How to reconcile biological and social evolution with the Bible?

Terek

Jun 23, 2022
Poland
✟16,233.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone.

At the outset, I would like to point out that these are questions addressed to people who are convinced, as I am, that evolution is a fact and that God used it to create the universe and life. This is not a discussion of the veracity of evolution, as this issue is already covered in (too) many other threads. If you believe that evolution over billions of years did not happen, that's fine. That belief alone does not make you a better or worse Christian. It's just not the topic of this discussion, and if anyone wants to hear arguments against the concept of evolution then he can look at other posts.
Secondly, it is possible that some questions have been answered in whole or in part in other threads. If so that's great, but there is simply so much written on this forum that I am not able to find and read all the information relevant to me. If someone would like to provide answers in his own words that's very good, because after all, the forum is for expressing one's own thoughts. But I will also not be offended if someone gives me links to other statements, names of articles or books or videos that better explain the issues raised here.
After all, when I look at my post like this, I asked a lot of questions:) Of course, I don't require an answer to every single one of them, but I mainly care about answering the following 4 questions:

1. How do we reconcile God's intention for mankind, original sin, and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ with evolution?
2. What can we learn from the history of life on Earth? What does evolution tell us about God's attributes and intentions?
3. Where does the man for whom Christ gave his life begin? Why does the Bible seem so unclear on this issue?
4. How do we know which parts of the Bible should be interpreted literally and which symbolically? Can we tell something about God's attributes and intentions based on the metaphorical story.

The Bible says that God created man - male and female - and placed them in the Garden of Eden. He desired our welfare. He wanted people to be satisfied with their lives - to have their basic needs met such as food, health, protection from violence, companionship, and to worship, obey and devote themselves to him. Man was supposed to transform the entire Earth into one great garden of Eden, but thanks to his perfection and God's blessing, he would not suffer while performing this task. Unfortunately, man, at Satan's instigation, rebelled by breaking God's prohibition and decided that he wanted to decide for himself what was good and what was evil. Therefore, God banished him from the garden, depriving him of the opportunity to eat from the tree of life and perfection. Adam and Eve had no children before the rebellion, so we all inherited their sin. God foresaw how difficult and painful man's life would be, which is not to say that He intended it from the beginning. His intention was completely different and He did not abandon it. He decided, no doubt with the consent of the person concerned himself, that He would send a Messiah who would correct the error of our forefathers, and in this way people would return to their original state - they would live as Adam and Eve lived before they sinned, and continue God's intention to transform the planet (Revelation 21:1-5)
Everything God did from the expulsion from the Garden of Eden served precisely to prepare the place for the activity of Jesus Christ, who through his death will save mankind. And he succeeded in fulfilling his mission - by remaining faithful to God, which Adam failed to do, he paid the ransom with his life. (Romans 5:12-21).

But what is the history of the Earth, life and humans? The Earth began to take shape billions of years after the Big Bang. Initially it was a fireball bombarded by meteorites, which collided and mostly absorbed another planet. The debris from that planet formed a moon, whose gravity strongly affected Earth, although it began to weaken as it moved a few centimeters away each year. Only after hundreds of millions of years did the Earth assume a form on which life became possible. Of course, rocks and chemical processes do not feel or think. I don't see anything contradictory to the Bible that the Earth was formed in such a way. I am persuaded by John Walton's argument that the phrase "in the beginning" refers to the beginning of God's action in the world, not the material beginning of the Universe. Sure, it raises the question of at what point God decided that it was on this very planet that He would create someone "in His image and likeness" (Genesis 1: 26), but this is a purely theoretical question, and one that no one seems to know the answer to. I'm more puzzled by questions that concern living beings, which are, to a lesser or greater degree, sentient and reasoning. For example, why exactly did God choose the Earth? For most of my life, I was convinced that it was the only planet with water and capable of supporting life. But I learned that not only is this not the case, but there are planets that are much better places to live. So why Earth and not another, better planet? Could it be that at the time of God's decision, it was Earth that was the most optimal place for the fulfillment of God's intentions, i.e. for the course of evolution that would eventually lead to the creation of man? Or were other planets already occupied? If so, are there other "images of God" on other planets? And how do they live? Is Jesus a space traveler who roams the planets and saves the people there? :DOk, I've strayed terribly from the main thread, although of course these questions also connect to some extent to the main question. In any case, I do not think that the existence of other life forms on other planets, even similar to humans, contradicts Scripture. Nor do I think that evolution in itself contradicts the existence of God. It seems to me to make much more sense that changes occur gradually than if God were to create the entire plan of the Universe with the smallest details in one blink of an eye and at the same time put it into practice. I agree with Pope Francis that "God is not a wizard with a magic wand." After all, doesn't God have the right to enjoy the process of creation just as we enjoy creating cities in City Skylines or developing the Sims? Where would be the joy if the creators of these games simply provided us with finished cities to look at or a fully developed Sims family that lacks nothing? However, such an analogy is inaccurate, because it ignores the issue of the suffering of living beings.
So, after hundreds of millions of years, we have the first cells, which in time merge into multicellular organisms. And after almost 4 billion years we have the first creatures that, in my opinion, are worthy to be concerned about their fate. These creatures live, die and produce offspring. New species are created, and old species die out. And so life goes on for hundreds of millions of years.
However, where there is life, there is also suffering and death. Animals suffer and die due to aggression from other animals, disease, parasites, starvation, cold, overheating, natural disasters, or accidents. Often, representatives of even one species compete with each other in a brutal way, and the victory of one means the death of another (for example, a chick with brighter plumage attracts the attention of its parent and gets food, while the one with darker plumage dies of starvation). In addition, from time to time there are mass extinctions, which cause the extinction of even most species. Of course, the history of life cannot be reduced only to an uninterrupted string of torment and pain. Animals also experience good moments, but this does not change the fact that suffering is inherent in life. Why does God allow living and sentient beings to suffer and die without any purpose for hundreds of millions of years? Are living beings to God what Sims are to us?

