Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought Charles Krauthammer mentions another troubling point with Obama's decision. On a whim, the President has declared that a private firm must provide "free" contraception and abortion services to the public. It begs the question, what's next? Should GM begin giving away free cars?

"ObamaCare's Overreach Is A Challenge To The Constitution"

The Opposition Party Has Failed To Make An Opposition Argument Against ObamaCare - Investors.com

snippet:
It is "to the public" but to the people covered by its policies?

Should GM provide free seatbelts and airbags the customers who buy its cars? I'm pretty sure they already do. Even used car dealers provide mandated working brakes as part of the package.

Upvote 0

SentWest

Habitual Lurker
Oct 16, 2010
✟15,352.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Tell that to all the men who lost paternity suits

My sarcasm didn't come through correctly.

I'm saying that men have as much interest in contraception as women do, and to make the claim that they do not or should not is rather sexist.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Women have the right to equal treatment under the law. This has nothing to do with religious freedom - the RCC doesn't have to pay for the portion of the insurance that bothers its conscience and no one is forcing Catholics to use contraceptives.

They're forced to pay for insurance which now, under Dear Leader's iron fist, MUST provide it. Also, they're not treating women different. I don't see the RCC jumping to hand out condoms.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They're forced to pay for insurance which now, under Dear Leader's iron fist, MUST provide it.
They are not forced to pay for insurance; they could choose to pay the penalty instead.

Also, they're not treating women different.
If they provide preventive care and prescription drugs, they can not refuse to provide prescription contraceptives to women. This was decided in 2000 based on the Civil Rights Act, Title VII, of 1964.

I don't see the RCC jumping to hand out condoms.
Perhaps they should as prevention of STDs, but condoms are OTC, not prescription. Most insurance companies don't pay for anything OTC.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
What I find most troubling about this thread is that there seems to be an underlying assumption that women cannot "access" contraception without that access being provided to them by some paternalistic entity.

So if the Catholic groups' insurance plans do not cover contraception, then women on such plans are now helpless waifs who've suddenly lost the ability to drive to the gas station and buy condoms? Being on the Catholic insurance plan creates a force field around women such that they cannot enter a non-Catholic women's clinic?

Seriously, give women some more credit.

Personally, I haven't had "access" to contraception provided to me for 12 years, and somehow I still manage to access it. Amazing!

That's progs for you. They see the general population as needing to be shepherd and controlled by their superiors.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So what form of contraceptives do Catholic Organizations provide to men through their insurance plans? If you can't produce that information, you have no case for discrimination.

Vasectomies.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
They are not forced to pay for insurance; they could choose to pay the penalty instead.

If they provide preventive care and prescription drugs, they can not refuse to provide prescription contraceptives to women. This was decided in 2000 based on the Civil Rights Act, Title VII, of 1964.

Perhaps they should as prevention of STDs, but condoms are OTC, not prescription. Most insurance companies don't pay for anything OTC.

Oh, they just have to pay a fine or tax to be allowed to follow their faith. Neverheard of that before. And no, I don't think Obama is a Muslim, just sounds like what they used to do in some countries.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Jehovah Witnesses and Blood Transfusions

Based on various biblical texts, such as Genesis 9:4, Leviticus 17:10, and Acts 15:29, they believe:

- Blood represents life and is sacred to God. It is reserved for only one special use, the atonement for sins. When a Christian abstains from blood, they are in effect expressing faith that only the shed blood of Jesus Christ can truly redeem them and save their life.

- Blood must not be eaten or transfused, even in the case of a medical emergency.

- Blood leaving the body of a human or animal must be disposed of, except for autologous blood transfusions considered part of a “current therapy”.

A baptized Witness who unrepentantly accepts a blood transfusion is deemed to have disassociated himself from the religion by abandoning its doctrines and is subsequently subject to organized shunning by other members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses_and_blood_transfusions
Instead of contraceptives, are the employees of an institution administered by the Jehovah Witnesses expected to forgo medical coverage from their employer that would include blood transfusions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's progs for you. They see the general population as needing to be shepherd and controlled by their superiors.
Like I said, Obamacare is not about health care, it's about control of the people.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Instead of contraceptives, are the employees of an institution administered by the Jehovah Witnesses expected to forgo medical coverage from their employer that would include blood transfusions?
You should ask them

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You seriously think that male employees of Catholic Organizations can get vasectomies covered by the insurance?

Most insurance companies do, I know mine did. I'm not finding anything on the internet that says the religious groups don't provide it. It's far cheaper than a pregnancy to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most insurance companies do, I know mine did. I'm not finding anything on the internet that says the religious groups don't provide it. It's far cheaper than a pregnancy to them.
I guess that means you didn't find anything that says Catholic organizations (not religious groups) do cover vasectomies. :wave:

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm saying I can't find information one way or another.
Wow, this didn't take long

"Vasectomies, on the other hand, are banned by Catholic-sponsored health insurance. "We have the same objection to male sterilization as to the female variety," Doerflinger says."

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wow, this didn't take long

"Vasectomies, on the other hand, are banned by Catholic-sponsored health insurance. "We have the same objection to male sterilization as to the female variety," Doerflinger says."

Alright. Then I disagree with this too. Let's get an all-women panel together to talk about it.

Upvote 0