So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well it is kind of getting old. The French seem to be past it. Are you French?
No I'm not. I changed my AV to show solidarity. I'll change it to something else eventually.

Chalk and cheese.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Funny that this university action did end up offending....

people like you.

I'm not offended by what they're saying, nor am I offended by the idea that they might disagree with me...that's fine.

What I am bothered by, is this growing notion that peoples' feelings trump freedom of expression/speech.

Why is it that people seem to think they can pick and choose when educational institutions have to adhere to constitutional principles?

They have no problem viewing a school as a State Actor when the topic is a picture of a deity hanging on the wall. In those cases, all we hear about is "The school is funded by tax dollars, 1st amendment, separation of church and state, etc...", yet in other matters, the 1st amendment doesn't seem to carry as much weight...why is that?

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's more like conservative ignore cops unlawfully killing citizens without consequence while one citizen killing a cop and they cry "there's a war on police".
Don't blame the conservatives for liberal hatred toward white cops while ignoring black killing blacks. Conservatives do not ignore cops unlawfully killing citizens like this example:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/la-dad-hands-cops-shot-son-6-lawyer-article-1.2428316

Liberals would cry racism like a baby if the skin colors of this case was reversed.

Upvote 0

Christian Unity

Nov 20, 2015
✟15,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are 10 pages of this thread where it's been discussed. You can read it.

And no where on these ten pages can I find anything definitive. Everybody is posting from their own perspective. You seem to have missed the portion where any reference to Islam or the Islamic perpetrators of 9/11 will not be included in the moment of silence. Not allowing that campus to observe a moment of silence to remember one of the most horrific days of this Country's history is doing more to promote Islamophobia.

Upvote 0

Christian Unity

Nov 20, 2015
✟15,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do the students have to remember? 9/11 was 14 years ago; most of the students were barely past kindergarten when it happened. And they're right - it often IS used as a means of perpetuation anti-Islamic and anti-Arab bigotry. What purpose will this moment of silence really serve?

Are you suggesting we should stop remembering the Dec 7th, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor because it might trigger anti- Japanese sentiment? After all, only a few were around for that

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some Muslims in NYC seem to want to remember 9/11 everyday. They proposed building a mosque near ground zero.

What nonsense.

I would not handle the matter as such. Are you arguing over the resident's right to freely express their views?

The discussion at that point was about whether people equated all Muslims with violent Muslims. I was demonstrating that some, in fact, do.

Like the university sanctioned Muslim call to prayers which did offend the majority of the student body.

Again, source?

You need to be flabbergasted because none of the sources you cite show bodily harm to Muslims, death, or Muslim property seized.

Wow, look at those goalposts being moved. You said, "I'm sorry, but our universities today are looking for tension where there is none." You didn't say anything about bodily harm or death.

How is this 'widespread?'

How do you define "widespread"?

So now freedom of speech/expression is considered bigotry?

It can be, sure.

And no where on these ten pages can I find anything definitive. Everybody is posting from their own perspective.

Read the article in the OP and follow the links from it to the original news stories. The concern wasn't offending Muslims; it was fueling additional anti-Muslim bigotry.

You seem to have missed the portion where any reference to Islam or the Islamic perpetrators of 9/11 will not be included in the moment of silence.

So?

Not allowing that campus to observe a moment of silence to remember one of the most horrific days of this Country's history is doing more to promote Islamophobia.

They didn't prohibit the entire campus from observing it. This was the student council choosing not to enact a moment of silence.

Are you suggesting we should stop remembering the Dec 7th, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor because it might trigger anti- Japanese sentiment? After all, only a few were around for that

AFAIK, we don't have a problem with anti-Japanese bigotry in this country, so I don't see much risk of that.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What nonsense.

The discussion at that point was about whether people equated all Muslims with violent Muslims. I was demonstrating that some, in fact, do.

Again, source?

Wow, look at those goalposts being moved. You said, "I'm sorry, but our universities today are looking for tension where there is none." You didn't say anything about bodily harm or death.

How do you define "widespread"?

It can be, sure.

Read the article in the OP and follow the links from it to the original news stories. The concern wasn't offending Muslims; it was fueling additional anti-Muslim bigotry.

So?

They didn't prohibit the entire campus from observing it. This was the student council choosing not to enact a moment of silence.

