United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's a tough question that I'd love to see answered:

Re the scientific disciplines of physical science, life science, and evolution, do you feel you are academically qualified to say the Bible is wrong; in the passages where the Bible disagrees with said disciplines?

Reactions: DJWhalen

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Re the scientific disciplines of physical science, life science, and evolution, do you feel you are academically qualified to say the Bible is wrong; in the passages where the Bible disagrees with said disciplines?
No. Re the scientific disciplines, all one can say is that the findings of science appear to conflict with a literalist reading of scripture. That doesn't suggest that "the Bible is wrong" but merely that the findings of science appear to conflict with a literalist reading of scripture. If you think that "makes the Bible wrong" that's your problem.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

For me, the Bible and science can live side by side. I see no reason why it cant. And thats coming from an old dog like me!

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I feel I'm academically qualified to say that the universe is far older than 10,000 years, but I don't see a young age as something the Bible actually claims. It's just something a portion of Christians get from their interpretations of the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

The Bible is about a relationship with God, it is not a science book. Science is about a relationship with this physical world, it is not about God. If either is used for what they are not made for, they will be wrong.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible is about a relationship with God, it is not a science book. Science is about a relationship with this physical world, it is not about God. If either is used for what they are not made for, they will be wrong.

You talk a lot about how creation speaks to you.

Do you feel academia will accept and respect your knowledge, while others have to spend a good part of their time and money going through college?

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

You talk a lot about how creation speaks to you.

Do you feel academia will accept and respect your knowledge, while others have to spend a good part of their time and money going through college?
Interesting question. It's not academia that stands in the way, it's the political right with their anti-woke weird stuff that rejects it. Creation, in how it speaks to me points towards things like oneness in diversity, change over time, wonderment, unity, awareness, consciousness, empathy, compassion, service to those in need, and Love. These things are the essence of the spiritual path I follow. They are found in what makes a human are more Human Being which is our part of Creation. All of which is readily accepted by academia and even respected.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, I deem myself to be academically informed ENOUGH (by my scholarly sources) to know where the historical and epistemological nuances and limits of the Bible are located, all the while staying well away from assuming that I can ignore my own limited scope of appraisals where either Natural Science or Christian faith are under scrutiny.

I know, I know. That sounds positively MAD, doesn't it? :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: BCP1928
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am bemused as to why you think it a tough question.
I feel academically qualified to say that there is no discernible science, either in terms of methodology, or conclusions in the Bible. Consequently nothing I can see in the Bible conflicts with the findings of science. This in no way diminishes the Bible's value as a work that seeks to describe proper behaviour and motivations for such behaviour, and apportion a role for man in the universe, nor lessen the quality of the poetic imagery, the metaphors, parables and myths.***

***I understand that forum rules forbid describing any portion of the Bible as a myth. However, to me a myth is a means of telling an important Truth via an engaging story and the Bible does this very effectively in several places. Not noting the presence of myths in the text in answer to this challenge would be a dishonest act on my part. I vastly prefer any punishment for breaking a rule over the wrongness of making a dishonest post.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Consequently nothing I can see in the Bible conflicts with the findings of science.

Are you serious?

How about the order of the creation events?

You know?

The earth before the sun?

Angiosperms before the sun?

Whales before land animals? etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens

I studied some geology at university, so I have enough academic understanding to understand the scientific evidence for the billions of years of events that contradict the literal interpretation of Genesis.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you serious?

How about the order of the creation events?

You know?

The earth before the sun?

Angiosperms before the sun?