Let's turn to the history of man, or ourselves. It is easy for us to point to two extremes: ourselves and the gorilla and say "I am the image of God, and that one is an animal," but after all, the history of man is not so clear. At what point in history does a person begin to hope for salvation?
We know that human evolution is not a "march of progress," but more of a "parade of freaks." It wasn't that two monkeys had a baby that was completely different from them and that we could call human. The changes occurred so gradually that each child was almost identical to the parents - the difference was even imperceptible. Such imperceptible differences accumulated, and it was only after hundreds of thousands of years that it was possible to see a clear difference between a given individual and its great-grandparent. Nor did the changes occur linearly - it wasn't that each successive individual became more and more human and less and less ape. Due to chance, interbreeding and unfavorable environmental changes, human characteristics could disappear and, for example, subsequent generations could possess fewer typically human traits than their predecessors. The general trend observed from the perspective of millions of years, however, was that more and more individuals emerged that increasingly resembled humans in both physique and abilities.
I wonder what it will look like at the Last Judgment? Will Jesus call one of these first people and say: " you didn't have a chance to meet me, so I'm giving you a chance to recognize me as your Savior, because I also died for your sins. But not for the sins of your parents, because they were some monkeys, and animals cannot sin or be redeemed. And not for the sins of your great-great-grandchild, because he degenerated a bit and that too was a monkey. But for the fact that from your 15th generation, they're all humans"?

Ok, so we move on to the question of individuals who indisputably possess characteristics that distinguish them from other ape/human species. Are typical representatives of Neanderthals humans or apes? What about the Denisovans? What about homo naledi? What about homo floresiensis? What about other as yet undiscovered individuals? What about the children from the unions of homo sapiens with Neanderthals/Denisovans? What about less evolved hominids? Will Lucy be saved, because I kind of liked her?
I don't expect anyone to have specific answers to each of these questions, because it would be absurd to claim that based on some mathematical calculation of typically human traits one can determine who will be saved, e.g., if someone is 90% homo sapiens (whatever that resemblance would be) then yes, and if he is 89% then no.
I'm more wondering if anything can be said on this subject that has any foundation? Or is the mere similarity in behavior and appearance between Denisovans/Neanderthals and humans a pretty strong foundation in itself? If so, that's pretty optimistic, but still, as we go back in time, the similarity between homo sapiens and hominids is diminishing more and more.
And so we come to the issue of original sin. It is with it that the Bible explains the current state of mankind. However, when and by whom was it committed? Some claim that Adam and Eve were created independently of other humans and placed in the Garden of Eden. However, around 4000 BC on there were already the first cultures/civilizations with their own armies. So if Adam and Eve were viable individuals then how would the expansion of the Garden of Eden have been? Were Adam and his descendants supposed to conquer these countries militarily?
And what role did this couple realistically play after the exile? Eve was called "the mother of all living" (Genesis 3: 20), but even if her offspring were exceptionally fertile and mobile she certainly could not have been the mother of those living before her or those living in the Americas or Australia. Besides, it would still take a long time before at least one Eve gene was found in every inhabitant of Africa, Europe and Asia.
After all, if it was only Adam and Eve who committed the sin then why do other people suffer? And did Christ die only for the descendants of this couple?
I know that even without original sin we would need redemption, because "there is not a righteous man on earth who [always] does good and never sins" (Koh 7:20). However, this does not change the fact that the Bible teaches two types of sin: that resulting from our will and original sin. However, looking at the history of mankind, did something like original sin affecting all of mankind even occur?

Terek

Jun 23, 2022
Poland
✟16,233.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here we come to another issue: metaphors, symbolism and parables in the Bible. How does this issue relate to evolution? Well, just as organisms live and adapt to a certain environment so the Word of God was created in a certain environment and adapted to the level of understanding of the audience. John Walton said that the Old Testament was written for us, but not to us. In order to understand it properly one must know the context in which it was written. Even though the cultures of ancient peoples differed, the culture of Israel was closer to them than to ours. Most people do not know the ancient context, so they will never be able to get the Bible right. And are laymen like me, who are interested in ancient history and culture and, based on popular science works and YouTube videos, have learned the context as much as possible, surely they can understand the Bible correctly? I will admit that books and videos on the Hebrew Scriptures have given me a lot, and I realized, for example, that the Bible is full of metaphors and does not stand in stark contrast to evolution, (although there are still problems such as those raised above). However, it would be a huge arrogance to claim that I understand everything correctly. How do we know which events should be interpreted literally and which should not? Moreover, how do we know that a given interpretation is the best or even close to the truth?
Take, for example, the story of the Flood. It used to be that when asked, "why is this story in the Bible," the answer was simple: "Because it was so. God sent a flood on wicked people, saved a handful of righteous people, and will do so in the future." However, we now know that the answer should rather be: "because for thousands of years culture in the Middle East developed and eventually resulted in the story of the Flood. However, the true God didn't quite like this story and, by referring to it, something familiar, decided to convey universal truths about himself. According to the myths, the gods created humans as slaves to work on them, and when the slaves began to make noise they decided to exterminate them. Despite the similarities, there are also significant differences - in the Bible, God created humans as co-managers of the Earth, and the Flood was a just punishment for immorality."
I don't want to elaborate on the story of the Flood itself, because that's material for a separate discussion, but I cited it because it is the most striking example of a biblical metaphor. However, in other texts it is presented as real events, such as in Matthew 24: 37-39, where it is written that the last days will be "like the days of Noah." So how can we know what else is a metaphor and to what extent? Certainly events that, according to the state of knowledge, could not have taken place, e.g. the gathering of people in one place near the Tower of Babel and the confusion of their languages which prompted them to migrate. What about events that history cannot deny, but which seem to fit into a certain literary convention? For example, the sending of 72 disciples by Jesus to preach (Luke 10:1). To the question "why is this story in the Bible?" not long ago I would have answered: "Because it was so. Jesus sent 72 disciples to preach the Good News about Him and His Kingdom. Why exactly 72 people? Maybe it was the most optimal number, or maybe there were no more suitable people. In any case, He sent them out." However, I recently learned that this is probably a metaphorical reference to the Book of Genesis, where 72 countries are mentioned. How then to understand this number?
1. literally - Jesus sent out 72 disciples and this is a coincidental coincidence with the number in the book of Genesis.
2. literally - Jesus sent out 72 disciples, but intentionally wanted to refer to the number in Genesis
3. metaphorically - Jesus sent out many disciples
4. metaphorically - Jesus sent out an unspecified number of disciples
5. very metaphorically - Jesus did not send out disciples, but wanted Christians to preach (including in anticipation of his second return)

