Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It appears that SDA disagree with the rest of Christianity about life after death. Unbelievers experience spiritual death (separation from God) in this life and eternal death in the next, but they never cease to exist.

Only going with what the bible says. Trust me if it said that once we died we went straight to heaven, i'd be in prayer daily to be taken from this world. The thing is that God said from dust we came and to dust we shall return.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Death in the spiritual context is eternal punishment, sometimes referred to as eternal destruction (2 Thes 1:9).

Jesus' story of the Sheep and Goats is pretty clear that there are only 2 paths, with the sheep to "eternal life" and the goats to "eternal punishment." No other options.
Matthew 25:31-46 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Totally agree. One group will enter into eternal life. Not two. Eternal Punishment is eternal death. No chance of a resurrection. Being blotted from existence, that is the finality of the second death.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Remember that whole "everlasting life" idea? The Resurrection in which Christ conquered death?

Ya know, this:

resurrectionA.jpg

Is the whole Incarnation for nothing if the soul dissolves into nothing and simply disappears upon bodily death? Sounds a bit Atheistic to me with the whole "there is nothing" line of thinking. If the soul has no life after death, than truly there is no point of man's very existence, no point to God becoming Man, no point for Christ's being on this earth, no point for the Resurrection and certainly no point for us to rejoice and praise God.

If the soul disappears and dissolves into nothingness after the body dies, than that would imply that God is subject to time. How could that be; an Almighty, All-powerful, Omnipresent and Omniscient God be subject to such a thing as 'time'? The very notion is preposterous at best.

If the soul does not live on after the body dies, than that means there is no "Resurrection of the dead", there is no eternal life and that there is no God.

When Christ was incarnated He was totally man. This is why He was able to die for us. He placed aside His divinity and clothed Himself in humanity. At that point He became subject to everything that we ourselves are subject too. Remember that He said that He did nothing of Himself, but that which His Father had Him to do. Christ said that He had power to lay down His life and power to pick it back up.

The bible says that God combined not a soul with the body of man, but the breath of life; than man became a living soul. We weren't given souls we became souls.

Our lives don't continue after death, or else that wouldn't be death. Our lives, once hidden in Christ, become His property. He is able to give us life, allow us to sleep in death, than return us to life. That is the power that He has.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When Christ was incarnated He was totally man. This is why He was able to die for us. He placed aside His divinity and clothed Himself in humanity. At that point He became subject to everything that we ourselves are subject too. Remember that He said that He did nothing of Himself, but that which His Father had Him to do. Christ said that He had power to lay down His life and power to pick it back up.
So, now He was at some time not God? Or He was just God but in the illusion of a Man?

The bible says that God combined not a soul with the body of man, but the breath of life; than man became a living soul. We weren't given souls we became souls.

Our lives don't continue after death, or else that wouldn't be death. Our lives, once hidden in Christ, become His property. He is able to give us life, allow us to sleep in death, than return us to life. That is the power that He has.
Life continues after death. To say otherwise is to say that there is no eternal life.

If life does not continue after the body dies, than what does "eternal life" mean?

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

These are not orthodox Christian teachings.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So, now He was at some time not God? Or He was just God but in the illusion of a Man?
Nope, He was fully God, but also fully man. It's one of those things that I don't think any of us will fully understand, and that we will continue to study throughout eternity.

Life continues after death. To say otherwise is to say that there is no eternal life.
No life stops at death. That is what makes it death. If it was still life than it wouldn't be called death.

If life does not continue after the body dies, than what does "eternal life" mean?
Have any of us eternal life now? Will any of us die after receiving eternal life? Eternal life is exactly that, but it will not be given to us until Christ returns. He says that He is coming quickly and His reward is with Him. Some will be resurrected to eternal life while others to eternal condemnation. If you kept living after you died than how could the dead be resurrected to eternal life. The statement indicates that they will be given it, for the first time, not retruned to it.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

These are not orthodox Christian teachings.

Forgive me...

John 1:14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Hebrews 10:5Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

Genesis 2:7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Forgive me but I'm not sure what Orthodoxy Christianity teaches, but the bible is clear about the incarnation and the creation of man. Christ became flesh and lived the life that we should have lived, and that Adam failed to live. And we became souls after the breath of life entered into our nostrils.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nope, He was fully God, but also fully man. It's one of those things that I don't think any of us will fully understand, and that we will continue to study throughout eternity.

Glad to hear you say this... that truely is orthodox Christian teaching.

No life stops at death. That is what makes it death. If it was still life than it wouldn't be called death.

Read Romans 6

Have any of us eternal life now? Will any of us die after receiving eternal life? Eternal life is exactly that, but it will not be given to us until Christ returns. He says that He is coming quickly and His reward is with Him. Some will be resurrected to eternal life while others to eternal condemnation. If you kept living after you died than how could the dead be resurrected to eternal life. The statement indicates that they will be given it, for the first time, not retruned to it.

We die a physical death. True. But the soul (nous), our intellect is eternal.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jhn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Jhn 8:51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

Jhn 8:52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.