The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My friend @ewq1938 , who recently made a very compelling argument regarding the variance between the genealogies in the Gospels According to Saints Matthew and Luke, asked me a question, which I answered, but then I found myself compelled to share my thoughts on seminaries and the formation of priests. Many of my friends who have been through seminary, such as @Paidiske , @GreekOrthodox , @Deegie , @bekkilyn , might have divergent opinions, or they might find this post rather too long as we are all I think quite busy preparing for Christmas Eve, which for us on the Gregorian calendar is this Friday (we should remember in our prayers the roughly 350 million Christians in Ethiopia, Eritrea, Georgia, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Egypt and the Holy Land, who are on the Old Calendar).

Now, for those unaware of seminaries or the details of how one becomes a pastor or priest (what we call discerning one’s vocation, i.e. are you suitable, and is your calling real, and formation, the process of, in humility allowing oneself to be prepared to undertake the vital duties of being a pastor, a responsibility historically called “the cure of souls”, to start with: There are a number of seminaries and bible colleges, which are usually specific to a denomination or group of denominations. In some denominations, a seminary degree is a prerequisite for ordination to be what the New Testament and the early church, and I, will call a presbyter, to avoid confusion (in different churches, they may be called elders, which os the literal translation of presbyter, or priest, which is an Anglicization of the Greek presbyteros, or they may be called pastors, reverends, preachers or ministers*), and in most of the mainline Protestant churches, this is usually an MDiv from a divinity school from an accredited university associated in some respects with that denomination. Other seminaries and denominations offer and accept a BDiv (for example, Holy Trinity Seminary, which operates alongside Holy Trinity Monastery, in Jordanville, New York, offers a five year Bachelors in Divinity and both complexes are operated by the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR).

ROCOR however does not require this degree; they offer an online distance learning program which one can complete in six months. In contrast, the Orthodox Church in America, or OCA, which at one time was, along with what is now ROCOR, part of the Russian Orthodox Church before the Communist takeover, which caused a fracture over how to respond in both the Russian and Armenian Orthodox Churches, a seminary degree is required, although I believe a BDiv is offered. The OCA has three seminaries, but the most prestigious is St. Vladimir’s Seminary in Yonkers, New York, which offers MDivs and other degrees for all the Orthodox churches, even the Oriental Orthodox (Syriacs, Copts, Armenians, Ethiopians and Indians), which are not formally in communion with the Eastern Orthodox (Greeks, Russians, Romanians, Serbians, Bulgarians, Antiochians, Georgians, Ukrainians, Belarussians, and other ethnicities).

So, for someone wanting to be a Methodist elder for example, there are divinity schools at the numerous Methodist-founded universities. Unitarians go to Harvard, which used to be Congregational, and it is amusing to think that the extremely left wing Gnostic head of Harvard Divinity School, Karen King, is in direct succession to Cotton Mather, who was a major participant in the horrific murders known as the Salem Witch Hunt, in which young women and men were hanged on the basis of “spectral evidence.”

Some seminaries are attached to universities, like Yale Divinity School, whereas others, such as the aforementioned Orthodox seminaries and some Anglican seminaries, such as Nashotah House, considered to be the last conservative seminary with ties to the Episcopal Church USA, and St. Joseph of Arimathea, are freestanding institutions (or in the case of Holy Trinity in Jordanville, attached to a monastery, which is ironic, because the university as we know it emerged from Benedictine monasticism). On that note, different Roman Catholic religious orders like the Benedictines, Dominicans, Franciscans and Jesuits operate universities, and these also provide them with choir monks (Benedictine monks who are also priests) and Friars (Priests who live a semi monastic lifestyle), whereas there are also diocesan seminaries which turn out secular priests (who are required to remain celibate, except some Eastern Catholic churches and in the Anglican Ordinariates).

Speaking of Bible versions, number of seminaries, but by no means all, teach Hebrew and Greek so that their graduates can read the original texts. Some focus heavily on the scriptures, liberal and conservative, albeit different aspects, while others focus more on doctrine and dogmatics, but most take a balanced approach. Training in pastoral care is a must, and some seminaries combine this with chaplaincy training. Liturgical churches do a great deal of liturgical training: the total number of hours spent learning how to do the practicum is not that large at Orthodox seminaries, but the students attend chapel daily, and receive in different seminaries what can be a very extensive musical education. For example, Holy Cross, the main Greek Orthodox seminary in North America, spends a great deal of time teaching seminarians about Byzantine Chant, including the theory, etc.

