Native American Exile: Illegal Immigration Laws toward Mexico harm American Indians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Were it not for the strawman argument you would have no argument at all. In order to effectively comment you would need to grasp the nuance of the point made. Liberals and progressives make the "good old days" comment in context of many issues, each time attaching the supposed nostalgia of Conservatives or Republicans to either slavery or segregation or both. The point TFY made was the same as is always made, an implication the philosophy of the right is inherently racist and manifested by a yearning for the glory days of white supremacy.
If one will share a falsehood, one can do better than you have done by actually giving evidence rather than arguing with a assumption you've yet to show with all things disagreeing with you being "Liberal" - as you are already at odds with several conservatives who've noted the same dynamic and other Republicans have pointed out the issue. Thus, it is a false scenario trying to act as if only the Left has said something when you already are at odds with what the Right has said about not trying to dress-up the past as being better than it was. You can't even show where he said he was speaking of Conservatives outside of ranting on it.

Obviously not.
As said again, comment was read - and as with others who've noted the same, you are responding to what was never said. Folks are not going to argue with you on something they didn't say
Your context is spread all over the place.
Context is no more "all over the place" than your logic is centered properly in place since you've argued at several points with ideas that you alone are pushed but no one was saying. Nothing new there...
The charge of racism is at the core of TFY's post and at the core of the central argument you have made in this thread.
Seeing that what happened to Native Americans and Blacks was based in racism - unless one wishes to argue that what occurred was not a symptom of racism - it is a moot point ranting over what TFY noted. What he said was that there are a lot of arguments based that both stereotype Blacks and Native Americans - a racial dynamic which is never healthy - and people, as TFY pointed out, need to stop acting as if all things in the past were good and others were always equal in their access. You already ignored TFY in what he said plainly on the issue when it came to the mass experience of Blacks and Native Americans as a WHOLE with racial injustice and hindering success in the world of economics. That was it.

Going on a rant about "Liberals say this!!!" is foolish since Conservatives have already noted the same when it comes to basics in history (even though many say that it was others like the Democrats or the Dixiecrat party as it used to be called that did a lot of damage) - but we already have conservatives noting the extensive history behind damage done to Blacks AND Native Americans in the harm they have experienced and how other organizations had to be made to protect them...

The charge of racism is at the core of TFY's post and at the core of the central argument you have made in this thread.
unoccupy-turtle-island1.jpg
It was already covered earlier - counter to the falsehood you tried here (as usual) - that racism was not the sole or dominant issue since things are done in ignorance.

Noting where land is occupied illegally and asking for fair representation is not the same as making a broad claim/charge of racism - and if you want to go there, you are going to have to do better than you have thus far.
Redac asked a question and you ignored it. What is this supposed to mean, unoccupy Turtle Island?.
Besides the fact that it is another falsehood since the question was addressed (in addition to reference on what HAS been said here in this thread from earlier on Native Americans who've advocated for the U.S./work for representation), it is foolish, as said before, when one has already noted that even on the site they have noted that dealing with racially based mindsets that did damage (from Manifest Destiny to saying Native Americans are "inferior"/need to be "helped" through being civilized in order to grow, stereotypes in the media with mascots/other products, etc.) are all an issue that deal with racism - that was already noted directly - in addition to SEVERAL OTHER organizations (including from White Americans, Conservative and Liberal) noting the way Native Americans are not represented and myths are said of them.

And as it concerns the focus of the site you brought up, as they said directly:

• All settlers do not benefit equally from the settler-colonial state, nor did all settlers emigrate here of their own free will. Specifically, we see slavery, hetero-patriarchy, white supremacy, market imperialism, and capitalist class structures as among the primary tools of colonization. These tools divide communities and determine peoples’ relative access to power. Therefore, anti-oppression solidarity between settler communities is necessary for decolonization. We work to build anti-colonial movements that actively combat all forms of oppression.

• We acknowledge that settlers are not entitled to live on this land. We accept that decolonization means the revitalization of indigenous sovereignty, and an end to settler domination of life, lands, and peoples in all territories of the so-called “Americas.” All decisions regarding human interaction with this land base, including who lives on it, are rightfully those of the indigenous nations.
    • As settlers and non-native people (by which we mean non-indigenous to this hemisphere) acting in solidarity, it is our responsibility to proactively challenge and dismantle colonialist thought and behavior in the communities we identify ourselves to be part of. As people within communities that maintain and benefit from colonization, we are intimately positioned to do this work.

• We understand that allies cannot be self-defined; they must be claimed by the people they seek to ally with. We organize our solidarity efforts around direct communication, responsiveness, and accountability to indigenous people fighting for decolonization and liberation.

