'Migrant influencer' urging illegals to squat in US homes on run from authorities

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really? Then how come they didn't notice someone was living there?

-- A2SG, couldn't have been paying that much attention....
No one is perfect. People have very busy lives and cannot be expected to see everything that you believe they ought to have seen.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The lawful and easy solution is for people to lawfully lease and/or rent those properties from the property owners.
No argument there. And the vast majority of people do exactly that.

But we're not talking about those people here, are we?

-- A2SG, and if a property owner isn't paying attention to the property, then he isn't offering it for rent anyway....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No one is perfect. People have very busy lives and cannot be expected to see everything that you believe they ought to have seen.
Someone living in your property for years seems more than a simple, honest oversight to me. Don't you think property owners have responsibilities to the properties they own?

-- A2SG, like, say, at the very least, noticing if people are living there for years....

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it that the liberals in this thread appear to be defending lawbreakers?

There you go again with that "years" stuff.
Squatters don't need years to become squatters.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why is it that the liberals in this thread appear to be defending lawbreakers?
We're not. Adverse possession is a law. We're talking about people who have lived in a property long enough to qualify under that law.

-- A2SG, property owners aren't feudal lords with absolute rights, y'know....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am glad that there are states, like Florida, that are changing the laws that allow squatting, or what you call "Adverse possession."
I know, right? Someone's gotta protect the rights of people to ignore and abandon their properties and responsibilities for years at at time, after all.

-- A2SG, wonder why it took so long to notice the laws were on the books, though....

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know, right? Someone's gotta protect the rights of people to ignore and abandon their properties and responsibilities for years at at time, after all.

-- A2SG, wonder why it took so long to notice the laws were on the books, though....
If an owner has paid their property tax, the house is not "abandoned".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well aren't you mean spirited! Not allowing someone to live for free on property you're paying for...
/S

• Haha
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You know ICE wouldn't have to be chasing him if Biden wouldn't have let him in in the first place.
The Biden administration and the Democrat congress, reached over the isle and worked with some hard line conservatives to put together a bill to fund those working on the border and on the asylum processing. This would have meant that there was an upper limit to asylum applications as well as would have meant that people are processed in a timely manner which means they could be held in facilities while awaiting processing.

But instead
D Trump thought it would improve his election chances if he sabotaged this deal and so kept the border overrun.
D Trump wants the border to be failing, he wants these people to be let into the country unvetted. He thinks it makes his political opponent look bad so he sabotaged the effort by his political opponent to improve the border.

• Winner
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Surly there is a law which states this? Or this just an opinion?
I take it you're not a homeowner. But let's assume you at least own a car. If you bought your car and suddenly left it in your driveway or garage for a week or two without driving it during that period for whatever reason (you were away on business or vacation, or you started riding a bicycle to places as part of an exercise routine), do you believe that anyone has the right to simply take your car and claim it as their own because you didn't use it over a given period of time?

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well aren't you mean spirited! Not allowing someone to live for free on property you're paying for...
/S
I know, right?
I wouldn't mind upgrading my living situation. There's a home nearby I've been coveting. As soon as the owners are away on vacation this summer, I just might get my big break! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Boy, you can tell who doesn’t live in a city with a high number of vacant, dilapidated houses.

I don’t know what the situation with the squatters you all are talking about is (adverse possession takes years, so is unlikely to be relevant to anybody watching tiktok) but yes, people can -and do- pay taxes on houses that are otherwise abandoned. No, it’s not always because people are just “busy.” Sometimes these are investment properties left to rot because it’s cheaper and/or not yet profitable to rehab. Sometimes they’re left to rot to get around preservation rules. Sometimes the properties are bequeathed to people who live outside the area but still pay the bills.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Boy, you can tell who doesn’t live in a city with a high number of vacant, dilapidated houses.

I don’t know what the situation with the squatters you all are talking about is (adverse possession takes years, so is unlikely to be relevant to anybody watching tiktok) but yes, people can -and do- pay taxes on houses that are otherwise abandoned. No, it’s not always because people are just “busy.” Sometimes these are investment properties left to rot because it’s cheaper and/or not yet profitable to rehab. Sometimes they’re left to rot to get around preservation rules. Sometimes the properties are bequeathed to people who live outside the area but still pay the bills.

We have one in our area. It isn't an eyesore but doesn't share the same aplomb as others on the block. It's a large townhouse with high ceilings and gorgeous windows. The property is stately and could easily accommodate two families in light of its size. It would probably sell for $2 million or more just for the land. Prime real estate, walking distance to everything, etc. From time to time we'll see a little activity. Minor construction but nothing major.

~bella

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If someone else has been living there for years, unnoticed by the property owner, then yeah, it was abandoned.

Paying the property tax simply means you're not in trouble with the tax people.

-- A2SG, maintaining your property requires more than just paying the taxes....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know, right?
I wouldn't mind upgrading my living situation. There's a home nearby I've been coveting. As soon as the owners are away on vacation this summer, I just might get my big break! ;)
Unless their vacation lasts several years, you may have a problem when they get back.

-- A2SG, just sayin'....

Upvote 0