This focus on musical education is mainly an Orthodox and Eastern Catholic thing, because aside from the traditional Latin mass and some high church Anglican parishes, most Western Christian pastors no longer learn chant or chant or sing in the service, unless its to rock in the praise and worship band, which saddens me, because (a) I went to a seminary with tons of dry liberal ethics classics (“situational ethics”) and pointless speculation about who really authored the four Gospels, and when, while my Eastern and Oriental Orthodox colleagues were learning these beautiful hymns from antiquity. And as one is ordained a deacon before being a priest, the deacons have even more chanting, which is antiphonal with the choir and the priest or bishop.

However, it is the case that Orthodox presbyters and deacons (including permanent deacons, for whom there are distance learning programs) have to be able to sing, to get into an MDiv program or another program like the BDiv, and then to get ordained. Of course, there are several Orthodox churches that do not require a seminary education; most Coptic priests I was surprised to learn have degrees in accounting or engineering. I found this remarkable because the Coptic Orthodox priests are really good at preaching, probably the most consistently skillful preachers among the various churches of the East, at least in English. Rather, if a Coptic bishop selects someone in his diocese for the priesthood, he is sent to a monastery for what is called the “forty days” after the fast of our Lord in the desert, where the monks teach him the liturgy.

This model actually used to be standard throughout Christendom. The ancient and legendary catechtical schools of Alexandria and Antioch, which gave us our two basic modes of scriptural interpretation** were places of theological study, like a Jewish Yeshiva, as opposed to centers for training clergy. The seminary as we know it today was actually a product of the Counter Reformation in the Roman Catholic church, to improve training of clergy, as part of numerous internal changes they made in the wake of the Reformation, along with abandoning the practice of selling indulgences which had justifiably outraged Martin Luther. The idea caught on and quickly spread elsewhere.

However, not all clergy before the seminary were poorly educated; on the contrary, right through the Renaissance the most pervasive educated group overall among Christians were members of the clergy (we see this pattern also among their contemporary Jewish rabbis, Islamic scholars, Hindu Brahmins, Zoroastrian priests, et cetera). The reasons for this are of course obvious: literacy was required to read the sacred texts and to maintain vital records, which historically was the responsibility of the Church, as far as Christians were concerned. Additionally, older priests and even bishops would, and still do, in the eastern churches, mentor prospective clergy from their youth, and then teach them the job if they were deemed to be suitable for ordination.

In addition to a Master of Divinity (or Bachelor’s), which is the degree usually required by denominations that require a seminary education, most seminaries also offer degrees up to the Doctoral level in theology. These are a bit like degrees in human genetics or life sciences, in that the aspects that are akin to Medical School but for Pastors are omitted in favor of more time being spent studying theology. These are what you want if you desire to be a theologian, although I prefer the older term divine or scholar of theology (since I subscribe to the Early Church maxim, attributed to St. Evagrius of Pontus, that a theologian is one who prays, and one who prays is a theologian - theology is direct knowledge of God which can be encountered only through prayer, whether this is private prayer, prayerful reading of the Holy Bible, prayer in church, during services, the sacraments and at other times, and in all cases, prayer integrated into the sacramental life of the Church, for Christ said “seek and ye shall find,” “pray without ceasing” and “when two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them). Some people unfortunately apply for the wrong degree. I know of a brilliant Lutheran theologian who is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod who made the mistake of getting the Masters in Theology instead of the Masters of Divinity, only then to be refused colloquy (a permission in some Lutheran and other Protestant churches to be ordained as the pastor or assistant pastor of a local church) because the Theology degree was not intended to prepare someone for ministry, so this forced a career change on him.

In general, regardless of whether or not one goes to a seminary or receives hands on training in the old fashioned way, the common terminology for the process of training to be a presbyter is called formation. Spiritual formation is essential for good clergy, because knowledge of theology and scripture by itself is not enough; one must also, under the guidance of good experienced presbyters and/or bishops if one is in a denomination that has them, and monks and nuns if one is in a denomination that has one, in a spirit of humility cultivate the extreme patience and set aside the worldly attachments that can make one a bad pastor. Especially pride; I think we see massive pride in the worst heretics of the past two centuries, like Joseph Smith, who founded Mormonism, or Mary Baker Eddy, who founded the hyper-docetic Christian Science, or Gwen Shamblin, who founded an ostensibly Christian, anti-Trinitarian weight loss cult most recently, who sadly died in a plane crash, which is sad as I would preferred to have seen repentance (which by the grace of God sometimes comes to bad pastors, who either change their ways or resign and minister in other ways). All of the above formed religions which were counterfeit Christianity, and people died as a result, including many children. This was all due to a complete lack of prayerful spiritual formation, because these individuals just presumptuously declared themselves ministers.

