Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And where were they featured in the article in the OP?
Irrelevant since the link I offered disputes any false allegation that this is an issue that only has men on the side f the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has everything to do with giving women access to health care that is pertinent to them and nothing to do with religious freedom except as a bludgeon to whack Obama with.
The Catholic Church's position does not to take away a woman's access to any health care

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church's position does not to take away a woman's access to any health care
By opposing women's access to contraception through their insurance they are discriminating against women's getting equal access to standard preventative care and prescription drugs if they allow preventative care and prescription drugs to men. They do not have to pay for that since the insurance companies have already agreed to pick up the tab for that.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Irrelevant since the link I offered disputes any false allegation that this is an issue that only has men on the side f the Catholic Church.
The allegation is that, "Every single one of the people in this article is male. Why are a group of people this medicine isn't even used by given so much more of a voice?" Providing a link to an entirely different site does not dispute this allegation in any meaningful way since none of the women were heard in the article in the OP.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By opposing women's access to contraception through their insurance they are discriminating against women's getting equal access to standard preventative care and prescription drugs if they allow preventative care and prescription drugs to men. They do not have to pay for that since the insurance companies have already agreed to pick up the tab for that.
So what form of contraceptives do Catholic Organizations provide to men through their insurance plans? If you can't produce that information, you have no case for discrimination.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The allegation is that, "Every single one of the people in this article is male. Why are a group of people this medicine isn't even used by given so much more of a voice?" Providing a link to an entirely different site does not dispute this allegation in any meaningful way since none of the women were heard in the article in the OP.
You forgot this part of the allegation:

"Why are a group of people this medicine isn't even used by given so much more of a voice?"

My link demonstrates that people who do use the medication are given a voice as well. It's not a men against women issue as some would like to falsely have us believe. It's an issue of religious freedom.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It has everything to do with giving women access to health care that is pertinent to them and nothing to do with religious freedom except as a bludgeon to whack Obama with.

They have access now, and they still will if those of us supporting religious freedom get our way. It has nothing to do with women's health except as a political tool to defend your guy.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You throw that word around quite a bit. I am not sure you understand the meaning considering you have already used it incorrectly just a few posts back.

lie/lī/
Verb:Tell a lie or lies.
Noun:An intentionally false statement.

So am I to assume by your repeated denials that you are simply very ignorant to the facts and so are not intentionally making false statements? Well, at least you can admit your mistake and I will thus apologize for accusing you of lying. It takes a big man to admit when he spoke out of ignorance. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SentWest

Habitual Lurker
Oct 16, 2010
✟15,352.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
By opposing women's access to contraception through their insurance they are discriminating against women's getting equal access to standard preventative care and prescription drugs if they allow preventative care and prescription drugs to men.

You are writing like there is some sort of right to subsidized contraception, which there is not.

Upvote 0

SentWest

Habitual Lurker
Oct 16, 2010
✟15,352.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
What I find most troubling about this thread is that there seems to be an underlying assumption that women cannot "access" contraception without that access being provided to them by some paternalistic entity.

So if the Catholic groups' insurance plans do not cover contraception, then women on such plans are now helpless waifs who've suddenly lost the ability to drive to the gas station and buy condoms? Being on the Catholic insurance plan creates a force field around women such that they cannot enter a non-Catholic women's clinic?

Seriously, give women some more credit.

Personally, I haven't had "access" to contraception provided to me for 12 years, and somehow I still manage to access it. Amazing!

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others

:confused:

My eyes can't roll enough. From the article:

"“Never in the history of the U.S. has such an assault on religious freedom been seen,” said Rev. Gonzales. ”[The mandate is] forcing the church to take a position where they’re going to violate their most fundamental beliefs with regards to the sanctity of human life.”

...less of course those 28 states who already have that mandate in effect....and NOT ONE peep from these same religious organizations.

It appears once again it's only when Obama does it, it becomes a political issue.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are writing like there is some sort of right to subsidized contraception, which there is not.
You are correct. If other preventative treatments and prescription drugs are not being subsidized by insurance, the contraception need not be either. However, if other preventive treatments and other prescription drugs are being subsidized, then women's health care and contraceptives must be as well. This was decided based on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII - more than a decade ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They have access now, and they still will if those of us supporting religious freedom get our way. It has nothing to do with women's health except as a political tool to defend your guy.
Women have the right to equal treatment under the law. This has nothing to do with religious freedom - the RCC doesn't have to pay for the portion of the insurance that bothers its conscience and no one is forcing Catholics to use contraceptives.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I find most troubling about this thread is that there seems to be an underlying assumption that women cannot "access" contraception without that access being provided to them by some paternalistic entity.
This is the major health care expense for most women of child-bearing age. If other employees are given access to health care, so should the women employees, without discrimination.

So if the Catholic groups' insurance plans do not cover contraception, then women on such plans are now helpless waifs who've suddenly lost the ability to drive to the gas station and buy condoms?
Women often are helpless to make their husbands or boyfriends wear condoms each and every time. Not every marriage and relationship is a good one, even Catholic ones. What you are arguing is that the woman be dependent on the goodwill and good acts of the man in her life instead of being in control her own sexuality.

The RCC and many evangelic churches would have women cede their sexuality to their husbands and they can require it of their members, but not of their secular employees.

Upvote 0
D

Dairy

I thought Charles Krauthammer mentions another troubling point with Obama's decision. On a whim, the President has declared that a private firm must provide "free" contraception and abortion services to the public. It begs the question, what's next? Should GM begin giving away free cars?

"ObamaCare's Overreach Is A Challenge To The Constitution"

The Opposition Party Has Failed To Make An Opposition Argument Against ObamaCare - Investors.com

snippet:

..A brilliant sleight of hand. But let's for a moment accept the president on his own terms. Let's accept his contention that this "accommodation" is a real shift of responsibility to the insurer. Has anyone considered the import of this new mandate?

The president has just ordered private companies to give away for free a service that his own health and human services secretary has repeatedly called a major financial burden.

On what authority? Where does it say that the president can unilaterally order a private company to provide an allegedly free-standing service at no cost to certain select beneficiaries?

This is government by presidential fiat. In Venezuela, that's done all the time. Perhaps we should we call Obama's "accommodation" Presidential Decree No. 1.

Consider the constitutional wreckage left by ObamaCare, beginning with its assault on the free exercise of religion. Only churches themselves are left alone. Beyond the churchyard gate, religious autonomy disappears...

Upvote 0