AFAIK, we don't have a problem with anti-Japanese bigotry in this country, so I don't see much risk of that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9de6d2-9dc8-11e4-bcfb-059ec7a93ddc_story.html

http://www.westernjournalism.com/michigan-school-holds-islamic-call-to-prayer/

Dhimmitude is not something our college and HS students should embrace.

American liberalism seems compatible with such.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

There is a difference between not remembering (forgetting) and commemorating something excessively. It has been a long time since I've been anywhere where there was a moment of silence about Pearl Harbor. So long ago I don't remember any. Well except for when I was at the memorial over the remains of the Arizona in Pearl Harbor. A place most appropriate to remember the dead.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

That's what I thought. The story in the OP is about the University of Minnesota, not Duke. You originally said, "these same students who nix the moment of silence (yes silence no one is praying or saying things) also approved a Muslim call to prayer to show solidarity with Islam."

So, it's NOT the same students. I also couldn't find anything saying that the call to prayer was either sanctioned by the Duke student government or done in order to "show solidarity with Islam." What I found was that it was initiated by the Duke Muslim Student Association and they were invited by the Duke Chapel.

https://today.duke.edu/2015/01/adhanannouncement

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ke-university-highlights-divisions-solidarity

Do you have anything to support your claim that it was done "to show solidarity with Islam?"

Lol, fantastic. I'm gonna guess you didn't read that entire article, did you?

Dhimmitude is not something our college and HS students should embrace.

American liberalism seems compatible with such.

Judging by your example, American conservatism seems very compatible with excessive melodrama, shifting goalposts, and twisting of truth.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny that this university action did end up offending....

people like you.

I would rather offend the PC crowd who believe it is more important to have a meaningless moment of silence then offend people actually living.

I feel bad for those who lost their lives and I feel bad for their loved ones, but a moment of silence does nothing.

Why not have a moment when we send the families some baked goods? Sounds more productive....

It maybe meaningless to you, but to the people it effected? I'm not so sure you can speak for them. I mean are you suggesting you do?

Your more productive bake goods maybe meaningless to them, but I suppose we don't ask them...because they need to be told instead. Its been decided already - bake goods awesome, moment of silence meaningless.

I knew many WWII veterans, and those moments and ceremonials meant alot to them. They would take them over your suggested bake goods any day.

How about we deal with the reason put forth?!

“The passing of this resolution might make a space that is unsafe for students on campus even more unsafe,” said Algadi. “Islamophobia and racism fueled through that are alive and well.”

This type of thing isn't going to make 'unsafe' places any more safe. People that are fueled by Islamophobia and racism aren't going to disappear by removing what means alot to many others. What you see as a meaningless moment removed doesn't erase that either.

I mean lets face facts today - if you want to protest the moment? You can. If you want to talk instead of being silent? You can. Just because someone over a loud speaker says we are going to have a moment of silence doesn't mean people are going to do it today. They can claim tolerance, and be as pig headed as they want to...and then claim their reality is called tolerance. Problem is? They can't force their reality on others, and tolerance means more than what they claim it does. It's suppose to go both ways.

I remember it (9/11) changing our world, and its so different now compared to the past in so many ways. Also, now we now have a large group of people that hate (terrorists) just because we breath and live differently than they do. They hate the world - not just our country. They have been brainwashed to think they will bring some change to this world, and if they do succeed? Chances are those that have this moment of silence will be killed, and the 'unsafe' people on campus wouldn't fair any better. I mean these terrorists are irrational, and might think they aren't 'Muslim' enough...and would kill them off like they have so many others of their same 'faith'. I put it in quotes, because these terrorists don't follow any faith Muslim or otherwise.

Removing some meaningless moment doesn't erase what she/he claims is the problem. It will change no hearts. You can complain, shame, and bully people into changing - yet the human race has never changed under those conditions. It sadly shows people are to uncomfortable to discuss things, and realize their POV isn't the only one that counts. This person is saying the moment of silence is encouraging racism, and they are saying that out of their own ignorance.

Yet, today people are to lazy to work towards real solutions to make this world better - not perfect, because it never will be - and learn to celebrate progress instead of trying to hide it under the offending moment they dreamed up for the moment. It blows me away that people seem to think that this accomplishes anything, and their group think will either.

It may make Algadi uncomfortable, but many things in life will. That goes for everyone. Humans will always disagree, and unless you learn to deal with that reality? lol you will never feel safe!

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Some Muslims in NYC seem to want to remember 9/11 everyday. They proposed building a mosque near ground zero.

You think that was because of 9/11?

