Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Exactly. The moment of silence can only make the one being silent feel better. Having said that, anybody can have their own moment of silence any day and at any time if they believe it will do them good. Why get so PC on a university if it does not share the value of a moment of silence like they do?

This is very bizarre to me and incredibly trivial.

I agree with you. If they want to do something productive and help improve the lives of the victim's families, then they should put their words to actions.

It would be a lot better to do rather than standing around complaining about other people and demanding that everyone comply to have a 9/11 moment of silence.

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So are we to stop them because a specific ethnic or religious group might be offended? I don't think so.

That's lovely. But that's not what happened.

Where is this widespread or even hint of anti-Islamic bigotry? Is someone a bigot to Islam if they ask nicely that they stop killing innocent civilians?

Seriously?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/10/anti-islam-protest-phoenix-islamic-community-center

I think a lot of this tension would cease if we actually heard from or saw in large numbers these peaceful Muslims out protesting the radical Muslim types.

They're out there. You just have to keep your eyes open.

I'm sorry, but our universities today are looking for tension where there is none

I'm flabbergasted that you think that there's no anti-Islamic tension in this country. Even the bigots will admit that there is tension.

and ignoring the large elephants in the room like illegal immigration which causes them to not get a job out of college.

Illegal immigrants compete for jobs with college grads? Really?

You have to remember...these same students who nix the moment of silence (yes silence no one is praying or saying things) also approved a Muslim call to prayer to show solidarity with Islam.

Source?

What's the 'issue?'

Fueling anti-Islamic sentiment, not offending muslims.

Then please, help me understand what happened.

There are 10 pages of this thread where it's been discussed. You can read it.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except that that isn't true. A lot of people HAVE said that it reflects all of Islam. Just in this thread, in post #44, Cerberus~Infinite said, "Goodness forbid we honor the victims of crazy muslims lest we offend other crazy muslims." On top of just not understanding the point of the objection, he's basically equating all Muslims with the terrorists.

My experience with Muslims in Middle East Muslim countries is that there are quite a many peace loving families. Families who want to work, mind their business, go to Mosque on Friday evening, do their prayers, have their festivals...etc. Problem is they have no power at all. These peaceful Muslims from my observation fall into three categories: The first is they die trying to resist the evil of the radicals; the second, they accept servitude to the radicals (basically keep quiet) and third they find their way to the West. With the three approaches I mentioned those Muslim nations will never change. The radical Jihadists will always impose their will on them through murder, rape and intimidation.

Now on category 3 above, those who come to the West, they seem to keep the same mentality even though they are in a Western country. They don't speak up or speak out when the Jihadist attack Westerners, or when a radical American Muslim chants death to America ;and in some cases they do things like organize groups to silence any speech on Muhammad or their religion.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well what was it, then? Why does the University of Minnesota suddenly need moment's silence for a national tragedy that happened long enough ago half the undergrads probably don't remember it?

Why do you still have your Frenchie support profile pic? When will be a suitable time for you to take it down if ever?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
9/11 was its own equivalent of the Paris attacks. Like those, it was a major terrorist attack that ended up shaping domestic and foreign policy, for better or for worse, and so it's a significant event in history. Flippantly disregarding it and acting as if it never happened probably helps jihadists much more than saying the phrase radical Islam.

Some Muslims in NYC seem to want to remember 9/11 everyday. They proposed building a mosque near ground zero.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For remembering 9/11/2001, someone should request a moment of sound. Then those who are offended by it will object and demand that it be a moment of silence.

Like the university sanctioned Muslim call to prayers which did offend the majority of the student body.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good luck with that. You can also defeat Starbuck's evil plot against Christmas by ordering coffee in the name "Mary Christmas"

Hmm...did not think of that. Will get a grande later today and tell them my name is Jesús.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Good luck with that. You can also defeat Starbuck's evil plot against Christmas by ordering coffee in the name "Mary Christmas"

I know this is off topic, but I was astounded at the suggestion that Christians should lie and say their name is Merry Christmas when going into Starbucks to buy coffee. I guess lying is acceptable to help defend Christmas against the imaginary war against it. According to Christians, Christmas is suppose to be focused on Jesus. The irony.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds more like they don't teach what you wish they would learn. Perhaps this is your chance for you to get a job at a University and teach them what you want them to learn?

BTW, do you even know what they are teaching at college? Or are you guessing?