There was a Russian monk, St. Silouan the Athonite, who taught that the two thoughts we should fear, and avoid, are firstly, that we are in any respect personally holy, and secondly, that we have no hope of being saved by God. This makes sense, because whatever holiness we have is due to God the Holy Spirit working in us, if we permit Him and accept His grace, helping us to become more perfect images of Christ our God, who is Himself the image of the Father, who loves us unconditionally and desires our salvation. The pastor of a flock of Christians has to represent to them the virtues of Christ, while still being a sinner, and this requires extreme humility and superabundant love. Spiritual formation helps reduce the number of narcissistic pastors who believe themselves holier-than-thou and relish berating the morality of their flock from the pulpit, or these days, the stage, who get a rush from demeaning their congregation, abusing individual members of their church, persecuting those who question them, and increasingly, with the Prosperity Gospel and other materialistic distortions of the written Word, which distort the very words of the incarnate Word, our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ, for example, the weight loss approach taken by Gwen Shamblin, enrich themselves monetarily, after the example of Simon Magus (of whom St. Irenaeus, writing in the second century, wrote that he resorted to trickery after the Holy Apostles refused to ordain him when he attempted to purchase it). Sadly, some of these bad pastors, a great many, do come from seminaries. Indeed, in the recent paedophilia scandal in the Roman Catholic Church, they were all seminary-educated.

Thus, we cannot rely on the seminary as a means of ensuring spiritual formation, although it can be used to ensure a certain standard of education in the faith. Although this can also be done successfully in other ways. I think churches should retain seminaries but reform them, making them increasingly open and accessible to the laity as a whole, like the ancient catechetical schools, and de-couple some of them from the university system, because so many universities themselves have become worldly and corrupt. Bible colleges interest me, but no liturgical church has to my knowledge opened one. I like seminaries which are standalone, and I like the idea of a BDiv, or the elimination of a prerequisite degree in a secular college (although this is still a good idea if in the process of discernment that constantly happens in seminaries, it is discerned you don’t have a vocation). In Roman Catholic seminaries, the rector can simply dismiss you at any time (Fr. Zuhlsdorf, a traditional Roman Catholic priest whose blog I enjoy, wrote an article a few years ago about the need for fellow traditional Catholics to keep their heads down at most seminaries, because of the relative ease by which the rector can remove you. This also takes us to the problem of spiritual formation of seminary faculty and leaders: it becomes a case of who shall watch the watchers?

Ultimately, there is only one answer, regardless of how presbyters are formed, to be good pastors and feed the sheep of our Lord, and that is to remember what He said, which is that “Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.”

*Despite, for purely stylistic reasons, using the word minister in the title of this thread, it can be a particularly confusing designation for a cleric because in many denominations, the title minister is used for holders of other ministries, for example, deacons and subdeacons, or lay eucharistic ministers in the Roman Catholic Church, or anyone basically who has a ministry in a church, spiritual or charitable; it gets even more confusing in countries like the UK where the Prime Minister and various other ministers comprise the executive branch of government. Even more confusing, most people aren’t immediately aware that minister actually means servant, for indeed, people with that title in government and elsewhere tend to be masters. This creates a real problem of comprehensibility with some of my beloved older translations and is a place where I have to agree with @pescador, because Matthew 20:26 in the KJV or Douai Rheims can now be misunderstood as the opposite of what was intended (although one of tje more recent traditional language bibles, the RSV, does use the word servant).

That said, ironically I grew up in a family that used that term minister exclusively, and when I visited a Lutheran church for the first time, where my great uncle was the pastor, I found the change in terminology, not confusing, but just sort of...different. Now I prefer Presbyter because I believe it is the most accurate, and because we English speakers collectively misused the word priest to refer to everyone from the holy Kohanim of ancient Israel founded by St. Aaron and continued by the likes of St. Ezra, and sadly, later, more villainous figures like Caiphus and Ananias, to the false priests and priestesses of what seems to me like the vast majority of non-Christian religions, ranging from Japanese Shinto to ancient Mesopotamian Paganism.