Whales before land animals? etc.
Yeah or a six day creation, or a 4,000 year genealogy record from Adam to Christ or that Adam was the first man or that all men came from him or that nothing died before Adam sinned, or that woman was created from man, or that there was a world wide flood, or that all men are descendants of Noah, or that there was a talking snake, or that there was a talking donkey, or that a couple people came back to life after being dead for 3-4 days, or that a woman was instantly turned into a pillar of salt just by looking at something, or that the sun stopped for a few hours, or that a man survived in the belly of a whale for 3 days, or that a Man walked on water, or that a virgin became pregnant, or that a Man instantly turned water to wine, or that a Man healed a blind man by rubbing mud in his eyes, or that a man healed a paralyzed man by simply telling him to get up, or that the Red Sea was divided so that people could cross it, or that the Jordan river stopped flowing so people could cross it, or that the first born of every single Egyptian mysteriously died on the same night, or that a man turned the Nile into blood by sticking his staff into it, or that a man turned a staff into a snake and back into a staff again, or that a man was instantaneously transported 2400 miles from Ethiopia to Azotus, umm I think that’s about it, oh almost forgot there’s also that whole thing about there actually being a God, but yeah other than these few minor occasions nothing that contradicts science here.

• Haha
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,884.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yes.
And add archaeology, demographics, astronomy and population genetics among the sciences that say that the bible is wrong.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟11,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible is never wrong jest misunderstood science is the word of man trying to disprove the word of God evolution is mans explanation of Gods creation not forgetting God and Christ are still creating

‭‭John 5:17 ESV‬‬
[17] But Jesus answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I am working.”

So creation is on going the end of creation is man in the image of God and that man is Jesus Christ at his second comming hopefully this will be soon

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and it’s not wrong but some interpretations are wrong. I used to believe in a literal interpretation of the entire Bible but now I am open to other interpretations.
There are some things we just don’t know and can’t really explain.
As for your question, no I’m not qualified.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yeah or a six day creation, or a 4,000 year genealogy record from Adam to Christ or that Adam was the first man or that all men came from him or that nothing died before Adam sinned, or that woman was created from man, or that there was a world wide flood, or that all men are descendants of Noah, or that there was a talking snake, or that there was a talking donkey, or that a couple people came back to life after being dead for 3-4 days, or that a woman was instantly turned into a pillar of salt just by looking at something, or that the sun stopped for a few hours, or that a man survived in the belly of a whale for 3 days, or that a Man walked on water, or that a virgin became pregnant, or that a Man instantly turned water to wine, or that a Man healed a blind man by rubbing mud in his eyes, or that a man healed a paralyzed man by simply telling him to get up, or that the Red Sea was divided so that people could cross it, or that the Jordan river stopped flowing so people could cross it, or that the first born of every single Egyptian mysteriously died on the same night, or that a man turned the Nile into blood by sticking his staff into it, or that a man turned a staff into a snake and back into a staff again, or that a man was instantaneously transported 2400 miles from Ethiopia to Azotus, umm
That's rather a mixed list of things, some of them are not contradicted by science and some are not essential to the faith
I think that’s about it, oh almost forgot there’s also that whole thing about there actually being a God, but yeah other than these few minor occasions nothing that contradicts science here.
But a right porky like this one is disgusting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The bible is never wrong jest misunderstood science is the word of man trying to disprove the word of God evolution is mans explanation of Gods creation not forgetting God and Christ are still creating

That is rather an insult to all those Christians who have pracrticed science as way of discovering more about God's creation and simultaneously honouring him.
I think they would agree with the second part of your sentence: the action of evolution continues today, generating changes in species and producing new species.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's rather a mixed list of things, some of them are not contradicted by science and some are not essential to the faith

But a right porky like this one is disgusting.
I apologize if that statement offended anyone it was just a bit of a joke. That’s why I posted it to AV1611VET and not to the original poster.

• Friendly
Reactions: BCP1928
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

It's the creation stories of an ancient middle-eastern tribe of desert nomads that is wrong. We know that because the Earth itSelf is showing us what the true story is.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's the creation stories of an ancient middle-eastern tribe of desert nomads that is wrong. We know that because the Earth itSelf is showing us what the true story is.
This is the popular answer I keep seeing, the Bible is wrong, even tho the predicted age of the earth is a prediction and not a fact. Nobody has ever proven how old the earth actually is and the predictions of scientists on this subject are based on what we can observe today and assumptions about what we can’t observe in the past.

Upvote 0