Why yes I have a very good understanding of what they are teaching at universities today. "Tolerance for me but not for thee", and "How Piltdown man dealt with gender neutrality." Did I get it right? :)

No I am not looking to force my ideas of a curriculum on younsters going to college. I want them to get the same good education and experience I did. Good universities prepare their students for life after mommy and daddy's savings account and credit card---Independence. Good universities don't teach the students 'what' to think, but 'how' to think clearly and independently. What we have in full force which began in the 60's are little leftist indoctrination camps.

Get off the quad in your 'safe zones' and get back to your statistics and economics courses. Take some time in an old library and read older books on world history and America. That's my advice.

I also notice pre-med and engineer students really don't have much time to get involved in these protests. Guess they are the only ones with a workload.

So my advice to parents is if your kids are planning on going to college for a hard science, engineering, medicine etc. send them for that. If they are going for the softer degrees, save your money have them do it online and have them get to work to learn some independence.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this is off topic, but I was astounded at the suggestion that Christians should lie and say their name is Merry Christmas when going into Starbucks to buy coffee. I guess lying is acceptable to help defend Christmas against the imaginary war against it. According to Christians, Christmas is suppose to be focused on Jesus. The irony.

No irony. Study Christian theology a bit more.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
does a moment of silence do any good?

Does saying "Bless you" after somebody sneezes do any good?

Well first "Bless you" would in my estimation create a dangling modifier situation. Who is doing the blessing? You? God? Chance plus a whole lot of time? So that's the first problem.

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All I will say to this is, you are talking to the wrong person about forgetting their history or the history of those who were hell bent to eradicate them.

I was hoping someone would understand the history of the Islamic Jihad against the Levant and Europe. Went on for over 400 years before the West responded.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you. If they want to do something productive and help improve the lives of the victim's families, then they should put their words to actions.

It would be a lot better to do rather than standing around complaining about other people and demanding that everyone comply to have a 9/11 moment of silence.

Who was demanding? Obviously the students in question brought it up for a vote. The results of the vote is not what is concerning BUT the reasoning behind why the proposal should not go forward ('might' offend Muslims). You keep missing that point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's lovely. But that's not what happened.

Seriously?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/10/anti-islam-protest-phoenix-islamic-community-center

They're out there. You just have to keep your eyes open.

I'm flabbergasted that you think that there's no anti-Islamic tension in this country. Even the bigots will admit that there is tension.

Illegal immigrants compete for jobs with college grads? Really?

Source?

Fueling anti-Islamic sentiment, not offending muslims.

There are 10 pages of this thread where it's been discussed. You can read it.

You need to be flabbergasted because none of the sources you cite show bodily harm to Muslims, death, or Muslim property seized. How is this 'widespread?' So now freedom of speech/expression is considered bigotry?

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,550.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Why yes I have a very good understanding of what they are teaching at universities today. "Tolerance for me but not for thee", and "How Piltdown man dealt with gender neutrality." Did I get it right? :)
You say you have an understanding, announce the understanding then ask if you got it right? You claim to have the knowledge. I think you posted an opinion, however I do not agree....

No I am not looking to force my ideas of a curriculum on younsters going to college. I want them to get the same good education and experience I did. Good universities prepare their students for life after mommy and daddy's savings account and credit card---Independence. Good universities don't teach the students 'what' to think, but 'how' to think clearly and independently. What we have in full force which began in the 60's are little leftist indoctrination camps.

Get off the quad in your 'safe zones' and get back to your statistics and economics courses. Take some time in an old library and read older books on world history and America. That's my advice.

I also notice pre-med and engineer students really don't have much time to get involved in these protests. Guess they are the only ones with a workload.

So my advice to parents is if your kids are planning on going to college for a hard science, engineering, medicine etc. send them for that. If they are going for the softer degrees, save your money have them do it online and have them get to work to learn some independence.

Sounds like you think you know but can't get past complaining about colleges and college kids, while not wanting to do anything about it.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You say you have an understanding, announce the understanding then ask if you got it right? You claim to have the knowledge. I think you posted an opinion, however I do not agree....

Sounds like you think you know but can't get past complaining about colleges and college kids, while not wanting to do anything about it.

Are you trying to mind-read and apply attributes to me?

What makes you think that I am not doing something about it. Maybe that is why I know so much about the dismal state of college education today. For the past 25 years I was the 'recipient' of recent college graduates coming into my profession. With each passing year, they know less and I and others in my profession teach, coach and mentor more.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why do you still have your Frenchie support profile pic? When will be a suitable time for you to take it down if ever?
Yes, because something that happened a week ago is just like something that happened 15 years ago.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, because something that happened a week ago is just like something that happened 15 years ago.

Well it is kind of getting old. The French seem to be past it. Are you French?

Upvote 0