucks up getting any real progress from our legislative system. People decide how they will react to an issue based on the political party of the person - not the merit of the article. More concern with which party will benefit from an issue than if it makes life better or worse for the people as a while.

Other than a few people with pride issues in Ohio, who should be getting upset about returning the name of the mountain to what the people in Alaska have been calling it anyway. This should be a massive "OK". No reasonable way this should be a negative toward Obama or Palin or... Good grief.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I want to hear more about this 'decades-old conflict' between Alaska and Ohio, which the Blaze article in the OP mentions but fails to expand on. Does Canada get caught in the crossfire?
We can only hope so, if for no other reason than to put a little respectability in there...

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think they're arguing that what he's doing is morally wrong, but that it's an overextension of his authority. It could be called Kill-The-Injuns Mountain. He would still need to go through some sort of proper channels to do this. We're not a monarchy.
Is it important? Probably not. People are just angry because it's more of the same.
I understand. It is a legitimate concern to make sure the president isn't just changing things on a whim without going through the proper channels. In this case, Obama did exactly what any normal president would (or should) do.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I understand. It is a legitimate concern to make sure the president isn't just changing things on a whim without going through the proper channels. In this case, Obama did exactly what any normal president would (or should) do.

And I am very grateful for him doing so, and I have my own personal reasons for that, even though I don't live in Alaska.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Obummer was just trying to do something to get some people out to cheer for him.
Interestingly, he's going there to talk about global warming about the same time as a summer snow hits Alaska because of all this global warming.
It really takes a special kind of stupid to be enamored by this man.
No it takes a special kind of stupid to ignore the massive evidence of catastrophic man made climate change that is taking place. Remember the north west passage now open for shipping, summer snow is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And I am very grateful for him doing so, and I have my own personal reasons for that, even though I don't live in Alaska.
It is definitely a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good to know. So the whole thing might be a non-issue then. He might actually be using proper channels and authority.
And the Blaze is just another internet rag.

Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,570.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why is there a certain segment of people who think that every time President Obama does anything he is overstepping his authority? This act was done using authority granted him by an Act of Congress, at the direct request of the only state that is really affected by the change. Why are people up in arms about it? And to the Ohio Congresspeople upset about it, why don't they just name a land mark in their own state after him instead of forcing it on another state who is against it.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, I know.

But now those poor Ohioans no longer have a mountain in another state (and Alaska is how far from Ohio?) to name after their favorite home grown President McKinley, who never once step foot on that mountain, let alone stepped foot in the state of Alaska AND now the indigenous and non-indigenous people who actually live in Alaska can officially call the mountain Denali, which was its original native name in the first place and what they have called it for hundreds of years before it was renamed.

Excerpted from the same article linked above...
We still have his memorial in Niles , Ohio. :D

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
With all of the actual issues that we have to be concerned about... sure... lets talk about a stupid mountain, lets whine about the President changing the official name of the mountain back to what the people who.. you know... actually live by it.. call it.

The people deeply concerned about this horrific action by the President need to get up and go outside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I do have a friend that is Native Alaskan who is very happy about the change in name.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good to know. So the whole thing might be a non-issue then. He might actually be using proper channels and authority.
You'd think he was naming it Mt. Obama for all the silly fuss some people are kicking up.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Where is it written that the President of The United States gets to decide what a mountain is called? I really do not care what the mountain is called but I think that deciding what it ought to be called ought not to be the decision of one person.

Secretary Jewell Announces Nation’s Highest Peak Will Now Officially Bear Native Name

President Obama endorsed Jewell’s decision to issue a Secretarial Order that officially changes the name. Jewell is granted the authority to make such changes in certain cases per the 1947 federal law that provides for the standardization of geographic names through the U.S. Board on Geographic Names. The name change will be reflected in all federal usage.

Herein it is written...

43 U.S. Code § 364

The Secretary of the Interior, hereinafter called the Secretary, conjointly with the Board on Geographic Names, as hereinafter provided, shall provide for uniformity in geographic nomenclature and orthography throughout the Federal Government. The Secretary may exercise his functions through such officials as he may designate, except that such authority as relates to the final approval or review of actions of the Board on Geographic Names shall be exercised by him, or his Under or Assistant Secretaries.
[emphasis mine]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.