Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing ends in the Eternal realm.

That's what eternal means.

According to Eastern Christianity and the Orthodox Churches, Heaven and Hell are one and the same "place"...

That is to say that Heaven and Hell are our experience of standing in front of the one almighty God in judgement. We will endure eternally based on how we are recieved into eternity.

We will stand in front of that pilar of fire which is God being what we have made of ourselves. Time has no meaning there.

What is it that make some people believe that "eternal" can have a meaning that includes a final death for those who are in hell.

We should be afraid of Hell. For the very reason that it is eternal.

It's not vengence. It's our choice. Turn toward God and be saved. Turn away and experience Hell.

We must train our souls in this life to face God and worship like all the Christians do.

"O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God. Have mercy on me a sinner.":bow:

Forgive me...

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Brings St. John of the Ladder to mind.

ladder.jpg

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So are those black demons pulling people off the ladder? And what is that in the lower right? Is there a bigger version of this?
I believe the lower right is 'the pit', so to say.

Yes, the demons are pulling people off of the ladder. If I remember correctly, they represent the passions. Or just what they are: demons.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

According to Eastern Christianity and the Orthodox Churches, Heaven and Hell are one and the same "place"...

That is to say that Heaven and Hell are our experience of standing in front of the one almighty God in judgement. We will endure eternally based on how we are recieved into eternity.

We will stand in front of that pilar of fire which is God being what we have made of ourselves. Time has no meaning there.

What is it that make some people believe that "eternal" can have a meaning that includes a final death for those who are in hell.

It's not vengence. It's our choice. Turn toward God and be saved. Turn away and experience Hell.

We must train our souls in this life to face God and worship like all the Christians do.

Forgive me...

Dang Bro. Maybe I'm turning a bit EO cause I agree with your post.;):D

I see in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man where they could actually see each other so even if Heaven and hell are different places they are still awfully close.

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe the lower right is 'the pit', so to say.

Yes, the demons are pulling people off of the ladder. If I remember correctly, they represent the passions. Or just what they are: demons.
It looks like a circus tent, which is why I'd like to see a bigger version. Cool pic though.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Forgive me...

Where does the bible state that hell is eternal (for hell to be eternal that means that it would have had to exist before there were even sinners to put in it) or that sinners in hell shall last for all eternity?

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where does the bible state that hell is eternal (for hell to be eternal that means that it would have had to exist before there were even sinners to put in it) or that sinners in hell shall last for all eternity?
Jesus said in Matthew 25:46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,918.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

That's consistent with modern physics too. Time and space are not really separate but are woven together as the "fabric" of spacetime. So if eternity is the absence of time, then it's also the absence of place. There won't be any "place" apart from God for the unrepentant to go.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's consistent with modern physics too. Time and space are not really separate but are woven together as the "fabric" of spacetime. So if eternity is the absence of time, then it's also the absence of place. There won't be any "place" apart from God for the unrepentant to go.

:clap:

By jove I think he's got it!

Forgive me...

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

BIBLE TIMES

Jun 1, 2009
California
✟821.00
Faith
Charismatic
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am one of those people who is comfortale with his reservations.:)

1 Peter 1:4-5

4to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
5who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said in Matthew 25:46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Eternal punishment not punishing. The result is eternal. On this side of eternity death isn't final, on the other side it will be.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Eternal punishment not punishing. The result is eternal. On this side of eternity death isn't final, on the other side it will be.
Second death (after physical death) is eternal.

Revelation 20:14
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Second death (after physical death) is eternal.

Revelation 20:14
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

Agreed. The second Death is eternal. But one can't be dead if they are still alive burning in hell.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, if they can feel while dead, that's eternal.
Which is where the problem comes in. The dead know nothing. You can't feel anything when you're dead, or you wouldn't be dead. The bible says that the wicked will be turned to ashes, they will be burned up, that the memory of them will no longer come to our minds.

Sin is to be done away with, but this isn't possible if sinners are still alive somewhere burning throughout eternity. Eternal life is only promised to the children of God. Eternal life in hell would still be eternal life, and this is not promised to the wicked.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Which is where the problem comes in. The dead know nothing. You can't feel anything when you're dead, or you wouldn't be dead. The bible says that the wicked will be turned to ashes, they will be burned up, that the memory of them will no longer come to our minds.

Sin is to be done away with, but this isn't possible if sinners are still alive somewhere burning throughout eternity. Eternal life is only promised to the children of God. Eternal life in hell would still be eternal life, and this is not promised to the wicked.

Can you explain Jesus' story of the Rich Man and Lazarus in Luke 16:22-28?
The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.' 25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.' 27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status