As you can see, one seemingly simple verse, and the number of possibilities is enormous.
What about verses whose literalness is not refuted by history and which do not seem composed to fit into some literary convention? E.g., about the rescue of Daniel or Shadrach, Meshak and Abed-Nego? Are these literal stories or should they be interpreted metaphorically - namely, to trust in God?
And in such a case, what can we say about God's attributes and His intentions? Suppose a Christian from a Western country, as part of his testimony, tells the story of how he went to Africa and helped the people there. He built wells, healed the sick, and when armed militias attacked a village he stood in front of barrels of rifles, offering to give his life for sparing the inhabitants. This so moved the militiamen that they wept and promised to become disciples of Christ and stop the attacks.
Can we say that this is a beautiful story showing the strength of Christianity as the way of the followers of Christ and testifying to the positive qualities of the storyteller such as working for the common good, love for fellow human beings, courage or selfless sacrifice? Yes. But what if the whole story is just a metaphor? Can we claim that the storyteller manifests these qualities just because that's how he acted in the metaphorical story? In my opinion - no, because in stories we are limited only by our own imagination, and if someone in real life does not exhibit a given trait then we can say that he only aspires to it. Equally, a follower of any other religion could put together a similar story and would that convince us that we should join his religion, because after all, what matters is the moral? Besides, in such a case, we begin to look for the negative sides of stories that could exist in real life. In the example I cited above, it could be condescension - the belief that if someone was born in a rich country then after immigrating to a poorer one he has super abilities such as building wells or healing, even though he would go to jail for practicing the latter without a license in his own country. Or simply the story ignores the fact that African countries don't need more labor because they have many unemployed professionals just money for salaries and know-how.
Isn't it the same with many biblical stories? To the question "how do we know that God possesses such and not other qualities and will do something in the future" the answer could be simple: "we know this because He manifested them in the past and did similar things in the past." It could be, if so many points were not simply metaphor, however. Incidentally, reading some of the stories, especially the conquest of Kaan, many people, including myself, hope that they are largely metaphorical.
But why didn't God refer to real stories that took place in distant prehistory, e.g., why isn't there a story in the Bible about how a hunter-gatherer escapes from a saber-toothed tiger or some other annoyed representative of megafauna, prays to God and is saved? I think both a Christian and a person who does not recognize the authority of the Bible could give the same answer: "because nothing like that happened in prehistory." In the Bible, God continuously calls Himself a "jealous God" who does not tolerate any other worship. However, for almost the entire history of the species homo sapiens, most people have not even had the opportunity to hear about the true God. We don't know much about the spiritual life of the first humans, but there are many indications that at first they worshipped the forces of nature, then they began to create some imaginary gods. In any case, they certainly did not worship the biblical God, who has certain qualities and demands to be worshipped in a certain way - He definitely does not say that although He is one He can be worshipped under different forms and names. Nevertheless, He first revealed Himself only to...Adam? Abraham? To Moses? To someone else? Why is there so much ambiguity in the Bible? Why did God allow different peoples to develop different belief systems and then punish them for it?
So, as we can see, not only nature evolves, but also human culture and thinking. And the Bible was written to reach people immersed in the cultural river of the time as John Walton nicely put it. The parables of Christ seem to be much more timeless than those of the Old Testament, they are not on the weird/terrifying side, and it is clear that they should not be interpreted literally. However, some of the stories described in the Gospels seem metaphorical in part or whole.
So why is the Scripture so strongly associated with the Middle Eastern culture of old? Would it look different if it were written in China or Australia? Should we ignore the details of the Bible's many stories and focus only on the messages that flow from them? Or should we, as Catholic columnist Tomasz Terlikowski put it, recognize that the morals of the individual stories themselves are not important and stop at the vague statement that the Bible is a book about a relationship with God?
Surely the topic would be much more pleasant if it were purely theoretical, which as we know is not the case. The Biblical God has certain qualities and demands to be worshipped in certain ways, so it cannot be said that a good hunter-gatherer praying to spirits, a good nomad praying to a goddess revealed in a figurine kept in a tent and a good Christian have the same value to him and he loves them equally. It can't be said that they all worshipped the same God in different forms, and some inadvertently may have even worshipped demons (although, all in all, there shouldn't be demons in front of the Garden of Eden?). And yet so many people did not have the opportunity to know Him.

Thanks for reading. English is not my native language, so I apologize in advance for any errors.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here we come to another issue: metaphors, symbolism and parables in the Bible. How does this issue relate to evolution? Well, just as organisms live and adapt to a certain environment so the Word of God was created in a certain environment and adapted to the level of understanding of the audience. John Walton said that the Old Testament was written for us, but not to us. In order to understand it properly one must know the context in which it was written. Even though the cultures of ancient peoples differed, the culture of Israel was closer to them than to ours. Most people do not know the ancient context, so they will never be able to get the Bible right. And are laymen like me, who are interested in ancient history and culture and, based on popular science works and YouTube videos, have learned the context as much as possible, surely they can understand the Bible correctly? I will admit that books and videos on the Hebrew Scriptures have given me a lot, and I realized, for example, that the Bible is full of metaphors and does not stand in stark contrast to evolution, (although there are still problems such as those raised above). However, it would be a huge arrogance to claim that I understand everything correctly. How do we know which events should be interpreted literally and which should not? Moreover, how do we know that a given interpretation is the best or even close to the truth?
Take, for example, the story of the Flood. It used to be that when asked, "why is this story in the Bible," the answer was simple: "Because it was so. God sent a flood on wicked people, saved a handful of righteous people, and will do so in the future." However, we now know that the answer should rather be: "because for thousands of years culture in the Middle East developed and eventually resulted in the story of the Flood. However, the true God didn't quite like this story and, by referring to it, something familiar, decided to convey universal truths about himself. According to the myths, the gods created humans as slaves to work on them, and when the slaves began to make noise they decided to exterminate them. Despite the similarities, there are also significant differences - in the Bible, God created humans as co-managers of the Earth, and the Flood was a just punishment for immorality."
I don't want to elaborate on the story of the Flood itself, because that's material for a separate discussion, but I cited it because it is the most striking example of a biblical metaphor. However, in other texts it is presented as real events, such as in Matthew 24: 37-39, where it is written that the last days will be "like the days of Noah." So how can we know what else is a metaphor and to what extent? Certainly events that, according to the state of knowledge, could not have taken place, e.g. the gathering of people in one place near the Tower of Babel and the confusion of their languages which prompted them to migrate. What about events that history cannot deny, but which seem to fit into a certain literary convention? For example, the sending of 72 disciples by Jesus to preach (Luke 10:1). To the question "why is this story in the Bible?" not long ago I would have answered: "Because it was so. Jesus sent 72 disciples to preach the Good News about Him and His Kingdom. Why exactly 72 people? Maybe it was the most optimal number, or maybe there were no more suitable people. In any case, He sent them out." However, I recently learned that this is probably a metaphorical reference to the Book of Genesis, where 72 countries are mentioned. How then to understand this number?
1. literally - Jesus sent out 72 disciples and this is a coincidental coincidence with the number in the book of Genesis.
2. literally - Jesus sent out 72 disciples, but intentionally wanted to refer to the number in Genesis
3. metaphorically - Jesus sent out many disciples
4. metaphorically - Jesus sent out an unspecified number of disciples
5. very metaphorically - Jesus did not send out disciples, but wanted Christians to preach (including in anticipation of his second return)

