Not open for further replies.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
How is restoring the original native name to this mountain being out of control?

Many people in Alaska, including the Native Alaskans, still call this mountain Denali and have for many decades.

Excerpted from the article below...

Members of Alaska's congressional delegation said they were happy with the action.

"I’d like to thank the president for working with us to achieve this significant change to show honor, respect, and gratitude to the Athabascan people of Alaska,” Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said in a video statement recorded on the Ruth Glacier below the mountain.

Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska, said in an email that "Denali belongs to Alaska and its citizens. The naming rights already went to ancestors of the Alaska Native people, like those of my wife’s family. For decades, Alaskans and members of our congressional delegation have been fighting for Denali to be recognized by the federal government by its true name. I’m gratified that the president respected this.”

McKinley no more: America's tallest peak to be renamed Denali

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is restoring the original native name to this mountain being out of control?

Many people in Alaska, including the Native Alaskans, still call this mountain Denali and have for many decades.

Excerpted from the article below...

McKinley no more: America's tallest peak to be renamed Denali

Where is it written that the President of The United States gets to decide what a mountain is called? I really do not care what the mountain is called but I think that deciding what it ought to be called ought not to be the decision of one person.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Where is it written that the President of The United States gets to decide what a mountain is called? I really do not care what the mountain is called but I think that deciding what it ought to be called ought not to be the decision of one person.

It wasn't an arbitrary decision by President Obama, as the OP appears to be suggesting.

If you will read the article I linked in my previous post, it explains how this happened.

Excerpted from the article... (emphasis mine)

With the approval of President Barack Obama, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell has signed a “secretarial order” to officially change the name, the White House and Interior Department announced Sunday. The announcement comes roughly 24 hours before Obama touches down in Anchorage for a whirlwind tour of Alaska.

Talk of the name change has swirled in Alaska this year since the National Park Service officially registered no objection in a congressional hearing in Washington, D.C.

The tallest mountain in North America has long been known to Alaskans as Denali, its Koyukon Athabascan name, but its official name was not changed with the creation of Denali National Park and Preserve in 1980, 6 million acres carved out for federal protection under the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act. The state changed the name of the park’s tallest mountain to Denali at that time, but the federal government did not.

Jewell’s authority stems from a 1947 federal law that allows her to make changes to geographic names through the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, according to the department.

“I think for people like myself that have known the mountain as Denali for years and certainly for Alaskans, it's something that's been a long time coming,” Jewell told Alaska Dispatch News Sunday.

Every year, the same story plays out in Washington, D.C.: Alaska legislators sometimes file bills to change the name from Mount McKinley to Denali, and every year, someone in the Ohio congressional delegation -- the home state of the 25th President William McKinley -- files legislation to block a name change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
It wasn't. It was done because of a consensus of the First Nations people who have lived under the mountain for a whole lot longer than white "settlers" who came for gold and riches.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Obummer was just trying to do something to get some people out to cheer for him.
Interestingly, he's going there to talk about global warming about the same time as a summer snow hits Alaska because of all this global warming.
It really takes a special kind of stupid to be enamored by this man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
It takes a special kind of hatred to not call the President by his name....

Yes, I know.

But now those poor Ohioans no longer have a mountain in another state (and Alaska is how far from Ohio?) to name after their favorite home grown President McKinley, who never once step foot on that mountain, let alone stepped foot in the state of Alaska AND now the indigenous and non-indigenous people who actually live in Alaska can officially call the mountain Denali, which was its original native name in the first place and what they have called it for hundreds of years before it was renamed.

Excerpted from the same article linked above...

The mountain was named for McKinley before he became president, by gold prospector William A. Dickey, who had just received word of McKinley’s nomination as a candidate in 1896. McKinley died without ever setting foot in Alaska, assassinated at the start of his second term in office.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where is it written that the President of The United States gets to decide what a mountain is called?
Well it's located in a national park, which is controlled by the National Park Service, which under the executive branch. So I would assume that absent an act of Congress, the president has the power to tell the NPS what to call it in some way, and what the NPS calls it is what it will be generally known as. Alaskans already call it Denali and have been trying to get previous admins or congress to change the name.

EDIT: Apparently the Department of the Interior, which falls under the executive branch, has the power to do this. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell is going to issue an order Board on Geographic Names. So there's where the President can essentially decide what a mountain is called.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,116.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yeah President Obama really is out of control, you know with him using the powers specifically granted to him by legislation. On a more serious note, this is good I think. It's acknowledging the culture of the local area, which I think is more important then naming it after a President that has absolutely no connection to the mountain or state.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Flew around Denali in 1992 (couldn't fly 'over', no oxygen). Loaded with beautiful glaciers. Mountain was referred to as Denali then by many other than natives. Even our pilot called the mountain Denali. Hooray for the 'new' old name!

Denali 1992.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Renaming a mountain to what was it's historical name given to it by the historical native inhabitants of the area and also is used by modern day Alaskans, is Obama being out of control?

I'm gonna say lay off the FOX news. You seem to be suffering from a condition known as ODS or Obama Derangement Syndrome.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Obama+Derangement+Syndrome
The acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the statements -- nay -- the very existence of Barack Obama.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The people of Alaska are almost unanimous in their support of this change, from what I understand.

Better this than changing the name of something of importance to Native Americans to a white/European name.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.