**Antiochene being focused on a historical-literal approach and Alexandrian being focused on a typological, prophetic and allegorical approach; the best Patristic exegetes used a careful blend of the two, whereas the most hardcore Alexandrian and Antiochian theologians, Origen and Theodore of Mopsuestia, were venerated for a time as saints, but were anathematized by the Chalcedonian churches at the decree of Emperor Justinian, and technically, the Fifth Ecumenical Council, but the Assyrian Church of the East, which does not have any seminaries yet, still venerates Theodore of Mopsuestia and many in the West still support Origen and some even venerate him. In fact, an Episcopalian lady did a beautiful Byzantine style icon of Origen.

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it weren't for the reverence, I think my preference would be pastor since it is the most expressive of the personal care involved. Of course, given human tendencies the subservience of the office has been subverted to be a position of superiority. Maintaining the great reversal is not an easy task.

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟408,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Great post, and thanks for typing all that out! I think it's helpful for people to hear some of the terminology and learn the processes often involved. It also reinforces the importance of seminary, a topic about which I tend to get on a soap-box too often.

From my perspective as a presbyter in the Episcopal Church, I have just a couple of reactions. The first is that there is a history of what I'll call informal preparation for ordination, although I'm not sure that's a fair word to use. In the past, there were what were called "local priests", who were ordained to serve in a particular congregation which is "small, isolated, remote, or distinct in respect of ethnic composition, language, or culture". They were typically nonstipendiary or very part-time at most and were expected to remain in that context, and certainly were not allowed to minister in other dioceses. Although I believe that provision is gone, the legacy is local preparation processes which still exist in many dioceses. Some places call it "reading for orders" and it involves a local course of instruction, along with mentorship. These priests are often ordained with the understanding (although no formal restriction) that it is for either part-time or nonstipendiary positions. So, long way of saying that an M.Div. is not an absolute requirement to ordination in some parts of the Episcopal Church.

I was also struck by your thoughts on the necessity of humility. I very much agree. But I wonder who can possibly go through CPE and a parish internship without feeling incredibly humble! LOL.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Re-reading your thread a question occurred to me, do you know how pentecostals handle seminary education? Given the emphasis on charisma and the distinctives of their services I'd imagine their views would be an interesting facet to explore.

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Re-reading your thread a question occurred to me, do you know how pentecostals handle seminary education? Given the emphasis on charisma and the distinctives of their services I'd imagine their views would be an interesting facet to explore.

There are Pentecostal Seminaries, for example, one run by the Church of God.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are Pentecostal Seminaries, for example, one run by the Church of God.
That seems kind of strange to me considering the chaotic theology that the charismatic movements seem to follow. I wonder if the education is as austere and rigorously structured as a typical seminary or if their spiritual emphasis mixes it up a bit.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thus, we cannot rely on the seminary as a means of ensuring spiritual formation, although it can be used to ensure a certain standard of education in the faith. Although this can also be done successfully in other ways. I think churches should retain seminaries but reform them, making them increasingly open and accessible to the laity as a whole, like the ancient catechetical schools, and de-couple some of them from the university system, because so many universities themselves have become worldly and corrupt. Bible colleges interest me, but no liturgical church has to my knowledge opened one. I like seminaries which are standalone, and I like the idea of a BDiv, or the elimination of a prerequisite degree in a secular college (although this is still a good idea if in the process of discernment that constantly happens in seminaries, it is discerned you don’t have a vocation). In Roman Catholic seminaries, the rector can simply dismiss you at any time (Fr. Zuhlsdorf, a traditional Roman Catholic priest whose blog I enjoy, wrote an article a few years ago about the need for fellow traditional Catholics to keep their heads down at most seminaries, because of the relative ease by which the rector can remove you. This also takes us to the problem of spiritual formation of seminary faculty and leaders: it becomes a case of who shall watch the watchers?

Let me preface my comments by saying that I was fortunate to have, in my opinion, a very good formation; (although the process was not always easy or well managed; being kicked out of seminary while pregnant was a particularly galling experience). What I mean by a good formation is that I was well equipped, personally and spiritually, to enter ministry and to face its challenges, and to be able to keep learning and growing, I hope, for the rest of my life.