As you can see, one seemingly simple verse, and the number of possibilities is enormous.
What about verses whose literalness is not refuted by history and which do not seem composed to fit into some literary convention? E.g., about the rescue of Daniel or Shadrach, Meshak and Abed-Nego? Are these literal stories or should they be interpreted metaphorically - namely, to trust in God?
And in such a case, what can we say about God's attributes and His intentions? Suppose a Christian from a Western country, as part of his testimony, tells the story of how he went to Africa and helped the people there. He built wells, healed the sick, and when armed militias attacked a village he stood in front of barrels of rifles, offering to give his life for sparing the inhabitants. This so moved the militiamen that they wept and promised to become disciples of Christ and stop the attacks.
Can we say that this is a beautiful story showing the strength of Christianity as the way of the followers of Christ and testifying to the positive qualities of the storyteller such as working for the common good, love for fellow human beings, courage or selfless sacrifice? Yes. But what if the whole story is just a metaphor? Can we claim that the storyteller manifests these qualities just because that's how he acted in the metaphorical story? In my opinion - no, because in stories we are limited only by our own imagination, and if someone in real life does not exhibit a given trait then we can say that he only aspires to it. Equally, a follower of any other religion could put together a similar story and would that convince us that we should join his religion, because after all, what matters is the moral? Besides, in such a case, we begin to look for the negative sides of stories that could exist in real life. In the example I cited above, it could be condescension - the belief that if someone was born in a rich country then after immigrating to a poorer one he has super abilities such as building wells or healing, even though he would go to jail for practicing the latter without a license in his own country. Or simply the story ignores the fact that African countries don't need more labor because they have many unemployed professionals just money for salaries and know-how.
Isn't it the same with many biblical stories? To the question "how do we know that God possesses such and not other qualities and will do something in the future" the answer could be simple: "we know this because He manifested them in the past and did similar things in the past." It could be, if so many points were not simply metaphor, however. Incidentally, reading some of the stories, especially the conquest of Kaan, many people, including myself, hope that they are largely metaphorical.
But why didn't God refer to real stories that took place in distant prehistory, e.g., why isn't there a story in the Bible about how a hunter-gatherer escapes from a saber-toothed tiger or some other annoyed representative of megafauna, prays to God and is saved? I think both a Christian and a person who does not recognize the authority of the Bible could give the same answer: "because nothing like that happened in prehistory." In the Bible, God continuously calls Himself a "jealous God" who does not tolerate any other worship. However, for almost the entire history of the species homo sapiens, most people have not even had the opportunity to hear about the true God. We don't know much about the spiritual life of the first humans, but there are many indications that at first they worshipped the forces of nature, then they began to create some imaginary gods. In any case, they certainly did not worship the biblical God, who has certain qualities and demands to be worshipped in a certain way - He definitely does not say that although He is one He can be worshipped under different forms and names. Nevertheless, He first revealed Himself only to...Adam? Abraham? To Moses? To someone else? Why is there so much ambiguity in the Bible? Why did God allow different peoples to develop different belief systems and then punish them for it?
So, as we can see, not only nature evolves, but also human culture and thinking. And the Bible was written to reach people immersed in the cultural river of the time as John Walton nicely put it. The parables of Christ seem to be much more timeless than those of the Old Testament, they are not on the weird/terrifying side, and it is clear that they should not be interpreted literally. However, some of the stories described in the Gospels seem metaphorical in part or whole.
So why is the Scripture so strongly associated with the Middle Eastern culture of old? Would it look different if it were written in China or Australia? Should we ignore the details of the Bible's many stories and focus only on the messages that flow from them? Or should we, as Catholic columnist Tomasz Terlikowski put it, recognize that the morals of the individual stories themselves are not important and stop at the vague statement that the Bible is a book about a relationship with God?
Surely the topic would be much more pleasant if it were purely theoretical, which as we know is not the case. The Biblical God has certain qualities and demands to be worshipped in certain ways, so it cannot be said that a good hunter-gatherer praying to spirits, a good nomad praying to a goddess revealed in a figurine kept in a tent and a good Christian have the same value to him and he loves them equally. It can't be said that they all worshipped the same God in different forms, and some inadvertently may have even worshipped demons (although, all in all, there shouldn't be demons in front of the Garden of Eden?). And yet so many people did not have the opportunity to know Him.

Thanks for reading. English is not my native language, so I apologize in advance for any errors.

We reconcile it by admitting to ourselves that we don't know everything. And it is just that simple.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,350.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. How do we reconcile God's intention for mankind, original sin, and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ with evolution?
2. What can we learn from the history of life on Earth? What does evolution tell us about God's attributes and intentions?
3. Where does the man for whom Christ gave his life begin? Why does the Bible seem so unclear on this issue?
4. How do we know which parts of the Bible should be interpreted literally and which symbolically? Can we tell something about God's attributes and intentions based on the metaphorical story.
1. I see no conflict to reconcile
2. This is probably quite subjective
3. Every creature that needs salvation can be saved by Christ.
4. Its a complex issue, sometimes context, sometimes symbolism used is evident, sometimes the knowledge of the genre, vocabulary and the culture of authors... There are places that are clearly symbolic, probably symbolic, possibly symbolic, partly symbolic... its not always a clear cut.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

it cannot be reconciled, we have a soul inside and spirit, evolution says we are just meat.

