Miraculous Icon of Sitka in Michigan on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It will be at the Romanian Monastery of the Dormition of the Theotokos in Rives Junction, Michigan (near Jackson). Here's the directions from their website. Below are the details from the website.
sitkaicon.jpeg
Thursday, October 6

5:00 PM Vespers and

Akathist Hymn

Friday, October 7

8:00 AM Divine Liturgy and

Service of Intercession

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Xpycoctomos, I am tempted to go just to meet you. I have to be to work in downtown Jackson at 6:00 so I could have gone at 5:00 and stayed about half an hour. I hate to miss work because that is a big loss of what little income I have. (About half of a week's income).

Send me a pm if you would like to have coffee before the Thursday service at a local resturant. There is a Bob Evans right off the highway that you would be taking (at I-94 and 127 , also called M-50.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
:( I am so disappointed. St. John (Maximovitch) the Wonderworker's in Atlanta "will host a night of prayer, vigils, akathists, paraclesis, etc., in honor of the miracle working Sitka icon of the Mother of God This icon will be in the Atlanta area on October 28." And I will be OUT OF TOWN on for work!!!

I am anxious to hear from those who were able to go in their locations.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I went to DL today and saw this Icon.

I was to go also to vespers but my back went into spasms. I prayed and prayed that I would be able to go to DL today. When I woke this morning, my back did not hurt as much and I was able to not even take medication and to go to the service and receive Communion.

The Icon is beautiful, but it was the feeling in the room that was amaziing. You could tell that we were in the presence of Holiness. People were so reverant and many had tears in their eyes.

I noticed that there were more women then men and that almost every one of us had headcoverings on. I know that is in a different thread. But it was the first time I have ever been to a large service with lots of people and so many scarves! Only two women present did not have headcoverings all about 40 or so women (I'm guessing because of course, I did not count.)

They did a holy unction like service ... with the oil at the end. People prostrated in front of the Icon and everyone took there time. There was NO RUSHING at all. I was amazed at how people were not rushing to leave.

I stayed in the room after almost everyone left and just sat and prayed silently. (I admit I sat ... I still hurt.) One of the monks that travel with the Icon went up to Her and after prostrating, knelt and put his forehead on the bottom of the glass.

So, I figured this was allowed. It felt as if I was wrapped in the arms of the Theotokos.

Please go to one of these services if they come anywhere near you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.