While I earned an academic degree as part of my formation, it was only part of it. Participation in a broader programme of formation - which included things like mandatory chapel attendance and participation, field placements in a variety of settings, having a spiritual director and engaging in formal mentoring, and so on - was expected. I learned and grew a lot more because of some of those aspects of formation that I could from time in the classroom. There is also something incredibly special about being part of a learning community where you kneel at prayer beside the person who teaches you Greek (for example).

Probably there is no system that is absolutely foolproof for making sure everyone is well formed, but the well-roundedness of my experience made it harder to sail through without really engaging with the process.

Where I studied the courses were open to laity as well as ordinands, so that's just normal in my experience. The lay students did sometimes express frustration that the programmes were tailored to ordinands and reflected less of their lay vocations, and I think that's a fair criticism. It probably reflects limited resources, more than anything. It's also normal in my experience for people without a prior degree to be able to study at bachelor's level, and I think that's just essential.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Let me preface my comments by saying that I was fortunate to have, in my opinion, a very good formation; (although the process was not always easy or well managed; being kicked out of seminary while pregnant was a particularly galling experience). What I mean by a good formation is that I was well equipped, personally and spiritually, to enter ministry and to face its challenges, and to be able to keep learning and growing, I hope, for the rest of my life.

While I earned an academic degree as part of my formation, it was only part of it. Participation in a broader programme of formation - which included things like mandatory chapel attendance and participation, field placements in a variety of settings, having a spiritual director and engaging in formal mentoring, and so on - was expected. I learned and grew a lot more because of some of those aspects of formation that I could from time in the classroom. There is also something incredibly special about being part of a learning community where you kneel at prayer beside the person who teaches you Greek (for example).

Probably there is no system that is absolutely foolproof for making sure everyone is well formed, but the well-roundedness of my experience made it harder to sail through without really engaging with the process.

Where I studied the courses were open to laity as well as ordinands, so that's just normal in my experience. The lay students did sometimes express frustration that the programmes were tailored to ordinands and reflected less of their lay vocations, and I think that's a fair criticism. It probably reflects limited resources, more than anything. It's also normal in my experience for people without a prior degree to be able to study at bachelor's level, and I think that's just essential.

It sounds like you had a really positive formation and that to my surprise, @Deegie , you and I had broadly similar experiences and have broadly similar thoughts. I think this stems from a mutual shared awareness of the potential for harm when formation is done poorly, the potential for incredible good when it is done well, and a shared opposition to holier-than-thou clericalism.

That said, I can’t believe they would kick you out of the seminary while pregnant! That just ticks me right off. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think this stems from a mutual shared awareness of the potential for harm when formation is done poorly, the potential for incredible good when it is done well, and a shared opposition to holier-than-thou clericalism.

Poor formation is a terrible thing to do to someone. There's a reason the attrition rate for those in ministry is so high. I am told - I haven't done the research for myself - that the average attrition rate can vary greatly depending on where one trained, though.

That said, I can’t believe they would kick you out of the seminary while pregnant! That just ticks me right off. :sigh:

The church is still a man's world. If I couldn't fit the standard programme, but needed some flexibility, they just couldn't cope with that. They did oh-so-charitably inform me I was welcome to keep attending chapel services, which were open to the public. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟411,933.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My view is that there should be a multi tiered approach to priestly formation.

• One the one hand we need the brightest and the best, accamdemically well schooled and ready to make their way in intellectual debate and discussion. The anti-intelectual movement serves us a disservice in this area. Yet this does not mean that every priest needs to be a Rhodes Scholar.
  • We need people who can relate and connect, who can Bring God's word to the people and the people to God. They do need well tuned skills in pastoral care, listening and non-judgementalism. People who will take as much care burying the pauper as they do the Head of State.
  • The need to have some liturgcal nouse, and to understand that it is the peoples work, and their task in leading worship is to enable the lifting up of hearts.
  • And we need clergy who pray, who can pray, who do pray,
  • Sadly there is an expectation that they will be competent administrators, and handy folk, and deal with the every rolling tide of paperwork.
  • We need clergy who understand that the interuptions to their work is the work.
There has been a tendency to focus a bit too much on the degree, and not so much on the trade apprenticeship, and it not about one or the other, I believe we need both. I think one problem we now face is a lot of older aspirants, which suggests a high investment in training for a shorter work life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some insist on formal education at their college / seminary before ordination (Assembly of God, for example).

Many others rely on informal routes. The local church is where training and spiritual formation happens, as ultimately it would be viewed that it is the local church's responsibility to raise up leaders.