God created everything exactly as he wanted.

Jesus gave his life for men with souls. Because they can go to heaven since they are immortal. Also the spirit connects us with God.

Everything except obvious word plays, should be taken seriously the bible speaks about the gospel and Jesus, and that is all true, so why not the rest. We can meet Jesus in this life, enough for me to take the bible seriously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone.

At the outset, I would like to point out that these are questions addressed to people who are convinced, as I am, that evolution is a fact and that God used it to create the universe and life. This is not a discussion of the veracity of evolution, as this issue is already covered in (too) many other threads. If you believe that evolution over billions of years did not happen, that's fine. That belief alone does not make you a better or worse Christian. It's just not the topic of this discussion, and if anyone wants to hear arguments against the concept of evolution then he can look at other posts.
Secondly, it is possible that some questions have been answered in whole or in part in other threads. If so that's great, but there is simply so much written on this forum that I am not able to find and read all the information relevant to me. If someone would like to provide answers in his own words that's very good, because after all, the forum is for expressing one's own thoughts. But I will also not be offended if someone gives me links to other statements, names of articles or books or videos that better explain the issues raised here.
After all, when I look at my post like this, I asked a lot of questions:) Of course, I don't require an answer to every single one of them, but I mainly care about answering the following 4 questions:

The Bible says that God created man - male and female - and placed them in the Garden of Eden. He desired our welfare. He wanted people to be satisfied with their lives - to have their basic needs met such as food, health, protection from violence, companionship, and to worship, obey and devote themselves to him. Man was supposed to transform the entire Earth into one great garden of Eden, but thanks to his perfection and God's blessing, he would not suffer while performing this task. Unfortunately, man, at Satan's instigation, rebelled by breaking God's prohibition and decided that he wanted to decide for himself what was good and what was evil. Therefore, God banished him from the garden, depriving him of the opportunity to eat from the tree of life and perfection. Adam and Eve had no children before the rebellion, so we all inherited their sin. God foresaw how difficult and painful man's life would be, which is not to say that He intended it from the beginning. His intention was completely different and He did not abandon it. He decided, no doubt with the consent of the person concerned himself, that He would send a Messiah who would correct the error of our forefathers, and in this way people would return to their original state - they would live as Adam and Eve lived before they sinned, and continue God's intention to transform the planet (Revelation 21:1-5)
Everything God did from the expulsion from the Garden of Eden served precisely to prepare the place for the activity of Jesus Christ, who through his death will save mankind. And he succeeded in fulfilling his mission - by remaining faithful to God, which Adam failed to do, he paid the ransom with his life. (Romans 5:12-21).

But what is the history of the Earth, life and humans? The Earth began to take shape billions of years after the Big Bang. Initially it was a fireball bombarded by meteorites, which collided and mostly absorbed another planet. The debris from that planet formed a moon, whose gravity strongly affected Earth, although it began to weaken as it moved a few centimeters away each year. Only after hundreds of millions of years did the Earth assume a form on which life became possible. Of course, rocks and chemical processes do not feel or think. I don't see anything contradictory to the Bible that the Earth was formed in such a way. I am persuaded by John Walton's argument that the phrase "in the beginning" refers to the beginning of God's action in the world, not the material beginning of the Universe. Sure, it raises the question of at what point God decided that it was on this very planet that He would create someone "in His image and likeness" (Genesis 1: 26), but this is a purely theoretical question, and one that no one seems to know the answer to. I'm more puzzled by questions that concern living beings, which are, to a lesser or greater degree, sentient and reasoning. For example, why exactly did God choose the Earth? For most of my life, I was convinced that it was the only planet with water and capable of supporting life. But I learned that not only is this not the case, but there are planets that are much better places to live. So why Earth and not another, better planet? Could it be that at the time of God's decision, it was Earth that was the most optimal place for the fulfillment of God's intentions, i.e. for the course of evolution that would eventually lead to the creation of man? Or were other planets already occupied? If so, are there other "images of God" on other planets? And how do they live? Is Jesus a space traveler who roams the planets and saves the people there? :DOk, I've strayed terribly from the main thread, although of course these questions also connect to some extent to the main question. In any case, I do not think that the existence of other life forms on other planets, even similar to humans, contradicts Scripture. Nor do I think that evolution in itself contradicts the existence of God. It seems to me to make much more sense that changes occur gradually than if God were to create the entire plan of the Universe with the smallest details in one blink of an eye and at the same time put it into practice. I agree with Pope Francis that "God is not a wizard with a magic wand." After all, doesn't God have the right to enjoy the process of creation just as we enjoy creating cities in City Skylines or developing the Sims? Where would be the joy if the creators of these games simply provided us with finished cities to look at or a fully developed Sims family that lacks nothing? However, such an analogy is inaccurate, because it ignores the issue of the suffering of living beings.
So, after hundreds of millions of years, we have the first cells, which in time merge into multicellular organisms. And after almost 4 billion years we have the first creatures that, in my opinion, are worthy to be concerned about their fate. These creatures live, die and produce offspring. New species are created, and old species die out. And so life goes on for hundreds of millions of years.
However, where there is life, there is also suffering and death. Animals suffer and die due to aggression from other animals, disease, parasites, starvation, cold, overheating, natural disasters, or accidents. Often, representatives of even one species compete with each other in a brutal way, and the victory of one means the death of another (for example, a chick with brighter plumage attracts the attention of its parent and gets food, while the one with darker plumage dies of starvation). In addition, from time to time there are mass extinctions, which cause the extinction of even most species. Of course, the history of life cannot be reduced only to an uninterrupted string of torment and pain. Animals also experience good moments, but this does not change the fact that suffering is inherent in life. Why does God allow living and sentient beings to suffer and die without any purpose for hundreds of millions of years? Are living beings to God what Sims are to us?

