Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it is fairly obvious to the other posters that I am correct. I will waste no more time trying to correct you since you painted yourself into position you cannot get out of without looking disingenuous. I choose to be the better man and let the subject drop. :wave:

Hardly. You have been incorrect since you first stated that Brievik was an example of (a) "Christian" who got no news when he murdered Muslims.

Upvote 0

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
Wow. I'm no McCain fan, but that wasn't McCain.

Are you sure? Doh, you're right.

McCain dumped his former swimwear model wife after she was in a horrific car accident, one that after 23 operations left her 6 inches shorter, and much heavier, to marry a beauty queen.

Who was the politician who dumped his wife when she had cancer?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm, you've obviously never been near a Canadian with a hockey stick in their hand, and a puck on the ice. :p (I'm Canadian :) )

I've said that to Muslims, the answer I get is:

How can they ignore the Old Testament? Is the Old Testament not part of their bible? Do they not believe in the Ten Commandments? And Jesus said to kill non believers! That he brings the sword, not peace!

It's the same record being played over and over by both sides. I think is bad for humanity.

Muslims don't have Jesus. Christians do. While Christians may debate whether the Ten specific Commandments are still applicable to us, none of those Ten Commandments requires violence. In fact one is "Thou shalt not kill."

Nowhere in the Mosaic Law is there a commandment even for Jews to kill anyone outside a very small and specifically defined area of land.

Here's the parable Jesus tells, beginning at verse 11 for context:

11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. 12 He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’

14 “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’

15 “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

19 “His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’

22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’

25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’

26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

Of course, this parable obviously has something to do with Jesus. But that simply proves the point. Jesus is about to die and ascend to the Father. Jesus' return will be the final judgment, and Jesus tells us elsewhere that the angels will carry out his commands to execute judgment (see Matthew 13:41-43).

So Luke 19:27, in its immediate context, is part of a story that has nothing to do with Jesus' disciples killing anyone. And even when it is interpreted as referring to the final judgment, the passage still has nothing to do with the disciples killing anyone, because "those standing by" are angels sent for judgment.

All deception by Muslim apologists aside, what does Jesus actually commands his followers to do? Here's the answer in Matthew 5:43-48:

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Reactions: Sistrin
Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Muslims don't have Jesus. Christians do. While Christians may debate whether the Ten specific Commandments are still applicable to us, none of those Ten Commandments requires violence. In fact one is "Thou shalt not kill."

Nowhere in the Mosaic Law is there a commandment even for Jews to kill anyone outside a very small and specifically defined area of land.

Here's the parable Jesus tells, beginning at verse 11 for context:

11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. 12 He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’

14 “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’

15 “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

19 “His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’

22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’

25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’

26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

Of course, this parable obviously has something to do with Jesus. But that simply proves the point. Jesus is about to die and ascend to the Father. Jesus' return will be the final judgment, and Jesus tells us elsewhere that the angels will carry out his commands to execute judgment (see Matthew 13:41-43).

So Luke 19:27, in its immediate context, is part of a story that has nothing to do with Jesus' disciples killing anyone. And even when it is interpreted as referring to the final judgment, the passage still has nothing to do with the disciples killing anyone, because "those standing by" are angels sent for judgment.

All deception by Muslim apologists aside, what does Jesus actually commands his followers to do? Here's the answer in Matthew 5:43-48:

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
You are so wrong. Jesus is the king of the parable, and He is issuing a command to today's followers and all Christians since the day the sign of the Son of Man appeared in the clouds (in 312 AD). That day is known as the turning point of history because ever since that day, Christian nations have been the dominant force on earth and they have often had to kill the enemies of Jesus who objected to Jesus and His followers ruling the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
Why are we still focusing on Christian atrocities in a thread about Muslims slaughtering people. How many hints do you need? Are you a relatively new atheist who was formerly a Christian? What's your story?

It could certainly be interpreted as justification.

No story. I was a Christian until I read the bible at age 12. I Realized that by definition an all-loving God could not commit all the atrocities in the bible, and from there it was easy to see that the entire thing was a myth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.