• We are committed to dismantling all systems of oppression, whether they are found in institutional power structures, interpersonal relationships, or within ourselves. Individually and as a collective, we work compassionately to support each other through these processes. Participation in struggle requires each of us to engage in both solidarity and our own liberation: to be accountable for all privileges carried, while also struggling for liberation from internalized and/or experienced oppression. We seek to build a healthy culture of resistance, accountability, and sustenance.
    • (Adapted from Unsettling MN‘s Points of Unity)

[/INDENT]

Addressing economic and institutional systems that have harmed Native Americans is the focus - and finding ways to re-structure how the U.S. handles itself. And on that site alone, there are several other organizations pertaining to Native American environmental stewardship groups, resource-gathering for impoverished communities and helping communities stay together in light of all the stereotypes. That's the basis behind it - and they have already pointed out the issue in https://unsettlingamerica.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/unoccupy-turtle-island/

By your logic, it seems apparent you're more than fine with the stereotypes of Native Americans (as the unsettling America site alongside others pointed out) - and there's no need trying to deny it when one cannot show at any point where they are truly against stereotypes of Native Americans in the media and everyday life. If you are against stereotypes of Native Americans, then it is upon you to do as others (Red Fox in example) and actually address them - but if you're for it, you'll continue with the rants that try to take attention away from that.
Yet another strawman.
As you've already deflected from earlier with strawmen, the ad-hominem is useless at this point on your part.
The point that successful blacks from the time period specified represented the whole was never made. I also think it quite telling you twice now have employed the word token in regard to successful blacks from the 1940's, 50's, and 60's.
Sistrin

Seeing that you already brought up slavery/segregation as well as talking about "evil white people" several times whenever people speak on immigration reform, it is inconsistent trying to talk on what is or isn't "telling" since people addressing issues in history don't react (if they are concerned for history) by assuming it's all about "Evil white people" - but as said before, it is what it is. And as said before, you already argued for the concept when selectively bringing up others who were successful in eras where the mass majority of a group were constantly hindered. TYF brought up a general statement - and your best argument was to try and split hairs by claiming he said "ALL" rather than understanding context with the majority. That's no different than saying "People speeding get tickets!!!" and then trying to argue with saying "Your argument is baseless since there are plenty who DON'T get tickets - what you got to say on that?!".......people making general statements are not making absolute statements

Wrong. That is exactly what he said.
As usual, an assertion made isn't the same as actually making an argument. Unless you can show logically ANYWHERE that someone making a general statement is making an ABSOLUTE statement, you are again arguing past what TYF already said and responding based on what you want to hear rather than what was said. It's no different than having a conversation on the dangers of heat exhaustion and seeing someone say "People die a lot in heat" - only for someone using your logic coming out of nowhere and making that out to mean something foolish like saying "So you're saying people in all hot climates will die? That's ridiculous!!!" when no one was saying that).

People were generally NOT able to succeed or compete in the same way as others did if they were white and this is a basic in history when we see thingss over-all - and other conservatives have pointed that out repeatedly. One film that noted the issue was discussed before - called "Runaway Slave" (which one can see here) when it comes to the history Blacks have gone through and the economic realities that kept them hindered extensively from being on the same level.
You need to tell that to the Democrat party. However you can't possibly believe the comment you just made as the overriding point of this thread is preference of certain groups and the rights of those groups over those of another.
Bad argumentation as usual, as the Democratic Party has already noted the differing ethnic groups in existence - and noting differing ethnic groups isn't the same as dealing with ONE in example. Focusing on the Chinese and their battles in the U.S (including moments their rights as U.S citizens were ignored) does not logically mean that one ignores the plight of all other ethnic groups - and those trying to even bring that into discussion generally tend to be people who are not concerned with the group highlighted. The focus in this thread is seeing where the rights of Native Americans have consistently been ignored to their detriment for the sake of other groups - and multiple ethnic groups (i.e. Palestinians, Indians, Chinese, Russians, Kenyans, Aboriginals, etc.) have spoken on the issue in solidarity when seeing the basic history they have.
Yet another strawman. You did.
As said before already, when you actually deal with what was SAID and not what you want to hear, you'll have room to speak on straw-man. Till then, you are continuing with more of the same in ad-hominem
No one who has responded to you has ignored or attempted to ignore the history of minorities.
Another falsehood..
This is just a lie. I have not said here nor anywhere that the eradication of any people was justified. You are engaging in defamation of character, and you need to either post where I said the eradication of Native Americans or blacks was justified or retract your comment.
No need for the equivocation when caught on the matter, Sistrin - as you already showed unwillingness to actually deal with your own words, as has been said repeatedly whenever you claimed it was justified because Native Americans were already fighting in the U.S. Again, It was already noted where you justified what Great Britain did in eradicating Native Americans/taking land wrongfully when claiming "Well, tribes were already fighting one another and the British practiced no other policy other than what the tribes already had" (as noted here and here) You are already not taken seriously for the re-making of the history of interaction with Native Americans - but it is problematic claiming they deserved to be wiped out and that the British were justified. It's unfortunate if you cannot even keep up with your own words - as it shows yourself in a negative light with where you cannot own up to your words. And I doubt you actually are able to own up to your words since this has happened with other posters
From the website linked:

