Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
HUDSONVILLE, Mich., Feb. 27 (UPI) -- Folks in a West Michigan city are backing their mayor's decision to keep God as part of the community "mission statement."

Hudsonville Mayor Don VanDoeselaar Tuesday rejected a demand from the Freedom From Religion Foundation to strike the phrase "strive to serve God" from the document that was approved by the city commission back in 1995.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/02/27/michigan_city_will_continue_to_serve_god/2329/

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't see this as a problem.

Its a historical document isn't it? Or was it just recently changed?

I don't see a small town including religion in its charter as a problem. Don't like the charter, move. Or encourage more people to move there and vote on getting it changed.

I also see no problem with a small town having in its charter anti-religious statements. I just won't live or do business with that town.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The problem isn't if a certain amount of people want it. The problem is if it is legal under our Constitution. Our COnstitution regulates what government can and can't do, and popular opinion cannot not change those regulations unless they vote to change the Constitution.

I'm sorry, but we can't just pick and choose what parts of the COnstitution we follow, and don't.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem isn't if a certain amount of people want it. The problem is if it is legal under our Constitution. Our COnstitution regulates what government can and can't do, and popular opinion cannot not change those regulations unless they vote to change the Constitution.

I'm sorry, but we can't just pick and choose what parts of the COnstitution we follow, and don't.
Exactly! And this, to me, sounds like it is very unconstitutional. Maybe the ACLU or some other organization will take them to court and correct this injustice.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly! And this, to me, sounds like it is very unconstitutional. Maybe the ACLU or some other organization will take them to court and correct this injustice.

The ACLU has to be contacted, and employed, by someone that has standing in a case that they will bring up.

Maybe someone will do that, but I don't think so in this case. We can hope though.

Upvote 0

cyberfugue

Contributor
Jul 10, 2005
Richmond, Virginia
Visit site
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm sorry, but we can't just pick and choose what parts of the Constitution we follow, and don't.

A lot of people don't seem to know exactly what the US Constitution says. The only concrete position it takes on religion is that people can do what they want (or not).

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment I
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html#amendmenti

Overview
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.overview.html

Now tell me - where exactly does it say that what they've done is wrong? Nobody is being forced to do anything, or barred from anything. Congress isn't involved. In fact, it sounds to me like those who want to forcibly push God out of public spaces against the wishes of the majority are the ones who seem to have the real problem with the Constitution.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hey,
We can bankrupt the ACLU with lawsuits like the Anti-gunners tried.

Every small town should adopt some small religious
quote into their charter or other goverment document.
Then the ACLu would have to mount the court challenge
for every case.

The Constitution says this town cannot limit religion.
It only says the town will do gods work. It doesn't say
thats the only work they will do. And it doesn't say which god.
So again, it is only the anti-god group that have a problem.
Lets bankrupt the ACLU.
Towns don't have to take it to court, just make the ACLU file.^_^

Upvote 0