✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The student body didn't vote.

The use of the term "unsafe" is the height of cowardice. It is another in a long line of terms employed by the fascist left to end debate and silence any opposition. Anyone threatened by a moment of silence suffers from delusions of some form.
Maybe not delusions, but definitely has some issues. What was it Obama said about that movie where Kim Jung Un was assassinated...? "Some people need to be offended"?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe not delusions, but definitely has some issues. What was it Obama said about that movie where Kim Jung Un was assassinated...? "Some people need to be offended"?

Careful, KC -- you just agreed with Obama on something; some on the Right might be offended that you're giving him credit.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Wow, how dim is this guy defending this resolution?

We shouldn't have moments of silence for 9/11 because some people misuse them in order to propagate Islamophobia.

Let's apply this logic somewhere else, shall we:

"We shouldn't have Islam because some people misused it in order to commit terrorism".

Oh wait, that's racist.

I mean, does this guy seriously want to be playing this card when Trump is in the wings with his totally-not-the-star-of-david list? There are actual threats to the liberty of all Muslims out there, and he's worrying about this.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

We shouldn't have moments of silence for 9/11 because some people misuse them in order to propagate Islamophobia.

"We shouldn't have Islam because some people misused it in order to commit terrorism".

Oh wait, that's racist.

I mean, does this guy seriously want to be playing this card when Trump is in the wings with his totally-not-the-star-of-david list? There are actual threats to the liberty of all Muslims out there, and he's worrying about this.

Great strategy, eh? Keep the masses straining at gnats, and they'll never notice the camel you make them swallow...

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Great strategy, eh? Keep the masses straining at gnats, and they'll never notice the camel you make them swallow...

Wouldn't be possible without their useful idiots like the students who voted on this.

If anything, they are making Trump's rationale look viable. If it's ok to treat one meme this way, why not another?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't be possible without their useful idiots like the students who voted on this.

The students built the molehill -- look to the ones making a mountain out of it...

If anything, they are making Trump's rationale look viable. If it's ok to treat one meme this way, why not another?

Trump's rationale was always viable; history's shown it work before... to catastrophic effect.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
The students built the molehill -- look to the ones making a mountain out of it...

It is of course entirely possible to be concerned about both overweening PC culture on campus and the thought of an impending President Trump.

Trump's rationale was always viable; history's shown it work before... to catastrophic effect.

Sorry, I meant "morally" viable, for want of a better term. Practically speaking, you are of course sadly completely right....

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is of course entirely possible to be concerned about both overweening PC culture on campus and the thought of an impending President Trump.

True -- these are two separate problems. You do hear a lot of this touchy-feely nonsense coming from a few colleges; the pendulum will swing back soon enough.

As for Trump, well... he's made a public show glorifying the thoughts and ideas that plenty of people would've otherwise been ashamed to admit in public... let us hope that pendulum swings back before November.

Sorry, I meant "morally" viable, for want of a better term. Practically speaking, you are of course sadly completely right....

Morality in politics? Don't expect much beyond lip service...

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ran away, eh?

Funny, NYC doesn't seem the least bit "conquered." Maybe if you still lived in the area, you'd see that.

Means nothing to me -- why are you so afraid?

No don't live there. Been living mostly in hostile (Muslim) locations outside the US. That "business" is over now and live in wonderful Texas now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Oh wait, that's racist.

You're describing the worldview of the modern left/authoritarian. " we shouldn't have X because someone might misuse them ".

It's pretty sad that since people actually think like the character in the OP. The hard part to discern: is it stupidity, or evil? I'm tempted to say the latter, because I doubt the character would buy into " we shouldn't have Islam because since people... ". I infer that the cause of this guy's bizarre approach is the oikophobia so common among these types. What are your thoughts on that?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I infer that the cause of this guy's bizarre approach is the oikophobia so common among these types. What are your thoughts on that?

(scratches head) The person quoted in the article, or someone else? I just wanted to be sure.

In psychiatry, oikophobia or ecophobia is an aversion to home surroundings. It can also be used more generally to mean an abnormal fear (a phobia) of the home, or of the contents of a house ("fear of household appliances, equipment, bathtubs, household chemicals, and other common objects in the home").

lol I had to actually look that word up. Who has the abnormal fear of the home?