The goal and endgame are both made clear.
And nothing from the website you gave shows in any way where it was about either removing all Whites from the U.S. - or others who are Non-Native not being treated repsectfully. Thus again, you argue with yourself/your own ideas rather than the content - and one can do better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
YES! IDLE NO MORE! I'm active in some online Idle No More groups. I haven't been able to join any of the protests yet, but if I ever get the chance, I will be on the front lines. A'HO!

78e3123feb3e7b70a749bee837e525eb.jpg
Let me know when you're able to join the protests - they have been growing of late, as far as I am aware.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);67337032 said:
And as other mods have already said in other threads, you have two options in threads you do not like: (1) Choose to be respectful and go into other threads or (2) Leave the thread without either disrespecting the OP topic in any manner (i.e. off topic postings, flame, etc.).

You could use spoiler tags for the over sized images. That would be respectful of those who want to read the thread and is an option typically employed by many members here in order to avoid the very criticism being levied.

As for not "disrespecting," your comment is the classic example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You could use spoiler tags for the over sized images. That would be respectful of those who want to read the thread and is an option typically employed by many members here in order to avoid the very criticism being levied.
Spoiler tags are not always used nor necessary when others can see what's present in a thread - and as said before, when others see what's present, at that point they can go further or walk away respectfully. Other members have already noted this dozens of times when it comes to avoiding being petty over something as simple as seeing what's present in a thread and choosing to derail with complaint (against the rules - as you're doing here) rather than respecting others engaged in the conversation who do not care on it. To avoid that is not respecting the members who have been engaged in this thread, enjoying it and focusing on the material - fully aware of the images present in it from what comes up and also sharing images as well.

As for not "disrespecting," your comment is the classic example of the pot calling the kettle black.
Nothing said there either addresses the topic or the context, as it's one thing disagreeing with an OP - but another avoiding it and talking on all things besides the point with whatever complaints one has. That is - and always will be - disrespecting. Of course, the next time you make a thread, what can occur is mentioning/speaking on everything others may disagree with you on BESIDES the OP topic and we can examine how consistent you are in the logic you just offered.

That said, as said before, you are again off-topic and it will be reported as before if you're unable to keep yourself from being disrespectful by avoiding derailing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
By all means share them if you would like - and if you find any you think are of importance to the issue, please share them here as well as it concerns bringing awareness.

I will, thank you. And please keep up the good work. Sadly, it has been my experience that there will always be naysayers and haters when it comes to any issue having to do with the indigenous peoples of Turtle Island. I have had to deal with a lot more than just this over the course of my life. So, take heart and keep standing firm for this cause, remain standing strong for our poeple. And when I pray to the Great Spirit, I will pray for you and offer smudge in your honor.

11150534_361206947410398_2984660767327872447_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I think there will always be a dynamic with seeing how others may say they are concerned for Native Americans - but in truth, how much they advocate for them will always reveal whether they either care for them or pay lip service to concern for them. What you noted earlier on the issue of mascots is a big deal when it comes to the quote you shared - and on the issue, part of truly bringing things together in the U.S. is realizing the humanity often denied American Indians because of the way the media stereotypes them while also saying they are valuable.

dbd16ae4a63e35706f479e89ec43c744.jpg

my-america1.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I will, thank you. And please keep up the good work. Sadly, it has been my experience that there will always be naysayers and haters when it comes to any issue having to do with the indigenous peoples of Turtle Island. I have had to deal with a lot more than just this over the course of my life. So, take heart and keep standing firm for this cause, remain standing strong for our poeple. And when I pray to the Great Spirit, I will pray for you and offer smudge in your honor.

11150534_361206947410398_2984660767327872447_n.jpg
Appreciate the shout-out - I have noticed the same as you and it's why it really doesn't phase me whenever people choose the route of being a naysayer rather than a contributor in regards to helping people of Turtle Island. Actions speak louder than words

The quote you made was spot on...

