catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,164,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Texas, the Southern U.S. and Mexico, a three-week heat wave has gripped the region with temperature records falling for days in a row. Extreme heat has also hit India, China and Canada, where widespread wildfires are burning.

"Most of the world's population has experienced record-breaking heat in recent days," says Daniel Swain, climate scientist at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Compared to long term averages for this day of the year, you can see many very populated regions in elevated temperatures compared to a average for June 29th. A white color means the temperature is right at average for June 29th for that location. Blue color means the local temperature at a location is below the average for June 29th. Red colors indicate above average at a location for June 29th.

gfs_world-wt_t2anom_d1.png

Europe, Japan, much of China, Southern India, and also in the U.S. a current heat wave in the U.S. expanding out of Texas and Oklahoma.

Notably today a significant portion of permafrost tundra areas in the northern hemisphere are well above average temperature for June 29th, so permafrost melt this summer will be interesting to monitor.

• Informative
Reactions: Pioneer3mm

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,164,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
squirrel-splooting-648d85c29d8a174f43e8ccb71e86230725bcfe36-s900-c85.webp

The heat is making squirrels 'sploot' — a goofy act that signals something serious​

• Splooting is behavior some animals use to cool their body temperature. Squirrels are finding cool surfaces and lying on their stomachs, legs spread, to cool off.
  • When humans are hot, sweating cools us down. But animals that can't sweat have to resort to other behaviors to cool off. Dogs pant. Birds dunk themselves in water. And squirrels sploot.
  • Carlos Botero, an associate professor of integrative biology at University of Texas at Austin, says "the temperatures we're experiencing right now are a little bit beyond the typical ability of this animal to withstand."
  • Temperatures in Austin have blazed past previous records. The heat index values, or "feels-like temperature," reached their highest ever at 118 degrees. And experts say this is not normal.
  • Animal physiologist Andrea Rummel, an incoming assistant professor of biosciences at Rice University, says splooting is likely enough to keep squirrels cool for now. But it might not be if temperatures continue to rise, she says, because "there's only so much one avenue of heat loss can do."

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,164,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was 100 degrees in Tulsa OK today - has not been this hot since last summer.
That's not too hot really for a boy from Austin. I've often worked in 98-103 and it was merely a hot day, not a problem... It's when the humidity also gets really high, dewpoints like 71F or more, and also the temperature goes on up some more (105, 107, etc.) that the combination cranks up the heat index enough to become more difficult for a native that is used to working outdoors in the summer.

As you could see above in post #2, Austin reached an all-time record since records have been kept of it's highest ever heat index, at 118F.

From experience in a previous heat index of like 115 or so, I found out that 2 full gallons of water wasn't enough for a full day of labor, and I ended up dehydrated even after pacing my way at regular intervals through 2 full gallons in the day.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,164,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is no longer a debate.
The main thing I'm wondering lately is how much the models of warming might fail to predict as much warming as might actually happen, globally. Of course, this year could be a bear with the El Niño, but beyond that it seems like we have been finding in recent years quite a few additional new feedback effects that increase warming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟903,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here in GA it is just now starting to get hot at the tail end of June usually it is at least a month earlier than that. We have a VERY rainy winter and spring this year. I have lived in GA all my life, and am turning 32 in August and this is wettest June I remember.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,164,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here in GA it is just now starting to get hot at the tail end of June usually it is at least a month earlier than that. We have a VERY rainy winter and spring this year. I have lived in GA all my life, and am turning 32 in August and this is wettest June I remember.
I see Atlanta averages significantly cooler than Austin in June, more than I would have guessed:

June Climate & Weather Averages in Atlanta​

High Temp: 87 °F
Low Temp: 67 °F
Mean Temp: 77 °F

June Climate & Weather Averages in Austin​

High Temp: 93 °F
Low Temp: 73 °F
Mean Temp: 83 °F
---------

What's today's high supposed to be? Are y'all getting just average heat/humidity there today?