Let's turn to the history of man, or ourselves. It is easy for us to point to two extremes: ourselves and the gorilla and say "I am the image of God, and that one is an animal," but after all, the history of man is not so clear. At what point in history does a person begin to hope for salvation?
We know that human evolution is not a "march of progress," but more of a "parade of freaks." It wasn't that two monkeys had a baby that was completely different from them and that we could call human. The changes occurred so gradually that each child was almost identical to the parents - the difference was even imperceptible. Such imperceptible differences accumulated, and it was only after hundreds of thousands of years that it was possible to see a clear difference between a given individual and its great-grandparent. Nor did the changes occur linearly - it wasn't that each successive individual became more and more human and less and less ape. Due to chance, interbreeding and unfavorable environmental changes, human characteristics could disappear and, for example, subsequent generations could possess fewer typically human traits than their predecessors. The general trend observed from the perspective of millions of years, however, was that more and more individuals emerged that increasingly resembled humans in both physique and abilities.
I wonder what it will look like at the Last Judgment? Will Jesus call one of these first people and say: " you didn't have a chance to meet me, so I'm giving you a chance to recognize me as your Savior, because I also died for your sins. But not for the sins of your parents, because they were some monkeys, and animals cannot sin or be redeemed. And not for the sins of your great-great-grandchild, because he degenerated a bit and that too was a monkey. But for the fact that from your 15th generation, they're all humans"?

Ok, so we move on to the question of individuals who indisputably possess characteristics that distinguish them from other ape/human species. Are typical representatives of Neanderthals humans or apes? What about the Denisovans? What about homo naledi? What about homo floresiensis? What about other as yet undiscovered individuals? What about the children from the unions of homo sapiens with Neanderthals/Denisovans? What about less evolved hominids? Will Lucy be saved, because I kind of liked her?
I don't expect anyone to have specific answers to each of these questions, because it would be absurd to claim that based on some mathematical calculation of typically human traits one can determine who will be saved, e.g., if someone is 90% homo sapiens (whatever that resemblance would be) then yes, and if he is 89% then no.
I'm more wondering if anything can be said on this subject that has any foundation? Or is the mere similarity in behavior and appearance between Denisovans/Neanderthals and humans a pretty strong foundation in itself? If so, that's pretty optimistic, but still, as we go back in time, the similarity between homo sapiens and hominids is diminishing more and more.
And so we come to the issue of original sin. It is with it that the Bible explains the current state of mankind. However, when and by whom was it committed? Some claim that Adam and Eve were created independently of other humans and placed in the Garden of Eden. However, around 4000 BC on there were already the first cultures/civilizations with their own armies. So if Adam and Eve were viable individuals then how would the expansion of the Garden of Eden have been? Were Adam and his descendants supposed to conquer these countries militarily?
And what role did this couple realistically play after the exile? Eve was called "the mother of all living" (Genesis 3: 20), but even if her offspring were exceptionally fertile and mobile she certainly could not have been the mother of those living before her or those living in the Americas or Australia. Besides, it would still take a long time before at least one Eve gene was found in every inhabitant of Africa, Europe and Asia.
After all, if it was only Adam and Eve who committed the sin then why do other people suffer? And did Christ die only for the descendants of this couple?
I know that even without original sin we would need redemption, because "there is not a righteous man on earth who [always] does good and never sins" (Koh 7:20). However, this does not change the fact that the Bible teaches two types of sin: that resulting from our will and original sin. However, looking at the history of mankind, did something like original sin affecting all of mankind even occur?

You should start by studying ancient near east cosmology and context of Genesis. Are you familiar with this subject?

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone.

One either believes the book of Genesis (of which Jesus affirms) or they do not.
Evolution theory and creation theory are mutually exclusive.

The death of Christ provided the way for anyone regardless of their lineage to be saved. It has always been this way. Salvation was in place before creation of mankind.

Also, sin did not begin (originate) with Adam and Eve .... it began with lucifer ... in heaven (a willful act)

Whether lucifer and the fallen angels or Adam & Eve ... or all of mankind .... it's about disobedience to God's laws.

Sin brings forth death. What is sin? Transgression of the law.

What we know scientifically people come from people .... beyond that is evolution theory.

(Shem, Ham, and Japheth’s families) were responsible for populating the earth (Genesis 6:10, 7:7, 8:16, 10:32).

Population stats reveal that since the flood (about 4,350 years ago), we should be at about 6–7 billion people right now (the world population is about 7.888 billion) even at a conservative rate of doubling only every 150 years. Do the math. If the flood had not occurred it would be much much much more than that.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How do we reconcile God's intention for mankind, original sin, and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ with evolution?

it cannot be reconciled, we have a soul inside and spirit, evolution says we are just meat.
As pointed out before, people who object to evolutionary theory, don't actually know what it is. Here's a prime example.

What can we learn from the history of life on Earth? What does evolution tell us about God's attributes and intentions?

God created everything exactly as he wanted.
Yes, but the issue is that most creationists don't approve of the way He did it.

Where does the man for whom Christ gave his life begin? Why does the Bible seem so unclear on this issue?

Jesus gave his life for men with souls. Because they can go to heaven since they are immortal. Also the spirit connects us with God.
Yes. We don't know much about the first two people who were given immortal souls. Nor does it matter. And of course, it doesn't conflict with evolutionary theory at all.

How do we know which parts of the Bible should be interpreted literally and which symbolically? Can we tell something about God's attributes and intentions based on the metaphorical story.

Everything except obvious word plays, should be taken seriously the bible speaks about the gospel and Jesus, and that is all true,
As we see that the text itself tells us that the days of Creation were not literal 24 hour days, we know that the Creation account is not a literal history.
Why not just take it as He gave it to us, without adding things? It makes no claims about the age of the Earth of how species were created, other than to say that the Earth brought forth living things as He intended.

Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
One either believes the book of Genesis (of which Jesus affirms) or they do not.
Evolution theory and creation theory are mutually exclusive.
Evolutionary theory and YE creationism are mutually exclusive, but the men who invented YE creationism are not God. Their new doctrines are additions to God's word, added to make it more acceptable to them.

