A massive Texas wildfire is now the largest on record in the state (1 million+ acres burned)

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If a fire is started by arson, that is the reason for the fire. Climate change may help make it more devastating, and widespread, even as it might be weather conditions that cause an arson to choose the timing. Just saying climate change is not the cause of a fire.
well no, an arson isn't going to get a fire going in a normal febuary weather very well.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I looked at satellite and street views of the area and this time of year it's covered in extremely dry dead wild grass. I looks like one match could start a massive brush fire. Whereas it's actually pretty green in summer.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well no, an arson isn't going to get a fire going in a normal febuary weather very well.
This is what it looks like in Feb/March.

zz Tex.png

zz Tex 2.png

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So this is normal for the area? Texas is really big, I don't know how much it varies.
I went through the roads that surround the Smokehouse Creek area. The area itself doesn't have any charted roads. Having lived in the Nevada desert, I know that anything that can start a fire can start a brush fire that spreads rapidly. Ironically all the area that burned up will probably be extra green in June.

zz Tex 3.png

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I went through the roads that surround the Smokehouse Creek area. The area itself doesn't have any charted roads. Having lived in the Nevada desert, I know that anything that can start a fire can start a brush fire that spreads rapidly. Ironically all the area that burned up will probably be extra green in June.

View attachment 343498
That is interesting. I know that my sister has shown me beautiful blue bells and other stuff growing in spring. She moved there last september.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,884.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Another thread that's basically about climate change belief and climate change denial. As if enough average people being climate change believers would have prevented it from happening.
It is not about "believing" in global warming it is about acting accordingly. Something climate change deniers still don't understand.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,884.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Acting accordingly in what ways?
  1. reduce carbon emissions trough excessive meat eating, car use, and other energy wastes.
  2. Increase carbon fixation through (re)forrestation, preservation of existing forrests
  3. promoting the development, installation and use of renewable energies or pushing elected politicians to do so.
  4. Promoting the development of nuclear fusion or pushing elected politicians to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  1. reduce carbon emissions trough excessive meat eating, car use, and other energy wastes.
  2. Increase carbon fixation through (re)forrestation, preservation of existing forrests
  3. promoting the development, installation and use of renewable energies or pushing elected politicians to do so.
  4. Promoting the development of nuclear fusion or pushing elected politicians to do so.
1. Most of the population cuts down on car use and energy to save money, and probably most acting accordingly folks aren't vegetarians.
2. Doesn't really apply to most of the population. Except probably most people will plant a sapling somewhere if they're given one.
3 and 4. Vote for Democrats like AOC. Which is pretty much the lion's share of "acting accordingly".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
LINK

As snow and rain showers moved across the Texas Panhandle early Thursday, a wildfire grew into the state’s largest on record, with fears it could again spread rapidly when hot and windy weather returns this weekend.

The Smokehouse Creek fire had burned 1,050,000 acres in Texas by early Thursday morning, and had also spread across 25,000 acres into Oklahoma, the Texas A&M Forest Service said. Another fire, the 687 Reamer fire, had also spread into the footprint of the Smokehouse Creek fire.

The fires killed one person, an 83-year-old woman in the town of Stinnett, Tex., the Associated Press reported.

Fueling the Smokehouse Creek were abnormal winter heat that set records across the Lone Star State, plus strong winds as a cold front approached in recent days. Temperatures surged into the 80s and 90s across the state early this week, including a high of 82 in Amarillo on Monday.
I guess there’s too many gays and not enough guns?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Another thread that's basically about climate change belief and climate change denial. As if enough average people being climate change believers would have prevented it from happening.
It would in democracy enthusiast countries. That’s how it works.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would in democracy enthusiast countries. That’s how it works.
It would if they were all willing to give up everything that produces too much carbon. All talk no action.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,366.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I guess there’s too many gays and not enough guns?
Or, too many guns and not enough gays? Or, two many guns in the hands of gays?

Or, you know, Texas is unseasonably dry and warm as a consequence of climate heating so that any grass-fire, however small, spreads quickly and widely in the slightest breeze.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
  • Informative
Reactions: Whyayeman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,543.00
Faith
Pentecostal
But it is not about belief. It is about observations over many years and properly drawn inferences.

The climate has heated. The oceans have heated.
Of course they have. They've been doing that since the ice age ended. There's nothing we can do to stop it or prevent it. It's nature taking it's course. Welcome to the planet.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,366.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's nature taking it's course.
It is the accelerating greenhouse effect of rising levels of carbon dioxide.

The natural part is that additional carbon dioxide affects the global temperature causing ice caps to melt and the ocean temperature to rise which in turn releases dissolved carbon dioxide. This increases the effect.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,543.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It is the accelerating greenhouse effect of rising levels of carbon dioxide.

The natural part is that additional carbon dioxide affects the global temperature causing ice caps to melt and the ocean temperature to rise which in turn releases dissolved carbon dioxide. This increases the effect.
That's what the man caused climate change proponents want you to believe. I don't believe it.

I do believe climate change has been happening since the end of the ice age. It's a natural phenomenon and we can't do anything about it except figure out ways to adapt to it. We aren't going to stop it.

Upvote 0