in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟15,712.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
A while ago AV has claimed the nested set of life (the classification of life) is a "false positive". This is a quite interesting claim. Perhaps AV can clarify what he means when he says the nested set of life is a "false positive"?

Does it mean:

not dogs.png

and
not a cats.png

and
nota duck.png

or
not a bird.png

or

not insects.png

or
not animals.png

?

I suspect AV really cant put a finger on where this "false positive" actually is expected to exists. I suspect the claims the nested set of life is a "false positive" actually is a modification of, or can be derived from, the claims that living things cannot evolve beyond their "kinds".

However, I fail to see how one can make such inference. It is a well established observational fact that life is a nested set since at least Carl Linnaeus established his classification of life. This facts is unrelated to the theory of evolution. However, Darwin's theory is base on this observational fact. In other words, it is because of the very special classification of life (the nested set) that the theory of evolution has its validity in the first place, in fact any validity at all.

However, this is something I know AV is aware of. So that cant be the reason, or? In any case, since the nested set of life is direct observational evidence for evolution I can understand why AV tries to deny, misrepresent or discredit it, but I fail to see his line of thoughts here. Can AV, or anyone, try to clarify what these false positives are supposed to be or exists?

I.e are dogs really dogs or do they just by coincident (which is what "false positive" means) look like dogs?

By observational facts dogs are dogs by inheritance. Just like dogs are mammals, vertebrates and animals by inheritance. Inheritance implies relatedness. Relatedness implies common ancestor.

If you claim the nested set of life (which is an observational proof of evolution - i.e. evolution is an observed fact) is a false positive then you also indirectly claims that dogs somehow not are dogs, mammals, vertebrates or animals by inheritance. Since you, AV, denies observational facts then it begs the question how you believe dogs become all these things if not by inheritance - do you believe dogs can be "created" or "Intelligent Designed" (which are keywords for "magically poffed into existence") and if so why would they share all these inherent characteristics with all other life? What is the purpose of sharing all these nested traits with other animals if it was not due to uniquely inherent traits and characteristics (i.e. evolution)? Is it a deliberate made deception by the "creator" to fool us to believe dogs has evolved from other mammalian forms, or what does all this mean?

In short, what are your evidence to support your claim with?

Or, isn't it the case that your "evidence" is the usual denial of evidence?

Last edited:

In situ

in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟15,712.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Oh and I forgot to ask, are these dinosaurs, or do they just look like (i.e. are they "false positive") dinosaurs:

anchiornis.jpg

Microraptor gui.png

Archaeopteryx.png

Paracoracias.png

Notes: the first animal is called Anchiornis huxleyi and is he first feathered fossil to have its life colors restored. Anchiornis is classified as a Troodontid. The second, Microraptor giu, is classified as a dromaeosaur and Archaeopteryx and Paracoracias are both classified as avialae.

And a reminder how they are related in the nested set of life:

the three groups.png

That means; only the last one, Paracoracias, is a bird (a kingfisher) the rest are dinosaurs with grabbing claws, tails and teeth... Evidently, many dinososaurs are easily confused with birds even though they clearly not are birds. In other words, birds have evolved (i.e. inherent unique traits and characteristics, such as hollow bones, feathers, fused fingers, wishbones, brooding etc) via a long series of slow, traceable, changes from one "kind" that clearly was not a bird "kind" into the present bird "kind".

Or do any creationist here want to insist they all are birds and birds only makes birds? Despite the fact that birds has no teeth, claws or tails and almost all dinosaurs had feathers, hollow bones, fused fingers, wishbones etc? If you do, I got some more dromaeosaur "birds" for everyone to consider - for instance Achillobator weighting in at 350kg (800 lbs), Austroraptor weighting in at 500kg (1100 lbs) and Utharaptor weighting in at 600kg (1300 lbs).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

In situ

in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟15,712.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
AV's argument boils down to . . .

"All of the evidence is exactly what we would expect to see if evolution were true, but that doesn't mean anything."

But at least he admits that is the case. And that is why I suspect he have not been bothered to comment yet - better pretend the evidence does not exists at all then. ;)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I suspect the claims the nested set of life is a "false positive" actually is a modification of, or can be derived from, the claims that living things cannot evolve beyond their "kinds".
You suspect correctly.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or do any creationist here want to insist they all are birds and birds only makes birds?
I will.

Birds are not dinosaurs.

If they were, how is it that Noah sent birds out of the Ark in Genesis 8, yet Job (Jobab of Genesis 10) describes dinosaurs?

Linnaeus has you guys messed up in how you interpret the Bible.

And in case of fact, I'm getting sick of the term "dinosaur," as it is misleading to the core.