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I think there will always be a dynamic with seeing how others may say they are concerned for Native Americans - but in truth, how much they advocate for them will always reveal whether they either care for them or pay lip service to concern for them. What you noted earlier on the issue of mascots is a big deal when it comes to the quote you shared - and on the issue, part of truly bringing things together in the U.S. is realizing the humanity often denied American Indians because of the way the media stereotypes them while also saying they are valuable.
Based on my personal experience, more often than not, it's just lip service and nothing more. After hearing racist and derogatory remarks against NDNs for the vast majority of my life, I can't help but be cynical when a non-Native person, especially one who professes to be Christian, tells me that they care about Native Americans and what is happening to our people. It takes me a while to come around and finally believe that the person is actually being sincere. And based on my personal experience, many of the non-Native people who were racist against NDNs (and other minorities) did claim to also be Christian and went to church on a weekly basis. So, my cynicism toward these kind of Christians has been well earned over the years. I think that I am more than justified to be "gun shy" when it comes to issues like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvvYRhU5hvk

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Appreciate the shout-out - I have noticed the same as you and it's why it really doesn't phase me whenever people choose the route of being a naysayer rather than a contributor in regards to helping people of Turtle Island. Actions speak louder than words

The quote you made was spot on...

You're welcome. And yes, the quote is spot on. I think this thread is amazing and one of a kind. I'm very proud of it and very proud to be a part of it.

16520_361241137406979_2079987697600532020_n.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
What you noted earlier on the issue of mascots is a big deal when it comes to the quote you shared - and on the issue, part of truly bringing things together in the U.S. is realizing the humanity often denied American Indians because of the way the media stereotypes them while also saying they are valuable.
Speaking of which...I realize this is an old article, but I wanted to share it anyway.

U.S. patent office cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
And speaking of the united states government starting to make amends to the NDN Nations.

This article is dated September 26, 2014, but I thought it was significant to the content of your thread.
In a landmark settlement, which Navajo president Ben Shelly describes as “fair and just,” the United States government has been ordered to pay reparation amounting to $554 million for mismanaging Navajo lands.
Navajo Win $554,000,000 From The US Government

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And speaking of the united states government starting to make amends to the NDN Nations.

This article is dated September 26, 2014, but I thought it was significant to the content of your thread.

Navajo Win $554,000,000 From The US Government
Interesting to see the developments and thanks for letting me know on the issue. I didn't know that this happened that recently or within the last year - but the settlement was truly extensive. How they use the funding to rebuild things should be interesting...although as I have said earlier, reparations will never be enough to deal with anything and I am glad for other Native Americans noting reparations are not the way to go if truly wanting to address the issue comprehensively.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Based on my personal experience, more often than not, it's just lip service and nothing more. After hearing racist and derogatory remarks against NDNs for the vast majority of my life, I can't help but be cynical when a non-Native person, especially one who professes to be Christian, tells me that they care about Native Americans and what is happening to our people. It takes me a while to come around and finally believe that the person is actually being sincere. And based on my personal experience, many of the non-Native people who were racist against NDNs (and other minorities) did claim to also be Christian and went to church on a weekly basis. So, my cynicism toward these kind of Christians has been well earned over the years.
I can understand the tendency to be distrustful of others who tend to come from a certain background. I've experienced the same when it comes to others saying things in the name of Christ that had little to do with the actual words of Jesus - giving him a bad name in the eyes of many because others promoted things that went against him. I've had to learn that I can not base all of my perceptions on others walking in the negative, in the same way that I cannot condemn all who drive cars because of the many driving drunk. And when it comes to Christianity, it is interesting to consider how many do not consider the ways others have lived it out from the perspective of the Red Road - with that being part of the reason I can appreciate others noting things such as saying "Christ Is a Native American" when examining his own experiences. I appreciate others who've helped me to appreciate the Red Road and the ways it points to Christ in his work....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qudZI5TMzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PJ0CCCVZNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uwvBY1sBY0

I think that I am more than justified to be "gun shy" when it comes to issues like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvvYRhU5hvk

As it concerns the video you sent, it is a very excellent spoken-word piece. She did another one called Tiger Lily:

And for others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jK_VjRwu8s

I am aware of Rowie Shaundiin Shebala, of Indigenous People Open Mic. She's from the Najavo tribe, as far as I'm aware, and I believe she has spoken on her experiences on the reservation in the U.S. and I admire her courage..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I never understood why instead of simply reservations, the indians weren't given their own state to govern. That would make them both part of the US and better able to keep much of their identity and traditions alive. It wouldn't have given them their land back (unless their tribe was lucky enough to have lived in that particular state), but it would have given them some degree of autonomy while still assimilating them into the United States.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You're welcome. And yes, the quote is spot on. I think this thread is amazing and one of a kind. I'm very proud of it and very proud to be a part of it.

16520_361241137406979_2079987697600532020_n.jpg
Unity will always make a world of difference when it comes to the issue, as your quote pointed out.

All united on the same Earth as mother - which is something to be nurtured/valued...

6a0168e731d600970c017c318b1ac7970b-pi

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.