I see Saturday is expected to be warm in Atlanta, at 97F. In Austin, those that work outside would usually call 97F just 'warm', not really hot to us unless you are in the direct sun long enough.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,164,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Monday, July 3, was the hottest day ever recorded globally, according to data from the U.S. National Centers for Environmental Prediction.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Our air conditioner really strained to keep up over the weekend. We've had a little cooler weather since. Humidity was brutal, over 81 percent. Also, one of the AC units at our church was down, and the temperature was over 78. We are going to have to install some fans, but our congregation is small and I doubt we can afford the expense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JHrusky

Apr 27, 2023
Midwest
✟9,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is no longer a debate.
Actually it is. We only have about 100 years of temperatures to compare when the earth is at least 6000+ years old. Evidence suggestions it was hotter in the late 1800s as well as what is called the 'Medieval Warming Period'. There is virtually zero evidence of man causing catastophic temperature change. But, if man continues to cut down forests and replace them with windmills as they are doing in Sweden, he may be able to begin something he cannot change back. Man seems to want to thing 'he' is significant enough to cause this. He is not.

And, as to fires, I'm kinda sure there were forest fires before there was man-made global warming/global cooling/climate change/global boiling or whatever it is they want to claim it is today to try and create more fear. They have been wrong each and every time they have made a prediction. Nothing suggests that today is any different.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually it is. We only have about 100 years of temperatures to compare when the earth is at least 6000+ years old.

We can know with reasonable certainty the temperature of the earth, even before there was modern record keeping.

Upvote 0

JHrusky

Apr 27, 2023
Midwest
✟9,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There have been multiple warming and cooling events in the past record. There is really no solid evidence that it's anything much different today as every time predictions are made they have been wrong since at least the 1960s. When you continue to make models chasing a conclusion and then have to remake those models because they were wrong, that becomes a problem. One or two times, perhaps, but over and over and over again, all with the same failing result and the need to remake the model, again and again.

There is the sun that is a pretty good reason for warming. There are volcanoes that are pretty good reasons for more CO2 in the air. While man certainly should be good stewards of the Earth, taking him back into the 1800s by disallowing gas and oil from being used is ridiculous. Solar and wind will not be able to meet our electrical and fuel needs. Nuclear would, but we do a fairly bad job of keeping that totally safe as well.

When those hollering the loudest about man-made climate change start setting examples -- by living in small 'green' homes, stop using private jets to travel everywhere, and essentially live as they tell us we should be living, I'll start to take more notice. Until then it appears to be one of the biggest scams yet to take money from the middle class and give it all to the ultra elite.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There have been multiple warming and cooling events in the past record. There is really no solid evidence that it's anything much different today as every time predictions are made they have been wrong since at least the 1960s. When you continue to make models chasing a conclusion and then have to remake those models because they were wrong, that becomes a problem. One or two times, perhaps, but over and over and over again, all with the same failing result and the need to remake the model, again and again.

There is the sun that is a pretty good reason for warming. There are volcanoes that are pretty good reasons for more CO2 in the air. While man certainly should be good stewards of the Earth, taking him back into the 1800s by disallowing gas and oil from being used is ridiculous. Solar and wind will not be able to meet our electrical and fuel needs. Nuclear would, but we do a fairly bad job of keeping that totally safe as well.

Just because a conclusion is inconvenient is no reason to reject it. Sometimes life hands us hard truths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JHrusky

Apr 27, 2023
Midwest
✟9,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just because a conclusion is inconvenient is no reason to reject it. Sometimes life hands us hard truths.
It's not the inconvenience. It's the remake the model trying to reach the conclusion, remake the model trying to reach the conclusion, remake the model trying to reach the conclusion, ad nauseum.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not the inconvenience. It's the remake the model trying to reach the conclusion, remake the model trying to reach the conclusion, remake the model trying to reach the conclusion, ad nauseum.

Uh huh... what is your scientific background that lead you to come to that conclusion?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you attempting to claim one must have a professional scientific background to have and use common sense?

"Common sense" is often just common prejudices, wishful thinking, and flawed intuitions. A wise man proportions his belief according to the evidence. The evidence from science doesn't support the notion that humans aren't impacting the climate in dramatic ways.

Upvote 0