It's probably something Satan came up with; and if Linnaeus coined it, then I rest my case.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
-snip-

-snip-

No, I cant speak for every atheist of course but I really dont interpret the bible at all. For me its just a book and I give it very little, if any, thought.

Reactions: poggytyke
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I cant speak for every atheist of course but I really dont interpret the bible at all. For me its just a book and I give it very little, if any, thought.
For some, that's a blessing.

I've seen some dooseys of interpretations by unbelievers and frankly, I wouldn't want them living next door to me and deciding to live by how they interpret the Bible.

Else I'd be shot in my backyard picking up sticks on Saturday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For some, that's a blessing.

I've seen some dooseys of interpretations by unbelievers and frankly, I wouldn't want them living next door to me and deciding to live by how they interpret the Bible.

Else I'd be shot in my backyard picking up sticks on Saturday.

I'm sure I'm falling into your trap somehow but.... if they were unbelievers why would they decide to live by any interpretation of the bible?

BTW, sounds painful being shot in the backyard. I suppose it's an easy target when you're bending over for those sticks.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure I'm falling into your trap somehow but.... if they were unbelievers why would they decide to live by any interpretation of the bible?
That's to our credit.

Imagine scientists out and about looking for witches, people working on the Sabbath, and/or committing acts of genocide.

Instead, they get on the Internet and wonder why we aren't doing it.

I've been called a hypocrite before for not doing those very things.

They won't do it themselves, but they'll sure prompt us to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

In situ

in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟15,712.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If they were, how is it that Noah sent birds out of the Ark in Genesis 8, yet Job (Jobab of Genesis 10) describes dinosaurs?

Give me a diagnostic of a bird that does not include a dinosaur - then I will agree with you. But until then.

If that is you diagnostic of a dinosaur, can you name a dinosaur that fits into that descriptions job gave? Can you name any other animal that fits into that description? I can... I Can name a lot, including a few fictional.

The point is, how do you know it is a dinosaur that Job describe? The answer; you do not. And you know this, yoiu know you are speculating. It is a speculation on you behalf, but even if it was a dinosaur, it does not exclude the observation fact that birds are nested within the dinosaurs.

Faith only have to include a believe that God exists - the rest follows by logic. However faith does not requite anyone to be illogical and to believe in that which is contrary to your own observations. You know this is true, because if God demamds you to believe that which is contray to facts then in effect God demands you to believe in lies. That make the god a liar. Do you know of some "god" called "the liar"?

I Don't see why you think Linnaeus is so important? I don't need Linnaeus to conclude that I do. Even if he never did what he did I would still observe the same things.

We are talking about observations now, independent verifiable observation. We are talkimg about inherent traits. Inherent traits are real and exists. They been observed for gods sake! If inherent traits are nested, then it implies kinship, because they are uniquely shared between the parent and the offspring. That is how we determine family relations. Ever heard any one say: "you look like N.N. are you related" before?

That is why I know birds are related to dinosaurs when I see this guy:

Sinornithosaurus.png

IT IS THE SAME KIND FOR GOD SAKE! CANT YOU SEE IT WITH OUR OWN EYES? ARE YOU BLIND?

This is an observation (the evidence you demand), not a "belief", because I can see it with my own eyes.

And in case of fact, I'm getting sick of the term "dinosaur," as it is misleading to the core.

It is just a name, so let call them X for now on. Then bird are nested with X. And if you like we can call birds Y. Then Y is nested with X. And then you can pretend that X or Y does not means what they mean and then you can pretend there is no link between bird and dinosaurs. Is that what you suggest to over come the misleading ?

It's probably something Satan came up with; and if Linnaeus coined it, then I rest my case.

Then we call them X (and birds Y).
Do you know of some "god" called "the liar"?

This is what your "god" says:

not insects.png

"This is not X, Y only looks like X!"

I am only trying to make you see the truth AV...not robbing you of your faith. God cant lie, so God will not make use believe in lies!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

In situ

in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟15,712.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
They're actually interpretations of fossils...

No, there are actually accurate representations of fossils with feathers, and a long row of other traits unique for birds only. Or do you want to say that fossils is interpretations of rocks as well? I mean how far are you willing to go before you admit it is evidence?

But if you do not accept this, then it is okay.

We discuss weather the nested set of life is a false positive or not. Not if birds are dinosaurs per se. If you think dinosaurs are bad examples (I only brought them up because they are so evident ) then I there are million of other examples you can find in present living beings. Which you cannot claim to be "interpretations" unless you are joking, ignorant, insane or in denial.

Last edited:
Upvote 0