Farmington
✟23,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
To paraphrase something Thomas Watson wrote in the 1600s about politicians, I apply now to churches: "The modern churches are made of willow, and can bend, and side with all parties. Their religion is cut according to the fashion of the times; they can bow either to the east or the west, above, or below. Zeal for truth is blotted out of their creed. Their leaders are latidudarians, tolerant of many variations in theological opinion and doctrine, and can digest things which others tremble at."

As my own pastor just preached yesterday, "You create a god to fit your own lifestyle," rather than to conform your life to God's will and commandments. Christ calls us to deny our appetites and carnal policy, our will, and our own righteousness, and our own aims, our inordinate passions, and sinful fashions, and yes: even our own relations at times:

This is directly from Thomas Watsons "The Duty of Self Denial"

"Ease slays the simple (Pro 1:32). The flesh is full of sloth and effeminacy; ’tis loath to take pains for heaven. “A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom” (Pro 19:24). He is loath to pluck it out though it is to lay hold on a crown. Weeds and vermin grow in untilled ground; and all vices grow in an idle, untilled heart. How can they expect to reap a harvest of glory who never sowed any seed? Is Satan so busy in his diocese (1Pe 5:8), and are Christians idle? Are they like the lilies which “toil not, neither do they spin” (Mat 6:28)? Oh, deny your ease! Seneca, a heathen, devoted himself to labor and spent part of the night in study. Hannibal forced his way over the Alps and craggy rocks. We must force our way to Paradise (Mat 11:12). Let us shake off sloth as Paul did the viper (Act 28:3-5).

Never think to be brought to heaven as the passengers in a ship are brought to their ports sleeping. “Arise…and be doing” (1Ch 22:16). God puts no difference between the slothful servant and the wicked (Mat 25:26). Those people in Eturia, who like drones entered into the hive and consumed the honey, were expelled from others and condemned to exile. Such as idle away the day of grace and fold their hands to sleep, when they should be working out salvation (Phi 2:12), God will condemn to a perpetual exile in hell
."

I have found this so true in society, among those who profess to know God, but in works deny Him: in Churches with lackadaisical meanderings: ho-hum, you know, let's just get to church, hear the sermon, get fat on the knowledge of God, and go home and eat, have a little down time, play with the kids, and off to work till the next service. Well, SERVICE should be 24/7. Not just the church service.

O, where is that holy Zeale to be stirred up? Where is that fire that burns away the dross? Where is the fire that is hot enough to do it! I'm not talking about getting into a worship service and jumping around, feeling the Holy Ghost, IF it's the Holy Ghost - cuz sometimes it's just emotion and I recall being just as excited as rock concerts, but that wasn't the Spirit! I'm talking on fire so you're glowing, and excited about the LORD, and excited about salvation, and able to share that with others. Amen

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To paraphrase something Thomas Watson wrote in the 1600s about politicians, I apply now to churches: "The modern churches are made of willow, and can bend, and side with all parties. Their religion is cut according to the fashion of the times; they can bow either to the east or the west, above, or below. Zeal for truth is blotted out of their creed. Their leaders are latidudarians, tolerant of many variations in theological opinion and doctrine, and can digest things which others tremble at."

As my own pastor just preached yesterday, "You create a god to fit your own lifestyle," rather than to conform your life to God's will and commandments. Christ calls us to deny our appetites and carnal policy, our will, and our own righteousness, and our own aims, our inordinate passions, and sinful fashions, and yes: even our own relations at times:

This is directly from Thomas Watsons "The Duty of Self Denial"

"Ease slays the simple (Pro 1:32). The flesh is full of sloth and effeminacy; ’tis loath to take pains for heaven. “A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom” (Pro 19:24). He is loath to pluck it out though it is to lay hold on a crown. Weeds and vermin grow in untilled ground; and all vices grow in an idle, untilled heart. How can they expect to reap a harvest of glory who never sowed any seed? Is Satan so busy in his diocese (1Pe 5:8), and are Christians idle? Are they like the lilies which “toil not, neither do they spin” (Mat 6:28)? Oh, deny your ease! Seneca, a heathen, devoted himself to labor and spent part of the night in study. Hannibal forced his way over the Alps and craggy rocks. We must force our way to Paradise (Mat 11:12). Let us shake off sloth as Paul did the viper (Act 28:3-5).

Never think to be brought to heaven as the passengers in a ship are brought to their ports sleeping. “Arise…and be doing” (1Ch 22:16). God puts no difference between the slothful servant and the wicked (Mat 25:26). Those people in Eturia, who like drones entered into the hive and consumed the honey, were expelled from others and condemned to exile. Such as idle away the day of grace and fold their hands to sleep, when they should be working out salvation (Phi 2:12), God will condemn to a perpetual exile in hell
."

I have found this so true in society, among those who profess to know God, but in works deny Him: in Churches with lackadaisical meanderings: ho-hum, you know, let's just get to church, hear the sermon, get fat on the knowledge of God, and go home and eat, have a little down time, play with the kids, and off to work till the next service. Well, SERVICE should be 24/7. Not just the church service.

O, where is that holy Zeale to be stirred up? Where is that fire that burns away the dross? Where is the fire that is hot enough to do it! I'm not talking about getting into a worship service and jumping around, feeling the Holy Ghost, IF it's the Holy Ghost - cuz sometimes it's just emotion and I recall being just as excited as rock concerts, but that wasn't the Spirit! I'm talking on fire so you're glowing, and excited about the LORD, and excited about salvation, and able to share that with others. Amen
This is good, and right on target, as far as I can tell from what you have shared here. There is a lot of truth here with regard to where many professers of faith in Jesus Christ are living today and where the church is, in general. Sadly, this is the case. We are in great need of revival.

Upvote 0