Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see that you didnt adress the rest of my post? Why?
You said:
Most people who are christians have no problem with physical reality (science) so my guess is that the "biblical pov" for most christians isnt what you belive.
Since when do I have a problem with physical reality (science)?

In fact, I have a set of Boolean standards that take science to a height you'll never attain in your unregenerate state.

Upvote 0

In situ

in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟15,712.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Boolean standards and all.

You said "the link" is to be identified as a false positive. There is problem with this.

The so called "link" is observed "unique inherent characteristics", in other words fact. The unique inherent characteristics is what forms a nested set. Now the point is this; a branching process can created a nested set AND is the only process we know about that can produce a nested set. The second point is, if a nested set is created by a branching process then the nested set implies a hierarchy based on kinship.

Therefore whenever a branching process is connected to a nested set then unique inherent characteristics implies a common ancestor. And we can do that in the case of life - namely the well established parent-child relation.

Knowing this, we do not have to observer every single birth to know if there is a kinship or not. If we know kinship implies a nested set determined by unique inherent characteristics then we can do the reverse: we can determine kinship by the unique inherent characteristics. Therefore if we observe two individuals sharing unique inherent characteristics them we know as a fact they are related via kinship!

The question is, how is anything of this "on paper" only?

In my opinion, the "link" is justified by factual observations and evidence, it is not just something imagined, as you claim it to be. The "link" is a real thing - it is an observed fact!

Yet you claim claim to know something that we other does not know, when you claim the nested set is a false positive, and I am trying to find out what that is, or what you mean with that, and so far you have not been very helpful to even hint what it is. So I will need to start to guess for you then.

Do you with "a false positive" mean:

a) life can come to exists by other means than parent-child relations, or
b) the observed "unique inherent characteristics" are somehow erroneous

or do you mean something else?

[Notice, only claiming a) still leads, based on the observations, to the conclusion that all life shares a common ancestor].

Last edited:
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most christians do not share your view on the matter.
You might want to check with them on that, chief.

I think you'll find that they think ... as do I ... that science and the Bible have no disagreements.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I think you'll find that they think ... as do I ... that science and the Bible have no disagreements.

Are you really saying that your views on science and the bible are mainstream christianity?

Of course most christians dont think they are in disagreement as most christians dont view the bible as a science or history book.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now the point is this; a branching process can created a nested set AND is the only process we know about that can produce a nested set.
And as [the late]Mr. Henry M Morris puts it in his Defender's Study Bible, evolution is an ongoing process, while creation was a completed act.

So what you're calling a process is not a process at all ... and never was.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you really saying that your views on science and the bible are mainstream christianity?
No, I'm not.

I'm disagreeing with the idea that most Christians don't share my idea that creationism and the Bible are at odds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We know this is your opinion, but why is it your opinion?
Becase we need something solid to hold on to, lest we become a victim of ever-changing paradigms.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm not.

I'm disagreeing with the idea that most Christians don't share my idea that creationism and the Bible are at odds.

If you by cerationism mean YEC (your own variant included), then yeah, most christians disagree.

Upvote 0

In situ

in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟15,712.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

The scientific validity of the bible is irrelevant for the claim of yours.

The disagreement with other Christians is about whether the nested set of life is a real observation or not. That is, if a mallard really is a bird or only looks like a bird. Most Christians would say that a mallard does not only lock like a bird but actually is a bird.

You on the other hand says the nested set is a false positive. Saying that implies you must not only deny a mallards is a bird, but also deny a mallard is a duck, even deny a mallard is a mallard. That is absurd, and cannot be true of what you believe.

This is why your claim makes no sense to anyone of us "evolutionists". And, surely, you must agree that most Christian does not believe this, not even yourself. You know this is nonsense, but wont admit it for some rational reason - and it is that rational reason I am trying to find. But you do not help me, not even hinting to me what it might be. As I said before, I do not regard you to be insane AV, on the contrary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you by cerationism mean YEC (your own variant included), then yeah, most christians disagree.
You're entitled to your opinion.

As I suggested:

Ask them yourself, if you think they are at odds with Genesis 1.

Create a poll.

Do something.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... mallard ...
I am not ... will not ... no way ... in any way, shape or form ... going to let you swap the exampe I gave:

... for your own example ... just so you can claim I'm wrong.

If you want to do that, be my guest.

But don't expect me to agree.

And I've said all I care to say on this issue.

You can hardly type without saying something right, and I can hardly type without having to repeat myself.

Good day, sir.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're entitled to your opinion.

As I suggested:

Ask them yourself, if you think they are at odds with Genesis 1.

Create a poll.

Do something.

Im not sure what you are propossing though, do you think the majority of christians agree with your interpretation of genesis 1?

Upvote 0