Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Kinda, yeah. I believe a LOT of people are lying about that.
How can you tell? I claim both Catholicism and agnosticism, so I'm curious. I wonder if I'm lying claiming one or the other.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How can you tell? I claim both Catholicism and agnosticism, so I'm curious. I wonder if I'm lying claiming one or the other.
By the fruits we know people. Christians don't deny their beliefs or God. We give lip service to our faith. That's not what a true Christian does. Just cause you say you are, doesn't mean you are.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
By the fruits we know people. Christians don't deny their beliefs or God. We give lip service to our faith. That's not what a true Christian does. Just cause you say you are, doesn't mean you are.
So I'm not then, I guess, but why isn't Obama? What makes him not a true Christian?

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So I'm not then, I guess, but why isn't Obama? What makes him not a true Christian?
why are you personalizing this? I find you honest and sincere. I don't find Obama to do nothing but give lip service and not even that. And his type of Christian is racist. Liberation theology is hardly Christian.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't have compassion without God?
Paul calls God "the Father of mercies and God of all comfort", in 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.

"But the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel" (in Proverbs 12:10)

But I apologize, my frustration in decades of seeking belief and not finding any is starting to grow, time to step away. Sorry for hijacking the tread, please return to the Obama bashing based on dubious sources.
Hi, Mountain Girl :) It is true how we can't get anywhere while we stay busy with bashing others . . . even if they are wrong. If we are in Christ we can have mercy and compassion which are real, for any and all people; this is part of what Biblical faith is all about > "faith working through love" (in Galatians 5:6).

If we are of Christian love, we have hope for any and all people; so we pray with hope for President Obama and Muslims and ones claiming to be Christian but who are first about bashing, instead of being about how God judges His own children "first" > 1 Peter 4:17. Part of our Biblical faith is how we understand that our Father judges us "first", like our Apostle Peter says He does.

So . . . getting on with the topic of our thread > if this world's people and their bashers are not going to do what is right . . . why would Christians be worried that worldly people take care of their own and do not take care of the Christians? If they are not God's people of true compassion, then their "tender mercies" are "cruel"; and I think we have seen how this can work, in a number of ways in how worldly people show "sympathy" but do not help people to get forgiveness, and they take possession of people, medically and socially, without helping them with what they really need.

Our Father is able to take care of us, even better than anyone here might expect :)

But, "of course", Romans 13:4 shows that a secular leader, even if not a Christian, "is God's minister to you for good". So, God is using our secular people for the good He sees fit; and He Himself is taking care of whoever are His children. And His Holy Spirit has us praying with hope for any and all people > 1 Timothy 2:1-4 > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7). So, this is included in the faith of Biblical Christianity, I would :)ffer.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The only problem with your theory, Bene, is that God doesn't put conditions on his compassion. God loves unconditionally (unlike the hateful preachers and governors). President Obama's vision is closer to God's vision because, like God, he is not seeking to exclude people on the basis of religion. He is seeing people fleeing oppression, not "Christians" or "Muslims" fleeing oppression.

I quoted the President's exact words--unlike the sources you posted that were deliberately inflammatory and misleading.

I know it must upset you to realize that the President's position is closer to God's than the hate-mongering preachers. I guess they just don't understand much about who God is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It has always astonished me how some Christians will claim that other people who say they are Christian are not truly Christian. I thought only God will be our judge and determine who is saved and who is not. I will not be so quick to make such a claim about another person's personal relationship with God, and find myself being judged by Him for being so arrogant and pious.
I never said that the hate mongering preachers didn't have a personal relationship with God, only that that relationship is riddled with faulty perceptions, misunderstandings, and poor communications interpretation.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I never said that the hate mongering preachers didn't have a personal relationship with God, only that that relationship is riddled with faulty perceptions, misunderstandings, and poor communications interpretation.

No, my previous response was not directed at you. I was writing in response to Mountain Girl, but felt my response was off topic, so I edited it and let her know we could talk about this issue further in private. I apologize if you thought my comment was about you. It was not about you or about anyone in this thread either. It was meant to be a general statement about Christians I have met in the past. This is an issue that has always bothered me, so I commented on it. But I decided to edit my response.

Upvote 0

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
No, my previous response was not directed at you. I was writing in response to Mountain Girl, but felt my response was off topic, so I edited it and let her know we could talk about this issue further in private. I apologize if you thought my comment was about you. It was not about you or about anyone in this thread either. It was meant to be a general statement about Christians I have met in the past. This is an issue that has always bothered me, so I commented on it. But I decided to edit my response.

When people say they are Christian, I only take it at face value when talking about certain individuals. The politician. The judge. The televangelist. And this skepticism has a lot to do with what they have sided with, what they have done in their private lives, and the glaring problem that connects them all: their greed. Perhaps they are in fact Christians who do believe in a Christ. Perhaps not. When thinking of such individuals, I wonder if Matthew 6:5-14 means anything to them.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What the President actually said was:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...ical-policy-syrian-refugees-article-1.2436464

And so, of course, the REAL bigots, the nominal Christians who don't understand the Gospel message of Jesus, are accusing President Obama of doing what THEY are doing in trying to bar Muslim refugees.
Syrian Muslims showing up at the border with Mexico are being welcomed, but Chaldean Christians fleeing the horror and brutality of the Islamic State are being incarcerated in a federal detention center outside of San Diego, and Yazidis are not even on the administration’s radar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When people say they are Christian, I only take it at face value when talking about certain individuals. The politician. The judge. The televangelist. And this skepticism has a lot to do with what they have sided with, what they have done in their private lives, and the glaring problem that connects them all: their greed. Perhaps they are in fact Christians who do believe in a Christ. Perhaps not. When thinking of such individuals, I wonder if Matthew 6:5-14 means anything to them.
He was actually talking about the Pharisees....
But the hirelings... well, that's another horse.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But surely that doesn't mean you think compassion is limited to Christians, but rather that the idea of compassion was put inside of us by our creator, right?
chalkboard-2.jpg

To make sense of this - we have to understand we are in His image.
He is love.
So all humanity is capable of compassion and loving... for all have the soul and spirit of God - for that is how we are animated through our spirit.
So we are all made of the love that is of God.

Now whether or not we love God - is the part we work on.

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
why are you personalizing this? I find you honest and sincere. I don't find Obama to do nothing but give lip service and not even that. And his type of Christian is racist. Liberation theology is hardly Christian.
By forum rules I suppose, we generally have to refrain from saying that people in the Aryan Church, or from Black Liberation theology churches, or even the KKK are not Christian, because Christian is what they profess to be.
Christian becomes a rather meaningless label, in that kind of context. The Christianity of racist churches like the Aryan Church or Black Liberation Theology have nothing to do with me. I have more in common with Buddhists and even atheists.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What does it mean to be a Christian? Believing in God, believing in Jesus, the Resurrection, the Immaculate Conception? Do you also have to hold correct views on moral, ethical and political issues? Where does action fit in?

Upvote 0