Nov 12, 2008
✟241,143.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I've assumed that the wealth of evidence for the existence of Pangea can also be applied to reverse engineer its movements over time
But its movements relative to what? There is no fixed point on the Earth's surface: the continents wander and the sea-floor is wholly replaced and subsumed at roughly 200 million year intervals. The selection of Greenwich for the zero meridian is a convenience, not a reflection of reality.

Like you I have a nagging doubt that I might be missing something and invite suggestions as to what it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
But its movements relative to what? There is no fixed point on the Earth's surface: the continents wander and the sea-floor is wholly replaced and subsumed at roughly 200 million year intervals. The selection of Greenwich for the zero meridian is a convenience, not a reflection of reality.

Like you I have a nagging doubt that I might be missing something and invite suggestions as to what it is.
Its movements relative to the current known positions of its components.

OB

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So it moved 559,300,000 cm @ 2cm/year for 120-130 million years?
That would be 137,000,000 years ago this coming Thursday.

JK It only looks that old because everything was created at the same time 6214 years ago but God simply made it look like it was a lot older to give geologists something to do .

(Yes, I'm back. Had to make a quick trip to South London (England) to encourage my favorite football team.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That would be 137,000,000 years ago this coming Thursday.

JK It only looks that old because everything was created at the same time 6214 years ago but God simply made it look like it was a lot older to give geologists something to do .

(Yes, I'm back. Had to make a quick trip to South London (England) to encourage my favorite football team.)

Welcome back! :wave:

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you're asking.

If it's about the latitude and longitude of Pangean India, I took it from the map below published in Live Science (see post #49).

I have assumed the latitude and longitude figures are based on scientific study of continental drift along with analogous landforms, climate and botanical zones which shows how things "fitted together" over time as well as approximate past locations relative to the current locations of Pangea's bits.

View attachment 343575

OB
My point is that to determine latitude and longitude, we need a FIXED point of reference on the Earth. Given that Earth's crust is constantly moving (tectonic drift), and that the magnetic pole changes regularly as well, I don't see how anyone can possibly point to a single fixed point on the Earth's surface that can be used as a point of reference.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,259.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
My point is that to determine latitude and longitude, we need a FIXED point of reference on the Earth. Given that Earth's crust is constantly moving (tectonic drift), and that the magnetic pole changes regularly as well, I don't see how anyone can possibly point to a single fixed point on the Earth's surface that can be used as a point of reference.
A 'fixed point' might be the intersection of the shown bisecting, orthogonal axes in the rough diagrams of both eras.
We can note the symmetry of the shape of the diagram hasn't changed over time(?)

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A 'fixed point' might be the intersection of the shown bisecting, orthogonal axes in the rough diagrams of both eras.
We can note the symmetry of the shape of the diagram hasn't changed over time(?)
How can we note that?

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for confirming what I suspect:

1. It's not taught in academic circles.
2. Academia doesn't know where it started.

And that's because it didn't start out in the ocean and move anywhere.
Your opening question reads like:

"I want scientific proof that you have a nose. But I don't want you just to send me photos - as they could be photoshopped or faked. Therefore, your nose is not true."

I mean - why would anyone bother? Just wince a little at it all - and go to another thread.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your opening question reads like:

"I want scientific proof that you have a nose. But I don't want you just to send me photos - as they could be photoshopped or faked. Therefore, your nose is not true."

I mean - why would anyone bother? Just wince a little at it all - and go to another thread.

Putting a nose on Mr Potato Head in an instant of time is one thing.

Telling me you took five years to put a nose on Mr Potato Head, picking it up from a table five feet away, and moving it to its current destination at the rate of one foot per year is different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sure .. but that'd sort of defeat the whole point of the exercise, wouldn't it(?)
The exercise depends on being able to state that two points on the Earth's surface are the same after billions of years. I'm just asking how that is determined. Until then, the exercise is based on an assumption.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,259.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
The exercise depends on being able to state that two points on the Earth's surface are the same after billions of years. I'm just asking how that is determined. Until then, the exercise is based on an assumption.
I think that whenever a set of axes are 'imposed', (and co-ordinates assigned), Inference plays the key role .. (So there's my overall take on an answer to your question there).
'Points on Earth's surface' also requires Inference. Those points can also be referenced to similar sets of axes .. with one set representing 'billions of years' into the future.

I think one can always find Inference at play there .. regardless of whether the model is 'a graph on paper' or (a model of) 'Earth's surface'.

The method used, signifies the intended purpose. Inference rules are a cornerstone of the scientific objective method, no(?)

Upvote 0