And the mosque wasn't just "proposed," it was built and has been in business for quite some time. Are you scared yet?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You think that was because of 9/11?

And the mosque wasn't just "proposed," it was built and has been in business for quite some time. Are you scared yet?

Don't live there anymore. Building Muslim centers and mosques in cities conquered in the name of Islam is nothing new.

If Dhimmitude suits you it's your life.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pretty sure obummer is proud of these students.

No doubt.

The Dhimmi in chief is exercising his silent jihad against the US.

I can understand people voting for him the first time (I did not), but by 2012 sane people could see what he was up to. Yet enmasse they went out and openly and enthusiastically voted for Dhimmitude.

Reactions: GQ Chris
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what I thought. The story in the OP is about the University of Minnesota, not Duke. You originally said, "these same students who nix the moment of silence (yes silence no one is praying or saying things) also approved a Muslim call to prayer to show solidarity with Islam."

So, it's NOT the same students. I also couldn't find anything saying that the call to prayer was either sanctioned by the Duke student government or done in order to "show solidarity with Islam." What I found was that it was initiated by the Duke Muslim Student Association and they were invited by the Duke Chapel.

https://today.duke.edu/2015/01/adhanannouncement

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ke-university-highlights-divisions-solidarity

Do you have anything to support your claim that it was done "to show solidarity with Islam?"

Lol, fantastic. I'm gonna guess you didn't read that entire article, did you?

Judging by your example, American conservatism seems very compatible with excessive melodrama, shifting goalposts, and twisting of truth.
[/QUOTE]

Is Islam something you would like our schools and communities to submit to?

I hope not. But it seems the younger people are doing so in the name of "tolerance." A one way tolerance.

True tolerance would be to honor the student's request for a moment of silence and then let Muslims occupy the 'safe zone' well if they felt unsafe someone was having bad thoughts about them.

Because we know there is widespread violence against Muslims in the US...wait no there isn't. So the next best thing for progressives to do is to mind read and claim the thoughts are there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
College Students Say Remembering 9/11 Is Offensive to Muslims
How a proposed moment of silence to honor 9/11 victims became the latest victim of the would-be despots of America’s campuses.
The everything-is-offensive brand of campus activism has struck a new low: Students at the University of Minnesota killed a proposed moment of silence for 9/11 victims due to concerns—insulting, childish concerns—that Muslim students would be offended.

Has it truly come to this? Is feelings-protection now such an overriding goal that completely unreasonable fears win out, even if they have no basis in reality? Can we not even have a single moment to recognize legitimate victims of terrorism without worrying that someone will feel marginalized on campus?

Theo Menon, a Minnesota Student Association representative and member of the College Republicans, realized that the university wasn’t doing anything to memorialize 9/11; on Oct. 6, he introduced an MSA proposal to do just that.

“The passing of this resolution might make a space that is unsafe for students on campus even more unsafe,” said Algadi. “Islamophobia and racism fueled through that are alive and well.”

To be clear, the resolution did not refer to Islam. It did not impugn Muslim students, or other Muslims. It did not require anyone to contemplate the fact that the terrorists responsible for 9/11 were Muslims. It said nothing about whether Islam itself is to blame for global terrorism. It merely stated that 9/11 has had a lasting effect on many students, and ought to be reflected upon for a single moment, once a year.

And yet, in an email obtained by The Washington Post, Algadi expressed concerns that efforts to recognize 9/11 are sometimes thinly-veiled expressions of Islamophobia.

Believe it or now, Algadi was not alone in his opinion—a majority of student government representatives sided with him, voting down the resolution in a 36-23 vote this month. There would be no moment of silence at UMN on Sept. 11, 2016, if students had their way.

Really???
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...remembering-9-11-is-offensive-to-muslims.html

I am convinced given reactions on this thread we may need to set up a safe zone thread.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
No doubt.

The Dhimmi in chief is exercising his silent jihad against the US.

I can understand people voting for him the first time (I did not), but by 2012 sane people could see what he was up to. Yet enmasse they went out and openly and enthusiastically voted for Dhimmitude.

Interesting and on target observation. I too never voted for this idiot. He totally supports his ISIS brothers.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Don't live there anymore.

Ran away, eh?

Building Muslim centers and mosques in cities conquered in the name of Islam is nothing new.

Funny, NYC doesn't seem the least bit "conquered." Maybe if you still lived in the area, you'd see that.

If Dhimmitude suits you it's your life.

Means nothing to me -- why are you so afraid?

Upvote 0