Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

FDA approval for the specific purpose being discussed, or FDA approval for other purposes?

Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine have FDA approval, but not for the purposes people were trying to use them for over the past few years.

Allow me to answer my own question:
1676678658977.png

Or, to quote the NIH:
Puberty blockers and sex hormones do not have U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for children’s gender care. No clinical trials have established their safety for such off-label use.

These medications are not FDA approved for the use of pubertal suppression in transgender youth.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Yttrium
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Or, to quote the NIH:
Puberty blockers and sex hormones do not have U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for children’s gender care. No clinical trials have established their safety for such off-label use.

These medications are not FDA approved for the use of pubertal suppression in transgender youth.
Aha. You're right. It's approved for precocious puberty (where puberty is happening too early), but not for transgender. I'll have to withdraw my support for puberty blockers for transgender for now, at least until the FDA has a better handle on it.

I note that there are states that are now making it illegal to use puberty blockers (not to mention gender reassignment surgery), and I can't really object to that until the FDA chimes in.

Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Aha. You're right. It's approved for precocious puberty (where puberty is happening to early), but not for transgender. I'll have to withdraw my support for puberty blockers for transgender for now, at least until the FDA has a better handle on it.

I note that there are states that are now making it illegal to use puberty blockers (not to mention gender reassignment surgery), and I can't really object to that until the FDA chimes in.

Granted, my previous wasn't to say that all off-label use of something is a bad thing.

I'd be the first to say that if due diligence was done, thorough screening was done, and a thoughtful physician thought that using such drugs had the best pros:cons ratio for a transgender person in their teens, that would be between them and their doctor. (and the doctor should own that decision if something bad happens)

But like with many other things, I feel like too much of the "fast track" approach is being used. Another recent example would be the current influx of Ozepmic being used off-label as a weight loss drug. Some people heard that "it can work for that", and it's gotten to the point where so many people are trying to use it off-label for an "easy weight loss solution" that diabetics (the condition is is approved for) are having a hard time getting their medicine.

Reactions: Yttrium
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From the story these boys were to young to transition to girls. Beside from wearing dresses and be called girl names. And was supposedly encouraged by the mom. I'm not getting all the talk against something they were to young to take.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Goserelin....aka Zoladex...is approved by the FDA to treat cancer and endometriosis.

That's according to the people who made the drug....and got FDA approval.

It's not approved for children wanting to avoid puberty.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/daf/index.cfm?event=overview.process&ApplNo=019726

I don't really have to try again. I'm sure you're already aware that these drugs aren't approved for treating mentally confused children. They may have approval for adults facing different medical issues....but not children.

If they're actually approved for treating trans people...let's see the evidence.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I generally find that there's only one reason for not producing it.

You've asked me for evidence, then told me you wouldn't read it once I provided it.

Whatever reason you were thinking of....unless it's the fact that the request is pointless and disingenuous....it doesn't apply to me and you.

Upvote 0