It's interesting to note that a great deal of charismatic / pentecostal theology is dynamic because it places huge emphasis on relationships. There is some historical ressons for this. Remember, what Pentecostals / charismatic share is an experience of the Holy Spirit. This experience took place amongst people from many different denominational backgrounds, as wellas ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Therefore, an experience of the Spirit is placed before creeds, confessions, formal theological statements. Meaning that the theology tends to be dynamic and unity is often dependent on relationships over theology.

This gives some background on a preference towards informal training rather than formal seminary. Although AoG is quite clear on its distinctives.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ask away. I am Pentecostal Charismatic with an M.Div from ORU in Tulsa.

What would you like to know?

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ask away. I am Pentecostal Charismatic with an M.Div from ORU in Tulsa.

What would you like to know?
My main question is, with the emphasis that pentecostals seem to place on spiritual enlightenment/direct witness of the Holy Spirit how do the congregants view your seminary background? Is there a fair bit of suspicion given the reliance on traditional pedagogy that M. Div's require? Was there some spiritual test required to authenticate your calling? How does one train to conduct a service built around prophetic utterances and the invocation of the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My main question is, with the emphasis that pentecostals seem to place on spiritual enlightenment/direct witness of the Holy Spirit how do the congregants view your seminary background?
In most Pentecostal Charismatic Churches that I have been in relationship or affiliated with the educational background is expected and embraced. Most pastors have some form of higher education being Bachelors, Masters or Doctorates. They view the education as a requirement at most and a great benefit at the least
Is there a fair bit of suspicion given the reliance on traditional pedagogy that M. Div's require?
Suspicion of what? The Word of God expressly says 2 Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. I'm not quite sure what suspicion you are referring to??
Was there some spiritual test required to authenticate your calling?
No
How does one train to conduct a service built around prophetic utterances and the invocation of the Holy Spirit?
Most of our services are built around the Word of God - for an utterance to be of God and therefore Prophetic - it has to line up with the Word of God. That is why knowing the Word of God is so essential. The Spirit and the Word are One - there is no disagreement between the two.

Reactions: Fervent
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In most Pentecostal Charismatic Churches that I have been in relationship or affiliated with the educational background is expected and embraced. Most pastors have some form of higher education being Bachelors, Masters or Doctorates. They view the education as a requirement at most and a great benefit at the least
That's great to hear.
Suspicion of what? The Word of God expressly says 2 Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. I'm not quite sure what suspicion you are referring to??
It's been my experience that a lot of people who fancy themselves "spiritual" are hostile to any form of intellectual/"secular" education and so are suspicious of institutional learning.
Ah, good to know.
Most of our services are built around the Word of God - for an utterance to be of God and therefore Prophetic - it has to line up with the Word of God. That is why knowing the Word of God is so essential. The Spirit and the Word are One - there is no disagreement between the two.
That's great to hear! My interactions with churches that have labeled themselves pentecostal has been limited, but in that limited experience there was far more focus on ecstatic worship than on the content of Scripture.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's great to hear! My interactions with churches that have labeled themselves pentecostal has been limited, but in that limited experience there was far more focus on ecstatic worship than on the content of Scripture.
Ecstatic worship, I have found, it a natural result of being in the Presence of God. It is when the reality of God’s love becomes so real, the Holy Spirit moves in you and through you and you can’t help but stand in His Glory. How does one not be filled with peace and joy in His Presence.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ecstatic worship, I have found, it a natural result of being in the Presence of God. It is when the reality of God’s love becomes so real, the Holy Spirit moves in you and through you and you can’t help but stand in His Glory. How does one not be filled with peace and joy in His Presence.
In my experience there's far more that appeals to the sensual in ecstatic worship. At least what I've seen of it. There's room for solemnity and silent awe in worship, though He moves different people in different ways.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my experience there's far more that appeals to the sensual in ecstatic worship. At least what I've seen of it. There's room for solemnity and silent awe in worship, though He moves different people in different ways.
Heaven itself affects the sensual. We read of Joy unspeakable and full of Glory.

Psalm 126:
126 When the Lord brought back the captivity of Zion,We were like those who dream2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, And our tongue with singing.Then they said among the nations,“The Lord has done great things for them.”3 The Lord has done great things for us, And we are glad.

Yes, there are times of a quiet hush in reverence to God. I think there is a balance.

Upvote 0