Population stats reveal that since the flood (about 4,350 years ago), we should be at about 6–7 billion people right now (the world population is about 7.888 billion) even at a conservative rate of doubling only every 150 years. Do the math. If the flood had not occurred it would be much much much more than that.
Ehh... no. In fact world population has fluctuated in the past but it pretty well remained stable until a couple thousand years ago...
worldpop12000.gif

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with those who said you cannot reconcile it. You either have faith in the Word of God or you have faith in man-made science. Science itself is atheistic by nature and does not account for a supernatural Creator and designer. You can't reconcile the words of Jesus, who affirms the creation story, including Noah, Adam and Eve, and so on, and atheistic science who only utilizes millions and billions of years because their theories don't make sense without that much time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Science itself is atheistic by nature and does not account for a supernatural Creator and designer.
This is the kind of thing that has scientists (most of who are theists of some kind) shaking their heads. Science is unable to even consider the supernatural. It can't support the supernatural and it can't deny the supernatural. It's like complaining because plumbing can't account for a supernatural Creator.

You can't reconcile the words of Jesus, who affirms the creation story
Where in the Bible does it say repeating a figurative account makes it into a literal history? Are you going to condemn Jesus for using parables? C'mon.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is the kind of thing that has scientists (most of who are theists of some kind) shaking their heads. Science is unable to even consider the supernatural.
Some scientists are having a hard time grappling with quantum physics.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some scientists are having a hard time grappling with quantum physics.
Makes my head hurt. But then, I think it was Bohr who remarked that if quantum physics didn't confuse you, you didn't really understand it.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sure, it raises the question of at what point God decided that it was on this very planet that He would create someone "in His image and likeness
Since God is both omniscient and omnipresent all of His decisions are eternal since He exists in all time simultaneously. So God always knew His plan and decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

How to Reconcile Biblical Orthodoxy and Evolutionary Science, Part 1 of 2​

Preliminary advice​

Your massive, unedited wall of text is off-putting. This is a subject that I am deeply interested in, but I couldn't bring myself to wade through that huge flood of text. I offer the following advice as a writer and editor: If you want to increase the amount of engagement you receive, try breaking up such walls of text into smaller paragraphs consisting of maybe 150 words or less, and segregate those paragraphs topically with descriptive headers that introduce their individual topics.

God's Christ-centered purpose for mankind​

The Bible says that God created man—male and female—and placed them in the garden of Eden. He desired our welfare. He wanted people to be satisfied with their lives, to have their basic needs met, such as food, health, protection from violence, companionship, and to worship, obey, and devote themselves to him.

Man was supposed to transform the entire Earth into one great garden of Eden, and thanks to his perfection and God's blessing he would not suffer while performing this task. Unfortunately, man at Satan's instigation rebelled by breaking God's prohibition and choosing to decide for himself what was good and what was evil. Therefore, God banished him from the garden, depriving him of the opportunity to eat from the tree of life and perfection.

Adam and Eve had no children before the rebellion, so we all inherited their sin. God foresaw how difficult and painful man's life would be, which is not to say that he intended it from the beginning. His intention was completely different and he did not abandon it. He decided, no doubt with the consent of the person concerned, that he would send a Messiah who would correct the error of our forefathers and, in this way, people would return to their original state—they would live as Adam and Eve lived before they sinned, and continue God's intention to transform the planet (Revelation 21:1-5).

Everything God did since the expulsion from the garden of Eden served precisely to prepare the place for the activity of Jesus Christ who, through his death, will save mankind. And he succeeded in fulfilling his mission by remaining faithful to God, which Adam failed to do. He paid the ransom with his life (Romans 5:12-21).

The recalcitrant data that need reconciling​

But what is the history of the earth, life, and humans?

The earth began to take shape billions of years after the Big Bang. Initially, it was a fireball bombarded by meteorites which collided and mostly absorbed another planet. The debris from that planet formed a moon, whose gravity strongly affected Earth, although it began to weaken as it moved a few centimeters away each year. Only after hundreds of millions of years did the Earth assume a form on which life became possible.

Of course, rocks and chemical processes do not feel or think. I don't see anything contradictory to the Bible that ... [snip rest]

As I hope is clear and obvious, this draws the reader's attention and empowers reading comprehension rather than challenging it.

Anyway, on to the questions I wanted to answer. (See next post.)

Reactions: Fervent
Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

How to Reconcile Biblical Orthodoxy and Evolutionary Science, Part 2 of 2​

How do we reconcile God's intention for mankind, original sin, and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ with evolution?

I seem to have successfully reconciled biblical orthodoxy and evolutionary science by distinguishing between redemptive history on the one hand and natural history on the other, with significant help from John H. Walton, Gregory K. Beale, and S. Joshua Swamidass. It took several years to find a corresponding weak spot in both sides where one could begin the work of weaving them together in a reconciled tapestry befitting my conviction that nature and scripture must and will always paint a single, coherent, and harmonious portrait of reality, but I think that I’ve found it.

A seismic paradigm shift​

I experienced an epiphany after reading two important and pivotal books. The first was by Gregory K. Beale and it was called The Temple and the Church’s Mission (2004), and the other was by John H. Walton called The Lost World of Genesis One (2009). There were other authors who had a profound influence on me but those two books were instrumental to this epiphany and its rays of glimmering light. It needs to be pointed out, however, that it was independent of those two books, which means that neither Beale nor Walton articulated this perspective (and therefore I have no reason to think either of them would agree with it).

Anyway, it was a seismic paradigm shift, for it suddenly dawned on me that there had to be a categorical distinction between redemptive history on the one hand and natural history on the other—which is to say that they are not necessarily the same thing, that they could very well point to two different referents. Redemptive history is something that we explore theologically in scripture, while natural history is something that we explore scientifically in nature. What I perceived was that natural history is the stage upon which the drama of redemptive history unfolds, and it is redemptive history that reveals the meaning and purpose of natural history, all things pointing to Jesus Christ for the glory of God. It is like the difference between constructing a building and creating a temple.

And here is the key point: A contradiction results when you suggest that history had two different starting points, but only if there is one kind of history. If redemptive history and natural history are two different things, then no contradiction can result. It turns out that it's possible to suggest that redemptive history dawned upon the earth 6,000 years ago in the garden of Eden without necessarily entailing that natural history likewise started 6,000 years ago. Maybe it did, maybe it didn’t. That case would have to be made separately, whether exegetically or scientifically (or both).

