Non-Christians: How do you feel about the change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
I am a Christian, but can not resist.

Erwin went against the vast majority of the members.. I believe it was 70% who voted against this.

Then he went out, and spent SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS on making changes... SEVEN THOUSAND!!!!!

I am appalled. I had donated maybe 10 or 20 dollars in the past, and my money went to changing a forum name to foru.ms and reordering all the forums and making a bunch of stupid changes? I mean my goodness.

And do you know what he could have done with that seven thousand dollars? He could have bought hundreds of Christmas gifts for children on Christmas, helped a Church or even 2 who need just a little extra money, it could have fed at LEAST 2 thousand people on Christmas, etc. But nooo... Instead, he spends it on this crap.

And no one likes it. And everyone wants it to change. But he just used $7,000... I doubt it will be changed.

I'm upset. I think he just personally thought that the domain name foru.ms would be a good domain name, and he wanted to take it. Then, he thought it would be ok to make changes and make it no longer a Christian forum.

It is sad!

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
If Erwin can stay rational despite the pressure, he will realize that those $7.000 are gone, and letting that keep him from changing it back is only increasing the loss.

Yup. But I just can not believe he spent $7,000 on such.. I just can not believe that someone has the audacity to spend that much money on changing a stupid site name and making some little changes here and there, when there are millions who are homeless, and poor, and who need our help.

Upvote 0

elijah115

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
✟19,029.00
Faith
Christian
I think I feel like someone who is christian but against fierce opposition to mention God, christ or christianity again. I searched for this forum specifically and unlike Francais I didn't give money but I thought about it. Instead I chose to give to causes I trusted more than an internet site.

Part of me wants to make it work, but I honestly fill like I've wasted my time with all the consultation he pretended to have. Those stupid polls we were asked to participate in.

I guess it's not the end of the world. The positive is that it is shorter to type than www.christianforums.com, although I would not have found or come to this forum if it had its current name.

Faith manages.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rhyddid_rose

Cymru am byth
Jan 24, 2005
somewhere sw of Cardiff Wales
Visit site
✟1,195.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Bore da. Sut mae?

I am a Christian, but can not resist.

Erwin went against the vast majority of the members.. I believe it was 70% who voted against this.

Then he went out, and spent SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS on making changes... SEVEN THOUSAND!!!!!

I am appalled. I had donated maybe 10 or 20 dollars in the past, and my money went to changing a forum name to foru.ms and reordering all the forums and making a bunch of stupid changes? I mean my goodness.

And do you know what he could have done with that seven thousand dollars? He could have bought hundreds of Christmas gifts for children on Christmas, helped a Church or even 2 who need just a little extra money, it could have fed at LEAST 2 thousand people on Christmas, etc. But nooo... Instead, he spends it on this crap.

And no one likes it. And everyone wants it to change. But he just used $7,000... I doubt it will be changed.

I'm upset. I think he just personally thought that the domain name foru.ms would be a good domain name, and he wanted to take it. Then, he thought it would be ok to make changes and make it no longer a Christian forum.

It is sad!

This is the first I've heard about changing the domain. I admit I haven't been visiting regularly-took a few months off and recently came back.

The new domain name looks stupid, foru.ms? What is that? £3515 !!!! and for what?

Did Erwin give a reason for this change? I dont think most of the Christians, hey, most of ANY of us would like this.

This is bloody strange...........

Hail the Aesir; Hail the Vanir

Babochka

Upvote 0

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I can't say as I blame them.. Most of them came here for Christian fellowship and discussion. They feel as if that has changed, that the direction the site is going in will no longer provide that as it did.
If thats the truth, or if things will be pretty much the same, I do not know.

Reactions: Lisa0315
Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For those of you who are speaking up on behalf of us Christians, I, Thank You from the bottom of my heart. It is hurtful to us that the name of Christ has been removed from this forum. I really appreciate your reactions to this. :hug:

Lisa

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Old CF: Non-Christians are calling for CF to drop its title, because there is nothing Christ-like about the way that we were treated.

New CF: The people who tried - often successfully - to silence us are calling for CF to drop its title because Jesus is not an inclusive savior.

Now: CF is now Foru.ms (which I believe is pronounced "For you! Mess"), and people are up in arms. I feel for them, and I'm sorry that people are hurting. However, to me, ChristianForums has never been anything more than a title. Ever. But while I myself am indifferent, it's never nice to see others this upset.

Upvote 0

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I feel bad for the Christians who have been supporting this site only to have it radically transformed into something they don't approve of.

By biggest beef would have to be the fact that the name is horrible, though. Foru.ms? It makes me cringe.

Agreed, it's hideous. "For you! Mess."

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
It's disappointing. I don't come here for general fellowship. I come here to argue with Christians (sometimes friendly, sometimes not, but I'm being honest, that is why I come here). If this isn't a Christian site, then I am less interested in participating.

More importantly, it's a disappointment to me bcause I honestly thought we were going to see something from the Christian end of the spectrum here. I've been around this forum long enough to know the ins and outs of some of its politics, and I've seen a lot of people hurt by the old rules. Folks suddenly denied their faith icon (then told it wasn't a judgement about their faith), folks questioned about their marriages, etc, deceitful bannings, deliberately biased moderation, baiting by mods, etc. That stuff didn't happen every day and most of the mods made an honest effort, but it happened often enough to cause some real tears. The bottom line is that the old CF, specifically the secrecy and the division of members into discrete categories of participation is what set the stage for that). I was happy to see it go in the latest reforms, not the least of reasons being that I thought we were going to see a Christian website that DIDN'T rely on coercive authority or serve primarily as a system for status politics. What I thought we might get to see here was the best in Christianity.

And we did see that, we saw it in dozens of moderators and admins that quietly went about trying to make the system work. Some didn't even like the reforms, but they gave it a shot. Yes, there were lots of other people angry and spiteful about losing the leverage they had over the rest of us. But at least some were showing they could make their faith work without being propped up by a host of rules and weapons to use against the unfaithful.

There were others who talked about letting the wolves into the rest of the forum, compared us non-Christians to pedophiles and said we were doing the Devil's work, that our mere presence in other forums would harm young Christians, etc. They pushed to have the term "Christian" taken off the site. They played up every flaw in the new system and turned everything into a constant referendum on the reforms and the Christian status of the site. In effect, they insisted that it just isn't a Christian forum without all the baggage that came with it before. They put status politics above everything else and denied the possibility that was the initial round of reforms. And it looks to me an aweful lot like they won.

To me, it's a bit like finding out your opponent isn't worthy after all, like the respect I thought I had for Christianity is misplaced. It's as though a website can't be Christian unless it really is petty and mean-spirited.

That's a shame. I would rather have seen what Christians could do without all that junk.

Reactions: Ramona
Upvote 0

philthemuslim

Aug 17, 2007
✟7,655.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I can't imagine another forum where something like this would happen. No Muslim forum would ever suddenly become a debating forum with a bit of Islam tacked on (even the non nutty sites).

The reason I came to this forum is because it has a rep as the biggest Christian site on the web.

The day after I come here it's barely a Christian site at all.

I am dead set against this change. Let's Jihad for Christianity.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.