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
You're describing the worldview of the modern left/authoritarian. " we shouldn't have X because someone might misuse them ".

Which most of these chumps don't seem to realise is an argument against any group, not just the ones they think it's fashionable to hate on.

It's pretty sad that since people actually think like the character in the OP. The hard part to discern: is it stupidity, or evil? I'm tempted to say the latter, because I doubt the character would buy into " we shouldn't have Islam because since people... ". I infer that the cause of this guy's bizarre approach is the oikophobia so common among these types. What are your thoughts on that?

I've no idea what the root cause of this is. I don't know much about the oikophobia conceit beyond skimming a piece by James Taranto earlier (and some of this examples weren't amazing IMO) but I think there is definitely a tendency to define Western, predominantly (and historically) white countries in inherently bad ways - inherently oppressive, inherently colonialist. This is just a racial stereotype with a fancy hat on it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No don't live there. Been living mostly in hostile (Muslim) locations outside the US. That "business" is over now and live in wonderful Texas now.

Well, that explains why you thought NYC was "conquered."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

My Shalom

We're The Christians The Devil Warned You About!
Nov 26, 2015
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being these students are older than that of being juveniles, and they're in a higher education institution I'm sure they'll get over it.
9-11 was offensive to Americans. That these students don't see that should give pause and afford the question, what the heck are they teaching in ultra-liberal colleges these days?
Remembering 9-11 is offensive to Muslims! That's about as warped an ideology that can ever pass from the lips of somebody's child.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've no idea what the root cause of this is. I don't know much about the oikophobia conceit beyond skimming a piece by James Taranto earlier (and some of this examples weren't amazing IMO) but I think there is definitely a tendency to define Western, predominantly (and historically) white countries in inherently bad ways - inherently oppressive, inherently colonialist. This is just a racial stereotype with a fancy hat on it.

A big part of it, I suspect, stems from the realization that our history is largely whitewashed to cut out the less-than-noble events... now this is nothing new, of course -- every culture writes its history to its advantage; how else do you preserve nationalism? But there's an understandable backlash -- people who realize they've been lied to become suspicious... some of them take it to extremes...

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A big part of it, I suspect, stems from the realization that our history is largely whitewashed to cut out the less-than-noble events... now this is nothing new, of course -- every culture writes its history to its advantage; how else do you preserve nationalism? But there's an understandable backlash -- people who realize they've been lied to become suspicious... some of them take it to extremes...

I have heard of the less than noble events all my life, and I'm old. You hear some aspects more than others of course, and then you learn good and bad things as you get older. Sadly, today we can't grasp that at times when you look at history you must also deal with the mindset of the majority at the time. People can't seem to do that, and claim its justification for a understandable backlash.

You do use the mindset to a point in order to grow, and progress a human beings. When do people acknowledge that is part of progress? Sadly, today I don't think they wish to be capable of that. It seems they just wish to be angry instead, and I don't understand that at all.

Its part of the process of being human.

If all we wish to do is hold things against dead people of the past, because they felt - with good intentions most of the time - that was part of keeping things together in the best way possible? Than you will have nothing in the past, and no good humans that did things to advance this country - or any country for that matter - to learn from and advance from their ideas. Pretty soon you will be isolated, because humans fail all the time. It's the nature of being human.

I remember some of the junk that schools pumped into us as children, and its pretty much laughable at my age now. It was deemed the 'think to do' at the time. I remember NOT buying it 100%, and I know many of my friends that felt the same way. We laugh about it now, and acknowledge our gut was right. Yet, to be more modern I suppose I should label them, stereotype them, yell and feel angst towards them. I know the purpose now, and I place it in context. I still don't agree with their decisions, but at that time in history I can understand WHY they did it that way. lol very though I still think it was stupid!

I suppose if people wish to get angry and resentful they can, but to call it understandable? I'm not sure I can go that far.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I suppose if people wish to get angry and resentful they can, but to call it understandable? I'm not sure I can go that far.

Understandable... not justifiable.

Upvote 0