Genesis is about the earthly start of redemptive history​

Theologians have been clear that the Bible is not about science but about salvation. From start to finish, it is about Christ and his redeeming work, his life, death, and resurrection. After he was raised from the dead, he encountered those two disciples on the road to Emmaus and, “beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them the things written about himself in all the scriptures” (Luke 24:27; cf. v. 44; John 5:39). The Reformed theological circles in which I travel understood this through a redemptive-historical hermeneutic, the heilshistorisch advocated by Geerhardus Vos and the Dutch Reformed. This redemptive history as revealed in scripture broke into our world in that moment when God entered into a covenant relationship with mankind through Adam, whom God created in his image and chose as our federal head. So, what we find in Genesis, then, is the earthly start of redemptive history.

What about the dawn of natural history?​

But what about the dawn of natural history? Young-earth creationists claim that Genesis speaks to that, too. However, they are relying on (1) a plain or straight-forward reading (2) of an English translation (3) using modern categories of thought—all of which they seem quite happy to admit. But if I may draw your attention to a salient point, notice that they are not using (1`) historical-grammatical exegesis (2`) of the original Hebrew language (3`) in its ancient Near Eastern context. They only dip their toe into the original Hebrew when arguing in defense of the Calendar Day view, that the days of Genesis 1 were normal 24-hour days—an argument they will always win because, quite frankly, they’re right about that.

So, what happens when you interpret Genesis literally, using a robust historical-grammatical exegesis that pays close attention to the original language and ancient cultural context and cognitive environment into which God revealed himself then? This is what Walton showed us. It turns out that Genesis is not an account of material origins but rather functional origins, with God establishing the cosmos as sacred space for his presence and rule, creating by fiat the functions and functionaries of this cosmic temple over a seven-day inauguration period.

(Notice, too, that young-earth creationists always talk about the "six days" of creation, which is how it’s described in the Westminster Confession of Faith, too, but Walton explains how this badly misses the mark. Genesis describes a seven-day creation week, wherein the seventh day is arguably the most important day.)

“I understand that, and it does make sense,” someone might say, “but couldn’t Genesis also be about material origins?” Well, yes, it certainly could be—but is it? You see, that's the question. And the answer must be responsibly drawn from the text, not merely assumed and imposed on the text from without just because it happens to be the most traditional and the one with which we are most familiar. Has anyone presented such an exegesis? Not to my knowledge.

The distinction that suggested a solution​

This categorical distinction between redemptive history and natural history struck me as a coherent and biblically consistent solution to reconciling evolutionary history and biblical orthodoxy. This particular view, which I am happy to call evolutionary creationism—Abraham Kuyper referred to it as “evolutionistic creation”—consolidates the theological work of Beale and the exegetical analyses of Walton, along with so many other influences like Vos, Machen, Warfield, Kidner, Murray, Kline, and more. On this view, the dawn of natural history occurred approximately 14 billion years ago and charts the “construction phase” of the cosmic temple, whereas the dawn of redemptive history reaches back to the garden roughly 6,000 years ago and is launched by a seven-day “inauguration phase” of the cosmic temple.

This view can be illustrated by the creation of Solomon’s temple, where its construction phase took place over several years and was followed by a seven-day dedication or inauguration phase. Observe the important and careful distinction between the building of a temple (which spanned billions years and is not conveyed in Genesis) and the creation of a temple (which spanned seven days and is conveyed in Genesis).

A single, coherent, and harmonious portrait of reality​

Consequently, on this view the first chapters of Genesis present a historical record (i.e., redemptive history), the days in Genesis 1 were normal 24-hour periods, Adam and Eve literally existed as real people, the events in the garden actually happened and it was only a few thousand years ago, etc.

And yet it is also true that the universe has existed for more than 13 billion years, the earth is over four billion years old, the dinosaurs were wiped out 65 million years ago, the evolutionary patterns of natural history are real, etc.

Both of these historical realities can be affirmed without contradiction or even the slightest tension. Both redemptive history and natural history are true. It was realizing that they aren’t the same thing that was the key to the whole thing, a realization that was influenced by a covenantal view of the universe as a cosmic temple.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I don't necessarily count myself as one fitting the description of desired participants in the OP, this is an area of quite a bit of interest for me. What I have come to as a way of reconciling the naturalistic account of history and the Biblical account of history is a position of agnosticism towards which is the true account, and instead focusing on the function of each source of knowledge. In short, I am an antrealist towards both the Bible and naturalistic history. I don't know if the method of inference to the best explanation is potent enough to do so on the scale of grand historic narratives, and history is not truly subject to observation.

So I accept that science provides functional models for making predictions about how animal life will proceed under present circumstances, but I do not know if the historic reconstructions are actually true or God created the universe in a state that simply appears to have taken billions of years. I don't need to know if its true to accept it as science, and to expect those who are working in the sciences to treat it as factual.

With the Bible, it primarily functions for revealing things about God that cannot be known through what is available in the natural world. I view it sort of like a "fictional" truth. So I treat the history it presents and the cosmology it presents as literal within the confines of my Biblical study. I don't try to force it to conform with what can be known from the natural sciences, but instead recognize that God chose to reveal truths about Himself in this way, at that time, to those people and treat all of these factors as significant. And so from the Bible I learn about God's character, and do not worry about whether or not it is a factual history. I recognize it very well could be, given the Spiritual forces that are in play and the cosmic battle that is presented within it. Though I tend to regard it as factually incredible in certain dimensions, because my worldview remains heavily influenced by naturalistic worldviews.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where does the man for whom Christ gave his life begin?
We migrated from Africa to Asia Linked below. Science has to improve.

More information. Quoted below:
"Our species name (which means 'wise humans' - though we might question the wisdom of that name today) was given to us by that great Swedish classifier Carl Linnaeus in 1758. In those pre-evolutionary times, species were usually considered to be fixed identities, created by God."

Pronounced differences in the braincase, ear bones and pelvis can still be recognised in fossils of Neanderthals and modern humans from 100,000 years ago. This suggests a separate evolutionary history going back much further - so far so good for differentiating H. neanderthalensis from H. sapiens.

Are Neanderthals the same species as us?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Pronounced differences in the braincase, ear bones and pelvis can still be recognised in fossils of Neanderthals and modern humans from 100,000 years ago. This suggests a separate evolutionary history going back much further - so far so good for differentiating H. neanderthalensis from H. sapiens.
It's always genetics that throws a wrench into phenotypic comparisons. Genetically, they are so close to us that they would, if they were two races of other mammals, be considered subspecies.

• Informative
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0