VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This one's a toughy, so if it isn't answered by the tenth post, I'll drop a strong hint.

What would creatio ex nihilo do to the universe as a whole that creatio ex materia would not?

As both are metaphysics and therefore not scientific the skys the limit. Anything you can argue for, neither is constrained by physics, rationality or anything else that can be discussed in a meaningful way.

In other words, its a pointless question without scientific, philisophical or theological value.

I would strongly recommend reading some philosophy, basic theology and basic science.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This one's a toughy, so if it isn't answered by the tenth post, I'll drop a strong hint.

What would creatio ex nihilo do to the universe as a whole that creatio ex materia would not?

Reduce the human race to ignorance, superstition, anxiety, neurosis, and fear.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cause there to be more total stuff than previously.
Very good!

Yes, creatio ex nihilo would raise the total amount of mass/energy in the universe.

Creatio ex materia would not.

God rested (ceased) from creatio ex nihilo on the Seventh Day, implementing what we call the First Law of Thermodynamics.

Good job! :)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In fact, chapter 1 is rather explicit on all days except 1 and 4 that God is using what is already there.
God created both ex nihilo (the earth) and ex materia (trees) during the creation week.

Upvote 0