Not open for further replies.

zephyrWiccan

Jun 11, 2015
✟16,809.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Where is it written that the President of The United States gets to decide what a mountain is called? I really do not care what the mountain is called but I think that deciding what it ought to be called ought not to be the decision of one person.
The Department of the Interior gets to decide what the mountain is called. As is their lawful right.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Department of the Interior gets to decide what the mountain is called. As is their lawful right.

Yep, after 40 years of fruitlessly deferring to Congress. LOL.

I think Alaskans should get to change the name of one of Ohio's proudest landmarks to honor one of their state heroes. I know. Lake Erie could be renamed Lake Palin for no less than 40 years. After that period of time, the decision to change it back would go to Congress. It would be fair.

No?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Again why does the President get to decide? The Department of the Interior does nothing without the President's approval so do not pretend that the decision is not entirely in the hands of the President. Seems to me that the name of a mountain ought to be decided by the people that are in the area where the mountain is. Denali seems to be their choice in this instance so why was there any reason for any federal official to stick his/her nose into this to begin with. In other words I think it ludicrous for the federal government to proclaim an official name for things and I wonder who was it, in the first place, that decided to usurp the power of the local people in the naming of mountains they are more intimately acquainted with than some bureaucrat far away and why are we continuing the practice? Of course if someone wishes to continue using the name MT. McKinley, they , just as the locals have been calling it Denali for years against the proclamation to the contrary of the feds, are completely able to do so.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Again why does the President get to decide?
In most cases, the President wouldn't be involved at all. It would be pretty silly for him to just make a unilateral decision to change the name of mountain without a reason.

Seems to me that the name of a mountain ought to be decided by the people that are in the area where the mountain is. Denali seems to be their choice in this instance so why was there any reason for any federal official to stick his/her nose into this to begin with. In other words I think it ludicrous for the federal government to proclaim an official name for things
It makes life a lot easier when there are common, standard names for things. Otherwise we'd have a bunch of maps and documents with different names of different landmarks on it. That's just grounds for confusion. It makes sense to have one body that records the official names that is going to go on maps and documents. This body happens to be under the control of the Department of the Interior. Absent direction from Congress, usually they will defer to whatever the locals call it.

In this particular case, Alaska wanted it changed but the normal means of changing the names of landmarks was being blocked by delegates from Ohio. Basically as the result of an agreement in the 70s meant that the name of the Mountain would be Mt McKinley, but the park it is in would be called Denali and Congress couldn't consider renaming the mountain to something other than McKinley as long as there was a bill on the table to permanently name it McKinley. Ever since then, Ohio delegates have been proposing bills to permanently name it McKinley. So Congress couldn't tell the Dept of the Interior to rename it, but the executive branch still had the power to unilaterally change the name, which it generally doesn't like to do. Obama just decided to end the stupidity of it, make a nice gesture towards the people of Alaska, and direct the Dept of the Interior to change the name.

and I wonder who was it, in the first place, that decided to usurp the power of the local people in the naming of mountains they are more intimately acquainted with than some bureaucrat far away and why are we continuing the practice?
Basic story: a gold miner started calling it Mt McKinley in the papers for support of McKinley's presidential run, it stuck and just became the popular name, even if that's not what the locals called it. Eventually when recorded by the people who record the official names, that's what they used.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Again why does the President get to decide? The Department of the Interior does nothing without the President's approval so do not pretend that the decision is not entirely in the hands of the President. Seems to me that the name of a mountain ought to be decided by the people that are in the area where the mountain is. Denali seems to be their choice in this instance so why was there any reason for any federal official to stick his/her nose into this to begin with. In other words I think it ludicrous for the federal government to proclaim an official name for things and I wonder who was it, in the first place, that decided to usurp the power of the local people in the naming of mountains they are more intimately acquainted with than some bureaucrat far away and why are we continuing the practice? Of course if someone wishes to continue using the name MT. McKinley, they , just as the locals have been calling it Denali for years against the proclamation to the contrary of the feds, are completely able to do so.
To the highlighted part; You've never been a supervisor have you? Never delegated responsibility?

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
So sad to see so many Americans struggling with ODS. Please, for your own health and safety, lay off the FOX news guys.
Hopefully come Jan 2017 they can get SDS (no, not Students for a Democratic Society but Sanders Derangement Syndrome).

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I thought this would be good right here:

tulc(is jus sayn')
That's a heck of a look he's giving us. They should put him on the $20 bill so he can stare us down every day.

Upvote 0

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It's a real study in the social sciences and basic human psychology to read how many people think this is a non-issue. And yet the depths some will go to in order to harangue and mock and deride the topic that should be largely ignored if it is as nonsensical as first claimed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
That's a heck of a look he's giving us. They should put him on the $20 bill so he can stare us down every day.

Honestly, now that you mention it, I think I would take him or any other president over Andrew Jackson any day of the week.

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's a real study in the social sciences and basic human psychology to read how many people think this is a non-issue. And yet the depths some will go to in order to harangue and mock and deride the topic that should be largely ignored if it is as nonsensical as first claimed.
It is being largely ignored. What's being mocked and derided are those making it an issue and their reasoning for doing so.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, now that you mention it, I think I would take him or any other president over Andrew Jackson any day of the week.
Yeah, my Cherokee ancestry causes me to have an exceedingly low opinion of Jackson.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.